Socket 939 -- Windows 10

Whizzer

Weaksauce
I know they will not support 64-bit versions, Will the 32-bit versions work??

Last edited:
It does not support CompareExchange128 at least in 64bit flavors, Has anyone installed Windows 10 in a 32-bit mode?

It does not support CompareExchange128 at least in 64bit flavors, Has anyone installed Windows 10 in a 32-bit mode?

Why don't YOU try it?

You can run the installer. And if it fails to install, it should restore your existing image of Windows.

I linked the free installer for WIndows 10 in my post man. Just try and let us know how it runs. ;)

I had issues where installer would hang on system with 4000+ x2. I think it is a windsor core.

Let us know how well it runs. I installed Windows 10 64 on a HP Vista 64 system that uses an AMD Phenom 9750 and it instantly got 3 times faster at everything. With Vista 64 I was going to throw the thing back into the dumpster that I found it. With Windows 10 64 I use it to stream games from my main PC, play games like Shadow of Mordor, watch Twitch, etc in my living room.

Windows 10 64 also runs much better than Windows XP. I installed it on an old Dell notebook with an Intel Core Duo 2. It was so slow that it would take a couple of minutes for a browser to open like Google Chrome. Windows 10 64 runs like a charm. Only negative was that the thing doesn't support high end video options due to it's age. I haven't tried gaming on it yet.

I think it has to do more with the chipset rather than the CPU itself.

Hardware
Asus A8N5X Socket 939
4 Gig Ram, Nvidia 7800GT

Process
1 Installed Win7 Home Premium & Activated
2. Installed IE11
3. Installed missing Drivers
4 Did NOT do any Windows Updates or Antivirus
5 Pre downloaded Windows 10 update
6 Win10 update install went fine, although the video card is not supported

The 64 bit installed win7 ok but the win10 stopped because the CPU did not one the Comparx128 instructions

You are correct, I have been adding application and all working well. Looking at upgrading my video card. Can't use all the ram, thats ok. The bulk of it is used. Beats throwing it out. A dual-core cpu might help.

No. Those processors are HALF the performance of an Athlon 64. I'm sure the OP can drop a few dollars more on an Intel Celeron if it comes to it.

According to this thread, the 32-bit version of Windows 8.1 works with Socket 939:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2396937

And the compatibility list for Windows 8.1 and 10 the same last time I checked.

Looks like a wash....its hard to find comparative benchmarks of products that are 10 years apart.

sempron_3850_vs_athlon_x2_4800.jpg

You are correct, I have been adding application and all working well. Looking at upgrading my video card. Can't use all the ram, thats ok. The bulk of it is used. Beats throwing it out. A dual-core cpu might help.

Congratulations. :)

Looks like a wash....its hard to find comparative benchmarks of products that are 10 years apart.

sempron_3850_vs_athlon_x2_4800.jpg

Do I have to do the math for you? The Athlon 64 has twice the single-threaded performance. In terms of web, that's ALL that matters.

Adding more cores beyond 2 did nothing for anyone, except the professional workstation users, and gamers. Whizzer is doing neither of these.

Do I have to do the math for you? The Athlon 64 has twice the single-threaded performance. In terms of web, that's ALL that matters.

Adding more cores beyond 2 did nothing for anyone, except the professional workstation users, and gamers. Whizzer is doing neither of these.

To be fair, that's at around half the clock speed. Clock for clock the 3850 would match the 4800+ in single-threaded. But, as you pointed out, the 3850 would be an excruciatingly poor choice since there's no way in hell they can be OC'd more than 50-70 MHz (yes...Megahertz) at most, let alone all the way to 2.5 GHz for a daily driver. A Haswell Celeron dual core would blow its doors clean off with a meager price premium if moving off a 939 platform to either AM1 or LGA1150...if it had to be AMD, then I'd opt for one of the cheaper A6 models.

...but for the price of building a Celeron or A6 system, I could probably find a certified refurb dockable laptop, docking station, throw in a cheap SSD, and have a cost effective basic desktop replacement with the benefit of mobility and x64 Win10.

Last edited:
the computer ran 64bit Pclinuxos with
no problems. The unit is being prepped for 12 year old.

After doing a bit of research on the CompareExchange128 problem during a Win10 upgrade...doing a fresh install seems to circumvent the issue, and the newer Win10 install media will allow the use of an existing Win7 or Win8 key...I can confirm that it works, as I performed a fresh install of Win10 Pro x64 on an older 8460p laptop using its Win7 key from the COA under the battery a couple weeks ago.

You may already know all this, however. ;)

the computer ran 64bit Pclinuxos with
no problems. The unit is being prepped for 12 year old.

All the more reason it should run linux (IMO anyway :)). Glad you gave a new life to the system either way.

After doing a bit of research on the CompareExchange128 problem during a Win10 upgrade...doing a fresh install seems to circumvent the issue, and the newer Win10 install media will allow the use of an existing Win7 or Win8 key...I can confirm that it works, as I performed a fresh install of Win10 Pro x64 on an older 8460p laptop using its Win7 key from the COA under the battery a couple weeks ago.

You may already know all this, however. ;)

I think that he didn't do this looking at the steps that he listed earlier. Hope Whizzer reads this post. :) He can download Win 10 from MS and install it fresh to see if the 64 bit works. When I upgraded my PC everything was a little "off" until I got made and did a fresh install.

This thread is making me want to dust off my X2 4850e system and run Win10 (and a Linux distro on it).

I have everything, even a shitty HP case to put it all into.

I have a dual socket 940 motherboard with a couple dual core 285 opterons. 16GB of DDR1. Its running windows 8 x64 great. It has a pci express video card amd 6450. Has usb3.0 card and all that also. Great to know i can finally upgrade to windows 10 x64 instead of 32bit and lose like 13GB of ram. I thought it was the end of the line when i couldn't install 8.1 x64:eek:. This computer does everything my main gaming machine does except hard core gaming ;).

I bought 4GB modules of DDR1 Viking memory awhile back to get 32GB of memory but it seems the motherboard doesn't support 4GB DDR1 sticks. Maxed out at 16GB. Dual sockets feels good to have. 2 sockets, thats why i still have it lol.

Sorry to dust off an old thread, but I have some info that may be relevant to some folks...

I just did a fresh install of Win10 Pro x64 on an old HP dc5750s as a test with this thread in mind.

SPECS
Athlon64 X2 4000+
3GB RAM
80GB HDD
DVD-ROM/CDRW Combo Drive
3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Quadro 290 NVS

During the setup process where it asks where you want to install Windows, I kept getting an error message about Unable to use or create partition. After some research, it turns out that the USB3 flash drive used for installation was the culprit. After replicating the install media onto a USB2 drive, everything went off without a hitch. The only driver I had to install was for the Quadro...everything else was natively supported by Win10, and everything works!

I'm amazed at how fast and snappy it is for being a much older system with very limited computing resources...much faster/responsive than XP Pro, Vista Enterprise, and 7 Enterprise were.

So, if you have an older S939 or AM2 A64 system and are thinking about taking the Win10 plunge, then do it!

Just keep in mind you may have to use a USB2 flash drive if you're not installing off of the ODD.

I'm curious what the box is for?

Or is this just a feasibility thing for shits and giggles?

You could pull newer hardware out of a dumpster (or for free on craigslist)

Timely thread. I'm actually piecing together a DFI LanParty NF4 Socket 939 with an Athlon X2 3800+ right now. I found a cheap copy of Win 10 32 bit for it and was hoping it would work. Just a "project PC' - something to tinker with for fun.

Timely thread. I'm actually piecing together a DFI LanParty NF4 Socket 939 with an Athlon X2 3800+ right now. I found a cheap copy of Win 10 32 bit for it and was hoping it would work. Just a "project PC' - something to tinker with for fun.
You owe that board to get a used Opteron 165. God those were fun days of O/Cing.

So how far back can we go with windows 10? I have various bits of hardware that dates back to socket 7 days... I'm the kind of idiot who installed windows 3.1 on a 1.4 GHz slot P3. I think it might be fun to install win3.1 on some newer hardware and see if i can get win10 to install on extremely old hardware.

:D

Quick web search revealed the following:

It's thus worth adding that the Windows 10 technical preview has these requirements:
* Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
* RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
* Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
* Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
* A Microsoft account and Internet access.

Seems that Win10 is pretty flexible with hardware.

Sorry to dust off an old thread, but I have some info that may be relevant to some folks...

I just did a fresh install of Win10 Pro x64 on an old HP dc5750s as a test with this thread in mind.

SPECS
Athlon64 X2 4000+
3GB RAM
80GB HDD
DVD-ROM/CDRW Combo Drive
3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Quadro 290 NVS

During the setup process where it asks where you want to install Windows, I kept getting an error message about Unable to use or create partition. After some research, it turns out that the USB3 flash drive used for installation was the culprit. After replicating the install media onto a USB2 drive, everything went off without a hitch. The only driver I had to install was for the Quadro...everything else was natively supported by Win10, and everything works!

I'm amazed at how fast and snappy it is for being a much older system with very limited computing resources...much faster/responsive than XP Pro, Vista Enterprise, and 7 Enterprise were.

So, if you have an older S939 or AM2 A64 system and are thinking about taking the Win10 plunge, then do it!

Just keep in mind you may have to use a USB2 flash drive if you're not installing off of the ODD.

Crazy question - but how well is the floppy drive supported in Windows 10? Windows 7 64 bit always seemed to have trouble with them - in my experience anyways.

Back