Sony PSP @ [H] Console

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Sony PSP - The PSP packs a powerful multimedia punch, enabling you to enjoy your favorite games, music, videos and photos instantly, anywhere.

The PSP is an honest to goodness all around device that can be used just about anywhere. While I wouldn't recommend giving the PSP to younger children, the PSP is well suited for just about EVERYONE else. Get yourself a nice carrying case or screen protector and take your PSP anywhere you go for entertainment on demand.

Great review, only thing is you guys didn't touch homebrew which is amazing on this console. Theres a program to take in game screens too :)

I love my PSP, I use it at lunch and watch shows I pull of my Tivo's at home. Got my wife one for our wedding anniversary (yes geek wife, she got me a Dell 2405) so now we can play Untold Legends multiplayer now!

If you just want a game handheld, get a DS, but if you want more versatility this is the one. Burnout Legends I highly recommend as well!

Enjoying my PSP -- but made the mistake of not calling Sony regarding my sticking square button. Now there's no more warranty left on the system and it will cost $150 Canadian to fix it.

Anyone know if merely replacing the buttons (such as if I were to order a DecalGirl kit) would fix this issue?

Good review, but I must say, if I wanted a swiss-army knife I would use an Axim X51v for the same price (oops, I did!). The PSP's games are mostly rated pretty poorly compared to the Nintendo DS's stuff, with far fewer good titles. Yes, it has better graphics, yes the controls may be preferred by SOME people, but that doesn't make the games more fun. I already have enough devices in my pocket that can do eBooks, movie watching, etc. at far better prices than the PSP can offer such as my Axim X51v, and games are taken care of by my NDS. My cell phone can also read eBooks and play MP3's, just like the Axim. Why would I want a third MP3 player (the NDS can do that too with the devkit stuff if you wanted to for the same price as a good memory stick costs anyway)?

Just my take.

ludachaz said:
Great review, only thing is you guys didn't touch homebrew which is amazing on this console. Theres a program to take in game screens too :)

There is so much to cover on homebrew apps is a whole new write up ;)

BUT

...the actual reason for not covering them in the product review is because they aren't supported by Sony and each new firware update disables the PSPs ability to run homebrew apps.

More than just a passing note needs to be dedicated to the subject so they will be covered in a separate article where the ins and outs of homebrew, backwards flashing your PSP (if you buy a new one), the trade offs and such can all be covered in-depth so people can make the best decision based onthe information at hand.

:D

GoldenTiger said:
Good review, but I must say, if I wanted a swiss-army knife I would use an Axim X51v for the same price (oops, I did!). The PSP's games are mostly rated pretty poorly compared to the Nintendo DS's stuff, with far fewer good titles. Yes, it has better graphics, yes the controls may be preferred by SOME people, but that doesn't make the games more fun. I already have enough devices in my pocket that can do eBooks, movie watching, etc. at far better prices than the PSP can offer such as my Axim X51v, and games are taken care of by my NDS. My cell phone can also read eBooks and play MP3's, just like the Axim. Why would I want a third MP3 player (the NDS can do that too with the devkit stuff if you wanted to for the same price as a good memory stick costs anyway)?

Just my take.

Well, for an all around device...it is hard to beat. It has a very, very strong "Jack of all trades" quality to it that is hard to ignore.

We have the benefit of owning almost every current console on the market for testing / review purposes (each editor has his own consoles) as well as your garden variety tech gadgets (nanos, iPod video, Archos and an Axim X50 that came with a laptop purchase). I think it is extremely import for each editor to own all the current consoles so he can make an informed decision and statements based on actual use. Doesn't do the reader any good if we rate the PSP "high" if that is the only console we own ;)

Each of us use the PSP for different reasons:

Justin gets a lot of use out of his iPod Video for ripped movies and music.
Chad gets a lot of use out of his nano for music
I get more use out of the PSP for all of the above.

Currently, for the [H] Console team, the PSP offers all of the above without having to carry multiple devices something other handheld consoles just don't offer right now.

Hey I also bought a PSP and loving it, tho the Scratches pissed me off. I've done a pretty good job of keeping them minimal on my screen. Installing those Screen protectors was a B*tch also. I couldn't get it on without air bubbles. So i've been using it without :( so I got a few tiny scatches. I'm gonna do the Face plate mod tho, and still looking for a good carrying case for it.

The Games That I own for my PSP

Street Fighter Alpha 3
DBZ Skin Budokai
Megaman X maverick hunter

Are all really good. looking forward to Tekken coming out, and my next purchase i'm need a racing game, so either looking at Ridge Racer or Burnout Legends.

Also purchased a 2GB memory card.

And well worth it!

Makaveli@BETA said:
Hey I also bought a PSP and loving it, tho the Scratches pissed me off. I've done a pretty good job of keeping them minimal on my screen. Installing those Screen protectors was a B*tch also. I couldn't get it on without air bubbles. So i've been using it without :( so I got a few tiny scatches. I'm gonna do the Face plate mod tho, and still looking for a good carrying case for it.

The Games That I own for my PSP

Street Fighter Alpha 3
DBZ Skin Budokai
Megaman X maverick hunter

Are all really good. looking forward to Tekken coming out, and my next purchase i'm need a racing game, so either looking at Ridge Racer or Burnout Legends.

Also purchased a 2GB memory card. So for anyone looking to buy a PSP i've spent about 500cdn.

And well worth it!

I would recommend the faceplate mod BUT you can also use high quality car wax to buff out small scratches (but that is only temporary) in the mean time. Works for me. Do the face plate mod, it is relative inexpensive, great customization options too.

I only use my PSP for homebrew. I don't even own a single game. I have a v1.5. Right now I'm loving SNES9x TYL and Links2.

I bought the system 2 months ago. It's a very cool device, but seems to be too spread in features instead of concentrating on a few. Music playback is seriously dissapointing. I was amazed that they didn't include basic features like EQ. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the PSP, and hope they make some improvements via firmware upgrades.

Nice reivew...but i was wondering where can i get the HardOCP wallpaper for my psp? :)

PrimiSYS said:
I bought the system 2 months ago. It's a very cool device, but seems to be too spread in features instead of concentrating on a few. Music playback is seriously dissapointing. I was amazed that they didn't include basic features like EQ. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the PSP, and hope they make some improvements via firmware upgrades.

The homebrew audio players are much better than the built-in one. And for God's sake, don't upgrade your firmware.

If i'm seeing this right your reviewing the $299 package with the memory stick, case and all but, at the end you claim it's a bargin for $199. The package that lacks the memory stick and all. You might wanna make that a bit more clear.

I bought my PSP about a month after launch along with Twisted Metal Head On. I still remember how happy I was to get it after looking at 5 stores that where out, a Gamestop inside the mall had it. I slid in there just as the guys was closing the bars at 9pm and asked if they had any PSP's left, and he gave me the last one.

Since then I use it almost every day and think it is one of the best investments I have ever made. You can use it anywhere, and with the Wifi becoming such a big part of the system I think there will be more usful perepherals relased in the near future.

Carbon_Le said:
Nice reivew...but i was wondering where can i get the HardOCP wallpaper for my psp? :)

Ask and Ye Shall Receive (right click, save as...already in the right size and compressed nicely for size):

http://www.****************************/big_hard.jpg

http://www.****************************/hconsole.jpg

Steve said:
Well, for an all around device...it is hard to beat. It has a very, very strong "Jack of all trades" quality to it that is hard to ignore.

We have the benefit of owning almost every current console on the market for testing / review purposes (each editor has his own consoles) as well as your garden variety tech gadgets (nanos, iPod video, Archos and an Axim X50 that came with a laptop purchase). I think it is extremely import for each editor to own all the current consoles so he can make an informed decision and statements based on actual use. Doesn't do the reader any good if we rate the PSP "high" if that is the only console we own ;)

Each of us use the PSP for different reasons:

Justin gets a lot of use out of his iPod Video for ripped movies and music.
Chad gets a lot of use out of his nano for music
I get more use out of the PSP for all of the above.

Currently, for the [H] Console team, the PSP offers all of the above without having to carry multiple devices something other handheld consoles just don't offer right now.

Well, I most certainly cannot say that I have owned/played even all of the current consoles... therefore my opinion is based solely on my perceived value of each. Personally, I want a portable console for games alone, as I already have the rest of the functionality on other device(s). For those who want to carry only one or two electronic gadgets, I can definitely agree that the PSP would likely be a good value... but for me, and some others who want it as a gaming machine, I just don't feel it would deliver based on the game reviews I have seen and the playtime I have had with it from friends who own it... just seems in general, the DS has better games. The qualm I had with the review is that it basically says the controller is good and the graphics are great, and leaves it at that :).

Steve said:
Ask and Ye Shall Receive (right click, save as...already in the right size and compressed nicely for size):

http://www.****************************/big_hard.jpg

http://www.****************************/hconsole.jpg

Thank you. :D

Nice read! The simplicity and ease of use of the XMB is one of the best things about the psp. I couldnt imagine loving the psp as much with some other generic clunky menu.

Lucky bastards got a white psp. :p

Darakian said:
If i'm seeing this right your reviewing the $299 package with the memory stick, case and all but, at the end you claim it's a bargin for $199. The package that lacks the memory stick and all. You might wanna make that a bit more clear.
no, they dont. thats exactly the point.

Yep i love the machine for all its purposes, if i need to go somewhere when its warm etc and i dont want to carry a bag or wear a coat i just take my phone and psp, dont need anything else, yes my pda phone can play movies but its a joy to watch movies on the psp screen, theres plenty of excellent games now for the psp, some people live in the past when there were only a handful, i have 20+ games now and after E3 thats going to majorly expand in the next few months. I have a DS aswell but there is only 2 games i want for it and they are not out yet (new Mario and starfox)

Martyr said:
no, they dont. thats exactly the point.

Ummm then the should mention the need of the memory stick to save game info on. Also it would seem I was wrong on my package pricing. There is no $300 package, I meant to say the $250 package. All they say is that the drop of $50 takes $50 worth of stuff out not mentioning what and what you need to still use the system.

Darakian said:
Ummm then the should mention the need of the memory stick to save game info on. Also it would seem I was wrong on my package pricing. There is no $300 package, I meant to say the $250 package. All they say is that the drop of $50 takes $50 worth of stuff out not mentioning what and what you need to still use the system.
i thought there was a memory stick with every psp, something like a 32 meg one for the cheapo package, plenty enough for save games

Nice read, makes me want one even more so I can watch movies at work when theres nothing to do.

Darakian said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145973.html
The memory stick got cut. Fourth paragraph up from the bottom.
I cant see why some people moan about it but like myself i discarded the card i got with my psp and stuck a 512meg in, its good if you want to buy the mem stick youd prefer, you can get small mem stick duos for a few quid off ebay in the us you can get 32 meg cards for $1 on ebay shipped! heck even 2gb mem sticks are only £35 on ebay and thats in UK!!, nothing much to moan about really. People are moaning about $1 lmao!!

nice review , but like someone said , its hard to review it fully without talking about homebrew...

i mainly use my psp for homebrew... playing super mario bros 3 , legend of zelda a link to the past , punch out , tmnt 2 all together on one system is awesome . But i would like to have other games developp for the console itself..

also , i think the umd are failing

Best thing is being able to watch a movie in the tub then surf the web using the psp. :eek:

While the review was ok I think some things should have been addressed. One is that the system really seems to be lacking in the games. Also a second control stick would have been really nice. Play splinter cell and you will see what I need. Personaly I think an ipod and a ds would be a better choice to cover everthing but that to be fair would cost more and be 2 items not 1.

Rash said:
I cant see why some people moan about it but like myself i discarded the card i got with my psp and stuck a 512meg in, its good if you want to buy the mem stick youd prefer, you can get small mem stick duos for a few quid off ebay in the us you can get 32 meg cards for $1 on ebay shipped! heck even 2gb mem sticks are only £35 on ebay and thats in UK!!, nothing much to moan about really. People are moaning about $1 lmao!!

All I'm saying is it should be mentioned. It's just nice to have full disclosure in a review.

arr4ws said:
nice review , but like someone said , its hard to review it fully without talking about homebrew...

i mainly use my psp for homebrew... playing super mario bros 3 , legend of zelda a link to the past , punch out , tmnt 2 all together on one system is awesome . But i would like to have other games developp for the console itself..

It would be like reviewing the Xbox and bringing up mod-chips. While the Xbox does function VERY well when modded and there is a large community for it, it desn't belong in a review of a retail product. It belongs in its own separate article which is why we are covering homebrew in a separate future article. :)

What's with people saying PSP doesn't have enough games out?! I think there's plenty of good games out there for the PSP.

Daxter
Burnout:Legends
Wipeout
Lumines
SOCOM
Ridge Racer
Syphon Filter
GTA:Liberty City Stories
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2
DBZ Shin Budokai

It also has crapload of decent sport games on it. The future for the PSP looks pretty good too:

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
LocoRoco
E3
GTA:Vice City Stories

There's a lot more but those are the highlights.

aznpxdd said:
What's with people saying PSP doesn't have enough games out?! I think there's plenty of good games out there for the PSP.

Daxter
Burnout:Legends
Wipeout
Lumines
SOCOM
Ridge Racer
Syphon Filter
GTA:Liberty City Stories
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2
DBZ Shin Budokai

It also has crapload of decent sport games on it. The future for the PSP looks pretty good too:

Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
LocoRoco
E3
GTA:Vice City Stories

There's a lot more but those are the highlights.

can they spot making sequel of console game ( gameplay wise) and focus on new games with new possibilities ... damn my psp is dusty

hity645 said:
Nice read, makes me want one even more so I can watch movies at work when theres nothing to do.

See the movie aspect of the PSP never got me. You have a lower res movie that can only be played on a PSP while you can buy a portable dvd player and you have a bigger screen and the same movies in your collection.

What is kidn of weird but would probably truly make me buy it is a GPS on it. I like to go out of towns alot and go to concerts so it would be fun to have something that can play games, music and also tell me where the F I am at.

I like everything about it...except for movies....oh and the price :) but the price is definately reasonable but I would like it cheaper! who wouldn't really :p

Back