• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So, my girlfriend...

Yeah, I know, right? And we have homeowner's insurance for that! I wanted to buy it, pour ~10K into it, and resell it. I pay 575/month in rent currently, so the savings would be nice.

Depending on how handy you are, you can get away with being at or under budget. Just have a realistic budget that accounts for those unknowns you'll find when tearing the house apart.

Perfect example was when we were remodeling a relative's house. We had completed the rest of the house and were just about done with the kitchen. I had finished redoing all the messed up drywall and we had finished painting. It was the day before the cabinet guys were coming and my wife happened to check what was supposed to be a half hot, for the dishwasher/disposal. Turned out the whole socket was on the switch(there was no dishwasher, so no one ever knew). I had to tear out part of the wall from the socket to the switch and rewire it correctly. Luckily it was summertime and warm, so I was able to redo the drywall and have the mud dry by the end of the day to paint.

Not a budget buster at all, but still one of those things that you expect to work correctly.
 
pics?

of the damage, not the gf

:p

Nothing was broken, but I did lose a work unit. :(

If you really are "quite handy", then you probably know how much of a pipe dream that is. Guaranteed as soon as you start fixing one thing, another problem will pop up, then another, then another. Before you know it, you'll have blown through at least double your budget on addressing need-to-fix stuff before you can even think about any of the adding-value stuff.

Ever see that movie The Money Pit?
I am well aware of this concept, but I really wouldn't care if it took 10 grand, 20, 30, or 40, as long as it's my labor being put in to it and I am happy with the result. It's not about the money, or the neighborhood, or the effort; it's about learning and perfecting the skill of home maintenance and renovation.

Spoken like a true pessimist.

I am not that short on income, it's liquid cash that kills me. Either way, I won't be ready to buy until next spring-early summer, and the amount I can afford in down payment + closing costs would greatly increase. From a financial point of view, I would rather have a low mortgage payment and need to spend money on upgrades/repairs than buy such an expensive house that I grimace whenever that mortgage check goes out. Besides, I have simple needs: a roof over my head, ethernet in every room, and a basement for my work/lab area. Oh, and room for some rack-mounted boxen. That'd be swell!
 
That kind of house is where money is made. im a carpenter. i have made over 300k on 2 houses in 10 years. Of course the ex got all that
 
i'm an asshole

Some port hotswapping might clear up the issue.

when my wife and I have a fight, she'll threaten to take my softball bat to my equipment. That's usually about the time I buy her flowers and give her an impromptu foot rub.

I love being single.

You should tell her to make you sammich while you contemplate if she gets thrown out..

Thanks for the advice guys; I will keep her, for now.

I have simple needs: a roof over my head, ethernet in every room, and a basement for my work/lab area. Oh, and room for some rack-mounted boxen.

this thread delivered.
 
Definitely delivered here... I enjoyed reading this thread, but I feel for Noble. Tough situation, is the sex good?

Being single is nice...
 
There is the old saying, you want things done right, you want things done fast, you want things done cheap...you can have any two.

I think a similar principle is found in relationships; you want a partner that is hot, you want a partner that is nasty in the sack, you want a partner that is easy to get along with

you can have any two
 
There is the old saying, you want things done right, you want things done fast, you want things done cheap...you can have any two.

I think a similar principle is found in relationships; you want a partner that is hot, you want a partner that is nasty in the sack, you want a partner that is easy to get along with

you can have any two

I will take 1 and 3
 
ONLY $14,000! :eek: :eek:

I didn't even know you could buy a home for that amount, that's awesome and gives me hope!

In my area, a tiny, and I mean tiny, salt-box home for sale with only 1/3 acre goes for $220,000.

It's expensive as hell to live here. :p
 
Last edited:
You guys wont like the house prices in Sydney Australia then... :eek:

Min looking at 500,000 for a very tiny place.
 
Yeah that house is a steal. Here in bubble Vancouver that house would fetch $1,000,000. :rolleyes:
 
Definitely delivered here... I enjoyed reading this thread, but I feel for Noble. Tough situation, is the sex good?

Being single is nice...

What sex? She's one of those "no hotswapping" until marriage girls. At least there's not "technical" sex anyway...

There is the old saying, you want things done right, you want things done fast, you want things done cheap...you can have any two.

I think a similar principle is found in relationships; you want a partner that is hot, you want a partner that is nasty in the sack, you want a partner that is easy to get along with

you can have any two

I'll take 1 and 2. I can handle a hothead if she's, well, hot.

ONLY $14,000! :eek: :eek:

I didn't even know you could buy a home for that amount, that's awesome and gives me hope!

In my area, a tiny, and I mean tiny, salt-box home for sale with only 1/3 acre goes for $220,000.

It's expensive as hell to live here. :p

Don't give up my man, you can always move. Although I can't recommend Nebraska. :p
 
Oh, and to be on topic, something is wrong with my rig. It is running at 100% load (I can tell by the fans), but HFM reports 00% progress. Also, I can't log in, as it says "time expired".
 
You can't imagine how fun life can be when you are not dishing out a $1100 a month house payment.....
 
wow. I would not be tolerating that shit. my wife knows to stay away from the gear

Yeah same here....if my gear does make a noise though she knows to call/text/msg me right away and never touch anything....I think this one obviously has some daddy issues, or never had a daddy to teach her not to touch our manly things...

To quote Ron Burgundy:
"I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. That's what kind of man I am. You're just a woman with a small brain. With a brain a third the size of us. It's science."
 
wait...WHAT????!!

she treats your folding rig with contempt AND YOU ARE NOT EVEN GETTING LAID?

I don't even know what to say...good grief...
 
Wow, no makeup s3x!? I feel bad for you man.

You're not getting any in work units on your machine or in bed. :(
 
Wow I really got you guys riled up this time. By "technical" relations, I mean that the serial port does not directly engage the socket. Anyway, I am 22, she is 21...

As for my rig, I will diagnose it tonight. No WU progress = wasted KWH, so I'll look in to this later.
 
What if you deleted the work folder on your system (assuming Windows) and then let a new, fresh work unit start?

As for you both, you're still pretty young. Don't sweat it man, most of the people here are older than you are, are married, have kids, etc. etc.

If you both were in your 30's and you were saying that, then you might need to delete the work folder and let a new work unit download. ;)

But since you're not, just try what I stated above. :D
 
hey noble, i was in a relationship where my gf hated everything i liked (scifi, computers, tech, porn, hardforum, gaming,) and was very demanding and pushy etc. she was really fun outside of that, but really not a good match in the long run. i dated her for a year and a half before deciding it was a dead end and breaking it off. a few weeks later i met a new girl and we've been falling more and more in love every day for almost a year now. i wish i had done that a year earlier than i did, cuz now i feel like that whole year was wasted. put yourself out there and youll find someone. lifes too short to spend any of it with someone that doesnt make you very very happy. especially if shes trying to trick you into marriage before you even see if you enjoy the goods. :p

and i dont know shit about folding so no advice there. :D
 
Do you make enough money to buy this house without her help. if you do then great! if not never ever buy a house with a female partner with a uncertain future.
 
Do you make enough money to buy this house without her help. if you do then great! if not never ever buy a house with a female partner with a uncertain future.

+1 to this, he knows what he's talking about!
 
Dude, of course I got the cash, bro! I make more than her, and this would be "my" place, not involving her. Anyway, I am still thinking about this; I've never dumped anyone before, especially not after four freaking years.... :(
 
Learn to pick through the advice given if you are going to post something like this on a distributed computing forum. Anyone replying to this thread is not entirely right to start with due to the fact that they are in the DC section. You may want to listen to me for SR-2 overclocking advice or efficient folding machine recommendations. You definitely do NOT want to listen to me for advice on relationships. I would guess that most posting here are not much different.
 
Dude, of course I got the cash, bro! I make more than her, and this would be "my" place, not involving her. Anyway, I am still thinking about this; I've never dumped anyone before, especially not after four freaking years.... :(

I dumped mine after 6 1/2yrs.. As soon as your not level eye-to-eye anymore, it just gets worse from there.. First 3 were great, everything after that was compromise until I couldnt take it anymore.. I didnt realize until later it could have worked if we lived in our own places for a while until we matured and became more individually stable.. If ya wanna keep her, and not drive each other nuts, consider a break..

If that does work, hit it, get her to make you a sammich, boot.. Folding machines are safe..
 
Learn to pick through the advice given if you are going to post something like this on a distributed computing forum. Anyone replying to this thread is not entirely right to start with due to the fact that they are in the DC section. You may want to listen to me for SR-2 overclocking advice or efficient folding machine recommendations. You definitely do NOT want to listen to me for advice on relationships. I would guess that most posting here are not much different.

hahaha TRUTH! although i think i got here via "new posts" so im a perfectly same non-DCer. :D but yeah no one knows your situation like yuo do, so anything said here is simply advice so dont let it influence you more than your own feelings about the situation. anyway get the house!
 
Anything any of us say is something to think about no more no less. Only you know how you feel about her.
 
I was with an extremely crazy woman for 2 years who did a lot of what you described, on a regular basis. The split actually went really well.

Within weeks I met an awesome girl who actually met 90% of my dream wishlist in women. We fit together perfectly.
This new girlfriend respected my computers and wanted me to spend more money on them.

So I married her. She still loves the technology in the house and wants more. She sent me a picture of 128GB of ram and said "We should buy this."

Relationships aren't easy... but they shouldn't be the Trail of Tears. Up to you on what you feel like you should deal with. You're a man after all. There is certainly no shortage of good women who would like to be with an ambitious man who wants to own a home.


% The more you know.(TM)
 
Musky's advice is too true, the fact we are on this forum in general implies we are not normal. :p

To give a counterpoint to some of whats been mentioned above. My SO and I disagreed on many things, had some seriously trying times after first moving in together, and don't share many of the same hobbies. However we always worked through the issues and came out stronger for it. The fact we are so different allows us to complement the areas that the other is weaker in and I feel we bring a balance to our lives that wouldn't be there if I was with someone just like me. To each there own but if you don't feel that this counterbalance synergy is occuring AND you don't see eye to eye on things then there isn't a lot to like there.

Life is too short to be anything but happy, its the defining what makes you happy where most people get hung up.
 
You definitely do NOT want to listen to me for advice on relationships. I would guess that most posting here are not much different.

I respectfully disagree.

I could post my credentials, but I don't think that is necessary.

No one asked me for relationship advice. But I always have advice ;)

Besides, this is not genmay, where it is widely known that the advice is brutal and deranged.

.
.
 
I was with an extremely crazy woman for 2 years who did a lot of what you described, on a regular basis. The split actually went really well.

Within weeks I met an awesome girl who actually met 90% of my dream wishlist in women. We fit together perfectly.
This new girlfriend respected my computers and wanted me to spend more money on them.

So I married her. She still loves the technology in the house and wants more. She sent me a picture of 128GB of ram and said "We should buy this."

Relationships aren't easy... but they shouldn't be the Trail of Tears. Up to you on what you feel like you should deal with. You're a man after all. There is certainly no shortage of good women who would like to be with an ambitious man who wants to own a home.


% The more you know.(TM)

If we were to split it would NOT be easy... She would probably throw a fit and shoot me with a crossbow or something... I am her first boyfriend, so she doesn't know what it's like to be let go...

I respectfully disagree.

I could post my credentials, but I don't think that is necessary.

No one asked me for relationship advice. But I always have advice ;)

Besides, this is not genmay, where it is widely known that the advice is brutal and deranged.

.
.

Thanks for the advice everyone; I still don't know what I am going to do, but I will stand up to her and let her know that it's my way, or the highway.
 
Im late to this conversation, sorry, but my wife, love her to peices, but she has only threatened the equipment once. We had a "friendly" conversation after such threat. Now I only get threatened with bodily harm, which actually is a turn on for me (I love it when she gets angry, its kinda hot!). So its a win/win!
 
Sometimes, when my wife and I have a fight, she'll threaten to take my softball bat to my equipment. That's usually about the time I buy her flowers and give her an impromptu foot rub.

I hear she swings harder than you anyways.

Start here to change that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sh1EdtHlqI

Agreed, it has a lot of potential.. needs updating but has a lot of potential for only 14K.

110% agreed. Think of it as one gargantuan case mod.

Spoken like a true pessimist.

I know this guy. He's a lot funnier in real life. Quite a folder too when he's not cutting himself on fans LOL.

What sex? She's one of those "no hotswapping" until marriage girls. At least there's not "technical" sex anyway...



I'll take 1 and 2. I can handle a hothead if she's, well, hot.



Don't give up my man, you can always move. Although I can't recommend Nebraska. :p

My statement "try before you buy" comes into play here to some extent. She sounds a bit passive-aggressive in my books, and that will only get worse as time goes by. It's human nature to push others further and further based on prior experience. Today she's taking and inch, tomorrow she's taking a mile.

The fact that you've stayed with here this long with no play before a wedding says a lot of good things about you, NobleX13. Sex isn't everything, but it can be something wonderful if you're really into each other.

You know somethings up when she doesn't like noise. My wife is 75% of the noise in my house on a good day :D

I broke up with someone after 4 years (prior engagement) and it was the BEST DECISION I ever made. We had a house, sold it, split the $$$ and I have been far happier since. Six months later I met my wife who is the $h1t. She has her moments right now, but all-in-all, it turned out great. She understands my folding addiction, and appreciates why I do it.

"We need to talk" is always a good way to start that conversation.

Do you make enough money to buy this house without her help. if you do then great! if not never ever buy a house with a female partner with a uncertain future.

Agreed. Ever hear of 50% is hers?
 
Back
Top