Smallest ATX Chassis

TheOne&OnlyZeke

100% Irish
Looking to rebuild into a smaller chassis.
Thought I was going to build a MiniATX or ITX system, but can't afford it

So want to rebuild into a smaller ATX chassis....has to be one that'll take an Asus 1080 GTX Strix though.
Any thoughts?

edit: I've been on this search in the past before and the challenge I found was that full ATX mobo cases were all disappointingly big. I was trying to find one that would support at least one full height full length card, a regular PSU, and full ATX motherboard with maybe one or two 3.5 inch drives. With the regular PSU that meant something in the 2U server case size so I looked at Habey, Norco and some industrial cases all with the PSU relocated toward the front of the case. I think Plink had something closest I would've considered but ultimately their overall sizes when you lay it out with a ruler they're just.... big!

The smallest ATX case I've used is the NZXT S340, which is probably not that small at all in the grand scheme of things. That machine has a pair of MSI 960 GTXs in it, which aren't terribly huge but are certainly not tiny cards.

Build it yourself. Grab an el cheapo 15$ atx case from a local shop and hack it apart for the mobo tray and any cages you want. Construct the rest of the chassis out of whatever you are comfortable working with.

I just upgraded from a 2600K in a full size Lian Li to a 6500 in a CM Elite 130. Still used the same AIO Cooler, VC, optical and PS. Had I grabbed a used 68z ITX MB, I'd have been able to install every other original part. And the VC is a reference 7970.

Whatever the cheapest case at microcenter is, get that one.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. Thermaltake V3 Black. If I were replacing my motherboard with MiniATX I'd try and score an NFC Systems, S4 case.

I looked into this recently before throwing my hands up and deciding to just go with mATX.

One of the smaller full ATX cases was the NZXT S340 as someone else mentioned. That seemed to have somewhat of a consensus as the 'best' small ATX case, though I haven't used it and can't say myself. I also had the CM Elite 360 listed as a possibility for full ATX, but... again... I decided to just go with mATX so I haven't done a lot of reading since my initial foray. Here was my thread, if it helps at all.

Smallest ATX case you're going to find, in volume, is probably a 1U rackmount case with a 90 degree riser for the PCI Ex 16x slot.

Tower boxes? Probably Lian Li cases.

LIAN LI PC-V700B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case-Newegg.com

Something still available?

Maybe an Antec VSK 3000...

92979_6.jpg

Antec NEW SOLUTION SERIES VSK-4000 Black SGCC steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Have a Corsair Obsidian 650D at the moment. Just wanted smaller then that.
I was hoping the Bitfenix Comrade would do it...but I don't think it will

Having the same dilemma. One of my issues is that I need at least one external 5.25" drive bay, and a lot of the newer compact designs are omitting them to create more interior space. Another issue is it seems to be that the smaller cases supporting the ATX form factor are all cheap and lower quality than full towers. I've been eyeing a Corsair Air 540, which really isn't that much smaller, but maybe easier to handle. But I think I've resolved to just get the newer revision of the Phantom case I have and go for a smaller build from the start next time around, mATX or ITX.

I'm nearly thinking now of getting an mATX board that'll take my existing components and then get a smaller chassis that way.
Its the cheapest solution I think

I'm in a Fractal Node 304 (MiniITX) right now and had to pull the PSU bracket out of the case to get my STRIX 1080 in it.
Planning on going ATX again but want a not so giant, bayless, simple case.
Anyone use the NZXT H440? Looking at that case for ATX now and that seems to be the smallest, simplest, airy, drive-bayless case to me.

I'm in a Fractal Node 304 (MiniITX) right now and had to pull the PSU bracket out of the case to get my STRIX 1080 in it.
Anyone use the NZXT H440? Looking at that case for ATX now and that seems to be the smallest, simplest, airy, drive-bayless case to me.

I had the node 304 as well and while it's a nice looking case, I found the internal design to be abysmal, at best.

This case layout is the only one I've found to consistently work for larger cards:

DIYPC HTPC-Cube-BK Black USB3.0 Aluminum/Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer case, can support 120mm Radiator, Standard Size ATX PSU-Newegg.com

I ended up duplicating this layout inside my EVGA Hadron Air... was able to fit a modular Seasonic G550 PSU and a 10.6" video card inside it.

In both cases, the psu fan faced the CPU/ram/motherboard and cable slack was able to between the front of the case and behind the PSU leaving the video card free to extend from end to end within the case.

Even easier with a SFX PSU.

[H] Review, if interested. This would be the case I would get if I didn't need an external 5.25" bay. I'm a big fan of NZXT's aesthetic and internal work area.

I had the node 304 as well and while it's a nice looking case, I found the internal design to be abysmal, at best.

This case layout is the only one I've found to consistently work for larger cards:

DIYPC HTPC-Cube-BK Black USB3.0 Aluminum/Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer case, can support 120mm Radiator, Standard Size ATX PSU-Newegg.com

I ended up duplicating this layout inside my EVGA Hadron Air... was able to fit a modular Seasonic G550 PSU and a 10.6" video card inside it.

In both cases, the psu fan faced the CPU/ram/motherboard and cable slack was able to between the front of the case and behind the PSU leaving the video card free to extend from end to end within the case.

Even easier with a SFX PSU.

I have that case, it sux for a full sized VC unless you mod the top for additional air flow. Basically the air just gets trapped up there with no place to go. It will work with a reference style blower fan but only on shorter cards (<10.5")

I have that case, it sux for a full sized VC unless you mod the top for additional air flow. Basically the air just gets trapped up there with no place to go. It will work with a reference style blower fan but only on shorter cards (<10.5")

Had the case for a short while and yeah, I agree with your assessment. Had I kept it, I would have put a slim filtered intake and fan right behind the USB and sound headers to help with positive pressure if the card needed it. I ended up cutting into the side panel (since it was already perforated, it was easy to cut out a circular hole) to do the same and it worked surprisingly well.

Normally I would recommend the Nzxt H230 which I've been using for a few months and am very pleased with. But apparently Nzxt is discontinuing this model so I would now recommend Nzxt's Source 220. It allows the power supply on the bottom so you could go with a fanless power supply like I did. Plus there's plenty of room for your video card like the picture on their website shows. Plus plenty of drive room and even room for fans on the top.

i've not seen the op mention how the cpu is cooled. stock air, tower heatsink, aio liquid all help determine how much space you'll need.

I was comparing ATX cases a few months back and feel like the Corsair 400Q is, volume-wise, the smallest ATX case....
Seems like the generic short depth, black, 2U server cases are smaller than that.

I just saw this pop up in the forums. Might be worth taking a look at.

CR1080 Full ATX Compartment design - Riotoro

The CR1080 has approx 30% more volume than the Corsair 400Q.

Corsair 400Q: 16.73 x 8.46 x 18.26 = 2587 in^3

Riotoro CR1080: 18 x 15.75 x 11.5 = 3260 in^3

It also seems that the CR1080 may not be able to accommodate taller coolers, whereas the 400Q would be able to. My 2 cents.

The smallest I felt comfortable moving into was the Lian Li A05FNB.
LIAN LI PC-A05FNB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case-Newegg.com

It's pretty good in terms of used space... the PSU is moved to the front/bottom of the case and it has the least amount of height out of any standard tower-like configurations out there:
1e04011f_gpTbribh.jpeg

I'm constantly looking for something smaller that might use a smaller power supply form factor, but I haven't come across anything yet.

The CR1080 has approx 30% more volume than the Corsair 400Q.

It also seems that the CR1080 may not be able to accommodate taller coolers, whereas the 400Q would be able to. My 2 cents.

Lian-Li A05FN: 19.69" x 8.27" x 15.16" = 2468 in^3

-- Dave

The smallest I felt comfortable moving into was the Lian Li A05FNB.
LIAN LI PC-A05FNB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case-Newegg.com
I'm constantly looking for something smaller that might use a smaller power supply form factor, but I haven't come across anything yet.

Wow, that's a nice one. Only way I could see that case being even smaller is to sacrifice some lower drive bays for a vertical installation of the PSU in order to shorten the depth slightly... but by that point you're already beyond diminishing returns.

Wow, that's a nice one. Only way I could see that case being even smaller is to sacrifice some lower drive bays for a vertical installation of the PSU in order to shorten the depth slightly... but by that point you're already beyond diminishing returns.
They have a newer version with a single 5.25 bay that has a vertical PSU orientation...let me dig that up.

There is a smaller one...

Lian-Li Global | PC-A55

PC-A55-color.png

PC-A55-05.png

30_case_sobra_front_big.jpg

PC-A55 7.40 x 14.76 x 17.91 = 1956.20 in^3

VS:

Lian-Li A05FN: 19.69" x 8.27" x 15.16" = 2468 in^3

It might be a cable management nightmare, but it is certainly tiny... if you made your own custom-length cables, it would be real nice.

-- Dave

There is a smaller one...
Lian-Li Global | PC-A55
PC-A55 7.40 x 14.76 x 17.91 = 1956.20 in^3
-- Dave

Huh, damn. Long enough for 12.2" video cards, too. I don't think it can get smaller than that without turning the 5.25" bay exclusively into a 2.5" bay and limiting card sizes to 10.5"

This would be my pick for smallest ATX case had I still been on an ATX board myself.

If you were open to it price wise, you may want to look into the CaseLabs "Bullet" series BH7 - Bullet BH7 ATX Case . I looked int purchasing one myself recently and only stopped because of a particular use case, which led me to buying one of their larger and more modular offerings. It is very compact and well designed, yet the BH7 version is sized for standard ATX hardware and is well designed both to work in and regarding cooling. It is available in a variety of colors (black, gunmetal, white, tangerine, lime, berry! White is a personal favorite of mine and has a classy contrast), but it is important to note that the "colored" part is the wrap around shell that makes up the top and sides, whereas the front panel is normally black. The only potential downside is price, but I think it seems to be one of the smallest enthusiast ATX cases around and from reports, one of the best.

Edit: The authorized reseller "Titan Rig" on Amazon actually sells these with Prime shipping, if that is of interest to you. The prices seem a little higher, but depending on what you'd end up spending for shipping from CaseLabs direct or another vendor, it may come out even or a little less. Here's a link (not commissioned). Note that this is for the all black version that is "loaded" with both dual windows and added handles; they also have the gunmetal and the white

https://www.amazon.com/CaseLabs-Bullet-Handles-Windows-Black/dp/B01HHGH8KO/ref=sr_1_11?m=A3GO5VFCNOM5I7&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1471961716&sr=1-11&refinements=p_4:CaseLabs

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The PC-A55 looks nice, but I wonder if the 5.25 and 3.25 bays are removable...would be nice if that could be removed and the psu mounted in its place, at least if you plan on using only SSD's for storage.

I guess no one has found anything smaller yet? =)

I was hoping someone would make something tall but narrow, with lots of ribbon risers to relocate cards in a smart way.

Lian-Li comes close with their PC-07 stuff..
Lian-Li Global | PC-O7SW

Back