So, why would one buy an Xbone over PS4?

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Weaker system, check
$100 more expensive, check
Online authentication requirement per 24 hours, check
Used games screwed, check
No more game sharing/trading/lending, check
Less value on Gold vs PSN Plus free games, check
Region locked, check
Requires Subscription for Entertainment services, check
Forced Kinect, check

I even think PS4 looks much better and sleeker but that's subjective.

If Microsoft remained so arrogant that they're not willing to change their DRM policies and maybe even lower the price of the system, I honestly see this the end of Microsoft consoles and the Xbone will truly be the Last one lol. They seriously are NO Competition to Sony as of right now.

As a video gamer that won't benefit me since better competition will only lead to more value for us consumers, so I truly hope MS will get their head out of their ass for once and attempt to fix this mess, damage has been done, but it's still not too late for them.

Last edited:
Never underestimate the power of the fanboy...

Or Microsoft's ability to flip on some of it's announced features... once preorder numbers for both consoles start coming out closer to release.

If I get one, I'll be getting a PS4, no question about it.

I know some of my friends are planning on getting the new Xbox even though they know it sucks in comparison to the PS4 because their friends already have an Xbox and it's easier to connect with them versus buying a new console...plus people still believe that Xbox will have the better exclusives

Since titanfall will be out on PC I'm can't see myself running out to get either but I imagine you'd get Xbone for some of the launch pseudo exclusives. I say pseudo because even if they claim that they're exclusives most everything I want comes to PC anyway.

I don't see where all the hate for MS is coming from, and I've been a hardcore Sony fan for years.
Honestly I thought the Sony event was boring and poorly done. Where do they find these people? It's sad when the Japanese guy who was extremely nervous presenting in English gave the best speech....

The only high moment that elicited any kind of audience applause was when they mentioned used games.

Weaker system, check - This is probably negligible - either way they're way underpowered compared to PC. Console gaming is more and more about the total experience.

$100 more expensive, check - Just because of Kinect (it is nice having the choice to not buy the Eye with the PS4. I bet they eventually release a Kinect-less bundle for cheaper)

Online authentication requirement per 24 hours, check - who cares, what are we in 1995?

Used games screwed, check - I know some people trade and play like crazy. Coming from steam this doesn't matter at all to me. However, I'm sure there will be a way around this, MS will pull back a bit, or it won't be as bad as everyone thinks. If not then MS has a lot of angry people leaving xbox360 for ps4.

Less value on Gold vs PSN Plus free games, check - MS added two free games a month and on a yearly basis the cost is the same. PSN Plus is only cheaper if you go 15 month sub.

Region locked, check - This sucks, but I've been dealing with this forever - typically always have a NA and J version of each console... it is what it is.

Requires Subscription for Entertainment services, check - ? Are you referring to Netflix etc? PS4 does too, and requires PS+ for any multi-player.

I'll more than likely buy both systems down the road. I left PC gaming about a month ago because it's not something I can enjoy with my family, so I'm going back to consoles. I think they are both good systems, and each have pretty much all the same games coming out with the exception of a few exclusives.

Last edited:
I can't think of a single reason why anyone would by an Xbox One over a PS4. I could see someone buying one in addtion to a PS4, but not by itself. Not a single friend, family member or co-worker that I know plans on buying an Xbox One. That is probably over 50 people that I know that are gamers that are going PS4 only for console.

As gamers we are all (everyone I know) pretty much disgusted by Microsoft's arrogance and greed with the decisions they have made with the upcoming Xbox (as well as Windows8 come to think of it). So disgusted that at this point even if they reversed all of their controversial decisions and dropped the price of the new console I still won't buy one, that's how pissed I am at MS.

Never underestimate the fan boy reality distortion field...it is very powerful.

No idea.

The PS4 is going to be an ideal complement for gaming along side my PC. I already placed my $399 preorder for it over Amazon last night.

I couldn't make much more of a confident and super easy decision.

I don't see where all the hate for MS is coming from, and I've been a hardcore Sony fan for years.

So out of all that stuff you listed, would you rather pay MORE to take those chances you so easily passed off as "no big deal"?

The ps4 can't overlay fantasy stats on my screen
Already have an existing microsoft ecosystem in my house (surface, wp8, windows 8)
All my friends own xbox's
Already have gold
Could care less about games

So out of all that stuff you listed, would you rather pay MORE to take those chances you so easily passed off as "no big deal"?

Yes, because I'm interested in Kinect. Sony's never really took off and the new and improved Kinect looks amazing. Also, same as above, almost everyone I know has xbox.

I pre-ordered the Xbox1 and will likely pick up a PS4 the next time I'm in Japan.

Honestly I thought the Sony event was boring and poorly done. Where do they find these people? It's sad when the Japanese guy who was extremely nervous presenting in English gave the best speech....

The only high moment that elicited any kind of audience applause was when they mentioned used games.

Weaker system, check - This is probably negligible - either way they're way underpowered compared to PC. Console gaming is more and more about the total experience.

$100 more expensive, check - Just because of Kinect (it is nice having the choice to not buy the Eye with the PS4. I bet they eventually release a Kinect-less bundle for cheaper)

Online authentication requirement per 24 hours, check - who cares, what are we in 1995?

Used games screwed, check - I know some people trade and play like crazy. Coming from steam this doesn't matter at all to me. However, I'm sure there will be a way around this, MS will pull back a bit, or it won't be as bad as everyone thinks. If not then MS has a lot of angry people leaving xbox360 for ps4.

Less value on Gold vs PSN Plus free games, check - MS added two free games a month and on a yearly basis the cost is the same. PSN Plus is only cheaper if you go 15 month sub.

Region locked, check (was this confirmed?) - This sucks, but I've been dealing with this forever - typically always have a NA and J version of each console... it is what it is.

Requires Subscription for Entertainment services, check - ? Are you referring to Netflix etc? PS4 does too, and requires PS+ for any multi-player.

I'll more than likely buy both systems down the road. I left PC gaming about a month ago because it's not something I can enjoy with my family, so I'm going back to consoles. I think they are both good systems, and each have pretty much all the same games coming out with the exception of a few exclusives.

No doubt about it, buying both gets you the best of both worlds, but I feel like we watched different broadcasts. There was more life in the Playstation conference than anything that came out of the MS conference. I like games for both of them, but I feel, personally, that I only need one really to enjoy great gaming, so I'm going with the Playstation solely due to the fact that more people I know will be getting it (and let's not forget other mentionables as well that factor into that).

Already have an existing microsoft ecosystem in my house (surface, wp8, windows 8)
Already have gold

So basically you have an xbox and pay for gold because other people you know have the same and you feel the need to conform even though you aren't interested in gaming. It's sad that MS has people like you that will blindly follow them to a field of shit and pretend it's flowers.

You can't defend the Xbox by saying "Well if Microsoft changes this, then it will be ok. If they leave it like they said it will, then xbox 360 owners will move to the ps4."....

That isn't an argument...

I pre ordered the xbox one. i never could get myself to like the PS controllers

Already have gold

Couldn't. If you don't care about games then why does it matter that your friends have xbox's?

I imagine they'll backpeddle on most if not all the bad stuff though and it'll be back to status quo. I really don't expect any loyalists will do this theoretical ship jumping. In the games department they did just fine at E3.

You can't defend the Xbox by saying "Well if Microsoft changes this, then it will be ok. If they leave it like they said it will, then xbox 360 owners will move to the ps4."....

That isn't an argument...

I wasn't arguing in favor of the xbox1. I just don't get all the hate. Even on the used games issue, it's like buying games on Steam.

So basically you have an xbox and pay for gold because other people you know have the same and you feel the need to conform even though you aren't interested in gaming. It's sad that MS has people like you that will blindly follow them to a field of shit and pretend it's flowers.

Not everyone uses their xbox 360 for gaming. It is my media center. I am just upgrading.

From a media center perspective I would rather have the xbox one. I do not see what the ps4 brings to the table that the xbox one doesn't do.

The ps4 does not have an hdmi in.

Both can do 4K movies.
Both can do netflix.
Both do not support 4K resolution for games.

Because of the games. People can look past those other flaws. Halo, Forza..... That's why people buy consoles - for the games.

For me, I don't like Halo and Forza is a nice game, but it's just another racing game. Other exclusives I don't really care about. PS4 is a nice system, built for the gamer, lower cost, no restrictions, lots of nice games. Multiplatform games? PS4 has the lower cost of entry for those.

The Xbox isn't a bad system. IMO, it's just not the BEST system (or value). This is starting to come down to the old style of console wars - Sega vs. Nintendo. They are very similar, but you get green blood with Nintendo..... Buy what you like and where your favorite games are. If you buy for just the Xbox name, fine. We all buy our favorite brands with something (except for some of you elitists out there....). I've been treated well by Xbox, but Sony offers a lot more this generation where it didn't last.

Even on the used games issue, it's like buying games on Steam.

Quit comparing it to Steam.

Steam works fine. But, before Steam, how many times did you take your PC to a friends house that didn't have one? How many times did you take your game CD to a friends house to play? A console is far from a PC, even though the specs are similar. Consoles are more social types of systems. PC's are generally single player, difficult to move type of systems. There is no comparison between the Steam model on a PC and the game market on a console (other than digital downloads on the systems). Consoles allow you to rent, trade, sell, buy, borrow games. PC games, you buy, install, and it's yours.

If I wanted a game model like Steam on my console, I'd keep my PC only and not buy a console. There would be no point in having two of the same types of gaming machines....

While I agree that it seems awfully grim for MS, I've found that the internet's opinion is never the best gauge for stuff like this.
If the internet was real life, the iPad would be the biggest flop in Apple's history and Ron Paul would be the president.

I can't believe the people standing up for the X1.

How could you not want the ability to lend or sell your games, or play games if you're internet is down or don't have access to internet (military), or use the console without the kinect?

I particularly like the "my phone and tablet is M$ so I want my console to match" argument. Do your socks match your purse and vibrator? :p

How could you not want the ability to lend or sell your games, or play games if you're internet is down or don't have access to internet (military), or use the console without the kinect?

I particularly like the "my phone and tablet is M$ so I want my console to match" argument. Do your socks match your purse and vibrator? :p

:) depends on the day

I do feel for the military guys and gals. That will also greatly affect which countries they can sell in.

Not everyone uses their xbox 360 for gaming. It is my media center. I am just upgrading.

From a media center perspective I would rather have the xbox one. I do not see what the ps4 brings to the table that the xbox one doesn't do.

The ps4 does not have an hdmi in.

Both can do 4K movies.
Both can do netflix.
Both do not support 4K resolution for games.

PS4 can do Netflix as a FREE member
Xbox One CANT do Netflix as a FREE member.

I Pre-order a PS4 for me.

How do I play COD multiplayer with the internet down on the ps4, I will buy it in a second if they have solved that issue?

I think they are all pink. So yes, they do match today ...

1. Used games - some people have never bought or sold a used game. Non issue for many.
2. Internet - a lot of people are already connected 24/7 and not in the military. Non issue for many.
3. Kinect - Some people use it, others don't. Either way, it's just sitting there.... Creepily watching you. All the time.... :)

It's not a bad system. IMO, it's not the best system, either. I pre-ordered a PS4 and won't buy a XB One. Definitely too much restrictions and control there. That's just me, though. Personally, I can't believe people are standing up for Ford... They die so soon anyway. ;)

All of the "TV overlay" features are stuff I'd rather see on my smartphone / tablet while watching the TV. nothing is worse than some horrible UI element getting in the way of the action (to this effect, some broadcast stations are guilty of this at times with poorly placed overlays).

It, just like Kinect, are neat the first time you see it, but quickly become annoying.

All of the "TV overlay" features are stuff I'd rather see on my smartphone / tablet while watching the TV. nothing is worse than some horrible UI element getting in the way of the action (to this effect, some broadcast stations are guilty of this at times with poorly placed overlays).

Falling Skies had a cool little thing on the tablet that ran while you watched the show. During commercials, there were little trivia and games and things. It was really cool. Kept me in the room during commercials. Probably wears off quickly, but it was fun the time I used it.

On screen overlays piss me off. Even when they pop up a small ad showing a new show coming up. Can't stand it. Get it off my TV.

No legitimate reason other than to play exclusives at this point. I loved my xbox 360 (still love it) and don't own a PS3. Tables have turned - PS4 is the clear winner this time around. Additionally Microsoft arrogance with win 8 and the xbox one has irritated me enough where I will refrain from purchasing the xbox one this time around (voting with my wallet). I will refrain even if they reverse all their bad decisions - just to make a point. Kudos Sony for a decisive victory...

Signed,
Former Xbox fanboi

1. Used games - some people have never bought or sold a used game. Non issue for many.
2. Internet - a lot of people are already connected 24/7 and not in the military. Non issue for many.
3. Kinect - Some people use it, others don't. Either way, it's just sitting there.... Creepily watching you. All the time.... :)

It's not a bad system. IMO, it's not the best system, either. I pre-ordered a PS4 and won't buy a XB One. Definitely too much restrictions and control there. That's just me, though. Personally, I can't believe people are standing up for Ford... They die so soon anyway. ;)

You really think that most people don't buy/sell used games or lend them to friends??? You have got to be kidding right? Just look at gamestop... As far as internet goes just remember there are people in rural areas and also there's a whole world outside of USA. I do agree that the kinect is creepy lol.

You really think that most people don't buy/sell used games or lend them to friends??? You have got to be kidding right? Just look at gamestop... As far as internet goes just remember there are people in rural areas and also there's a whole world outside of USA. I do agree that the kinect is creepy lol.

People are forgetting the biggest demographic isn't even us it's the kids and you're damn right they lend/trade/sell used games. They're not made of money even the well off ones are in gamestop all the time trading games in.

Seems like the PS4 would do everything my 360 does for me as a media box. I wouldn't use the hdmi input at all, just the network. Plus it saves me the Xbox live charge.

There's really only a few times a year I actually play games on the console, and at that point its almost always a head to head fighting game. Sony's always had pretty good games in that genre. I have a pc to game online with, so no subscription there.

As far as the Kinnect or the Eye..... it seems like it would turn out exactly how my old NES R.O.B. turned out.

On the other hand... I just built a new PC, the old can just be my media box and I'll just give up on consoles. Neither of them strikes me as a must buy like previous gen consoles did. If I did buy one, it would certainly be the Sony. Seems pretty clear cut.

The controller is the only gaming thing Xbox One beats PS4 in.

I could see a lot of people getting the Xbox One for the TV features and using it more as an all-in-one media center device, sort of like how a lot of people got the PS3 to use as a blu ray player.

I don't plan on getting either until they come out with an Indie marketplace that I can make games for.

Well, the question was asked why people are defending and still buying the Xbox One. That's why.

I'm in the camp that buys used games, has spotty internet at times and won't use the Kinect too often (haven't in over a year with the one I already own). I'm definitely going with the PS4 this round. I can't support the XBOne with the ridiculous restrictions that they are putting in it. No way. But, I can't speak for those others that are fine with it and all the roadblocks that come with buying it. I can see why they want one and how they can justify it. I can't, but that still doesn't make me right and better than they are.

Gamestop works great (when buying, I don't sell there because I think my games are worth more than 50 cents....). But, there are people that buy new games on release and rarely buy used (or not at all) - like my brother in law. He buys games on release day, brand new, and will be getting an Xbox One. He is the typical mainstream gamer that buys every CoD on release (preordered), buys the special edition because it has a new skin, buys all the DLC.... If you think those people don't exist or don't have high numbers, you are mistaken. There are tons of those gamers out there. There are also a huge amount of gamers that love the used game market.

Back