• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SP1 really sucks. Big time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because restoring backups is always really quick and painless.

Dumb ass........
backing up is only half the battle....you should do regular checks of your backs to ensure they are good...and in doing so restoring should take just as long or a little longer than backing up....minus a rebuild if that has to happen
 
backing up is only half the battle....you should do regular checks of your backs to ensure they are good...and in doing so restoring should take just as long or a little longer than backing up....minus a rebuild if that has to happen

I have to disagree, unless we are talking about disk cloning. Restoring backed up data/OS installs is not always quick and easy.
 
35fps is still plenty playable, after the alien base or cocoon whatever it is, my fps took a nose dive running at 1280 with everything marked Very High and dx10 of course. Otherwise the entire game ran very smooth on my rig except for that one section.
 
I have to disagree, unless we are talking about disk cloning. Restoring backed up data/OS installs is not always quick and easy.
quick and easy depends. On a desktop a dump of all your docs/music/movies to an external hd takes a bit of time but nothing too ridiculous.

people that got hosed take note.

On a desktop if the system is properly configured the OS and data should be compartmentalized on different drives or partitions. Your "My Docs" should typically not live on the c drive. So essentially you can load up the data on any server/pc that has the same apps you need to use that data....

ie if your mp3's are in a folder it doesnt matter where it lives and as long as you have itunes installed it will play fine.
 
I installed the 32-bit update on 3 different machines...two laptops and one desktop with no issues. My transfer speeds for my usb stick went from 6.5MB/sec to 7.6MB/sec with the same files.
 
I love threads like this where i can just read and laugh for a few minutes. SP1 installed on x64 Ultimate w/ no issues.

Don't blame the currently optional patch for totally ruining your life when you don't take the proper precautions, it worries me that people like this will someday probably be working in IT (if they aren't already). Gives the rest of us who know what we're doing a bad rap...
 
I agree's 100%. Engineering should be testing and deploying this to production machines, not end-users.


Again, WHY are you installing a service pack, via auto update, on a production machine without PRE-TESTING?????? In a business, auto updates should be OFF, as in "NOT AUTO".
 
I just finished installing it on this Dell XPS M1530, no problems so far...
 
I knew it was sarcasm. I was making my post in response to the post about Mac people thinking they never have issues.

Right. Funny how everyone I know that runs a mac runs parallels with XP on it. I do like their commercials though. SP1 on Vista has been great for me. Couldn't get me to switch.
 
To the guy that started this thread, did you reformat your $7000 workstation already? If you haven't, maybe you can still get your valuable data...pop in a LiveCD (Knoppix, et. al.) and just transfer the folder/files and worry about permissions later (Since it seems that you're worried about those stuff). It's not better than a running backup every night, but at least you get your data back before you do a reformat.

And just like every sane person would do in a work-environment, auto-updates should be turned off.

Cheers.
 
Because restoring backups is always really quick and painless.

Dumb ass........

Restoring backups has nothing to do with it. At least if you are able to restore a backup, you have something to restore.

In this case, if you have no backup to restore, well... SOL.



Amazes me how people cheap their way out of proper backup devices (even if another $100 for hard drive), then end up crashing and burning later on.
It's inevitable. For anyone to truly appreciate data backup, you've got to lose it all first.
 
It is truly pathetic you need to "backup your system" before running an OS patch in 2008 for the so called industry standard OS.



HA, HA, Ha, Ha , Ha!!! Thats a Good one.
What>? You weren't joking? Oh.
Not smrt much huh?
 
HA, HA, Ha, Ha , Ha!!! Thats a Good one.
What>? You weren't joking? Oh.
Not smrt much huh?

Yea, no kidding...

The bottom line is this damn thing was an OPTIONAL update.

Even more of the bottom line, this is 2008, but hardware failure, natural disasters, and funky data errors will always exist- no excuse to not back up.
 
This has done in two of my computers now.

I just got the latest update form MS and it took a long time. When it finally re booted it BSOD and kept BSOD and now it in a loop of restarting and BSOD.

Vista 64 Ultimate was working pretty good until now. Now nothing but BSOD.
This was an auto update with MS. Pretty crapy of a SP1. This should realy impress companies since I am on a $7,000.00 work station that is only 1 year old. Not a good sign. Time for companies to run not walk away from this Vista crap. At last count it has restarted 26 times now. Without a good reboot. Can not even get safe mode to work. It just keeps cycling.

Three days of work down the tubes. What a really reliable Operating System!!!!!!
:mad::mad::(:(

Even tried to go back to last good time. Still will not go into windows Vista.... BAd BaD BAD baD

vista ultimate and business i believe has an imaged based hdd backup utility. not only does it work well but it would have certainly helped you in this case.
 
Nope. I couldn't get that with a dual QX9775 setup and two 8800GTX's@Ultra speeds. :eek:

Its not for playing games all the time it is a workstation that runs games with a 8800 gts 92. but I use it for plant design in solids and pipe layout and design. Which are the extensive programs I use and it looks like it is going to be one of those programs that crash SP1 as I have now done some tinkering. By ::

This install is very interesting. I did a fresh Vista 64 install. I logged in as administrator and loaded my virus protection first. The auto update started loading a bunch of stuff. Then again checked the auto update, Nothing more to load. I then loaded Evga’s 169.44 graphics drivers and the update started running on its own like it should, but it was loading SP1 now. So I let it run and it took 2 hours and several reboots but it worked this time. So the search to figure out the program that causes SP1 to crash is on. The solid design software is probly the culprit because they access the cpu's with intensity. In a day or two I should know. But I did notice one other thing that happened after SP1 I can not log in as administrator and load some programs now. It will not release the temp directory to the administrator. Strange sort of thing to do.
 
Well I have install the SP1 on 2 vista ultimate x64 boxes, 2 vista home premium x64, 1 vista home premium x86 and a laptop running vista ultimate x86.

not one issue so far but network transfers have increased in speed

They were all AMD machines with AMD/ATi chipsets and video cards
 
Does anyone here do S3 standby and actually put the computer to sleep? After updating SP1 on both of my HTPC's I seem to have a problem with the computer waking from sleep.

My main rig was put to sleep before bed and was on when I woke up.

My bedroom HTPC was put to sleep this morning and was on when I got home from work.
 
Its not for playing games all the time it is a workstation that runs games with a 8800 gts 92. but I use it for plant design in solids and pipe layout and design. Which are the extensive programs I use and it looks like it is going to be one of those programs that crash SP1 as I have now done some tinkering. By ::

This install is very interesting. I did a fresh Vista 64 install. I logged in as administrator and loaded my virus protection first. The auto update started loading a bunch of stuff. Then again checked the auto update, Nothing more to load. I then loaded Evga’s 169.44 graphics drivers and the update started running on its own like it should, but it was loading SP1 now. So I let it run and it took 2 hours and several reboots but it worked this time. So the search to figure out the program that causes SP1 to crash is on. The solid design software is probly the culprit because they access the cpu's with intensity. In a day or two I should know. But I did notice one other thing that happened after SP1 I can not log in as administrator and load some programs now. It will not release the temp directory to the administrator. Strange sort of thing to do.

You should always load your anti-virus software LAST. It can fuck up the installation of programs and patches.
 
SP1 here has actually made vista better for me, file transfers have speeded up and also deleting stuff is now instant than what it was like before, those 2 were one of my main gripes, as it could take ages to transfer large files and deleting stuff, well it could take ages for it to even start deleting, but with sp1 that has now been fixed.

Also I have noticed, now this may not be due to sp1, but I have noticed that my internet is now snappier, webpages seem to load instantly, they did that before, but I would click on a bookmark and wait about 5- 10 seconds on blank page and then whatever site would then show up fully loaded, but now as soon as i click on book mark the page instantly appears and has basically fully loaded, now whether thats due to sp1 i dont know as I was messing about with my MTU settings just before sp1 so I really cant say, but overall I think sp1 has made vista snappier at my end and I for one am glad of it.
 
Well, I installed it on my Vista Ultimate Dell XPSm1330... I don't see any difference at all :(
 
Its not for playing games all the time it is a workstation that runs games with a 8800 gts 92. but I use it for plant design in solids and pipe layout and design. Which are the extensive programs I use and it looks like it is going to be one of those programs that crash SP1 as I have now done some tinkering. By ::

Wait, your 7k workstation only has an 8800GTS? What the hell did you waste the other 6.7k on? I was figuring you had SLI'd Quadros or something getting the price up that high or does that price include software licenses?
 
Its not for playing games all the time it is a workstation that runs games with a 8800 gts 92. but I use it for plant design in solids and pipe layout and design. Which are the extensive programs I use and it looks like it is going to be one of those programs that crash SP1 as I have now done some tinkering. By ::

This install is very interesting. I did a fresh Vista 64 install. I logged in as administrator and loaded my virus protection first. The auto update started loading a bunch of stuff. Then again checked the auto update, Nothing more to load. I then loaded Evga’s 169.44 graphics drivers and the update started running on its own like it should, but it was loading SP1 now. So I let it run and it took 2 hours and several reboots but it worked this time. So the search to figure out the program that causes SP1 to crash is on. The solid design software is probly the culprit because they access the cpu's with intensity. In a day or two I should know. But I did notice one other thing that happened after SP1 I can not log in as administrator and load some programs now. It will not release the temp directory to the administrator. Strange sort of thing to do.
Never ever ever EVER load any sort of drivers or software except your network drivers before doing your updates after a fresh install.
 
Never ever ever EVER load any sort of drivers or software except your network drivers before doing your updates after a fresh install.

I have heard that same sentence thousands of times, and guess what, out of the thousands of times that I have installed xp and other OS's and went from installing windows to chipset drivers to video drivers to nic drivers to sound drivers and then windows updates, Nothing bad ever happened by doing it in that order.

99.9% of the time nothing will happen and you will be perfectly ok installing other drivers before windows updates, it may not be the best thing to do and certainly isnt a habit to get into, but doing it that way certainly is not the boogey man that loads of people seem to think it is, if MS thought or knew that updates would wreck everyones pc's because they had other software installed on them, chances are MS wouldnt release updates in the way that they do now, they would probably release them on cd's every 6 months or some retarded scheme like that.

Am I saying it cant cause problems doing it that way ? no I am not, but the chances of getting problems with win updates is probably the same with or without other drivers installed in my working experience, barring a known hardware or software conflict that is.
 
I have heard that same sentence thousands of times, and guess what, out of the thousands of times that I have installed xp and other OS's and went from installing windows to chipset drivers to video drivers to nic drivers to sound drivers and then windows updates, Nothing bad ever happened by doing it in that order.


Well, personally, I've had issues with NOT installing the drivers that come in the box.
The update on Windows Update actually BSOD the video cards (just cheaper ones- nothing special) if I use it... SOMETIMES. Have dozens of identical hardware machines. Some BSOD and some don't. But the thing consistent is if I use the driver in the box- it works.
 
I have heard that same sentence thousands of times, and guess what, out of the thousands of times that I have installed xp and other OS's and went from installing windows to chipset drivers to video drivers to nic drivers to sound drivers and then windows updates, Nothing bad ever happened by doing it in that order.

99.9% of the time nothing will happen and you will be perfectly ok installing other drivers before windows updates, it may not be the best thing to do and certainly isnt a habit to get into, but doing it that way certainly is not the boogey man that loads of people seem to think it is, if MS thought or knew that updates would wreck everyones pc's because they had other software installed on them, chances are MS wouldnt release updates in the way that they do now, they would probably release them on cd's every 6 months or some retarded scheme like that.

Am I saying it cant cause problems doing it that way ? no I am not, but the chances of getting problems with win updates is probably the same with or without other drivers installed in my working experience, barring a known hardware or software conflict that is.

I'm in agreement. I always do things in this order: OS > chipset drivers > video card drivers > other hardware > OS updates > software&games > anti-virus

Out of thousands of installations that's always worked with very few problems.

On occasion I have issues installing certain drivers as some of them now depend on updated DLL files provided by Windows updates however this is generally rare. Usually this type of thing only occurs with odd hardware. A good example of this was on the ASUS P5W DH. To use the hardware based Silicon Image controller you had to do all your Windows updates in order to make it work properly. I had this issue on my system when I ran that board. Morry also couldn't make that controller work when he did the review of it. Generally for reviews we don't bother with the Windows updates. (Aside from SP2) so it probably never occured to him. I did it having no other way to go and it worked.

Since then it has happened a couple more times but mostly with video capture cards and crap like that. Oh and for ATI cards you have to make sure .NET is updated (which is a travesty) and there is some other update I think is necessary to make everything work smoothly.
 
You should always load your anti-virus software LAST. It can fuck up the installation of programs and patches.


I wish I could but I get nailed from china and russia about 30 times an hour. So I need to install 2 firewalls and a hard wired firewall and a pretty good security system way before I can get on the net.

But this was an operating system and it auto loaded SP1 and crashed that is why I did a fresh install and then graphics only then the protection suite and then the updates including SP1 with no problems this time. Then all the other garbage.

Now it works OK But I realy did not want to have do a new install. OH well Now it works.
 
I wish I could but I get nailed from china and russia about 30 times an hour. So I need to install 2 firewalls and a hard wired firewall and a pretty good security system way before I can get on the net.

But this was an operating system and it auto loaded SP1 and crashed that is why I did a fresh install and then graphics only then the protection suite and then the updates including SP1 with no problems this time. Then all the other garbage.

Now it works OK But I realy did not want to have do a new install. OH well Now it works.


How about just spend $50 on a router?
 
I wish I could but I get nailed from china and russia about 30 times an hour. So I need to install 2 firewalls and a hard wired firewall and a pretty good security system way before I can get on the net.

But this was an operating system and it auto loaded SP1 and crashed that is why I did a fresh install and then graphics only then the protection suite and then the updates including SP1 with no problems this time. Then all the other garbage.

Now it works OK But I realy did not want to have do a new install. OH well Now it works.

You wouldn't have that problem with a $50 router.
 
Well, my Vx64 box LOVES SP1 - very fast and snappy. Only issues was it reset all of my X-Fi settings, but it only took 5 mintues to fix all of that. Very happy there.

However, on my other , secondary box, Vx86, the install bombed out halfway through (just hungup) and will not install. So an OS reinstall may be in order. Not real happy as I'll have to call MS to reactivate and all that crap.
 
Well, my Vx64 box LOVES SP1 - very fast and snappy. Only issues was it reset all of my X-Fi settings, but it only took 5 mintues to fix all of that. Very happy there.

However, on my other , secondary box, Vx86, the install bombed out halfway through (just hungup) and will not install. So an OS reinstall may be in order. Not real happy as I'll have to call MS to reactivate and all that crap.

hey ya my x-fi settings were reset too! I hadn't even noticed yet though :(

I thought something was weird...
 
I wouldn't worry about the order in which you install drivers for windows update. Majority of the people who do the windows update (SP1 for this matter) have all other drivers installed. It wouldn't be a piratical idea if MS created a updated driver or service pack that need to be installed before all other drivers that has the OS already configured. We would need to reinstall the OS every time a driver or service pack release.

How do you get 2 software base (are they software base?) firewall and a wired firewall working together without any conflicts? I just ask because I do not know much about advance firewall configurations.

My order is usually for the most part:
OS>chipset>video>sound>malicious drivers and peripheral>windows update
 
I thought all was good until after I played COD4. I got bsods in 10 min of gameplay. I tried multiple drivers and it still happened. I even get random bsods just surfing the web, or listening to music. I even reformatted my whole computer, and did a clean install, and got the bsods. Guess i'm going to uninstall sp1. It wasn't any different anyways, just caused more problems.
 
Vista blows chunks and anyone saying otherwise is a damn fool. I can't imagine someone freewillingly paying for that POS.
 
You wouldn't have that problem with a $50 router.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crewzen
I wish I could but I get nailed from china and russia about 30 times an hour. So I need to install 2 firewalls and a hard wired firewall and a pretty good security system way before I can get on the net.

But this was an operating system and it auto loaded SP1 and crashed that is why I did a fresh install and then graphics only then the protection suite and then the updates including SP1 with no problems this time. Then all the other garbage.

Now it works OK But I realy did not want to have do a new install. OH well Now it works.

I have an good router and a hardware firewall but some of the hacks get through and that is why I load some more protection.

Its like sex it fun and easy without protection but has some drawbacks.
 
I thought all was good until after I played COD4. I got bsods in 10 min of gameplay. I tried multiple drivers and it still happened. I even get random bsods just surfing the web, or listening to music. I even reformatted my whole computer, and did a clean install, and got the bsods. Guess i'm going to uninstall sp1. It wasn't any different anyways, just caused more problems.
If it starts BSODing even after reformatting... sounds like hardware issues, not SP1 issues. Unless by reformatting you mean reinstalling, and then reapplying SP1.

Guess you learned your lesson, eh? Don't install optional updates if you aren't ready for consequences.

But this was an operating system and it auto loaded SP1 and crashed
SP1 doesn't auto load. Everyone here can claim BS on that...
Look alot better if you'd just tell it like it is "I manually opted in to install SP1, it BSOD my computer, and now I have to blame it on someone".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top