SP1 really sucks. Big time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm missing something. Why is reinstalling the OS and "many very expensive" programs easier than letting a backup run overnight?
And what does the cost of the program have to do with its ease of backupedness?

failed install error code is 0x800706B5
goes to step 3 of 3 100% and fails. Other forums are reporting the same problem.

Yea thats the fix. thanks. But a format and reinstall would be faster than going thru that hell.

Its actually related to you not having file permissions. and missing registry codes. That will fix it but the command might run for up to 8 hours. And I'll have it reinstalled long before that.

I downloaded the stand-alone version and updated all five of my systems without a hitch. Everything is working fine for me.

same here. I don't understand all this crap about vista sucking. its worked great for me ever since I've installed it... even on a raid0 array. Good luck to the op

I installed Vista SP1 on my laptop. Installed perfectly fine. Was there a major performance increase or battery life/power management optimization or something?

I installed Vista SP1 on my laptop. Installed perfectly fine. Was there a major performance increase or battery life/power management optimization or something?

Laptop startup times were supposed to have been significantly decreased. I can't wait to install it on my wife's laptop. I'm expecting miracles...or hoping anyway. :p

I never understood these companies that go with a new OC right from the start. Hell, half the laptops where I work were using 2000 in the summer of 2006, then they started rolling out XP. I think the desktops were rolled out with XP a little sooner. Plus, nothing got updated until it was tested throughly. Of course we also used alot of our own software, so that may have had something to do with it, but we weren't going out upgrading the day things came out.

no problems here i uninstalled the rc version and installed the new sp1 manually off of the 750MB d/l that HardOcp posted ont he frontpage.

ive actually noticed a increase in my portable usb drive transfer rtate was 7-8 now 10-11MB transfer rate.

on crappy 20gb port drive.

n the auto checks things and they are OK and it screws up, then someone isn't doing there work at MS Audrey!!

Again, WHY are you installing a service pack, via auto update, on a production machine without PRE-TESTING?????? In a business, auto updates should be OFF, as in "NOT AUTO".

SP1 is out for auto update as of around 7pm when I checked. That's how I got mine.

Again, WHY are you installing a service pack, via auto update, on a production machine without PRE-TESTING?????? In a business, auto updates should be OFF, as in "NOT AUTO".

One thing to remember is it's an optional update right now. Until they make it a critical update, it will only download and install if you choose to. It will not do it on its own even if you have autoupdate enabled. That only downloads critical updates, not optional ones.

One thing to remember is it's an optional update right now. Until they make it a critical update, it will only download and install if you choose to. It will not do it on its own even if you have autoupdate enabled. That only downloads critical updates, not optional ones.

Yes, I think I had to click view updates and select it. Note that I ran windows update twice as I do not have auto update enable. First time I ran the update it did not include SP1. I installed the updates on the first check and restarted the computer. Then I ran update again and that was when SP1 came up. I haven't notice anything different yet. Then again I have only been using FF beta 4 and WLM so I think this weekend I'll do some experiments with some of my tasks to see if I see any improvements. Even then I still might not notice it.

Laptop startup times were supposed to have been significantly decreased. I can't wait to install it on my wife's laptop. I'm expecting miracles...or hoping anyway. :p

I do notice vista does startup a bit faster...it seems a little snappier..

i thought SP1 wasnt going to be in windows update until April 18th and thus you had to go to their site to download and install it......

But...but....but that uber cool Mac guy on those commercials told me they are perfect!

I thought the use of the smiley would help to identify that as sarcasm. I was suggesting a mac to the OP because I figured he was just here to slam Windows anyway.

$7,000.00 workstation :rolleyes: - CHECK

Uber Hanns-G 28 inch LCD monitor - CHECK

Vista Ultimate 64 - CHECK

Failing to back up your important work/documents, etc. even after Service Pack 1 hosed up your first system - PRICELESS.

I thought the use of the smiley would help to identify that as sarcasm. I was suggesting a mac to the OP because I figured he was just here to slam Windows anyway.
I knew it was sarcasm. I was making my post in response to the post about Mac people thinking they never have issues.

High end PC workstation: $7000
Super Snazzy OS: $200
Learning the hard way why you should make daily backups of your work: Priceless

Fact of the matter is, if you use anything with silicon inside of it, you will encounter a problem. Sure that 99 cent calculator might crash but at least when that does you can just toss it and buy a new one. When you have a $7,000 uber system well then you are pretty much up a creek ankle deep in something. :rolleyes:

Updated a 64-bit system and a 32-bit Vista system... zero problems on both.

I downloaded both, full versions of SP1 from the Microsoft site and initiated the installation. I went out with a couple of friends, came back, and it was in the login screen. Logged in and I was told that the installation was successful. Painless for sure...

I am now interested in getting Vista with SP1 already slipstreamed in case I have a lazy Sunday night.

Updated a 64-bit system and a 32-bit Vista system... zero problems on both.

I downloaded both, full versions of SP1 from the Microsoft site and initiated the installation. I went out with a couple of friends, came back, and it was in the login screen. Logged in and I was told that the installation was successful. Painless for sure...

I am now interested in getting Vista with SP1 already slipstreamed in case I have a lazy Sunday night.

same story here, laptop and desktop.... very nice smooth installation, i like how it reboots and does everything itself.

It came to my attention that some of you expected to install Service Pack on the lite Vista, without some components.
Unfortunatelly that is not possible, nor it was ever expected to be because Service Pack is meant to update the whole installation, if it detects that something is missing it aborts.

So the only way to use vLite on SP1 is to use it on the preintegrated version, meaning you can configure the Vista DVD or ISO which already has SP1 in it.

Got that from vLite

Well, it installed great on my x64 rig. Freakin 16 minutes!! Gotta love 3xRAID0 16mb cache Raptors :)
Box is definitely snappier. Haven't tested eveyrthing yet.

It's still workin on my slower x86 box - been 30 minutes now and seems to be stuck on the Stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete splash page with no HDD activity. Hmmm.

I was trying to wait till service pack 1 came out on DVD but being that it won't be out to the sheer masses for a couple more months, but I couldnt and just bought an copy of vista now since I figure I could just grab the iso of vista install with sp1 already on it in the near future if I ever need to reformat.

This has done in two of my computers now.

I just got the latest update form MS and it took a long time. When it finally re booted it BSOD and kept BSOD and now it in a loop of restarting and BSOD.

Vista 64 Ultimate was working pretty good until now. Now nothing but BSOD.
This was an auto update with MS. Pretty crapy of a SP1. This should realy impress companies since I am on a $7,000.00 work station that is only 1 year old. Not a good sign. Time for companies to run not walk away from this Vista crap. At last count it has restarted 26 times now. Without a good reboot. Can not even get safe mode to work. It just keeps cycling.

Three days of work down the tubes. What a really reliable Operating System!!!!!!
:mad::mad::(:(

Even tried to go back to last good time. Still will not go into windows Vista.... BAd BaD BAD baD

shit happens... grab ur install dvd and do a repair then try the update again... next time back up ur work though...

I have SP1 installed on my main workstation and 2 laptops...no issues. I enjoy the (slightly) quicker startup times and general increased "snappiness"...

Super high end work system - $7000 :rolleyes:
Loading work software - 3 days :rolleyes:
Not being able to type complete sentences - FAIL

It won't install for me. It does the first two stages then does the reboot and BSOD's on the third step. If I have it boot into safe mode it will install but fail, reboots to the normal desktop and reports that the WAN mini-port driver has failed and the SP1 install has failed. This on a new (two weeks old) install of Ultimate x86.

• Reading Stories of people with failed sp1 installs - 3 minutes of my life
  • Reading Stories of people that didnt back up their data - 3 mintues of my life
  • Laughing at people complaining about having expensive workstations that likely don't have
    vanilla commodity hardware failing to get the SP installed - 15 mintues of laughter and priceless.

I did it today, works fine system is speedier then ever :)

And you lost your data? to goddamn bad.
Make your backups in future and think before accepting major system updates.

Because restoring backups is always really quick and painless.

Dumb ass........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back