• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Solution to piracy?

I don't think forcing ISP's to be responsible for anti-piracy is logical. That's like making the USPS responsible for every illegal thing that goes through the mail.
Plus.. I don't think inspecting every single packet through a magical anti-piracy routine would be very good for the general speed of the internet if even possible

not to mention completely pissing off people who think it violates their privacy, and causing everything sent over the net to be heavily encrypted in 8 different ways........ which actually could be a good thing
 
sorry man, StarControl 2 did sell like hotcakes. its considered one of the best 1992 games, and one of the best games ever!

Stardock has a good piracy answer.
But ill be damned if I will ever pay for M$ live! $50 bucks a year ti have voice chat in the game!? sorry, its already free.
the whole Live! thing for PC is a total waist. Any developer who signs up for it deservs to be taken out back quietly.......
Live! wants to take features that are already part of many games and are free, and make you pay for them. Its not "added" value, its a rip off.

starcontrol? lol.

welcome to modern day geekdom where SC=starcraft
 
i got a solution to piracy for you - start making games that are worth buying again.
 
How to make net-connected single player games attractive:

Offer single-player content updates online. You buy the game, register your CD key to an account, and in exchange you get additional levels, weapons, models, whatever available for download. Give people a reason to connect to the servers other than simply calling home.

You'll still have the core game pirated, but people who really like the game will have to buy a copy to get the most out of it, single player or multi.

Very astute idea. Let the scummy pirates get the game, but leave them in the legit user's dust when it comes to updates and extra content. Make the pirates feel lesser and hopefully inspire them to actually buy the fucking game instead of thieving it.


Anyway, the biggest problem with piracy is that Johnny Depp single-handedly makes it cool. "I'm only borrowing it!". No, shit head, you're stealing someone elses hard work you lazy fuck. :p
 
solution to piracy is easy:
  • user must connect to internet to verify game when playing for the 1st time (don't have internet access? tough luck, get with the program and stop using a PII with floppy disks
  • sell games for $19.99 not $50
  • actually make GOOD games not POS that sell for $50
 
solution to piracy is easy:
  • user must connect to internet to verify game when playing for the 1st time (don't have internet access? tough luck, get with the program and stop using a PII with floppy disks
  • sell games for $19.99 not $50
  • actually make GOOD games not POS that sell for $50

wrong wrong wrong. btw a p2 with a floppy drive can still connect to the internet. sell games for $20? have you not seen how much money it costs to make a game?
 
well i'll pay 50 for a good game but havn't for a long time. got the orange box for 45 bucks and that was what 3 games.

My only question is why am i paying that much for a digitally distributed game, it should be around 20% less.
 
My only question is why am i paying that much for a digitally distributed game, it should be around 20% less.

The material cost of a game isn't really that much when mass produced. Plus, you forget digital distribubtion isn't free. Someone has to pay for those servers that all users worldwide expect to be up 24/7 and go at full tilt when they download.
 
Perhaps not, but I've bought several games on Steam on their weekend deals that I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Given the numbers some developers throw around about how 200% of games being played are pirated (whatever mad amount it is this week), triple sales doesn't seem so far-fetched if they can make the legitimate copies more attractive by whatever means.
 
Perhaps not, but I've bought several games on Steam on their weekend deals that I wouldn't have bothered with otherwise, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Given the numbers some developers throw around about how 200% of games being played are pirated (whatever mad amount it is this week), triple sales doesn't seem so far-fetched if they can make the legitimate copies more attractive by whatever means.

How attractive can they make games compared to stealing a copy for no money whatsoever? :confused:

Maybe some additional laws related to piracy would help... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning :D
 
solution to piracy is easy:
  • user must connect to internet to verify game when playing for the 1st time (don't have internet access? tough luck, get with the program and stop using a PII with floppy disks


  • If there was a middle finger smiley I would be using it right now. Not all of us are willing to pay exorbatant rates for a cable connection.

    Explain the games that are good that get pirated like there is no tomorrow.

    And now we enter a tangential spiral about whether or not pirates would ever buy a game.
 
If there was a middle finger smiley I would be using it right now. Not all of us are willing to pay exorbatant rates for a cable connection.

I kind of feel the same way but then I also agree with that method of copy control. I had the same issue with Steam... I could copy over the games from my networked box to my non-networked gaming box, but I could not activate. However, because Steam allows you to authenticate once then go 'offline' it works fine if I can just get the gaming box hooked up once, or authenticate on a different machine then copy that config over (I think). Oops, I just cracked it.

But all is fair in piracy and cracking and if a game features that kind of copy control it had better be cheaper than the non-protected variety. Especially if it's download-only and I'm paying for the non-existent box, CD, and distribution.

I'd much rather have the online auth than the 3-installs-only thing, or fifteen different corporate-sponsored rootkits on my box. In fact, since the gaming industry's revenue keeps going up year after year, maybe they should forget about all this crap because obviously piracy is not killing them.

As to the comments about selling games for $20 or less: your sales actually go down when you lower the price to that tier. People assume your game is some little indie thing and sucks compared to the $59.99 Crysis box next to it. $39 or $49 is still the value point, but the price should drop $10 every 9 months.
 
As to the comments about selling games for $20 or less: your sales actually go down when you lower the price to that tier. People assume your game is some little indie thing and sucks compared to the $59.99 Crysis box next to it.

That's a possibility. Maybe more packaged deals like Orange Box then.
 
And now we enter a tangential spiral about whether or not pirates would ever buy a game.

That's the thing though, its so easy to do on the PC everyone is a pirate, its not just a select few anymore.
 
Speak for yourself.

I am, to a point (I purchase mostly all of my games). I admit I've pirated a game or two, just as I'm sure the majority of users on this board have as well. I know how easy it is, hell, I've got friends who are barely computer literate and have loads of pirated games.
 
two types of threads that i wish would automatically get killed are "piracy" threads and the "is pc gaming dying?" threads.
 
Ever listen to a song on youtube or the internet not distributed by the license holder?

You Pirate....:rolleyes:

Because people that watch YouTube videos do so for the express possibility of listening to illegally distributed music. Good example. :rolleyes:
 
Because people that watch YouTube videos do so for the express possibility of listening to illegally distributed music. Good example. :rolleyes:

Ignorance is not a legal excuse. Intent doesn't keep your from be held liable.

If you've used an internet browser you've violated Eolas' patent rights. Also if you've used gifs before the patent ran out or before proper licensing was paid, you were stealing from Unisys. Either would be violating someone else's intellectual property rights. If your on the internet, you're a pirate, intentionally or unintentionally.

Have you ever cut and pasted an article without permission? Or a picture? Used a crack? If so then your piracy was intentional.

I'm not going to complain about piracy, everyones a pirate. What matters is if a person supports the gaming industry by buying games.
 
Back
Top