Speaker and Headphone Rigs Discussion

Shot of my rig decorated for Christmas in astounding blackberry quality.

9hSg9.jpg

WA6-SE fed by a PicoDAC
HD650, D7000, and ATH-ESW10

Maybe I should of bought a new camera instead :p

How do you like that amp? Did you get all of the upgrades or just the SE version? Does the Pico sound nice feeding that beast? Have you recabled the Sennheisers or any of your other headphones?

How do you like that amp? Did you get all of the upgrades or just the SE version? Does the Pico sound nice feeding that beast? Have you recabled the Sennheisers or any of your other headphones?

I just got the base WA6-SE without the capacitor upgrade. I couldn't justify spending $450 on some capacitors. The SE already has a pretty good power supply design using chokes, and to my ears is dead quiet at all volumes. I might try changing the interstage resistor at some point to an "audiophile" one, but even those are only a couple bucks. I did however get a boutique rectifier tube, an emission lab's 5U4G. I can't say it made any big improvements in sound, but I am a sucker for cool looking stuff. (part of the reason for getting a tube amp to begin with). I guess the big catch with tube amps is having a quality power supply because they require a little more love than ss to give good results..

I have been really happy with the PICO too. My computer and laptop sound outputs all have a considerable amount of noise in them which was my motivation to go external. Switching between the my computers and ipod/fuze, the pico sounded much better than all of them.

I don't believe in the cable voodoo, but all the stock cables seem pretty nice. The esw10 cable is a little short but I use it at work and as a portable so it all works out.

Thanks for the reply, you have a great setup. I wish I could hear something like that in person before buying it! May I ask what type of music you listen to and if the tube amp improves your listening experience over a solid state?

The headphone collection(half of the headphones I own pictured) is growing and growing...

Next week it will grow again! Denon and Audio Technica flagship style.

Thanks for the reply, you have a great setup. I wish I could hear something like that in person before buying it! May I ask what type of music you listen to and if the tube amp improves your listening experience over a solid state?

I listen to just about everything minus really heavy metal and most hip-hop. My favorite genre is prog/classic rock, but I am also a big fan of idm, electronic, pop, folk, indie and some foreign stuff.

The only solid state i have listened to have been PMPs and portable amps so i cant give it a fair comparison, but its much more enjoyable then all those.

How does the HD800 stack up...

Quite simply the most refined headphones money can buy south of the STAX flagship electrostatic headphone/amp combination !
Denon's flagship sealed have more impressive bass,the Grado flagship has more monitor like analitical soundbut...the HD800 is so balanced (yet supremly detailed) and disapears . You do not feel this masterpiece ,it floats leaving music, and you can wear them for hours with no fatigue.

These are my new reference for all around sound and comfort.

Anyone interested in headphones on this level should consider a very high qiuality headphone amp to fully take advantage of the potential.

Heck even the HD600 deserve a proper amp.

Latest family pic,the Denon AH-D7000 sounds fantastic. Seriously impressed with the sound quality these closed back headphones offer, also least expensive of the three by a descent margin!

If anyone is interested in a very lightly used (less than 10 hours) Denon AH-D2000, I'm selling mine for $165 shipped. I posted a thread with pics in the For Sale / Trade forum, earlier today. I think my thread is on the page 6 or 7 by now. I can't bump it for a few more hours, so thought I'd mention it here. Me so sneaky!! ;) :p

Price drop: $140 shipped!

Last edited:
How does the HD800 stack up...

Quite simply the most refined headphones money can buy south of the STAX flagship electrostatic headphone/amp combination !
Denon's flagship sealed have more impressive bass,the Grado flagship has more monitor like analitical soundbut...the HD800 is so balanced (yet supremly detailed) and disapears . You do not feel this masterpiece ,it floats leaving music, and you can wear them for hours with no fatigue.

These are my new reference for all around sound and comfort.

Anyone interested in headphones on this level should consider a very high qiuality headphone amp to fully take advantage of the potential.

Heck even the HD600 deserve a proper amp.
You make me want one. I do have a modded & balanced Bel Canto DAC2.. Was 1,200 in 01.. Still is a great DAC.. & I have a upgraded Goldpoint amp pro. Best amp I heard for under a grand. Works wonders with my Ortho's & 7 DT48 headphones.

Finally brought the sub home! Speakers are positioned for listening on the bed not the chair since most of my HT and music viewing is done from there. I think I'm finally done for a while, only thing left is maybe a tube pre-amp to feed the direct in on the Denon. :)

DSC_3636.jpg

I hope you don't end up kicking the sub ...

Skyline, can you take a photo of the back of your desk? i didn't see any wiring so i assume u have it fixed up, and i need some ideas. thanks.

what stand are the components on in the pic above?

The stand is actually a small TV stand I bought a couple of Christmas's back. I think I got it at Walmart? Lol it was cheap but it's actually pretty nice; the veneer is a lot better than most I see these days.

Skyline, can you take a photo of the back of your desk? i didn't see any wiring so i assume u have it fixed up, and i need some ideas. thanks.

Sorry, I don't actually have any fancy wiring. I have flat speaker cable so that tucks neatly in along the floor against the wall and the outlets are hidden by the small white trash can tucked underneath the desk. :eek:

My latest arrivals! :p

Next up will be the Stax collection and Beyer Dynamic Tesla when it comes out(on order)

For now...

Now in a pile O headphones,cheapies and High-End. :eek:

Lets see...

UltraSone Special 8, Grado PS-1000, Sennheiser HD800, AudioTechnica ATH-W5000, Denon D7000 are alone worth $6000. Then the rest a mere...5000-6000(not seen clearly are many upscale in ear). Around $12000 in headphones,not counting the $4000 of headphone amps on the way.

Still cheaper than the Dynaudio Confidence C4 I will take possession. My poor Contour 3.3 and S5.4 / S3.4 will be relegated to secondary duties. :p

And this is a small fraction of my audio lunacy.When excellence calls, the budget goes out the window in a hurry.

wow... how much did you all spend on ur speakers/sub/receiver etc.??? my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 are probably garbage compare to any of ur setups but they just decided to stop working again and i don't want to spend anymore money to repair the subamp as they are a known problem to Klipsch and they won't do anything about it...

anybody got any suggestions of whether I should just keep the speakers and buy a receiver and a sub and continue to use my Klipsch speakers?? room is very small so also considering a 2.1 setup... and would like to use this as my PC speakers/TV/PS3/xbox what do u guys think would be best?

Never heard from anyone (or if they posted it was deleted :)) how do the DT-990's compare to the 770's? Is one easier to drive than another, better sound, lack of bass in one, etc.
My answer was deleted during "The Great Purge." :p

I've never used the DT770, so can't offer any legitimate comments. Sorry, man. IMO, the 990 has much fuller/more powerful bass than the Denon D2000, Ultrasone 780, or Grado 80 -- all are phones I've owned or tried.

I've never used the DT770, so can't offer any legitimate comments. Sorry, man. IMO, the 990 has much fuller/more powerful bass than the Denon D2000, Ultrasone 780, or Grado 80 -- all are phones I've owned or tried.

i have the 770's and what i heard is the 990's are more open than the 770's. so you will hear somewhat more outside sounds with them than the 770's. haven't tried the 990's but would like to at some point :)

someone described my 770's as a awesome car audio system, but on your head in a pair of headphones ;)

Yeah, it was kinda annoying to see that but w/e. :)

i have the 770's and what i heard is the 990's are more open than the 770's. so you will hear somewhat more outside sounds with them than the 770's. haven't tried the 990's but would like to at some point :)

someone described my 770's as a awesome car audio system, but on your head in a pair of headphones ;)

Then I think I will stick with the 770's as my choice. I just wasnt sure what differences there were since they are both about the same price at guitar center.

Yeah, it was kinda annoying to see that but w/e. :)

Then I think I will stick with the 770's as my choice. I just wasnt sure what differences there were since they are both about the same price at guitar center.

yeah the 990's are semi opened. you can also check amazon they had a sale awhile back for hte 770's i think for 115 or so? :eek:

i think u need a amp to drive the 250ohm ones, the 80ohm do not need one. the 250ohm will work without the amp but sound better with one

True. the 990 is an "open" set.

If you guys have a problem with pics and discussion in seperate threads... try looking up one huge thread with pages and pages of conversation that had nothing to do with the pics. (Isn't that the point of a pic thread?) Sometimes the thread had many pages in a row w/out pictures.

We decided that keeping the picture thread "clean" would be the best option. I posted this question to the forum and that was the consensus... so it wasn't "my" decision.

Now the new members know why we do it this way. Look at the cleanup I have to do in the pic thread already.. even with the HUGE red letters in the first post... It was much worse in the old thread. Sorry. No one wants to scroll through every three pages to see a picture on a picture thread. Also, no one is stopping you from quoting pics in the discussion thread... I even say in the post. "quote all you want" But I guess I can't expect people to read.

Anyone else want to go back to the way it was?

Last edited:
it's crappy because i just end up private mesaging the person to ask about their gear... which is bad for the forum because everyone else misses out on the conversation

The moderator is correct, a picture thread is a picture thread. No discussion , or the GOULAG awaits. The people here have no idea how deep the great purge goes. :p

cyberbone said:
What Speakers are those?
TIA

Those are Insignia speakers, a brand owned by Best Buy. They has a bit of a following back sometime around '06, 07, somewhere in there. I've had them kicking around for a long time, and never bothered upgrading for various reasons. Although I do have some replacements coming that were hardly any more money, but are undervalued, being DIY in design. Will post when they arrive.

Back