SlySoft sale AnyDVD HD lifetime for about $94

I got an email today about upgrading from normal to HD at a discounted price. pretty cool of them

I was going to jump on this, but then I remembered I own Hauppauge HD-PVR, duh.

It captures 1080i component video and optical audio (so only 5.1....no HD formats for audio).

It's about 2x as much at $200: http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018LX0DY

However, it's also useful for archiving HDTV from your cable or satellite box.

I was having trouble getting Harry Potter to rip earlier tonight using the trial version of AnyDVD, then I had the duh moment, remembering the HD-PVR. It's recording as I type this. Obviously I lose the menus, etc. But my impression is that a lot of AnyDVD users end up encoding into MKV or similar formats anyway.

Just an alternative idea in case anybody else is interested.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Let me flat out tell you that AnyDVD HD can remove the copy protection for Blu-ray and HD-DVD disc's. With it you can rip the entire disc to your hard drive or use a program like Ripbot 264 to encode directly from the disc to an mkv, mp4 or ACVHD. Blu-ray and HD-DVD copy protection bypassing is not available with the standard AnyDVD

I do not think that CloneDVD2 works with Blu-ray.

What size are the files after the conversions?

I'm still a little confused on what AnyDVD does. Would Anydvd HD allow me to play blu ray movies using media player classic as the player or would I need to get something else.

I'm still a little confused on what AnyDVD does. Would Anydvd HD allow me to play blu ray movies using media player classic as the player or would I need to get something else.

AnyDVD removes the copy protection embedded on the disk, allowing you to play the content without the need for an HDCP compliant display, or rip the content to your HDD for archiving.

AnyDVD removes the copy protection embedded on the disk, allowing you to play the content without the need for an HDCP compliant display, or rip the content to your HDD for archiving.

And once you rip it to your HD, you can also convert it to an MKV file and play it in MPC, XBMC and so on. I think you may be able to play BDs/HDDVDs in XBMC if you've removed the copy protection, but I haven't tried it.

You could rip disc and play the main .m2ts stream in MPCHC or VLC. I sometimes have issues with MPCHC and bluray audio, but VLC always works.

You could rip disc and play the main .m2ts stream in MPCHC or VLC. I sometimes have issues with MPCHC and bluray audio, but VLC always works.

I have audio issues playing .m2ts files sometimes as well. Usually, I get the French or Spanish track, with no apparent way to change. Is that your experience?

slightly off topic, but is there a way to keep the extra features and the main feature together in a mediacenter app? I'm mostly thinking of XBMC, but I could be convinced to try one of the other ones. I really need to get all of my HDDVDs backed up, and while I don't care about the extra languages, I do care about the extra features (and occasionally the commentary tracks).

I have audio issues playing .m2ts files sometimes as well. Usually, I get the French or Spanish track, with no apparent way to change. Is that your experience?

That does happen, but you can change the audio track. I think the program has issues with some forms of DTS audio or perhaps I'm missing a codec in which I just hear distortion/noise instead of the real audio. Usually there is another english audio track I can switch to, but VLC doesn't have the same issue.

slightly off topic, but is there a way to keep the extra features and the main feature together in a mediacenter app? I'm mostly thinking of XBMC, but I could be convinced to try one of the other ones. I really need to get all of my HDDVDs backed up, and while I don't care about the extra languages, I do care about the extra features (and occasionally the commentary tracks).

Commentary audio is usually in the main stream as another audio track, but extra features would be separate streams (just another .m2ts file). You could save multiple files and name them appropriately or you could also rip it to an ISO and watch that. I haven't tried opening a bluray ISO with MPCHC or VLC though so I'm not sure what you would use to watch it.

if you try to play the main movie .m2t files using MPC-HC without anydvd hd, it wont work. that's part of the BD+/AACS copyright crap.

anydvd hd removes all that, so THEN u can play it.

With the continuing surge in the dollar, this is now down to 90.81 USD (and Slysoft's exchange calculator seems to be lagging; 63.20 EUR actually equals 90.34 USD at today's rate).

It seems likely that the dollar will continue to rise over the coming week, so for U.S. customers, waiting to pull the trigger until just before this offer expires on Dec. 31 might prove wise.

12/25 EDIT: I should probably leave the financial soothsaying to the experts. No sooner did I prognosticate continued strength of the dollar, then it started to weaken again....

Last edited:
With the continuing surge in the dollar, this is now down to 90.81 USD (and Slysoft's exchange calculator seems to be lagging; 63.20 EUR actually equals 90.34 USD at today's rate).

It seems likely that the dollar will continue to rise over the coming week, so for U.S. customers, waiting to pull the trigger until just before this offer expires on Dec. 31 might prove wise.

Great idea.

im still on the fence about it... i just dont need blurays or their stupid drm that goes with. as said above, my hd-pvr can take care of anything in a pinch, and netflix and amazon have a powerfully convincing service. its getting to the point where the convenience is so great that a couple buck to watch a movie online doesnt seem bad at all..

im still on the fence about it... i just dont need blurays or their stupid drm that goes with. as said above, my hd-pvr can take care of anything in a pinch, and netflix and amazon have a powerfully convincing service. its getting to the point where the convenience is so great that a couple buck to watch a movie online doesnt seem bad at all..
If Netflix and Amazon's streaming services are similar to your HD-PVR, then something is wrong with your HD source (Super Bad cable), because neither of those services are close to BD or OTA HD broadcasts.

Netflix/Amazon/Cable does not offer you the bandwidth the BD medium offers. If you are happy watching "HD streams" at 8 to 12 Mbps or even less (typical for most HD cable channels, and less for Netflix), then you are blessed. I personally would not be willing to sacrifice quality (40 Mbps streams on well encoded BD discs) for convenience.

Also it depends on your TV technology and size. On my 32" plasma many things look great, including SD. Even compressed Blu-rays down to 2-3GB look fantastic. However, once I watch the same rip on my 61" LED DLP the differences start to get more obvious and SD sources look aweful.

I'm going to have to jump on this promo. With all the Thomas the Train and Baby Einstein dvd's that are ruined do to being scratched by the kiddos, this will pay for itself in no time. The Blu-ray is a added sweet bonus too.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to jump on this promo. With all the Thomas the Train and Baby Einstein dvd's that are ruined do to being scratched by the kiddos, this will pay for itself in now time. The Blu-ray is a added sweet bonus too.

You don't need AnyDVD to rip regular DVD's. There is free software that will do that. You do need AnyDVD for Blu Ray.

compared to their higher than hell normal prices on yearly purchase this is a good deal.
thanks for sharing?

how is the iso rip that comes with this?

My media player does iso dvd and would it be better than dvd decrypter for making iso's ?

one other thing is there a good free program to write the iso's to dvd if I need to?

If Netflix and Amazon's streaming services are similar to your HD-PVR, then something is wrong with your HD source (Super Bad cable), because neither of those services are close to BD or OTA HD broadcasts.

if you think i actually said amazon's or netflix's streaming quality compares to bluray then you need to go back to school and learn to read.

that said, i just rented 2 movies off amazon, and if you download the videos instead of streaming youll find they are a nice step UP from DVD, and absolutely watchable (even on my 110" projection system).

of course, big time action movies youre going to want full quality... but for most movies? movies like the one i watched, real time, is all dialog and the quality of the video is much less critical anyway. but like i said, i think a lot of people write-off amazon or netflix just because they assume the quality sucks and they dont actually try it out. the quality changes regularly too... it will always get better with these streaming services over time.

compared to their higher than hell normal prices on yearly purchase this is a good deal.
thanks for sharing?

how is the iso rip that comes with this?

My media player does iso dvd and would it be better than dvd decrypter for making iso's ?

one other thing is there a good free program to write the iso's to dvd if I need to?

Its super easy, and I haven't had a dvd it could not handle so far. True free tools are out there for standard dvds and I used to do all that on my linux box, but anydvd really is so much easier.

I don't think I paid near this much over a year ago thou, and thought it was around $70 usd. Has the dollar fallen that much or is it the price of the product?

They raised the price I think around the end of 2008. Or maybe it has been steadily climbing plus the falling dollar. This is me complaining about the price last year, I have no idea what plan that was but it was a sale price too. Keep in mind with the falling price of players and this exchange for that regular price you are actually looking at a whole bluray player now. Pretty sad but there is still no one else in this game, makes me wonder what is going on over there that they are the only ones that can bring this to market. Yeah during checkout I was annoyed at the no amex/paypal thing too but like anyone that carries amex I have backups that just don't have the same backups and kick backs of amex.

I don't know how useful this software is or what features it has, and I'm sure it doesn't come close to AnyDVD HD, but it's free, and might suit some people's needs: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1744082. WinX Blu-Ray Decrypter for free through Jan. 11. <shrug> Just thought I'd throw that in here in case some people are sure they're not going to be able to afford AnyDVD HD, but still want to give something a try. It seems somewhat hit-or-miss from the comments.

Other than them charging my card and my owing money, no.

Some banks will both weight the exchange rate in their favor and/or charge you a foreign exchange fee.

My family didn't own an HDTV... now, we've got our first BluRay drive coming from NewEgg, an HTPC (where the drive will go), and I've upgraded my old as the hills full subscription of AnyDVD to AnyDVDHD (it cost $42.60, near about).

My wallet thanks you.

I bought the suite of software. I figured I would use the game jackel in a few years for the kids and I'm sure I'll be getting a bluray at the end of the year. I have so many other DVD +/- discs to burn at the moment.

CloneDVD is nice and simple to rip out all the content you don't want.

I bought anyDVD HD just in time. I backed up my bluray of Donnie Brasco last night with just a few simple mouse clicks. The software still says only 21 day evaluation period even though I've registered my key. I hope I didn't do something wrong.

I bought anyDVD HD just in time. I backed up my bluray of Donnie Brasco last night with just a few simple mouse clicks. The software still says only 21 day evaluation period even though I've registered my key. I hope I didn't do something wrong.

I had the same problem too! Just install the program first. Reboot if asked. Then double click on the registration file and reboot again. I had to click on the registration file again and reboot to finally get it to unlock it.

Is it me or is the deal still running (at 'least part of it)... Lifetime subs are still priced the same as 2-year subs, I had set a reminder on my calendar to get it after I came back from vacation on the 29th but forgot to do so anyway and I just looked it up... Shows $113 for a lifetime sub to AnyDVD-HD for me (aprox., 79 EUR actual), will that actually go down once I check out and it updates the exchange rate or what?

The 20% off deals is over. I bought it last night and it showed that there was a discount. It was 63.20 EUR.

Ah, I guess the 20% off is gone but lifetime for the price of 2-years is still on then... You still save something like $30-40. (unless that's a semi-permanent type of deal and the other menu options are just there to make ya feel better :p )

AnyDVD is quite simple awesome. Ive been using the suite of software for 5-6 yrs now and love it (ever since dvdecrypter caved in). Think I only paid $30 for lifetime everything at the time :) I'll be needing the HD version soon...a little pricey but the software and ease of use is worth it. Best part is....every time sony/disney come up with a new encryption scheme, the boys at slysoft have an update 2-3 days later :cool:

Back