speaker wire question

Or you can spend bit more time and $$$ and build yourself something like this
IMG_20121104_160248.jpg

Pics don't do the cable justice. Still a WIP.

I don't understand the DIY cable thing. They obviously can't conduct the signal any better. And as far as looks...no. I suppose overly-intricate braiding has a certain geek-chic, but the sheathed ones just look...not good.

Of course, that's just me. But, I still don't get it.

actually it't the oppsite :) spend a little money and build better cables for less.

I bet i made my cables for 40-50$ and they are nicer and id bet they sound better too.

Cable manufactures make MILLIONS on cables, like those stupid monster a+ cables you can buy for 999$ us, you know the mark up on those in stores ?

Build your own cables you will be much happier..

Yeah I might give it a shot when I move my Infinity bookshelves back to my desk, already spent my 100 feet spool of that copper wire anyway.

Cheap Monoprice 14 gage wire and banana plugs for me, doubt I'd hear a difference with anything more intricate... http://db.tt/alKekXiX http://db.tt/QkDH5H8u

those are the ones i tell everyone to AVOID! don't use them.. :)

Silver and gold wire sound a bit different than copper. Not much, just a subtle change in the coloration. I prefer silver for the most part. It seems to have the most detail. Might be complete bullshit but I don't think so.

That's why i buy my silver teflon wire from ebay from the guy that gets it from wiring navy ships. Its mil spec wire..

You talking about the wires or the plugs? I haven't had any issues with the plugs, all my speakers/receivers have those five way binding posts, the plug goes in very solidly and there isn't any chance of it rubbing together (they don't have any wiggle that I've seen). They're banana plugs not pins...

Last edited:
You talking about the wires or the plugs? I haven't had any issues with the plugs, all my speakers/receivers have those five way binding posts, the plug goes in very solidly and there isn't any chance of it rubbing together (they don't have any wiggle that I've seen). They're banana plugs not pins...

Depends on the receiver, some are cheap an the plugs move easily. Some don't, I avoid them because I've seen many many times they have shored and caused issues.

That's why i buy my silver teflon wire from ebay from the guy that gets it from wiring navy ships. Its mil spec wire..

Shame he doesn't have clear teflon insulation ones, but I find his cables pretty microphonic and stiff for most of my audio applications.

Shame he doesn't have clear teflon insulation ones, but I find his cables pretty microphonic and stiff for most of my audio applications.

i think he has some solid core silver wire you can buy your own teflon tube ( cheap )

he does have ALL sorts of colors that look good braided etc etc.. I;m loving the orange and white, but ive done all his colors with different patterns.

red white
black white
orange white
green black
green white
purple white etc etc list goes on..

Solid core is bad for audio applications especially for headphone recables and speaker cables. They are not flexible and easily snap over time from constant bends. I also don't recommend the bare wire + teflon tube method because if you tap the wire itself, you can hear tapping noises through the headphones or speakers, at least with me in certain cases.

Solid core is bad for audio applications especially for headphone recables and speaker cables. They are not flexible and easily snap over time from constant bends. I also don't recommend the bare wire + teflon tube method because if you tap the wire itself, you can hear tapping noises through the headphones or speakers, at least with me in certain cases.

you are shitting me right ?

I have solid core silver wire here that is soft to move around and works perfect for audio, we use it on our photo cartridges and other small wiring inside pre-amps.. or signal paths.

tapping the wire and hearing it in your headphones, wow that's a new one for me, FOR SURE!! ( facepalm)

Huh? Certain wires lend themselves more or less to microphonics depending on the type, jacket, and headphone... Not sure if that was sarcasm or what.

you are shitting me right ?

I have solid core silver wire here that is soft to move around and works perfect for audio, we use it on our photo cartridges and other small wiring inside pre-amps.. or signal paths.

tapping the wire and hearing it in your headphones, wow that's a new one for me, FOR SURE!! ( facepalm)

Actually I should've been more clear on its use for headphone applications. As for the later bit to your post, It's called microphonics, don't believe me? (I had to dumb down on the terminology figuring most of you's would not know what it is) Go read all the other 100000 threads out there on audio forums for headphone recabling etc, I have used a wide variety load of wires, cables for DIY recabling and this is what I have experienced. You would also find other's not recommending solid core for the very reason I stated in my post before your reply

Huh? Certain wires lend themselves more or less to microphonics depending on the type, jacket, and headphone... Not sure if that was sarcasm or what.

Exactly. And no for the headphone bit.

Last edited:
Well it's gonna be more obvious on stuff like IEM, tho it'd be there either way.

Well it's gonna be more obvious on stuff like IEM, tho it'd be there either way.

I wouldn't even go near IEM's if I was using solid core wires. Before I started auditioning extremely expensive cable's as well as working with them, I used navships 24-26awg teflon insulated spc for some of work, it is cheap and the variety of different colours can become handy but it is absolutely horrible for headphone cables and some speaker cable work as well, heck I'd recommend the Mogami or Canare cables over the navship wires anyday if your using it for the said applications. For use of circuits in amp's or other DIY based projects, his wires are sufficient enough for the job.

actually it't the oppsite :) spend a little money and build better cables for less.
Huh? "Details" != "link to buy, please." Or can you identify the wire & twist/braid from the photo?

I see that MK's keeping his recipe secret here. No problem.

Huh? "Details" != "link to buy, please." Or can you identify the wire & twist/braid from the photo?

I made the cables by hand it was 1 hour each cable, the wire is from navships on eBay, the link is above. I used to make them all the time and sell them, from time to time I still do, when asked..

I don't have much experience in the consumer/home audio side, but I did sound and lighting throughout school...everything we used, as well as all the pro audio/touring companies is SJ/SJO cable.
Minimum of 14 gauge, sometimes 12, almost exclusively using Neutrik Speakons.
For background music/paging systems (25/70/100 volt distributed systems), you can use smaller wire, generally 16 or 18 gauge.
I worked on a school job, (we put in the systems in the auditoriums, cafeteria, music rooms, gyms) they ran 10 gauge THHN for the larger speakers (BIG AMPS!).
That stuff is not fun to work with, and is not designed to go into a Speakon...lol

I would probably just go to my box o' wire and find a piece of 18/2 or 16/2 the right length! Lamp cord will even work in a pinch.

The government will get me if I tell ya, and if I did tell ya, I would have to kill ya:D

It's nothing really special, just a cheap 3 meter speaker cable I'm building for fun atm.

Cost of materials is around $130 or so for the cable itself, with some spare stuff left for other DIY stuff.

Monofilament and Nylon braids various sizes (1/4, 1/8 and 3/16) from furryletters on ebay. Barry's assorted braids are highly recommended for any audio cable projects. = $50 excl shipping for me.

Matching size black/red heatshrink shrink from x:1 ratio = $15

Pure silver banana plugs/spades with screw lock-in heads = $18-20

Wire itself is a 16awg 24 strand Valab Silver Plated Copper in clear teflon insulation, bought about 20 meters worth = $40 excl shipping for me.

And finally just for aesthetic looks, some ViaBlue speaker polarity/coloured heatshrink = $15 or so.

There are two strands used, each individually shielded with monofilament, then another layer of nylon to prevent noise when the cables rub each other (monofilament does this). Then the cables are carefully twisted together similar to the Litz structure, ends then heatshrinked to have it hold position, then finally a final protection layer of nylon sheathed over the twisted pair wires. Will be posting a picture of the final build once done, still need thinking of a way to terminate the plugs onto it rather then just heatshrinking it, making it look good.

For me, clearance priced 12ga CL2 from home depot. 0.06$/ft+tax with tinned leads. I don't think you can really beat the value.

If you use them properly, why would you get a dead short? Just put some heatshrink over the outside of the banana plug if you are worried. Or just use a plain wire connection, it is just as good sonically, although less convenient and you have to be careful of stray wires.
As far as Matthew Kane's comment about $200 Monster ends, I believe he was being sarcastic.

If you use them properly, why would you get a dead short? Just put some heatshrink over the outside of the banana plug if you are worried. Or just use a plain wire connection, it is just as good sonically, although less convenient and you have to be careful of stray wires.
As far as Matthew Kane's comment about $200 Monster ends, I believe he was being sarcastic.

Sounds like a PITA to me, besides those ones in the link have such high mass, if you think about it, how many dam times are you going to unplug and plug in your speakers, like NILL you don it once and forget about it..

Why would you worry about shorts then unless you're dealing with equipment that has loose binding posts? Kind of the same thing...

you are shitting me right ? 200$ for ends from monster OUCH they come with lube too ?

Omg lol, your taking this too serious man, it was a sarcasim intended haha, do I look like someone who buy's into snake oil crap such as $200 ends from Monster?? I mean, it's from Monster...this should've been a dead giveaway....

hahahahaha:D

You made my evening.

Omg lol, your taking this too serious man, it was a sarcasim intended haha, do I look like someone who buy's into snake oil crap such as $200 ends from Monster?? I mean, it's from Monster...this should've been a dead giveaway....

hahahahaha:D

You made my evening.

Hate monsters over priced junk LOL!

Glad i made your evening tho !

Back