Speaker and Headphone Rigs Discussion

wow, that large sub looks awesome!
do you have some more pictures of the building process??

It sounds much better than it looks, i do have more pictures but it is just more of the same.

I'm working it but it is for sale so the price will have go up, i wanted to list it raw plywood first in case somebody wanted to veneer the piece.

The Plan was if it does not sell fast is to prime & paint black satin smooth oil finish.

Last edited:
My new arrivals !

Beyerdynamic Tesla and Audio Technica portable sealed...this completes the current upscale over and on ear headphone collection. [:p] Yes when I decide to have them all...I get them all. Next up collectors ubber Sony and all the Stax electrostatics... [:O] I shall have them all.

Superb build quality,sound very good out of the alu case, I am breaking these in right now. I will do a 48 hour break in and then do serious listening.

Next to the Ultrasone Edition 8

And...HD800 plus Grado's flagship...my current favorite dynamic headphones. [:D]

Now the flagship Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 over the ear and flagship on ear compact,plus Denon's finest the D7000. Gotta love the wood on these.

A simple headphone holder I made, on wall and can hold 18 large headphones. Used for DJ,studio monitoring and entry High-End cans.

Yep people...not on the way Sony's legendary dynamic and Stax best. Plus a few upscale headphone amps.

And finally one more look at the headphone listening desk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZmNdlUmZJM

Last edited:
Got some questions:

I've got AKG 702s hooked up to a Corda Symphony DAC/Amp. Right now I'm jsut using the USB coming out of my laptop (my desktop died)

1. What soundcard should I buy? The Corda Symphony DAC takes USB/Co-Axial/SPDIF source. I do play games, and I would like to watch Blu-Ray DVDs, but it's still 60% music

2. What music player software should I be using? i'm still using Winamp from my high school days, but apparently other software is better.

My new arrivals !

Beyerdynamic Tesla and Audio Technica portable sealed...this completes the current upscale over and on ear headphone collection. [:p] Yes when I decide to have them all...I get them all. Next up collectors ubber Sony and all the Stax electrostatics... [:O] I shall have them all.

No mention of the nice HD800s sitting on the bottom left of that
picture :p?

BSOD4U2, you sir most definitely [H]ardcore!

indeed. Who are you on head-fi :)

My collection is more modest though I should perhaps downsize it more.

Sources
X-fi Elite Pro
Keces 131 MK 2
Behringer DEQ2496
Audio GD DAC 19 DSP
Ipod touch 32g 3g
Yamaha RXV-663

amplifers
Goldpoint Headphone Pro

Speakers
XTZ 89 satellites plus center. 99:10 sub

headphones
German Maestro 435S
fostex T50RP
Ultrasone Pro 900
Ultrasone Edition 8
JVC DX 1000

yamaha rx-v795
energy rc-10
jbl venue sub12
orb audio mod2
orb audio super eight
audio technica ad-700

crossposted from head-fi >_>
I recently won some orb speakers and finally got em wired up yesterday. This is just temporary placement since I'm unsure if I'm gonna keep the orbs on the desk or the energys.

orbs.png

The orbs are great. I definitely wouldn't pay list price for them, unless I absolutely needed the small form factor and/or had a wife who doesn't like big speakers. The sub I definitely like a LOT more than the jbl sub I was using with the energys.

Those Orbs look pretty cool. I didn't realize they were that big. The RX-V795 was my first home theater receiver. Great unit!

Yeah, I think I've had it since 1999, maybe even earlier. Still works great. The only con is that I don't have the 795A version, where all the speaker connectors have binding posts instead of spring clips. It was a pain in the ass back in the day, but now that I use it just for stereo it doesn't matter :D

Who am I on Head-Fi... I am not even on Head-Fi. Cannot post, I joined and when I try to post anything or reply it says I do not have permission! Waste of time

Too bad because I am getting the Emmeline and Woo Audio finest headphone amps and a few other gems.

very pretty mike!

@ football76, might be worth elevating those lovely speakers off the desk a bit.

Just realized I didn't add into this thread as well :)

27" i7 iMac + Cambridge Audio 540a + Cambridge Audio Sirocco S30 + 2 IKEA dioder kits + A pair of 17" G5 iMac stands modded into speaker stands

Having fun with a long exposure and a zoom lens:

Low angle (you can see my rush-job of hacked up brackets here):

Thanks folks!

@Zink: eBay rules supreme. They weren't the cheapest things ever (Though a bargain at $20/ea if you ask me), but I just searched until I found someone selling more than qty 1 of the same stand (so I'd get a matching pair without much trouble on my end).

My new arrivals !

Superb build quality,sound very good out of the alu case, I am breaking these in right now. I will do a 48 hour break in and then do serious listening.

Next to the Ultrasone Edition 8

And...HD800 plus Grado's flagship...my current favorite dynamic headphones. [:D]

Now the flagship Audio-Technica ATH-W5000 over the ear and flagship on ear compact,plus Denon's finest the D7000. Gotta love the wood on these.

A simple headphone holder I made, on wall and can hold 18 large headphones. Used for DJ,studio monitoring and entry High-End cans.

Yep people...not on the way Sony's legendary dynamic and Stax best. Plus a few upscale headphone amps.

And finally one more look at the headphone listening desk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZmNdlUmZJM
Great cans. All I have now are my 10 DT48. Iwant to get the HD800 and NUforce oppo upgrade in a yr.

indeed. Who are you on head-fi :)

My collection is more modest though I should perhaps downsize it more.

Sources
X-fi Elite Pro
Keces 131 MK 2
Behringer DEQ2496
Audio GD DAC 19 DSP
Ipod touch 32g 3g
Yamaha RXV-663

amplifers
Goldpoint Headphone Pro

Speakers
XTZ 89 satellites plus center. 99:10 sub

headphones
German Maestro 435S
fostex T50RP
Ultrasone Pro 900
Ultrasone Edition 8
JVC DX 1000

My collection

3 DT48a. 2 APS V3 recabled. DT48e 8ohm 4pin Cardas recable. 3 DT48e 25ohm. Vintage and new. Original NAGRA 50's DT48s. Another DT48S. DT48e 200 ohm.

Yamaha 1800 A/V Receiver. OPPO83SE. Balanced and modded Bel Canto DAC 2. Gold Point V5 headphone amp.

5300 Panamax PC/surge protector, various ZU power cords.

well if you ever feel like donating to my charity, i'm open 24/7

I have seen the light, and it is golden. If I had only known several years ago that I could run a computer through a receiver, I could've saved myself a lot of time and money.

My Pioneer vsx-d307 with klipsch pro-media computer speakers (3), sound via Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. I've had this receiver since like 1994/95 or so, can't remember exactly, but it has aged very well.
I notice a tremendous increase in sound quality, seriously no lie. With the old Pro-media 2.1 setup I had a constant cracking and poping on the front speakers, which was extremely annoying. Now it's completely nonexistent. The Klipsch's are temporary until I can get some decent bookshelf speakers, though I don't know where I will put them:confused:
vsxd307.jpg

I don't have the room to position the receiver 'normal ways' but it works out well this way. I really only need access to the volume knob, which there is enough room to have. The Virtual (stereo) and pro-logic buttons are right next to the volume control, so I have access to them as well, if I want to change between the two.
volume.jpg

*edit to include the sub
Sub finally arrived. This sucka is a beast. Top-shelf quality all the way.
h100.jpg

Back panel hooked up
h100back.jpg

Sounds pro. I only wish I could get the front right speaker off that wall. I've always preferred the sound of pro-logic over 2.1 stereo, with or without the surround speakers, so that is what I mainly use, even if the center is set further back and blocked by the moniter, it still sounds better imho. Has more fill to it. I just have to be carefull to not push the Klipsch's to hard. I'm pretty satisfied with their sound, and may just hold off on a pair of bookshelf speakers indefinitely.

A couple overall pics
setupdi.jpg

This pic's got HDR :). To bad for the ratty home-made arm rests on my chair, ha.
setupbloom.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen the light, and it is golden. If I had only known several years ago that I could run a computer through a receiver, I could've saved myself a lot of time and money.

My Pioneer vsx-d307 with klipsch pro-media computer speakers (3), sound via Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. I've had this receiver since like 1994/95 or so, can't remember exactly, but it has aged very well.
I notice a tremendous increase in sound quality, seriously no lie. With the old Pro-media 2.1 setup I had a constant cracking and poping on the front speakers, which was extremely annoying. Now it's completely nonexistent. The Klipsch's are temporary until I can get some decent bookshelf speakers, though I don't know where I will put them:confused:
vsxd307.jpg

I don't have the room to position the receiver 'normal ways' but it works out well this way. I really only need access to the volume knob, which there is enough room to have. The Virtual (stereo) and pro-logic buttons are right next to the volume control, so I have access to them as well, if I want to change between the two.
volume.jpg

*edit to include the sub
Sub finally arrived. This sucka is a beast. Top-shelf quality all the way.
h100.jpg

Back panel hooked up
h100back.jpg

Sounds pro. I only wish I could get the front right speaker off that wall. I've always preferred the sound of pro-logic over 2.1 stereo, with or without the surround speakers, so that is what I mainly use, even if the center is set further back and blocked by the moniter, it still sounds better imho. Has more fill to it. I just have to be carefull to not push the Klipsch's to hard. I'm pretty satisfied with their sound, and may just hold off on a pair of bookshelf speakers indefinitely.

A couple overall pics
setupdi.jpg

This pic's got HDR :). To bad for the ratty home-made arm rests on my chair, ha.
setupbloom.jpg

Ghetto!

I hate to be repeating a question, but this thread is too long to read through.

1. great pictures of your set ups!!

2.I have to admit those pics I saw have made me rethink my audio set up haha... I was wondering how are you connecting your computer to the amps for those that are using bookshelf style speakers (which is almost all of the ones showing off their systems haha)

Furthermore, is the sound wayy better than the ones you can buy for computers, I.E. Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra MX6021 or logitech speakers?

We can quote all the pics we want in this thread.. We just need to keep the picture thread clean.

it should all be one thread --- fucking chaos trying to separate the picture and discussion threads.

idiotic, imho....confuses everyone and is a pain to respond since you cant quote the image.

it should all be one thread --- fucking chaos trying to separate the picture and discussion threads.

idiotic, imho....confuses everyone and is a pain to respond since you cant quote the image.

6 pages of bullshit before you get to a picture in a "picture" thread is idiotic imo. It's faster to cut n paste a quoted pic than to scroll / next / scroll / next / scroll / next / scroll / next / quoted pic / scroll / next / scroll /next / next / next / red x's / next wtf

if you're in the the picture thread already.. it's simple.. hit quote/copy picture link/go to page one for the link to the discussion / reply / paste.

Last edited:
6 pages of bullshit before you get to a picture in a "picture" thread is idiotic imo. It's faster to cut n paste a quoted pic than to scroll / next / scroll / next / scroll / next / scroll / next / quoted pic / scroll / next / scroll /next / next / next / red x's / next wtf

if you're in the the picture thread already.. it's simple.. hit quote/copy picture link/go to page one for the link to the discussion / reply / paste.

this is the only thread on any forum ive ever read that has done it this way

why aren't other threads/forums having the same issue that you are guessing will happen?

edit: why dont they fix the code so if an image is quoted it is thumbnailed so it doesn't take up so much real estate (e.g genmay.com forums do)

this is the only thread on any forum ive ever read that has done it this way

why aren't other threads/forums having the same issue that you are guessing will happen?

edit: why dont they fix the code so if an image is quoted it is thumbnailed so it doesn't take up so much real estate (e.g genmay.com forums do)

it was this way originally... people bitched about it being the other way then and all the scrolling that had to be done... I left if up to the posters and that's the way it swayed. the consensus was to have a "picture thread" with just pictures. It also was a lot harder for me to clean up with all the o/t posts and red x's. Not sure what to tell you on the code. Could ask Kyle and crew. I can make this thread a sticky again but there are already a lot of stickys with the recent coverage in audio by the [H].

Back