Help me find a case!

OrangeWolf

Gawd
No huge rush on this. Planning to build either mid-June or possibly wait til Kaby Lake is out later this year, but probably mid-June.

Requirements:
  • Dimensions (HWD) available approx 44 x 22 x 44 mm -aka- 17.5 x 9.0 x 17.5 in
    • I can go a little bigger, maybe by 1" all around, but this is the largest case that will comfortably fit
  • Fits single full size GPU
    • No plans to ever use 2x GPUs, but I want to be able to fit the largest possible single GPU available
    • Probably a nvidia pascal 1070 to start
  • Plenty of space for fans that are easy to install
    • I live in Mississippi and it's hot and humid, keeping cool is important
    • Will not water cool
    • Preferably removable filters - there is a TON of dust here
  • Room for at least 1x SSD and 2x HD
  • Front ports for USB3 and an external bay for a CD/DVD-R
    • Audio preferred but optional
    • In general I'm fond of front ports - is there a reason that some cases don't have them? Besides looks?
  • Great cable management
    • I'd prefer that as many sides come off the case as possible for cleaning and ease of installation - I'm bad at this stuff, the more the case helps me the better!
I don't really care which type MoBo the case takes, but I want to have as much room as possible. So ATX is preferred, but there aren't many ATX cases this size that I know of. I think MicroATX > miniITX in terms of performance usually?

Price isn't a big deal, but I still want to keep it <$200 on the top end.

Color and/or looks don't matter. Though I'd prefer it not have lights inside it - some cases appear pre-modded to glow blue or some other color.

Let me emphasize that I do not know what I'm doing, what I need, or (past a point) what I want.

All I know is what the deal breakers are (see reqs above), and that I hate my HAF 912 case. That's probably in part b/c it was for my first build and I couldn't figure out how to open it up properly, except for one side, and I struggled with it. It usually contains approximately 10 pounds of dust, even after being cleaned. And tons of other minor issues that I probably could have avoided if I'd had any damn idea what I was doing for my first build in early 2011.

Currently I'm looking at the Corsair 350D. I think the Corsair 88R, Air 240, and Air 540 might be other Corsair options. Perhaps also the Cooler Master N200.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? I hear Fractal Design and Lian Li are great options in addition to Corsair and Cooler Master, but at a quick glance I didn't see any that met my needs.

Thanks!

My favorite looking case on the market right now is the 900D. I wasn't going to dump that kind of money right now, so I ordered a Tt x71 today. Seems to have great reviews all around.

Looked it up, alxlwson - dimensions are 692mm x 252mm x 650mm for the 900D which is significantly bigger than what I can work with (approx 440 x 220 x 440, see above). "Looks" are also the least important aspect for me. Given the price and the size is almost certainly meets other reqs, and it's a fine case for sure.

Thanks for the bump.

Do you really use the CD/DVDROM that often? I bought a USB DVD burner years ago... and can count the number of times it's been out of the drawer since on one hand.

If you're willing to give up the 5.25" bays you can get a much cleaner looking, more compact, better cooled case. Something like the NZXT S340 or Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX / mATX.

Last edited:
silent-circuit - yeah, I burn CDs for the car on a monthly basis. I would actually miss it if it were gone, though I could probably adapt without too much issue.

I'll check out those cases - though I do think cases with 'clean' fronts look uglier than those with things on the front instead. But looks don't matter to me if I can sort out how to live without my CDs.

Thanks again! I'll add those to the list to read up on.

Also, when you say the dimensions in the OP are the greatest that will "comfortably fit" -- where is this going? Hopefully not back in a 'hutch' / cabinet. That will starve components for air.

Just under my desk - it's a fairly open spot with open air in front and behind. It could go on either side (right or left) so that if there are side fans one side can vent out. Air flow shouldn't be any worse than it is sitting on the floor.

I like the Bitfenix Prodigy M, its a m-atx case so its possible to add another gpu later down the road (but it will be tight..). I actually built a pc in the case upside down for better airflow to the gpu and psu. It's 250mm wide, very close to 22 cm + 1" (245mm).

Good Luck!

/Heffaklump

Back