• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Sony hit again with two hacks

Its rather pathetic that a huge company like Sony allowed their network to be compromised, again, you think Sony couldn't afford to maintain better security on their network.
 
I think it's fair. Sony doesn't have a problem with "take down a small company" and "kick them when they're down", even when they're legally in the wrong. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Sony should feel honored to have hackers behaving like them--ignoring the law to take down someone they don't like.

Yeah and by doing so, these hackers are hurting all the people that just want to play their games that they bought...

It's like the common terrorist "hey the government of some country is pissing me off, let me kill people that have no participation in decisions from said government...I will not strike the people in the government themselves, only those not in the government that are just living their normal lives"

That makes sense...oh wait...
 
Aren't these attacks done primarily for personal financial gain and ultimately victimize innocent third parties?

Pssst, don't bring sense to this discussion!

The people supporting hackers want to have their moment of fame!
 
except that for the first 3 years of PS3's existence they weren't modified consoles. They were just using one of the features that they shipped and advertised. Its like saying people with custom themes on their XMB are modified consoles and should be banned. They only became "modified consoles" after their bullshit forced firmware update that disabled otherOS and locked the partition it was installed on. blocking you from accessing that partition ever again and all the data space there was lost. your 250gig ps3 just became 150 gigs because they locked up almost half your hard drive.

no matter how many times you try to tell a lie, it will not become true.....

Fact #1
Hackers were poking around in the PS3 before Sony removed the other os feature.
Fact #2
Sony see what's up and decides enough is enough and removed the ability to run another os on the machine.
Fact #3
Hackers got mad and decided to expose the master key on the ps3
Fact #4
Hackers decide to bring down the PSN so now no one has full access to the PSN....


Go back and look at what happened first, the posting about poking around in the PS3 memory or the removal of the other os feature and tell me which one occurred first?

thanks for playing..

abd btw the PS3 does not reserve half of your hdd......how do I know? lol cause I actually have a PS3 with over 100GB free on a 160GB drive...
 
no matter how many times you try to tell a lie, it will not become true.....

Fact #1
Hackers were poking around in the PS3 before Sony removed the other os feature.
Fact #2
Sony see what's up and decides enough is enough and removed the ability to run another os on the machine.
Fact #3
Hackers got mad and decided to expose the master key on the ps3
Fact #4
Hackers decide to bring down the PSN so now no one has full access to the PSN....


Go back and look at what happened first, the posting about poking around in the PS3 memory or the removal of the other os feature and tell me which one occurred first?

thanks for playing..

abd btw the PS3 does not reserve half of your hdd......how do I know? lol cause I actually have a PS3 with over 100GB free on a 160GB drive...

Which just supports the argument that Sony is shit. If Sony knew hackers were "poking around" long before OtherOS was scrapped and it still didn't bother to tighten up security (or, you know, use a firewall...), then what else can you say?
 
They probably have their IT guys installing USB Tea Cup Warmers, like the rest of the arrogant corporations out there, who piss on IT like they were lapdogs. I applaud the hackers...though part of me thinks the sissies ought to start targeting like the CIA and FBI and stuff instead of targeting people who just want to play some games. We'll see how long law enforcement sits on their ass then...
 
Which just supports the argument that Sony is shit. If Sony knew hackers were "poking around" long before OtherOS was scrapped and it still didn't bother to tighten up security (or, you know, use a firewall...), then what else can you say?

Here let me fix that for you

Which just supports the argument that hackers are shit. If hackers knew that "poking around" would result in OtherOS being removed and still didn't bother to quit poking around, then what else can you say?

Lets see

Hackers:

1. forced the removal of otheros resuling in a dis-service for legitimate users
2. hacked into Sony's network and
a. stole data for personal gain
b. disrupted the service for all of Sony's legitimate customers......

So tell me, how do I, as a legitimate user benefit from all of this? Answer is, I don't......
 
So tell me, how do I, as a legitimate user benefit from all of this? Answer is, I don't......
I don't think he was arguing that Sony-approved users benefit from the hacks.

Also, you're talking about two different groups (and types) of hackers. The ones that gave users control over their own systems--which the users paid for--are much different than the ones that accessed personal user data.
 
Last edited:
I don't think he was arguing that Sony-approved users benefit from the hacks.

Also, you're talking about two different groups (and types) of hackers. The ones that gave users control over their own systems--which the users paid for--are much different than the ones that accessed personal user data.

uhm,

you assume they are 2 different groups.....and I also PAID for my PS3 and the SERVICES that came with it that I (alone with many others) CANNOT FULLY USE.

The fact are as they are, the HACKERS started this whole fiasco when they started messing around with the system.

BTW, I i am one who agrees with you can do whatever you want with your hardware as long as it does not impact the rights of others that are using the same hardware. Sony should take a stance similar to MS and ban any console that does not have standard Sony issued firmware on it from the ability to access the PSN.

Oh, wait, all of the cry babies will come out and say OMG Sony is so unfair.........just like they do with MS when they do their yearly ban hammer right around the holidays...(something I find extremely amusing)
 
I condemn Sony because of it being absolutely useless at protecting its customers' information with having its servers unpatched and not firewalled, and then taking a week to admit the fuckup and the full extent of the breach. I couldn't care less about OtherOS since I never used it. So good luck trying to label every Sony critic as being a crybaby over OtherOS' removal.
 
The fact are as they are, the HACKERS started this whole fiasco when they started messing around with the system.

BTW, I i am one who agrees with you can do whatever you want with your hardware as long as it does not impact the rights of others that are using the same hardware. Sony should take a stance similar to MS and ban any console that does not have standard Sony issued firmware on it from the ability to access the PSN.

I don't have a PS3, but does poking around in the system's memory, or unlocking features of the system have any ill effect on other users, or Sony itself?
 
I don't have a PS3, but does poking around in the system's memory, or unlocking features of the system have any ill effect on other users, or Sony itself?

Did you really ask that question? Really now? Obviously it did have an affect as it ultimately lead to the console heing hacked and pirated games to be run.......and in turn lead to network getting hacked and legitimate users being affected when their data was stolen and the service was rendered inaccesable......
 
Funny to see all the Sony haters holding on to grudges that are over 10 years old, haha.

No kidding. Yes, as if Lik-Sang was/is the only place to buy anything related to import games and system hacking accessories. GTFO.

Bleem? Really?

I'd like to see how many people actually used otherOS. I'd probably get a chuckle at the numbers.

Those numbers will never be available, because they're so miniscule, it would hurt the hacker argument that OtherOS was valuable! :rolleyes:

If the reports are true and Sony was running outdated unsecured servers, then (sorry) a part of me says "they deserve what they get". It's bad enough when a regular desktop user is too stupid to run an AV+firewall; it's even worse when a giant corporation does it on their servers that host any online content. That's just plum dumb. :rolleyes: That being said - the hacker community, I hope they rot and burn. Get off the couch, get a job, and pay for your games like everyone else. Quit bitching about not being able to run Linux on a fucking videogame console.
 
Those numbers will never be available, because they're so miniscule, it would hurt the hacker argument that OtherOS was valuable! :rolleyes:
Windows wasn't so hot in its first three years either. It would have been even worse if it had been crippled like otheros was.
 
I don't have a PS3, but does poking around in the system's memory, or unlocking features of the system have any ill effect on other users, or Sony itself?

No, but people "poking around" in software does (assuming you know what you're doing) because it then leads to software companies having more strict security (which consumers end up paying for) or viruses for the people who really want to be douchebags.

No one cares if you buy memory and start fiddling around with it because the company has made their money off you and might even make more money off you when you fail and break it, nor does it affect other users (assuming you dont be an arsehole and get an RMA on something YOU broke).
 
If the reports are true and Sony was running outdated unsecured servers, then (sorry) a part of me says "they deserve what they get". It's bad enough when a regular desktop user is too stupid to run an AV+firewall; it's even worse when a giant corporation does it on their servers that host any online content. That's just plum dumb. :rolleyes: That being said - the hacker community, I hope they rot and burn. Get off the couch, get a job, and pay for your games like everyone else. Quit bitching about not being able to run Linux on a fucking videogame console.

That pretty much sums up my opinion (well except the part about regular desktop users because typically you only learn about that stuff after you've already been fucked over, and I dont see my parents ever learning the nuances of internet security, particularly my Mum who averages about 1 system crippling virus per year).

But other than that I agree with your opnion on Sony and hackers, lol.
 
No one cares if you buy memory and start fiddling around with it because the company has made their money off you and might even make more money off you when you fail and break it, nor does it affect other users (assuming you dont be an arsehole and get an RMA on something YOU broke).

Well, I was under the impression that consoles are actually sold at a loss because they expect to make a mint on game licensing fees & accessories. I agree that people who misuse their abilities to write viruses and such are nothing but assholes who tend to ruin stuff for other people, but you don't see automobiles being banned or saddled with speed limit enforcing governors or computers, because a small minority of people misuse them. It may a bad analogy, but that's how I see this whole thing in my mind anyway.

Did you really ask that question? Really now? Obviously it did have an affect as it ultimately lead to the console heing hacked and pirated games to be run.......and in turn lead to network getting hacked and legitimate users being affected when their data was stolen and the service was rendered inaccesable......

I asked a serious question, expecting a serious answer, not some belittling comment. I don't own a PS3, or any Sony product for that matter, so I've only taken a passing interest in the whole Geohotz & Sony network being hacked. I typically have better things to do than spend all day siting around reading tech sites and blogs to get every last little detail about the whole thing.

I also was not even really referring to the problem of the network being hacked, I'm talking about having the ability to modify the console itself as you see fit, not including cheating or piracy of course. If they wanted to curb piracy or prevent modified consoles from being used online, I don't see why they couldn't have just blocked online access to their service, similar to how modified Xbox's are blocked / banned from using Xbox Live. Hey, but then again, I don't have a PS3, so what do I know?
 
I asked a serious question, expecting a serious answer, not some belittling comment. I don't own a PS3, or any Sony product for that matter, so I've only taken a passing interest in the whole Geohotz & Sony network being hacked. I typically have better things to do than spend all day siting around reading tech sites and blogs to get every last little detail about the whole thing.?

OhEmGeez you don't own ps3 you has no right to opinion you is trolling!
 
LEAVE SONY ALONE! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!
YEAH! LEAVE SONY ENTERTAINMENT ALONE! ... RIGHT NOW! ... I MEAN IT!

Anyone that has a problem with them you deal with me, because Sony is not well right now. They gave you a free game but all you want is MORE, MORE, MORE! You are lucky Sony even brought the system online for you BASTARDS!

LEAVE SONY ALONE!
 
No you didn't the only way that could be a serious question is if you were just beamed onto the planet the moment before you made that post....

Reading comprehension fail? Or did you just ignore the rest of my post and only read that part of the sentence you quoted?
 
YEAH! LEAVE SONY ENTERTAINMENT ALONE! ... RIGHT NOW! ... I MEAN IT!

Anyone that has a problem with them you deal with me, because Sony is not well right now. They gave you a free game but all you want is MORE, MORE, MORE! You are lucky Sony even brought the system online for you BASTARDS!

LEAVE SONY ALONE!

I can't work out if this is serious or not...
 
Well it looks like they're even now; Sony was all over MS for RRoD, now they get to continue dealing with their major issue, the PSN.

As gamers - we all lose. :(
 
i dont know how you can say they deserve it....The people who are pissed about the issues listed through out this thread are a minuscule amount of the actual playstation users.

Sony didn't deserve shit, nor do the millions of playstation users that could care the fuck less about OtherOS and what not.

If even 25% of the users had used those options, then it might be a big deal but I suspect the amount of users that used it is soooo small (like < 1%)

the gamers and playstation users are the ones that lose. the companies that make and sell items for playstation, both retail and PSN store are the ones who lose.

The people that are responsible for all this, should be the ones that all are pissed at, not sony.

Now Yes, sonys stuff needed to be secure in the first place, so that is a good thing to be fixed.
 
i dont know how you can say they deserve it....The people who are pissed about the issues listed through out this thread are a minuscule amount of the actual playstation users.

Sony didn't deserve shit, nor do the millions of playstation users that could care the fuck less about OtherOS and what not.

If even 25% of the users had used those options, then it might be a big deal but I suspect the amount of users that used it is soooo small (like < 1%)

the gamers and playstation users are the ones that lose. the companies that make and sell items for playstation, both retail and PSN store are the ones who lose.

The people that are responsible for all this, should be the ones that all are pissed at, not sony.

Now Yes, sonys stuff needed to be secure in the first place, so that is a good thing to be fixed.

Careful. Posts like this will get quoted by certain people around here, lol...
 
I have to say this again, I still don't understand why people think that these attacks which ultimately end up victimizing consumers and are more often than not done for financial gain should be celebrated by the victimized consumers in the first place?

I would think even if you hate Sony for business practices and place blame on them for not protecting your information, that you should rationally also blame the attackers for stealing your information to sell to third parties for financial gain?

Do people really think that most of these attacks are simply done out of principal to "stick it to the man?" It is a big business these days.
 
I have to say this again, I still don't understand why people think that these attacks which ultimately end up victimizing consumers and are more often than not done for financial gain should be celebrated by the victimized consumers in the first place?

I would think even if you hate Sony for business practices and place blame on them for not protecting your information, that you should rationally also blame the attackers for stealing your information to sell to third parties for financial gain?

Do people really think that most of these attacks are simply done out of principal to "stick it to the man?" It is a big business these days.

But bu- OtherOS!!!!! SUCH A GOOD FEATURE! and.. and sti-sticking it to the man..! I'm NEVER buying Sony products again!!!11!

/bitchlikeawhinygirlmultipletimesineverysinglesonyrelatedthread
 
wow this might be worse than the people who were about to seppuku when they found out FF13 was going to be multiplatform.

although that was a little more ridiculous.
 
But bu- OtherOS!!!!! SUCH A GOOD FEATURE! and.. and sti-sticking it to the man..! I'm NEVER buying Sony products again!!!11!

/bitchlikeawhinygirlmultipletimesineverysinglesonyrelatedthread
It's not about otherOS specifically.

Sony inadvertently build a lake of antipathy against themselves chasing money; the dam was bound to break sooner or later.
 
No sympathy.
Still mad about Dreamcast... and rootkit..... and Bleem..... and Other OS..... and memstick pro duo.... and Securrom... and lawsuits against customers....

Hostile company being delt the same way. They brought it on themselves.

/thread
 
Back
Top