So I'm actually changing my opinon on BF3: Don't buy it yet

I've been amazingly lucky thus far. No serious glitches here and having a hell of a good time.

Not a big fan of the server browser, though. I liked the way Bad Company 2 handled things. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

As much as I wanted this game, I wasn't about to give them my money on day one (or pre-order) after what happened to me with BC2. The game would not let me log in / play for nearly a month after launch. All EA/DICE had to say about it was that they knew there was a problem and were working on it. Instead, I'll wait at least a month until all these problems start to seem to go away. Not going to chance buying something I can't play for a month (aside from single player).

Last edited:
The server browser thing kind of cracks me up. Back in the 90s, early 2000s, most of the online games I played had external server browsers (or terribly shitty internal browsers, so I'd use external browsers.) They also loaded up or exited out in a matter of seconds. It was faster to hit tilde q tab enter and then launch the game again than it was to back out to the in-game browser.

Nowadays games take about 10x as long to load and there's a trillion annoying logo screens to get through, so I can see how an external browser would be a PITA.

I think the overwhelming majority of people playing this game are having no problems. I got kicked by an admin my first game, but I was a dumbass and just sitting there setting my keyboard and mouse bindings. When I got booted, I lost all my bindings and settings too of course.

Jumped into single player campaign and set it all up again there.

Have had no issues since.. game runs beautifully and while I do find an occasional server with lag and rubberbanding, most of the ones I'm finding are nice and smooth. I've been impressed with it so far.. even battlelog works great for me. Party up and join a server with my friends and puts us on the same squad from the jump. And it took me a minute, but I finally found where you can change squads and join any particular one you want.

Played mostly on the hard gaming servers. Never got kicked. Don't think anyone got kicked the whole time I was playing. Find a good server or two and go from there. Seems to be that way in any MP game.

the guys in my office tryign to play it on the 360 have been doing nothing but ranting all morning long about all this but after looking at various game sites this morning, apparently Dice has some drama going on with the xbox servers.

I knew there would be problems though. Glad I cancelled my pre-order. From everything I've read, SP isn't good enough to justify the high price tag right now.

I love how u guys in america etc all play and beta test the game for us folks in the UK hehe. Game still not out till friday for us in the UK so a few more days to iron out the bugs.Thanks guys! :)

I love how u guys in america etc all play and beta test the game for us folks in the UK hehe. Game still not out till friday for us in the UK so a few more days to iron out the bugs.Thanks guys! :)

LOL that you actually think they will have a patch for you by Friday...

I'd agree and say don't get this game till they have a patch out, its one of those "late beta" builds they released. For something that is slated for MP, I'd have expected a little more polish in the MP functionality.

You are NOT being kicked by the admin, even if it says so. It is a bug in Punkbuster.

I'd agree and say don't get this game till they have a patch out, its one of those "late beta" builds they released. For something that is slated for MP, I'd have expected a little more polish in the MP functionality.

I don't understand the "wait till there is a patch" mindset...its not like the game will be cheaper. Buy it and try it. Many people aren't having issues, and if you happen to be one of those then congrats. If not, then just wait for the patch if you can't stand it.

I believe this period of development for BF3 is called the paid Beta. If you are interested in Singleplayer, (I thought I'd never say this) wait for COD. If you are interested in MP, wait a week or more until the issues are fixed.

Really the server browser in BF3 is shit, why the fuck did DICE think it was such a good idea to use your internet browser to launch the game? WTF? I really hope one day that DICE will make an ingame server browser, even the one in BC2 was much better.
Why is it shit? Works fine for me.

The server browser thing kind of cracks me up. Back in the 90s, early 2000s, most of the online games I played had external server browsers (or terribly shitty internal browsers, so I'd use external browsers.) They also loaded up or exited out in a matter of seconds. It was faster to hit tilde q tab enter and then launch the game again than it was to back out to the in-game browser.

Nowadays games take about 10x as long to load and there's a trillion annoying logo screens to get through, so I can see how an external browser would be a PITA.
It doesn't work that way in BF3. The server browser launches the game and pre-loads the level while you wait. Once it's done, you click a button and it loads the map immediately. There is no load screens with logos or anything of that sort, you go straight into the multiplayer map.

It doesn't work that way in BF3. The server browser launches the game and pre-loads the level while you wait. Once it's done, you click a button and it loads the map immediately. There is no load screens with logos or anything of that sort, you go straight into the multiplayer map.

And while the map is loading, you can browse hardforum in another tab, rather than just staring at the same map loading screen a million times.

But it makes a decision weher is UK guys should buy it or not like RAGE.

You guys helped us BIG time with rage lol

"They are all over Bravo, need support!"

"Mortar fire incoming!"

"A-10 took out the tanks, GOGOGO!"

My multiplayer experience has been pristine. Each user will have a different expereince, depending on their personal perspectives and the state of their computer hardware.

The game is great and works flawlessly in most scenarios, if issues are had, try and resolve them on your end first.

That said, I've had less than 2% of my games disconnect ever and it was only at initial connection; never when in a game. At over 40 games played, I believe.

Why do we care that topic creator places this game in a "don't play" bin for a couple weeks? Did this REALLY deserve a new thread?

You are NOT being kicked by the admin, even if it says so. It is a bug in Punkbuster.

I don't understand the "wait till there is a patch" mindset...its not like the game will be cheaper. Buy it and try it. Many people aren't having issues, and if you happen to be one of those then congrats. If not, then just wait for the patch if you can't stand it.

Sure it will. Hopefully there will be a sale around xmas where I can pick it up for $30-40 and tons of bugs will be fixed. That's still a bit more than I'm usually willing to pay for a game, but I spent tons of time in BC2 which I got for $7 so I might make an exception for BF3. Buying games day 1 makes no sense to me, but thanks for finding bugs and improving my experience I guess.

Really the server browser in BF3 is shit, why the fuck did DICE think it was such a good idea to use your internet browser to launch the game? WTF? I really hope one day that DICE will make an ingame server browser, even the one in BC2 was much better.

The browser itself is great. Some people want to QQ because it's web-based. But fact is the game loads just about as fast as it would if the browser was in-game.

Sure it will. Hopefully there will be a sale around xmas where I can pick it up for $30-40 and tons of bugs will be fixed. That's still a bit more than I'm usually willing to pay for a game, but I spent tons of time in BC2 which I got for $7 so I might make an exception for BF3. Buying games day 1 makes no sense to me, but thanks for finding bugs and improving my experience I guess.

You could pre-order the game for $44 in some places.

You could pre-order the game for $44 in some places.

Yeah think I saw that. But it's still more than I'm willing to pay. Since I have so little time to play it make little sense to buy more games, when I still have other's sitting around. I prefer less than $30. Time to apply some patience..

bf3_pwp_boxart_360.jpg

Sounds like you bought the wrong version. The above is what you should have gotten.

Sure it will... Buying games day 1 makes no sense to me, but thanks for finding bugs and improving my experience I guess.

No problem!

I love this perspective as well. As all the people that share it give me a good number of points running around complaining about everyone else's "unlocks"; giving me a chance to farm them while they type. ;)

Yeah think I saw that. But it's still more than I'm willing to pay. Since I have so little time to play it make little sense to buy more games, when I still have other's sitting around. I prefer less than $30. Time to apply some patience..

No problem!

I love this perspective as well. As all the people that share it give me a good number of points running around complaining about everyone else's "unlocks"; giving me a chance to farm them while they type. ;)

Yeah, all I could think after reading his post was that in a month or two when all these "I'll hold off and let you test it" types break down and buy the game we will see a number of "THIS IS BS!" type posts where they complain about everyone but htem having guns and weapon upgrades unlocked. lol!

To each his own I guess. I haven't experienced any of the issues you mentioned in your OP.

Hold off if you want, price of the game isn't going to go down any time soon. (Using COD prices as my basis) May as well get the game installed, make friends and enjoy the game as you can.

Yeah, all I could think after reading his post was that in a month or two when all these "I'll hold off and let you test it" types break down and buy the game we will see a number of "THIS IS BS!" type posts where they complain about everyone but htem having guns and weapon upgrades unlocked. lol!

So you're saying weapon unlock systems is an evil scheme to get people to buy day 1?! Nooo!

I got BC2 10 months after release and didn't really have any problems with it though.. *shrug.

So you're saying weapon unlock systems is an evil scheme to get people to buy day 1?! Nooo!

I got BC2 10 months after release and didn't really have any problems with it though.. *shrug.

No, just that I expect many that complain and claim they will wait until it's $20 will keep complaining once they buy it because of the items others have unlocked, or that a year after release that servers aren't as loaded as they were on day one or some other such "issue."

Are their problems with BF3? Sure, just as with most games, but those that are complaining the loudest seem to be those who don't even have the game, maybe because most of those that do are off enjoying it (well except those of us stuck at work or school.)

I rarely buy any game when it is brand new for a few reasons. One is that almost every game is somewhat buggy these days, so after time, a lot of patches really help. Also, I am no way paying $60 for BF3.... when I can get it for $40, I'll think about it.

I am glad that I am old and boring and don't have to have the latest and greatest. The only problem is... when you come late to the party, you usually get owned in multi-player games. You are the new kid on the block and the veterans dog you. But, it doesn't bother me... they are only games after all.

Anyway, I am with you.... I'll wait for this one.

The browser itself is great. Some people want to QQ because it's web-based. But fact is the game loads just about as fast as it would if the browser was in-game.

My problem is that you have to actually spawn in a game before you can change key bindings, video settings, and audio settings.

Very few problems here. Some rubber banding last night, so I quit and found another server that ran fine. Solved. Best game I've played since....I dunno, BF1942 ;) My only real problem is that I'm not very good at the moment. I suck with the Jets, but fly the copters very well. I often hesitate when seeing a player because I'm thinking "is he enemy or not" and by the time I figure it out, I'm dead.

And an update:

The "kicked from server" thing is apparently rampant, all kinds of people are having the problem from searching online. The offered fix doesn't work, at least for me. More or less it seems to be luck. Some servers work for some people, others don't. Some people have few problems, some have many. Until PB sorts the mess out, it is a real problem.

I'm wondering if this is related to previous PB installs?

I did a complete format and reinstall of my OS drive (which also has my games and other installed programs) right before BF3 launched. I have yet to be kicked at all.

I'm wondering if this is related to previous PB installs?

I did a complete format and reinstall of my OS drive (which also has my games and other installed programs) right before BF3 launched. I have yet to be kicked at all.

Did you buy a physical copy or digital? Im curious because I dont have any problems and I got the retail copy.

I bought it off D2D, preloaded it from there (you just download a 13.5gb installer) and installed using the files I got from there. Installed Origin, let it update. Activated the game with the code on Origin, cancelled the download, and than used the installer. I launch the game using the a shortcut to BF3.exe (pinned to star menu). Using latest Firefox.

Updated my bios, then I did a format (quick format) the night before (yes for BF3 lol...) and reinstalled windows. Fully updated Win 7 along with the realtek nic drivers from windows update. Manually updated other drivers including newest Geforce drivers (285.62). Ran dxwebsetup.

No other PB games were installed. Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot (without resident shield were installed). Steam was installed along with 2 games so far. MSI afterburner installed and using overlays.

No kicks or issues playing at all, well aside from 64 player server lag.

System is 2500k (stock), MSI p67a-gd65 b3, 2x4gb ddr1600(at 1333), gtx 560ti (stock), audigy 4se sound card running win 7 64 bit.

Hopefully enough relevant info to possibly shed some light on this issue.

Did you buy a physical copy or digital? Im curious because I dont have any problems and I got the retail copy.

Digital in my case. I bought it from Amazon, but I never loaded it from there, just fed the key to Origin. Figure since it uses that anyhow, why not?

I'm trying a reinstall, see if that does anything, and I also uninstalled PB, which was already on my system from other games.

The strange thing is there's no rhyme or reason I can see. I joined a server with a friend and it kicked me, but not him. Later another server kicked him but not me (and he's got a pretty clean system, just built it last week).

Maybe the PB uninstall left some things behind?

I'm wondering if another possibility might be related to when you activated the game? I didn't activate my copy until the afternoon of the 25th (well after release date). Are the people getting kicked more often those that did the activation workaround?

Digital in my case. I bought it from Amazon, but I never loaded it from there, just fed the key to Origin. Figure since it uses that anyhow, why not?

I'm trying a reinstall, see if that does anything, and I also uninstalled PB, which was already on my system from other games.

The strange thing is there's no rhyme or reason I can see. I joined a server with a friend and it kicked me, but not him. Later another server kicked him but not me (and he's got a pretty clean system, just built it last week).

Make sure PB is checked when you reinstall BF3.
Check to make sure the ports are open/allowed.
Using Teamspeak3 with overlay?
Using any sort of overlay program?

Try and find the differences in your system and your friend. Really not sure wtf is going on with your stuff. Weird. Gl trying to fix it.

Who knows. It isn't a port issue, I'm on a static (and thus public) IP on this computer. No overlays other than Origin. I found a server that worked for me after reinstall, he was getting kicked. Then Battlelog went down (and is down now) so that's it for tonight.

Back