Sony PS3 Slim, Price Cut Confirmed at GDC Europe 09

Aside from B/C which hasn't been in the full size console for a while now. The slim is an improvement. Reduced size, reduced power, etc.

Reduced power is an improvement..reduced size is debatable. End result is it looks terrible now. Now we have to wait and see if the reduced size doesn't cause the ps3 to start having 360 like issues. I am like a few people in this thread in that my PS3 is a serious part of my Media setup. Having my components adhere to a certain look and feel is pretty important. The original PS3 with it's gloss black and chrome, matches a good bit of AV equipment out there. The Slim with the matte finish does not. While the slim is fine if it were only for gaming, I am afraid this is no longer 1999 and Sony isn't marketing it as only a gaming machine. That makes this change a failure.

Would love to know if they finally added lossless audio so that I can use my Onkyo Receiver to do all the decoding instead of the PS3. Any news on the actual details of what the BluRay section offers?

Reduced power is an improvement..reduced size is debatable. End result is it looks terrible now. Now we have to wait and see if the reduced size doesn't cause the ps3 to start having 360 like issues. I am like a few people in this thread in that my PS3 is a serious part of my Media setup. Having my components adhere to a certain look and feel is pretty important. The original PS3 with it's gloss black and chrome, matches a good bit of AV equipment out there. The Slim with the matte finish does not. While the slim is fine if it were only for gaming, I am afraid this is no longer 1999 and Sony isn't marketing it as only a gaming machine. That makes this change a failure.

In your eyes.

I don't want to turn this thread into a debate or anything so I'm not really going to argue. Matte finish is actually better for a few reasons(off the top of my head) - dust and finger prints. Now dust is sure to accumulate regardless, but it won't be as visible. And obviously fingerprints might be an issue for some and not for others.

I doubt we'll see another 360 debacle. Sony knows R/D and QA(at least for consoles).

Either way I can't imagine there being a real shortage of stock on the old design.

Hey, problem solved! Keep your current ps3 and stop bitching.

Pardon me I'm not a Sony owner nor am I up to date on their consoles but...why on earth would anyone buy the "full size" model now that the slim is out with the same functionality and cheaper?

Main difference seems to be that you can no longer install other operating systems, at least not without some hacking that I'm sure somebody will figure out.

Either way, if you want Linux on your PS3 then you'll want to go with the non-slim version.

I tried to Google around about that and can't find any references to backward compatibility in any updates. Could you possibly give a link or something? That sounds too good to be true, hah.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175631

...with a grain of salt until confirmed. This is more a highlight of confirmed features for 3.00. Like I said, rumor on B/C in an upcoming update.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/

Article on Sony's patent for the emulation.

BTW, anybody here ever install Linux on their PS3? Seems like a cool side project but I can't imagine doing anything with it aside from some tinkering.

If it had backwards compatible for ps1&2 games, I would buy it.
My ps2 doesn't output in progressive scan.
I like the slim look better than the original.

None of the 80gb units being sold today offer PS2 b/c.

Is it just me, or is the slim really ugly? It looks ugly and cheap. The original PS3 looks a lot cooler IMO.

False. Wrong. No. The current 80gb models very much do offer Backward's compatability to about 95% of PS2 games.

I like the looks much better now.. I may get one when it comes out at that price if it still has the wifi and isnt "gimped" anyother way besides the OS situation

False. Wrong. No. The current 80gb models very much do offer Backward's compatability to about 95% of PS2 games.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I'm at work so my net access to gaming sites is pretty much blocked, so I can't search for links.

No, the first 80GB models had software based emulation for PS2 games for b/c (what I have now). Any of the newer 80GB PS3s (started selling around Sept. 2008) got stripped of all PS2 backwards compatibility along with 2 USB ports and the built in card readers.

I have the 80Gb version with PS2 b/c and it only plays about half of my PS2 games well enough to play them. On my GT 4 and Ratchet and Clank games, it stutters a lot and the frame rate is choppy. The first 60GB PS3s are the best for PS2 b/c because they have the actual PS2 CPU/GPU hardware to play the games and are 100% compatible with all PS2 games.

ninjaturtle said:
If it had backwards compatible for ps1&2 games, I would buy it.

All PS3s have PS1 b/c in case you didn't know.

I think it looks better now, what is it that people cannot stand?

It is expected there will be a handful of people who are butt hurt over the new PS3 slim. Just like it when comes to cars and mid-model refresh. There are a handful who say the refresh is ugly and how they like the older style to justified their purchase without looking at any of benefits of the new refresh.

I like the new style and the lower price. Hell... I bet it looks better in person ;)

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. I'm at work so my net access to gaming sites is pretty much blocked, so I can't search for links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

Older 80GB has BC, newer 80GB doesn't. I'm guessing the newer 80GB is more common in stores these days.

Yeah. Trust me, I know my PS3s as I used to repair them.

The 60gb and 20gb had Emotion Engine (hardware) B/C
The original 80gb model had 4 USB ports and software B/C
The newer 80gb (about a year old now) PS3 has 2 USB ports and no B/C

No PS3 sold in stores today has software or hardware B/C.

You could at least get your facts straight before you get all disrespectful and snippy ;)

why go back to PS2?

I agree. The backward compatibility was important at launch because the number of PS3 titles was limited back then. Now, this feature is irrelevant for most.

Slim is good but I would rather want a smaller PS3.

I have a PS2 still, but I let my son use it in his room. (If I didn't already have a b/c PS3) I would love the option to still play my PS2 games in my living room on my PS3. I still bust out PS2 games occasionally to reminisce (MGS series, GT3&4, etc.). Plus sometimes I see old great PS2 games I never got the chance to play for real cheap in Gamestop and decide to pick them up. If I didn't already have a b/c PS3, then I'd have to steal the PS2 from my son and then cram it in my entertainment center somewhere when I don't have room as it is, hah.

Backwards compatibility is pretty big for me on all my consoles. I still play GC games on my Wii all the time too with the family. I buy loads of games for every console every generation, so when I upgrade to the next gen consoles, I hate to see all my old games get pushed to the closet since I don't have room for all my new AND old consoles.

I realize that I only around 30% of people share this opinion with me too and see it as you do, which is apparently why Sony dropped it (plus increased production costs).

i'm in this same boat. tbh, there really isn't too much on the ps3 i wanna play. maybe 3 to 4 games. so, NOT having bc to ps2 is a major downfall. i STILL play my ps2. there are too many good games on it to NOT play it. i too have an entertainment center for my HTPC and my ps2. i don't like clutter and the ps3 with bc ps2 would be ideal for me. maybe not u, but it would be for me. having said that there is NO reason for me to purchase a blu-ray machine that plays only a selected few games for 3 bills.

also, any1 have an idea on the price for ps2 hardware and/or software emulation?

I gotta say the new look is enticing, would have loved if they kept the linux support though :p

I ended up getting a PS2 slim for my PS2 games (lol DDR) and it sits unobtrusively next to my Wii. Together, their footprint is still very small so it doesn't bother me to have it on the gaming TV. Their graphics are about the same anyway so it's good that they're near each other. They can hold one another when they're both shamed by the PS3 graphics. ;)

The slim is hideous to me, to be honest. I am going to get one though, this is what I've been waiting for. Good price, couple of games I really want to play, and some blue ray support.

Going out on a limb here... But what'll be the icing on the cake is when the Wii still kicks the PS3's ass.

I agree. The backward compatibility was important at launch because the number of PS3 titles was limited back then. Now, this feature is irrelevant for most.

Slim is good but I would rather want a smaller PS3.

How much smaller could it get?

Got to agree to that. My GF loved the wii i got her at first, now she barely even uses it.
The Wii is sort of like the pet rock of the new century. You'll have fun with it for awhile, and every now and then afterwards, but the rest of the time it will just sit there and collect dust.
(To be fair some will enjoy it a lot more than others tho)
People wanted a cheaper PS3 and now they have it. Of course, even if they gave it away free some people here would still find ways to hate it..:p
My take is that if you don't like it don't buy it....Not like your being forced to.

it looks cool and the price is pretty good, but i dont know why I would buy a PS3. There's no EXCLUSIVE games that I want to play.

Although if they announce Persona 5 for the ps3 ... I'd buy one

I think the fat looks better than the slim - the slim just looks boring. A $100 price drop right after MS dropped the 360 Elite's price by $100 isn't going to make up the difference in sales, Sony is still lagging behind.

Good point, but I think thats is the point of the curved top. This form factor uses some of the case as a heatsink from what I understand so if you were to stack stuff on top of it you might burn the thing out early. Better safe than sorry.
I'm pretty sure that was a major part of the design of both consoles as far as why they weren't square shaped. I feel that alot of people would be stuffing them in closed environments if they were easy to stack.

I don't get it... They does that with every console... Why cant they just do that in the first place? They deserve a slap if they keep it bulky so it's more profitable. :mad:
Ever heard of manufacturing improvements? The same reason why Nvidia has so many SKU's per generation? You cant always be perfect right out of the gate.

Funny, I wouldn't stack stuff on top of consoles. Having ample ventilation is critical in dissapating heat so as to extend the life of your electronics. I still laugh at those people who have their electronic equipment in a pretty little cabinet closed in with a glass door.
Haha, i could see that. This is what I was thinking of when I first read ZenDragon's post.

I don't know what you guys are talking about but I think the 360 looks good.
Yea, me too. Though I do wish they would style it a bit more to blend in with your other stereo equipments.

The only good looking 360 are the elites. And that's because they're black. I don't know even know why they made a white console. Why would I want some white thing sticking out among my other black components?
It's cause they are racist. Same reason why I like to bowl. ;)

BTW, anybody here ever install Linux on their PS3? Seems like a cool side project but I can't imagine doing anything with it aside from some tinkering.
With Sony's hypervisor and anemic quantity of RAM, I'm not really encouraged to. :(

I'm curious to know what has happened to the innards to get this shrink. Has the GPU die shrink finally happened so heat won't be an issue? I am assuming so. What, if anything, did they cut out or cheapen also?

They still can take out the power supply and use a laptop drive to make it smaller.

Huh? It already uses a laptop hard drive. And the last thing I want is another giant power brick behind my console. Thanks Microsoft.

Wonder what the power draw is on it? The PS3 was a hog.

Huh? It already uses a laptop hard drive. And the last thing I want is another giant power brick behind my console. Thanks Microsoft.

Thank heavens they did that, though...I mean think about how many MORE RROD consoles we'd have to deal with! Like, 95 percent of them would overheat if the power supply were inside the console. I, personally, think the power brick idea is a good one. It can save a lot of room and help with cooling.

Thank heavens they did that, though...I mean think about how many MORE RROD consoles we'd have to deal with! Like, 95 percent of them would overheat if the power supply were inside the console. I, personally, think the power brick idea is a good one. It can save a lot of room and help with cooling.

It was only a good idea because they don't know how to make a stable console.

I like the new look a lot. I will take the matte finish over the high-gloss any day. I also quite like the lack of crappy plastic chrome.

I was in the market in July to buy a PS3 and never did. I'm pretty stoked for this.. I will get one for sure.

No one cares anymore. The Wii is like a novelty item. My sister GAVE me hers and I never use it.

Doesn't matter. I'd actually agree with that statement, for my personal tastes, but the thing is this: numbers speak volumes. When a puny novelty item is kicking your ass, that says something.

Back