Socket 939 -- Windows 10

Crazy question - but how well is the floppy drive supported in Windows 10? Windows 7 64 bit always seemed to have trouble with them - in my experience anyways.

No problems that I could discern. ...Comes up as the A drive and reads from / writes to 3.5" 1.44MB FDs.

No problems that I could discern. ...Comes up as the A drive and reads from / writes to 3.5" 1.44MB FDs.

Sweet. Windows 7 would show up as A drive and even read from, but write to? Nope. I went through some external USB drive exchanges before I realized that the exchanged ones had the same problems. Finally tried it on Windows XP and BAM - worked just like it should. I know I know - who uses floppy drives these days? Well - old DOS boxes do. :)

Sweet. Windows 7 would show up as A drive and even read from, but write to? Nope. I went through some external USB drive exchanges before I realized that the exchanged ones had the same problems. Finally tried it on Windows XP and BAM - worked just like it should. I know I know - who uses floppy drives these days? Well - old DOS boxes do. :)
Dude just run a VM for the DOS box and then you can use any media as the A drive. Poof, no more need for floppies.

[21CW]killerofall;1042130096 said:
Dude just run a VM for the DOS box and then you can use any media as the A drive. Poof, no more need for floppies.

Well, there's still the need to get the data off of the floppy disks and onto alternative media...that requires a FDD. Plus, you'd be surprised how many FDD users are still out there in the world. I'm one of them, on very rare occasion. Still have a fine collection of both 5.25" and 3.5" disks. :)

On another note: all current Windows 10 updates downloaded and applied with zero problems. The old X2 is trucking along just fine with Win10. ;)

My experiment failed. The DFI nForce4 wouldn't finish the clean installation with Win 10 32 Bit. Right before it was ready to run the desktop for the first time it would crash. Probably missing drivers. Might could use Nlite to combine them, but its just not worth the hassle right now for me.

My experiment failed. The DFI nForce4 wouldn't finish the clean installation with Win 10 32 Bit. Right before it was ready to run the desktop for the first time it would crash. Probably missing drivers. Might could use Nlite to combine them, but its just not worth the hassle right now for me.

Bummer! :(

I am also trying to install Windows 10 on a DFI Lanparty nF4 (Ultra D) but I am having the same issue, install seems to go fine but after the restart while it is "Getting Ready" I get the new BSOD with a WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR...

I am using an Opteron 146, I also seemed to be limited to x86 install, which is OK if it would work!

Anyone have any luck getting this working?

There used to be a way to tap one of the function keys and get a prompt to install an alternate HAL.

I had to do that once installing/running XP on an old Dell laptop. I think something was fubar with the CPU
and using the alternate HAL worked and it ran fine. I think those options may have been used more for
AMD CPUs. You may also lose multi-core support with that option, I don't remember.

Not sure if Windows 10 would even support such a legacy install, seeing as it seems meant to look forward
and not support old CPUs and equipment so much.

Maybe worth a try if you like to tinker though.

I installed Windows 10 Pro 32-bit on an Opteron 185...seems to work fine. It's not super fast but it is a pretty old dual-core.

try running at stock and disable or remove anything and everything you can. see if you can get the install to complete and then re-add and enable things one at a time.

I installed Windows 10 Pro 32-bit on an Opteron 185...seems to work fine. It's not super fast but it is a pretty old dual-core.

Thanks for the info, good to know it is possible.

I just tried installing Ubuntu, freezes 3/4 through the install. Tried Windows 7, same deal as Windows 10...

Nothing is OCed, RAM passes memtest (did 2 passes), nothing else installed....somewhat stumped

I am installing over an old DVD drive and I think it may be failing...I cannot seem to boot from USB on this DFI board so I am kind of stuck :(

Thanks for the info, good to know it is possible.

I just tried installing Ubuntu, freezes 3/4 through the install. Tried Windows 7, same deal as Windows 10...

Nothing is OCed, RAM passes memtest (did 2 passes), nothing else installed....somewhat stumped

The CPU could be bad.

I got a couple of old Athlon XP/64 CPUs that have duff cache or a bad FPU. Windows XP doesn't care but Linux or Windows 7 crash predictably during setup.

Another possibility is bad capacitors. 10+ years in capacitor time is pretty much EOL, especially if the capacitor has been sitting dormant all that time. The electrolyte breaks down and causes either high ESR, drifting capacitance or both, which in turn can make a motherboard unstable. Not to mention Athlon 64s were smack dab in the middle of the capacitor plague so there's that added into the mix as well.

You may want to spend a few bucks over at Mouser and order replacements for all of the major caps on the board and replace them. I've revived many a dead motherboard by recapping them.

I am installing over an old DVD drive and I think it may be failing...I cannot seem to boot from USB on this DFI board so I am kind of stuck :(

Try the PLOP boot loader:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

Burn it onto a CD and boot that with your flash drive inserted and use PLOP to boot from it. I use this to USB boot really old machines that don't have support for booting from USB or even optical media and it works most of the time.

Last edited:
Sorry to re-dust off an old thread, but I didn't think making a new one was necessary.

First: Just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully installed Win10 Pro 64bit V1709 on the following AM2 platform:
* AMD Athlon64 X2 7850 Kuma
* Biostar TA790GX XE
* 8GB DDR2-800 (4x2GB)
* Crucial M4 256GB SSD (boot)
* WD Black 1TB (storage)
* LG DVD/CDRW Combo
* Radeon R580 4GB (yes, bottlenecked like hell by the CPU, but the 8800GT died and a platform upgrade to a Ryzen 3 or 5 is planned sometime over the next year)

...just like with the S939 system I posted about earlier in the thread, I had to use a USB 2.0 flash drive so the partition selection portion of the Win10 install process would work properly.

Second: I still have the email from way back showing my Athlon64 3000+ Venice purchase from 12 years ago!

939VeniceMonarchEdited.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon that's a lot of lipstick. But I like your style.

I have a quad core FX-4300 system in the garage running Windows 10, and it's definitely slower than other more modern systems I have around the house. It doesn't have the responsiveness other systems do. Not sure why that is. It's on an SSD as well.

I reckon that's a lot of lipstick. But I like your style.

I have a quad core FX-4300 system in the garage running Windows 10, and it's definitely slower than other more modern systems I have around the house. It doesn't have the responsiveness other systems do. Not sure why that is. It's on an SSD as well.

What do you mean "lot of lipstick"? o_O

Ah, gotcha...sorry been a hell of a Monday.

Yeah, it is a bit of lipstick on a pig given its age, but it actually runs really well. The X2 Kuma with 8GB RAM is far above the minimum requirements for Win10 x64, and it's actually pretty responsive with launching and running common/everyday applications, productivity apps (MSO13ProPlus), and playing FHD 1080p content through Amazon Prime and Netflix (with an adequate GPU).

dude, don't get us wrong, I lipstick pigs all the time

just about to drop 48GB RAM and a 1080 in an X58 system

you do you man

Just for more confirmation of what works and what doesn't for socket 939, last year I installed Win10 32bit on my old Asus A8NSLI Premium w/ FX57, 2GB RAM and GTX 950 2GB. Win 10 64bit install just hung (likely the missing instruction problem), so I gave up on that.
Was thinking about upgrading to an FX60 for dual core and getting another 2GB of memory, but really it's pointless and a waste of money. But I'd still love to do it for some reason... I had a great time upgrading my old Asus P5E X58 with E6850 (2 core) and 4 GB RAM to a Q9650 (4 core) for $55 and +4 more GB of RAM for $35 and then I threw a spare GTX 1080 in it for fun. For a ~10 year old system, it does OK.

Second: I still have the email from way back showing my Athlon64 3000+ Venice purchase from 12 years ago!

I bought a 3000+ Winchester and GA-K8NF-9 (nForce4-4x) from MonarchComputer 12/29/2004.

I really need to stop early adopting. Bought Ryzen on release day too, and Haswell within a month of release. Have suffered a lot more issues than if I had just waited.

Does a 1080 work in X58 (BIOS vs UEFI)?

haven't done it myself but lots of people are, one thing that no UEFI does break is most NVME drives as the boot option, but there are workarounds, and the, now EOL, early drives support BIOS.

Back