Sources: The Upgraded PlayStation 4 is Codenamed NEO, Contains Upgraded CPU, GPU, RAM

PS4 Getting Handy New Graphics-Boosting Feature

Beta system update 7.0.0 allows PS4 users to tweak their console’s HDR output at the console system level...in other words, you can now tune the way the console outputs HDR for ALL HDR sources, rather than having to rely on different HDR tuning options built in to individual games, as was the case before...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...y-new-graphics-boosting-feature/#2d567f553696

^ Interesting. I've never really had much of an issue with HDR tuning in games. At least beyond the brightness setting, which games probably should address individually.
At least for my TV, making HDR look good mostly comes down to having a separate configuration just for HDR content. In-game settings aren't really going to be able to replace or reproduce that.
On the other hand, I freakin' hate how both the PS and Xbox trigger HDR mode for most movie apps (including BR disks and Netflix) no matter what. This feature apparently does nothing to fix that.

I look forward to HDR being a little more mindless in a few years. Right now it's still kind of a mess with different formats, configs, etc.

Back