• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sony PSP @ [H] Console

Rash said:
I cant see why some people moan about it but like myself i discarded the card i got with my psp and stuck a 512meg in, its good if you want to buy the mem stick youd prefer, you can get small mem stick duos for a few quid off ebay in the us you can get 32 meg cards for $1 on ebay shipped! heck even 2gb mem sticks are only £35 on ebay and thats in UK!!, nothing much to moan about really. People are moaning about $1 lmao!!

Most of those 2GB cards are cheap frauds out of China and will fail relatively quickly most of the time.
 
hmm lets see what i can do on my psp right now...

(Firmware 1.5)

1. Play virtually any console/arcade game up to N64 generation (can play 2 player on some NES games via 2 psps)
2. Browse the internet
3. Stream avi, mpg, mov, mpeg, etc video files from my computer to my psp, anywhere in the world with access to wireless net (watch any movie, any video clip, anywhere)
4. Watch tv, (streamed from my computer's tv tuner to psp, not from sony's expensive location free base) anywhere in the world w/ access to wireless net.
5. Using pocket vnc, control my computer wirelessly (or my roommates computer, haha that was a funny prank)
6. Stream rss feeds, radio broadcasts from net to psp
7. Use as a universal remote (lost yer x-box remote? tv? projector? no problem)
8. mp3 player
9. book reader, photo viewer
10. chat on aim, irc, etc..
11. Play 100s' of user submited homebrew games
12. hmmm.... oh yeah, play psp games

Two N64 emulators are being worked on right now. One is a port of the Daedalus n64 emulator being worked on by Daedalus himself. Currently runs mario 64 at about 5-10 fps, which is pretty good for a port. Another is being coded from the ground up and is at similiar performace, showing improvements almost every week. Sony themselves demonstrated their ps1 emulator for psp running ridge racer at e3 which is to be release later in the year. Camera and gps extensions to be added later also.

For the $250 i payed, probably one of the best investments i've ever made. Jack-of-all-trades? Ha, yeah, i think so....
 
Netrat33 said:
See the movie aspect of the PSP never got me. You have a lower res movie that can only be played on a PSP while you can buy a portable dvd player and you have a bigger screen and the same movies in your collection.

What is kidn of weird but would probably truly make me buy it is a GPS on it. I like to go out of towns alot and go to concerts so it would be fun to have something that can play games, music and also tell me where the F I am at.

I like everything about it...except for movies....oh and the price :) but the price is definately reasonable but I would like it cheaper! who wouldn't really :p
Thats what i thought at first but then i realised i cant fit a portable dvd player and discs in my pocket, personal prerence really and btw i bought a 2gig duo for £40 quid and it works absolutely fine and is v fast at transfer rate!
 
Nice review! I'll be considering to get a PSP if they make another price drop. But not for their awesome gaming but for all the homebrew capabilities that seems cheap and easy to apply. When it first came out I disliked how Sony practically ported all the PS2 games onto PSP. And UMD movies was a waste of invention imo. It might have been better if end users can write stuffs onto umd discs cheap, like their MD (was great until ipod killed it). why pay $20 for a UMD movie to be watched on a small screen??
Here's an idea, make PSP Lite, smaller size and without the UMD, priced at $100~150. :D Can you hear me Sony? (don't worry about people call you Nintendo copycat lol)

for now I'll stick with DS for pure gaming fun. Their E3 announcement of some 100+ games by year end brings chills. even if they're counting JPN only games too, still great commitment to portable gaming. DS homebrew isn't exactly cheap and easy to start but it has great potentials still. Opera browser and possible storage for DS is a sign N noticed the needs of certain groups of people that wants more than gaming.

But still wish Sony can keep producing more and better unique games on the PSP, perhaps once they get over the PS3 launch...
 
Grahf said:
hmm lets see what i can do on my psp right now...

(Firmware 1.5)

1. Play virtually any console/arcade game up to N64 generation (can play 2 player on some NES games via 2 psps)
2. Browse the internet
3. Stream avi, mpg, mov, mpeg, etc video files from my computer to my psp, anywhere in the world with access to wireless net (watch any movie, any video clip, anywhere)
4. Watch tv, (streamed from my computer's tv tuner to psp, not from sony's expensive location free base) anywhere in the world w/ access to wireless net.
5. Using pocket vnc, control my computer wirelessly (or my roommates computer, haha that was a funny prank)
6. Stream rss feeds, radio broadcasts from net to psp
7. Use as a universal remote (lost yer x-box remote? tv? projector? no problem)
8. mp3 player
9. book reader, photo viewer
10. chat on aim, irc, etc..
11. Play 100s' of user submited homebrew games
12. hmmm.... oh yeah, play psp games

Two N64 emulators are being worked on right now. One is a port of the Daedalus n64 emulator being worked on by Daedalus himself. Currently runs mario 64 at about 5-10 fps, which is pretty good for a port. Another is being coded from the ground up and is at similiar performace, showing improvements almost every week. Sony themselves demonstrated their ps1 emulator for psp running ridge racer at e3 which is to be release later in the year. Camera and gps extensions to be added later also.

For the $250 i payed, probably one of the best investments i've ever made. Jack-of-all-trades? Ha, yeah, i think so....

LOL damn that's a lot of things!!! care to share where to find all that homebrew? PM?
 
Grahf said:
hmm lets see what i can do on my psp right now...

(Firmware 1.5)

1. Play virtually any console/arcade game up to N64 generation (can play 2 player on some NES games via 2 psps)
2. Browse the internet
3. Stream avi, mpg, mov, mpeg, etc video files from my computer to my psp, anywhere in the world with access to wireless net (watch any movie, any video clip, anywhere)
4. Watch tv, (streamed from my computer's tv tuner to psp, not from sony's expensive location free base) anywhere in the world w/ access to wireless net.
5. Using pocket vnc, control my computer wirelessly (or my roommates computer, haha that was a funny prank)
6. Stream rss feeds, radio broadcasts from net to psp
7. Use as a universal remote (lost yer x-box remote? tv? projector? no problem)
8. mp3 player
9. book reader, photo viewer
10. chat on aim, irc, etc..
11. Play 100s' of user submited homebrew games
12. hmmm.... oh yeah, play psp games

Two N64 emulators are being worked on right now. One is a port of the Daedalus n64 emulator being worked on by Daedalus himself. Currently runs mario 64 at about 5-10 fps, which is pretty good for a port. Another is being coded from the ground up and is at similiar performace, showing improvements almost every week. Sony themselves demonstrated their ps1 emulator for psp running ridge racer at e3 which is to be release later in the year. Camera and gps extensions to be added later also.

For the $250 i payed, probably one of the best investments i've ever made. Jack-of-all-trades? Ha, yeah, i think so....


I noticed in this thread that a few people are like "why not buy a Ipod and a nintendo ds" or making other suggestions. The reason is because that takes away from best bang for your buck which you just gave great examples of. With the Ipod at 300 dollars and the nintendo ds at $150 you lose out on any benifits. You could buy 1 psp and 1 2gig memory stick and a couple games for that kind of money.

Also it's not only the psp that only gets only sequels let's look at Nintendo with Mario/Zelda/Metroid and Xbox with Halo 3/Ghost Recon/Fight Night 3/ Project Gotham Racing 3/Dead or Alive 4/ Tony Hawk 120039
Big buisness dosn't like investing in risk they want a sure thing so that is what they do they just keep riding the sure thing.
 
Grahf said:
hmm lets see what i can do on my psp right now...

(Firmware 1.5)

1. Play virtually any console/arcade game up to N64 generation (can play 2 player on some NES games via 2 psps)
2. Browse the internet
3. Stream avi, mpg, mov, mpeg, etc video files from my computer to my psp, anywhere in the world with access to wireless net (watch any movie, any video clip, anywhere)
4. Watch tv, (streamed from my computer's tv tuner to psp, not from sony's expensive location free base) anywhere in the world w/ access to wireless net.
5. Using pocket vnc, control my computer wirelessly (or my roommates computer, haha that was a funny prank)
6. Stream rss feeds, radio broadcasts from net to psp
7. Use as a universal remote (lost yer x-box remote? tv? projector? no problem)
8. mp3 player
9. book reader, photo viewer
10. chat on aim, irc, etc..
11. Play 100s' of user submited homebrew games
12. hmmm.... oh yeah, play psp games

Two N64 emulators are being worked on right now. One is a port of the Daedalus n64 emulator being worked on by Daedalus himself. Currently runs mario 64 at about 5-10 fps, which is pretty good for a port. Another is being coded from the ground up and is at similiar performace, showing improvements almost every week. Sony themselves demonstrated their ps1 emulator for psp running ridge racer at e3 which is to be release later in the year. Camera and gps extensions to be added later also.

For the $250 i payed, probably one of the best investments i've ever made. Jack-of-all-trades? Ha, yeah, i think so....
using it in this way will cause it to fail. sony doesnt make money on the hardware, they make money on the games. if people only buy the psp for homebrew, sony will stop making them
 
There's still a surprising amount of people out there that are completely unaware of the homebrew community and still use it for the games. I've been thinking about buying another one for the sole purpose of playing the newer games.
 
I picked up both a PsP and a nintendo DS to get the best of both worlds....:)
 
the problem with a psp being a jack of all trades is that it is a master of none. Sure it does everything, but it just does everything sorta OK. It just seemed that every time I tried to use it for something that it was kind of fighting me the whole time. Sure it plays music and movies, but it wasn't really intuitive or convenient at all. Plus with the games being not so hot, I sold mine before it dropped much in value.

I really really tried to like the damn thing. I even take long trips where having that little bad boy would come in handy, but it just didn't impress me. I'd personally rather carry 2 portables (pda + ds) that give me a much more refined experience. Also, I'd NEVER carry my psp in my pocket, as it's way way too delicate and scratch prone (and just plain too big).

That isn't to say that the psp can't be a great all-in-one portable. The hardware is there; it's just that the user interface and support is friggin useless. Sony really dropped the ball by not putting out some better (and free) software.

I also owned a DS which was wholly unimpressive at the time, but a lot of good games came out after I sold mine, so I'll be picking up a DS Lite when it comes out.
 
Subliminal said:
Ahh well...no psp for this kid, then. ;)

Well even though you cannot purchase blank UMD discs and transfer movies, music, etc. to them, you can still virtually do this via a pc and memory card. To be honest some of the dvds I have converted to mp4 format look just as good if not better quality wise on the PSP compared to my tv. It's a process that takes virtually an hour or so.
 
The PSP does impress me and its one of the few things that Sony hasn't managed to screw up lately. I'm tempted to get one since it's only $199. But the games don't interest me much. I would much rather have a 30GB iPod for music, and I can watch DVD's on my work laptop (Thinkpad) when I'm traveling. I also have an Axim 51v for PDA functions. I'm going to do a search on PSP homebrew after this and see whats out there. Maybe that will persuade me. PDA functionality would be real nice for example. I'm also annoyed by Sony's proprietary memory stick format which they are still shoving down our throats. If i could put a CF hard drive in there to hold a decent amount of music and video that would be much more attractive.
 
I totally agree with the "jack of all trades, master of none" ideal the PSP has. I love gadgets so buying a PSP was a no-brainer for me. A few hundred dollars and 8 or so games later, I felt the PSP was a big waste of cash. I bought it originally for a portable gaming machine but I didn't really expect to be playing mostly rehashes of older PS1/2 games. I even had a ver 1.5 PSP but some of those homebrew games were just... wow (as in... "Wow these are horrible"). Emulators are nice but I really didn't want to spend money on a memory stick (Damn you Sony) that can't be used anywhere else. Well, that and the fact that I spent $250+ on a device and the only fun games to play were ones made 20 years ago. I sold my PSP and all 8 games for an extremely low price and now have a DS Lite on the way.

Basically, I'd rather have a device that does one thing well instead of a device that does a lot of things crappy. I already have 2 dedicated MP3 players and one plays videos and I also have a laptop. I bought the PSP to play some fun games on the go. The games are slowly getting better but currently, as a gaming device, the PSP fails in my opinion.
 
hmm it almost seems like some of you guys who dont like the psp :gasp: dont like playing video games :p

I think their are lots of great games, ive been playing GTA LCS and Monster Hunter lately but their are lots more, and i have a v1.5 so i play super mario world and beat chrono trigger and play various other snes games on it. i also use it as an MP3 player and really havent had any problems. I think it was well worth the money.
 
I have a PSP and I'm quite happy with it. I have a few number of good games that I really enjoy. I don't use it that much in a portable sense, but I do play it a fair bit when I'm just chatting. I took it on a recent trip with me and it was nice to be able to do something in the hotel room while relaxing or waiting for people. The ability to play movies is great. Memory sticks of an adequate size are cheap enough anymore and encoding videos into the PSP format isn't too hard.

The DS may have some more unique titles, but I think a bunch of them are just flat out stupid. Nintendogs? My friend's fiance had the game - it was cool... for about 10 minutes. I could see how this game could appeal to people who sort of want a pet or are unable to have a pet, but I have a cat that follows me everywhere I go so that's a pet enough for me.

The Brain Age games seem similarly stupid to me. I get to train my brain five days a week when class is in session as an engineering student. There's no need to test me on "4 - 1 = x" when I've just solved a few differential equations to keep my mind sharp. It has a Sodoku game, a game I found to be enjoyable for a while - until I wrote a solver for it. Once again, I can see how this game might appeal to some people who don't get that much mental stimulation on a daily basis.
 
Back
Top