So how Serious is Serious Sam 3???

You know, after all of the bitching about DNF here I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of interest in this game. It really is everything that DNF should have been and more. I'm shocked with how good this game is.

I'm interested but I think part of what you're seeing here is honest gaming overload for a number of folks. Look at this month. ;)

I'm broke. When I am less broke...probably after Christmas, Serious Sam 3 is first-priority. Even ahead of BF3!

So how does the game look in action and how is it running for you guys? Looking at screenshots it doesn't look like it would be a demanding game but the recommended requirements is 4GB of ram a quad core and a gtx480.

Game looks amazing(for a DX9 engine from a very small developer), and when you dial up all the graphical options(a shit-ton of them) it can rape your system. Once you dial it in properly, you can get great performance without really sacrificing image quality much.

Finally got the chance to play it and while it's solid, I'm not enjoying it as much as the 1st/2nd Encounters so far. Mind you, I've only played through the first two levels so far, but so far, I really don't like the cramped levels thus far. I wanna see more open levels, and I'm assuming those will come later in the game? While I like the added sprint feature, I really hate the newly added reload feature. Reloading guns have no place in a Serious Sam game in my opinion and sort of breaks up the flow of the craziness and mayhem that this series is known for. Graphically, the game looks very good, but performance wise, I get better frame rates in Battlefield than this. Granted, crossfire appears to be broken, but still, I was hoping for better frame rates than what I'm seeing thus far. I'll continue to play this game because I'm a big fan of the series, but so far, I prefer the 1st/2nd Encounters much more than this.

Uhhhh.... isn't that the point?

you missed the most important part of my post:

I don't understand the interest.

I can deal with shooting. But when you have infinite lives, no real death penalties (like sending you back a checkpoint or a save, or losing some sort of experience of guns or lives or something) and no score system, there seems to be no real challenge. I just dont understand it. Could somebody please explain the attraction?

I can deal with shooting. But when you have infinite lives, no real death penalties (like sending you back a checkpoint or a save, or losing some sort of experience of guns or lives or something) and no score system, there seems to be no real challenge. I just dont understand it. Could somebody please explain the attraction?

A. There is a score system. It's not the focus of the game, but it's there.

B. The appeal is that once you get into the game and you have dozens upon dozens of enemies coming upon you shooting rocket and screaming, you tend to end up with an adrenaline buzz. SS was never meant to be a work of art, just a means to an end.

Last edited:

Put it on Serious and try to get past a single level.

All that I know is that I got a real sense of achievement the first time that I ran through Metropolis in TFE without having to reload a save.

Serious Sam is...

just FUN! and it WORKS! and you can TINKER with more graphics settings than you know what to do with.

3 of the most rare things in the PC gaming world.

If you do not enjoy this game :confused: please do not troll this thread.

It's also got a modding mode built right into the game, so we'll be seeing lots of custom levels very soon. For ~$30 you're going to have a hard time beating SS3 on value if you enjoy the gameplay.

It's also got a modding mode built right into the game, so we'll be seeing lots of custom levels very soon. For ~$30 you're going to have a hard time beating SS3 on value if you enjoy the gameplay.

Was the $30 price tag a pre-order only deal? I'm seeing 39.99 on Steam right now.

Working my way through the other two HD's before I jump on this no hurry.

Seems I'm in the same boat as thefrick. Is anyone else seeing Crossfire issues? Great game though!

the fun of the first and second encounters was just the mindlessness of it but at the same time, you had to think and act quickly to survive. It was all about weapon usage and going back and forth between them to deal with the enemy types the most effective way possible without getting bogged down.

There is just something highly enjoyable about the simplicity of it. No bullshit to deal with just fast action. Something you can sit down for 10 minutes and play and come back later.

the fun of the first and second encounters was just the mindlessness of it but at the same time, you had to think and act quickly to survive. It was all about weapon usage and going back and forth between them to deal with the enemy types the most effective way possible without getting bogged down.

There is just something highly enjoyable about the simplicity of it. No bullshit to deal with just fast action. Something you can sit down for 10 minutes and play and come back later.

It's also about trying to survive the massive onslaught of enemies that the game throws at your way. There is no other current modern game that throws as many enemies all at once than this series.

There IS a lives system FYI. There are several different modes. In coop there is a mode where there are a limited number of lives per level shared by the entire team, another mode where it's 3 lives per person, and another classic mode IIRC that is unlimited lives.

Press tilde and enter this: plr_fFOVOverride = #

# = fov you want

Its easier to simply type "fov" then press TAB, then type " = #"

SS3 is fun, but there is just something ever so slightly off about the game, I can't put my finger on it. It just doesn't capture my attention as completely as the originals did. Maybe it needs more mobs & tougher bosses. And no reloading...

Its easier to simply type "fov" then press TAB, then type " = #"

SS3 is fun, but there is just something ever so slightly off about the game, I can't put my finger on it. It just doesn't capture my attention as completely as the originals did. Maybe it needs more mobs & tougher bosses. And no reloading...

I agree it's just not as hard (so far) as the originals. I'm at the big field w/the ship boss right now and it could be the first tough battle I've been in so far, but I don't have time to fight it right now, so we'll see.

I agree it's just not as hard (so far) as the originals. I'm at the big field w/the ship boss right now and it could be the first tough battle I've been in so far, but I don't have time to fight it right now, so we'll see.
It gets harder later on. Just keep at it. It's a longer game than TFE, so it takes more time to ramp up.

It gets harder later on. Just keep at it. It's a longer game than TFE, so it takes more time to ramp up.

That's good to hear, as the first two levels are too easy. I'm playing on hard right now and will play some more tonight. :)

crossfire working for me. running 11.11 with cap 1. rig in sig.

fun game so far and runs great in eyefinity

SS3gpu_usage.jpg

and the mouse acceleration enabled by default. :p

mouse acceleration was greyed out for me. does this mean its on, or not available? i have it turned off in logitech setpoint

I just finished a level with over 1000 enemies. Easily on par with anything from TFE.

I just finished a level with over 1000 enemies. Easily on par with anything from TFE.

This game is nuts. It really is what I was hoping for. I think that its comparable to TFE. I was really happy to see that there aren't any of those gimmicky moonbounce or gravity levels from TSE, just hardcore action.

I also did a quick benchmark with my video card. The first result is at stock speeds and the second is with my GTX570 at 880mhz. Even with an overclocked 2500k gpu usage stays pinned at 99%.

2011-11-23 20:42:37 - Sam3
Frames: 7904 - Time: 123740ms - Avg: 63.876 - Min: 46 - Max: 81

2011-11-23 20:45:15 - Sam3
Frames: 10312 - Time: 138825ms - Avg: 74.281 - Min: 57 - Max: 92

I am on Broken Wings right now and at least so far, it seems more like a regular shooter that a SS game. Linear maps with small encounters in each room.

So far two things I don't like
1. Shotgun reload is WAY to slow
2. Pistol doesn't keep shootng as long as you hold the button down.

#2 I really don't like, in TFE, you could hold the mouse button down and shoot until he had to reload which made it really easy when the pistol was your only weapon or last resort. having to click a million times sorta sucks.

Hearing the bomb guys scream for the first time made me smile...love that shit

obviously you started gaming in the mid 2000's.. because this is exactly how shooter games were back in the 90's and prior. there was no reward system. it was pure and simple mindless shooting and killing, infinite lives, respawns, ammo, and guns.. that style of play didn't change until counterstrike came out which started the whole buy a weapon/reward system craze we have now.

I am on Broken Wings right now and at least so far, it seems more like a regular shooter that a SS game. Linear maps with small encounters in each room.

So far two things I don't like
1. Shotgun reload is WAY to slow
2. Pistol doesn't keep shootng as long as you hold the button down.

#2 I really don't like, in TFE, you could hold the mouse button down and shoot until he had to reload which made it really easy when the pistol was your only weapon or last resort. having to click a million times sorta sucks.

Hearing the bomb guys scream for the first time made me smile...love that shit

#2.. um yeah well back during TFE coding and technology wasn't really as complex as it is now. back then the code was simple... press a button and shit happens.. having to click a mouse 5-10 times to fire a pistol i mean seriously you are complaining about this?

how do we benchmark this? does it have a builtin benchmark tool?

run "fraps" benchmark. you can set it to run for a specific amount of time when you hit the trigger or set it to 0 and it will run from the point you hit the hotkey til you hit it again to end the benchmark. it will record your frame rate and put it in a text file. thats how we benchmark games.

Last edited:
Back