So I lost my mind at Best Buy

Zerv

Weaksauce
So I got to best buy at about 11 to wait in line. was somewhere in the 20's so I knew I was all set to get the 360 premium. Well I live in Maine and last night it started raining at about 12:30 so it's now like 40 degrees and raining... news crew shows up at like 5:00 and so does the best buy general manager a little after. so he opens the door to the little room before the actual store to let people in but he doesn't anounce it and the line gets screwed up. Still no problem for me cause I'm still in the 20's around the guys I was in line with before but the people towards the end are about to go on a killing spree not knowing if someone cut and accusing people of cutting (cause the news crew people went up to the front of the store to talk to them). so sit in best buy till 8:00 the general manager doesn't have any idea about tickets and says there are no tickets at 8:00 another manager there hands them out. The GM hands out pamphlets saying you need them to purchase the xbox while the other manager is handing out the tickets behind him. then they finally start selling the machines at 9:00 and have one line set up to one register with the cashier taking her time. I wound up towards the end of the final line and it took me a little over an hour to get to the cashier.

Probably wouldn't have been that bad had I not gotten drenched by 4 1/2 hours of rain in 40 degree temps but I felt that last line was a insult and was about losing it at the end since I woke up the previouse day at 8:30am with only 4 hours of sleep. I'm too tired to play it but now alas I do have an xbox 360.. time for more sleep.

How was everyone else's experience?

I was expecting some screaming, yelling, violence caught by the news crew when you said you 'lost it'. Sounds like you took it fairly well considering the circumstances.

Whereabouts in Maine do you live? I'm from "Vacationland" too, just a little curious.

yeah I don't know what I would've done if my best buy card was declined... I think I would have literally lost it. I was already getting pretty shaky in that last line. Nah over all it went pretty well just a combination of all the circumstances it was tough to last through. some people had tents. That was really the best idea. Definitely would be hard to ever part with this thing now after all I went through. The people next to me in line were pretty cool so that was probably the part that kept me sane. I was drenched by the end of the night. lawn chairs were soaked and useless jacket was soaked through to my second jacket...

After the line got messed up though I guess people that were towards the end waiting in the entrance to best buy were getting close to hostile though.

I just can't wait to catch up on sleep.

I'm curiouse to hear more stories on peoples camp outs.

ManCannon said:
Whereabouts in Maine do you live? I'm from "Vacationland" too, just a little curious.

I'm in Portland. lived in standish for a while. Been in Maine 7 years or so, I'm an air force brat.

I live in Dixmont, which would be around 30 minutes away from Bangor. Been here all 19 years of my existence :cool: .

your lucky
i work at best buy

the first 10 people were on line sunday afternoon at 1.. generators, tents, the whole bit. Crazy

And that, boys and girls, is exactly what MS was after.

And the best part? They didn't spend a dime on this advertising.

Congrads on the xbox dude. :)

You know to tell you the truth I'm not even that into consoles I just kind of wanted the experience I just didn't expect it to be so bad. Also I used to work at best buy like 4 years ago so I had a good idea how things were going to happen there. I didn't work when they released the PS2 but I worked durring that time and they were like gold when they got them in.

I think I'll enjoy this one more than any console just cause of the pain it was for me to get it. I know there's a good chance that they'll be all over the place soon but what ever. I couldn't even sell it for a grand after what I had to go through to get it.

Next time you post about "losing it" please make sure you at least yelled at someone. :p

Ended up at a Wal-Mart in Hicksville that had 17 premium and 17 cores. We were the 17th, 18, 19th, and 20th people there, and it was kind of a crowd at about 11:30PM. There was this guy saying we were going on the honor system and we made our own list. The reason for this being the Wal-Mart was not 24/7 because of Hurricane Katrina. The cops get called because we're crowding the front and they tell us to wait in our cars. Then 4 guys sneak into a bathroom from the side entrance and get caught, at which point the security guard tells us we all have to leave, so we all leave to a nearby parking lot for Pay-Less Shoes.

So we're chilling over there (literally) and we finalize the list that has 32 people on it, the guy who took it upon himself (my friends and I called him "The Diplomat") to bring the list to the store. He never comes back so we all drive back over there at about 4:00AM to wait the last hour. The security guard comes out and says they're gonna use the names on the list and create a raffle, allowing 10 people in at a time. So the people who've been there since 2AM are pretty much guaranteed SOMETHING. 4:30AM rolls around and tons of new people start showing up and crowding the door. Security guard is inside looking at us and laughing (btw he sped through crowds of people about 3 times in his security car for no reason at all). Finally at 5AM some lady comes to the front and opens the door, there's like tons of people crammed up against it, but they all back off a little bit. The lady then says "Go to electronics."

A stampede of people jam in with lightspeed momentum and some girl gets pushed on the ground, people start taking off, violently pushing each other. Someone lost a shoe. Me and 2 of my friends hang back and our one friend goes into the herd. He said people were running down aisles raking their arms on shelves knocking everything out. He said some guy pulled over a rack of bottled waters into the aisle and he and others had to hurdle it. I took off in a light jog.

By the time we arrived at electronics, the quickest people were already receiving their premium Xbox's. The people who got there at around 4:45AM. The Diplomat was extremely upset and asked why they'd risk peoples' safety by doing that, the managers and security guard were just laughing and saying "It's just a video game!" Then some lady with a BABY, who has been out there in the freezing cold all night WITH A BABY waltzes up to the front of the line with her husband and they GET TWO PREMIUMS. It was crazy, my friend got his Xbox though, even though it's just a core, but it was a crazy time.

One of my friends got his Premium at Sam's Club a few hours later, and I think I'll have one for me through connections by the end of next week. I really do feel betrayed that they'd lie and say they would raffle, then just let people stampede into the store like that. I'm glad people trashed the place at least :cool:

matt fury said:
Next time you post about "losing it" please make sure you at least yelled at someone. :p

I definitely felt like I walked away from there feeling a lot more disturbed than usual. haha my girlfriend looked a little worried about me when she saw me in when I got home.

Your lucky, at my BestBuy campout it was also 40 degrees and raining (all night long) in the morning when the manager came they demanded everyone get in a single file line (instead of hunching under cover). They never let people in the store to get out of the rain even after we had our tickets. Someone just kept coming out demanding a single file line. In the end from the time they opened the store to the time I got out of the rain was over an hour...and I was just 24 in line, god knows what happened to the people who were 60!

So your store manager was nice enough to let you into the middle part to get out of the rain / cold. My store manager took customers in the store one by one, wouldn't let the others out of the rain....in fact demanded that they stand IN the rain and not under the one tent!!!

I must be getting old, for the simple fact that this seems so pointless to me....not flaming you, to each his own, but risking pneumonia for an 360? That really doesn't have any sweet games yet? I think i'll just wait a few weeks...it's not like I haven't already been able to wait this long.

Anyways, just wondering...get some sleep and then have some fun.

Am I the only one who thinks that standing in line for a console is rediculous?

I mean seriously, from reading some of the experiences in this thread that people have had it to me does not seem worth it. People pushing each other over? Knocking bottled water downa dn knocking stuff off the shelves?

I mean c'mon people. It's a damn console. It's not the end of the world if you don't get one on release date. I'm sure Microsuck has plans to produce them like Twinkies and I'm sure there will be plenty to go around to the people of this country. It just seems a tad rediculous to me to stand in the pouring rain in the middle of the night waiting for a console of any sort.

Hell, it's stupid to stand in line for anything really, especially Furby's and Tikle Me Elmos.

I mean sure, their may not be a huge supply of them for x-mas but I can almost bet that after x-mas there will be plenty of them.

I've never stood in line to get some thing that I wanted "so bad I felt like I was going to die without it".

At any rate. I'm glad that you and the others that posted in this thread about their horrible experiences got one; I hope you enjoy it. But ti hardly seems worth it to me at least.

Moose777 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that standing in line for a console is rediculous?

I mean seriously, from reading some of the experiences in this thread that people have had it to me does not seem worth it. People pushing each other over? Knocking bottled water downa dn knocking stuff off the shelves?

I mean c'mon people. It's a damn console. It's not the end of the world if you don't get one on release date. I'm sure Microsuck has plans to produce them like Twinkies and I'm sure there will be plenty to go around to the people of this country. It just seems a tad rediculous to me to stand in the pouring rain in the middle of the night waiting for a console of any sort.

Hell, it's stupid to stand in line for anything really, especially Furby's and Tikle Me Elmos.

I mean sure, their may not be a huge supply of them for x-mas but I can almost bet that after x-mas there will be plenty of them.

I've never stood in line to get some thing that I wanted "so bad I felt like I was going to die without it".

For parents the look on your kids face Christmas morning when they get that cool toy they really wanted is priceless, and completely justifies any actions they went to in getting it.

As for camping out, while it was rainy and cold, it was still kind of fun. I was there with a friend, and everyone else camping out was fun too. You meet some new people, get to pretty much just hang out and have a good time. I made away with 2 Xbox360's (my friend got the other for me). The second one managed to pay for itself, my other xbox + game, and pay my friend for sitting out in the cold all night. I say it was worth it.

Yeah, no. Sorry. Fist fighting in Toys 'R' Us for a Tickle Me Elmo is not worth a broken nose just to see teh look on your child's face when he/she opens it up on X-mas morning. It also doesn't justify knocking store displays or items off the shelf to block people behind you. Thin abou tloss prevention on how much shit was probably broken just so you could have an Xbox360. Then a few months down the road you'll bitch when the prices in that particular BB are raised for no apparent reason.

Come to think of it. I did wait in line once. That was to see the first showing of Star Wars Episode III. While the movie was awesome the experience of camping out in line for even an hour sucked my balls. It was cold, I had to watch out for the dorks dressed up as Storm Troopers and teh worst was when I got blindsided by a freak and his lightsaber.

I do have to say that the one manager who forced everyone into a single file line in the pouring raind and only letting a few people into the store at a time showed great managorial (sp?) skills. Hence the reason why hes a manager. He knew how to keep order. He understood that if he let people into the foyer of the store to get them out of the rain and the cold there would be destruction and mayhem in his store. I personally feel that if you are stupid enough to camp out for anything that you deserve to suffer the consequences of the weather. I mean after all, you said the experience was worth having that item in your hand.

On a side note, please I'm not trying to argue with you nor cause a flame war and I am glad that you got one. I just think it's pointless to rush the store and ruin displays just to get one.

I mean hell, my neice wants that new plush Barbie Doll for X-mas so I made it a point to get one for her. But I wasn't about to stand in any line and beat the crap out of someone to get one. To me it's just not worth it. I did however manage to get her one after going to two different stores that were sold out. But I didn't throw a fit when someone took one off the shelf as I was reaching for one. I just blew it off.

Moose777 said:
I do have to say that the one manager who forced everyone into a single file line in the pouring raind and only letting a few people into the store at a time showed great managorial (sp?) skills. Hence the reason why hes a manager. He knew how to keep order. He understood that if he let people into the foyer of the store to get them out of the rain and the cold there would be destruction and mayhem in his store. I personally feel that if you are stupid enough to camp out for anything that you deserve to suffer the consequences of the weather. I mean after all, you said the experience was worth having that item in your hand.

Actually the manager wanted everyone in a single file line for well....I dont know why they had already passed out the numbered tickets. As for letting people in 1 by 1, it was because they had a sales rep take you around and pressure you into buying additional peripherals or one of their extravagant bundles. It was more out of greed then out of not wanting the store trashed. There were plenty of peripherals and games...I know because when I went back to the store a few hours later to exchange my game they still had over 50% of what they had out when I was in the store. So there was no reason for anyone to trample anyone else.

Erasmus354 said:
Actually the manager wanted everyone in a single file line for well....I dont know why they had already passed out the numbered tickets. As for letting people in 1 by 1, it was because they had a sales rep take you around and pressure you into buying additional peripherals or one of their extravagant bundles. It was more out of greed then out of not wanting the store trashed. There were plenty of peripherals and games...I know because when I went back to the store a few hours later to exchange my game they still had over 50% of what they had out when I was in the store. So there was no reason for anyone to trample anyone else.
I'm sure boosting his sales were part of it but it was more or less to keep order. I'm sure he has been a manger for quite some time and has seen a lot of horrendous things on release dates of all sorts.

They forced everyone who was seeing SW Episode III into a single file line as well. And it was to keep order inside the movie thater, they were only letting 20 people into the theater at a time as well.

I can almost guarantee it was for keeping a calm envioroment inside the store. Boosting his sales was a secondary objective. I mean the store is there to make money.

And I agree, there was absolutely no reason to trample anyone at the Wal-Mart.

I think it is hilarious all the people who camped out. I didn't camp out and still got my Xbox 360 on launch day at a store without a hook-up. If you just think of places to go you can get things. I got there about 7:45 am and had my 360 at 9:45 am. YOu guys that camped out are nuts.

Joe

IndyJoe said:
I think it is hilarious all the people who camped out. I didn't camp out and still got my Xbox 360 on launch day at a store without a hook-up. If you just think of places to go you can get things. I got there about 7:45 am and had my 360 at 9:45 am. YOu guys that camped out are nuts.

Joe

Sometimes you can do that in certain places, not where I live though, everywhere was either sold out from preorders, or you have to camp out for it like I did.

I live in Brooklyn,NY . People were in tents at Best Buy at 2pm day before. YOu just have to think outside the box man.

To the person that didn't think it was worth waiting in line. Guess what, The Xbox 360 has no value to you, so why would you wait? You wouldn't. That's cool, I respect that. At the same time, a lot of people do place value in having one, and, they wait. There has to be some understanding there and with it, respect. I am puzzled really at outsiders, people that wouldn't wait in line to come onto these threads and make a huge effort to post a page full of reasons why they wouldn't do it to the people that love consoles. lol. Kinda pointless really when, a quick, "I wouldn't do it" would work a whole lot better.

I've noticed that when people post to say they wouldn't do it, that they have to go in deep to explain why and all this and that. I always get the feeling they are trying to somehow, CHANGE people from waiting in line, or selling an extra system, or ... whatever. I know I am not the only one.

Anyways, strange stuff.

Sorry to hear about the pushing and fighting, but it does happen.

I remember when the PS2 came out, they handed out those little red tickets with numbers on them to about 500 - 600 people. It was totally nuts. Soon, people figured out the people handing out tickets would not remember everyone, so people, myself and my friends included made SEVERAL trips back to get tickets to increase our chances. Didn't pay off but was worth the effort. They gave about 36 away that night, all those years ago. I also remember about 3 fights breaking out along with some trash talking. Looking back, that was a lot of fun.

This thread did not deliver.

I was expecting some horror story, in which punches were thrown, colorful language was used, and the cops were called in the quell the uprising.

:p

Draax said:
This thread did not deliver.

I was expecting some horror story, in which punches were thrown, colorful language was used, and the cops were called in the quell the uprising.

:p

Then come back after Thursday and I'll tell you about my extended family's Thanksgiving dinner.

On topic: I get the feeling there's about to be a ton of 360s in stock before Christmas. Anyone else get the same idea that this shortage/campout was just good publicity for MS?

Well, since this thread didn't have much of what people wanted, I'd like to share a small story with you. This is probably happening at a lot of places but here goes:

I was waiting at a Wal-Mart for my xbox and at about 10pm some little 85lb crack addict lookin chick came up and asked for a ticket to get the premium system. The guy in line handing out tickets said you can get one but you have to settle for the core system. She immediately screamed four letter words for a few minutes then said "I'll show somebody my boobs for their ticket". After she said that the line just sat there dead silent, and she walked away to tell people who worked at Wal-Mart that we were handing out or own tickets to make sure we know what number we are in line. Long story short, she stayed till about 3am then gave up. Thank God.

Small comedy for a boring wednesday.

Back