If you make it so that games need activation, the pirates will get around it. If you need the DVD in to play, the pirates will STILL get around it.
But, if you give us achievements, online co-op, live matchmaking, etc... then people have to buy the games. I think the windows Live gamercard is the answer... make it so you play "online" in single player mode, and the game checks in with a server every so often - updating stats and giving information (and oh, by the way, making sure the game is legit)
No big deal... and it makes the game MORE fun for the user. (I'm addicted to my GoW achievements - and now am looking at a 360 just because there are so FEW achievement tracking games for vista)
But, if you give us achievements, online co-op, live matchmaking, etc... then people have to buy the games. I think the windows Live gamercard is the answer... make it so you play "online" in single player mode, and the game checks in with a server every so often - updating stats and giving information (and oh, by the way, making sure the game is legit)
No big deal... and it makes the game MORE fun for the user. (I'm addicted to my GoW achievements - and now am looking at a 360 just because there are so FEW achievement tracking games for vista)