Solid State Cooling on Display at CES

Complete side topic: What ever happened to that experimental "paint" or thermal-spray that generated electrical current from heat......I think this was shortly before Covid that maybe we were even discussing it here.......like you could paint an engine block, and as the block warmed it produced a current as a byproduct that could be tapped and utilized......is this an apples to donuts comparison to the product mentioned above...?

Looks amazing. Could be revolutionary, especially for notebooks. Can these "vibrating membranes" that move the air fail?

Very cool tech. I wonder if it's able to handle dusty environments though. Is the inside able to be cleaned? Seems like such a thin channel would be very easy to clog.

Complete side topic: What ever happened to that experimental "paint" or thermal-spray that generated electrical current from heat......I think this was shortly before Covid that maybe we were even discussing it here.......like you could paint an engine block, and as the block warmed it produced a current as a byproduct that could be tapped and utilized......is this an apples to donuts comparison to the product mentioned above...?
Thermalelectric paint, it is way different than this tech.

Looks amazing. Could be revolutionary, especially for notebooks. Can these "vibrating membranes" that move the air fail?
I'm sure, I skimmed the video but didn't see anything about durability for the membrane or anything. It's hard to beat the simplicity and durability of ball bearing fans, but the tech is neat!

Very cool tech. I wonder if it's able to handle dusty environments though. Is the inside able to be cleaned? Seems like such a thin channel would be very easy to clog.
From their drawings it looks like there is always a gap in the channel, and the purported back pressure would add resiliency. Compressed air like on blowers and laptops would likely be fine too if that membrane can handle the pressure...

Interesting, the dissipation per consumption ratio isn't great in the smallest one, but it looks like it gains efficiency when you use a larger unit. I wonder if that continues when you scale the tech up to much higher power levels.

These could do a lot for phones and tablets. Theoretically.

I think I'll download their literature and be a huge nerd tonight.

Im thinking if this is out performing biscuit fans with a postage stamp sized fan with less weight and energy, they would make more money from larger ones for VTOL quadcopter designs.

This seems interesting.

When I read the title I thought it was going to be some sort of TEC/Peltier, but this is way more interesting.

I don't see it being particularly useful for our big hot and powerhungry desktops, but for thin mobile devices it should be able to drastically improve the available thermal envelope.

Really? First response is of topic? WTF? Start your own topic.

Not sure I am buying it. Very confused as to WHY they didn't retro fit it to a laptop by manufacturer X, and illustrate the difference between solid state creation and OEMs fan/pipe solution.

Don't get me wrong, it would be pretty cool if it works as advertised, but if they are showing it at CES and comparing to traditional in marketing, SHOW it competing with traditional.

EDIT: went to their website and they have some pretty light white papers/case studies, which is better. Would like to see independent testing.

Side note, in their "consumer comparison" video, I recognized the tatted up white guy as a childhood friend of mine. Crazy.

Last edited:
Not sure I am buying it. Very confused as to WHY they didn't retro fit it to a laptop by manufacturer X, and illustrate the difference between solid state creation and OEMs fan/pipe solution.

Don't get me wrong, it would be pretty cool if it works as advertised, but if they are showing it at CES and comparing to traditional in marketing, SHOW it competing with traditional.

EDIT: went to their website and they have some pretty light white papers/case studies, which is better. Would like to see independent testing.

Side note, in their "consumer comparison" video, I recognized the tatted up white guy as a childhood friend of mine. Crazy.

Yeah, I think the concept is extremely interesting, but I'm not sold until I see it in action. They said it would be appearing in some products later this year though, so that's at least something to keep an eye out for

Back