Sleeping Dogs

I think took me around 20-25 hours to finish the main game. If you had an xbox 360 controller it maps everything perfect, it also changes the UI to the button icons. I also thought the DLCs were pretty good too
This is what my controller looks like:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Logitech_Rumblepad_F510,_1.jpg
Logitech_Rumblepad_F510%2C_1.jpg

It looks to be similarly mapped to the XBox controller, according to the options setting, except my controller's D pad and left joystick control are swapped from the XBox controller picture.

I also don't like how RT and RB seem to be swapped for me (and also LT/LB). I realize I can remap the controller. I need to get better at learning fight sequence buttons. So far, they're not too complicated (nowhere as complex as "Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition").

The main focus of this game was the fighting, guns were never meant to be useful.
That's good. I beat up a cop and stole his gun. But it's pretty hard to fire it, compared to my experience in GTA - VC.

My, you have big hands!
Yeah, that pic came out a lot larger than I thought it would.

I do like this controller. It was pissing me off playing this game until I realized the D vs. X setting that's on the back of this controller (and therefore not shown in that Wiki pic).

I bought SD for $5 I guess back in Nov. It was sitting in my Steam account until I recently upgraded my video card (AMD 7770 to GTX 770). I just started playing it as of last weekend and have it on max eye candy for my 24" 1920x1200 screen. This looks like a hoot, reminds me of "Grand Theft Auto". Heck, I've heard it referred to as GTA - Hong Kong.

I have a Logitech F510 game pad. I somehow had the switch on the back flipped to "D". The controls were whacked and I was having a hard time winning fight scenes. "Y" wouldn't work to counter enemies. I then flipped it to "X", reinstalled the Logitech drivers, and now the controls work as expected. Including driving, which didn't previously work. Man, this game is fun and I know I've just barely scratched the surface.

How many hours did it take to beat the game at a relaxed pace? I'm about 4-5 hours into it, although probably a few hours were wasted w/ the wrong game pad setting where I kept dying often.

Also, is there a good cheat sheet on where to find all the hidden stuff? This thread is too long for me to read every post. TIA.

Directinput mode is only useful for older games that don't support xinput, it's nice to have that option if you play older games but I've mainly used my f710 in xinput mode. Also you don't need to install the Logitech drivers unless you're using it in directiput mode and the xbox controller drivers install automatically.

Steam says that I have just over 100 hours in 2 playthroughs so I would guess it took about 30-40 hours of actually playing for each. No need for a cheatsheet unless you want to collect some things early since everything will get unlocked on you map after doing certain things.

I enjoyed the game but I get the feeling that if they make a sequel it would likely be even better because there's certainly room for improvement. My biggest gripe with the game is the obscene amount of dlc for it, luckily it didn't feel like the game was lacking without it because I won't buy any when there's that many of them.

I'm not down on Watch Dogs like others are but this game is still superior in a number of ways.

Directinput mode is only useful for older games that don't support xinput, it's nice to have that option if you play older games but I've mainly used my f710 in xinput mode. Also you don't need to install the Logitech drivers unless you're using it in directiput mode and the xbox controller drivers install automatically.

Steam says that I have just over 100 hours in 2 playthroughs so I would guess it took about 30-40 hours of actually playing for each. No need for a cheatsheet unless you want to collect some things early since everything will get unlocked on you map after doing certain things.

I enjoyed the game but I get the feeling that if they make a sequel it would likely be even better because there's certainly room for improvement. My biggest gripe with the game is the obscene amount of dlc for it, luckily it didn't feel like the game was lacking without it because I won't buy any when there's that many of them.
Yeah, that's pretty much what Logitech support said about X vs. D mode when I checked their website. I don't remember what it was set to by default. In other words, I don't remember when i first got the controller 2-3 years ago if I changed it from X to D or just never realized if it was on D to begin with. This game would be impossible to play if it was on the wrong mode and certain things, like Y to block and counter punches, couldn't be done.

I'm at about 12-13 hours into the game. I was up til 5 am on Sun. morning playing it. I haven't had that kind of game binge in years! :eek:

I just finished some sort of shooting training (where I recovered a gun from the karaoke chick and my boss tried to recreate the scene). Doing all that LT/RT stuff is pretty tough - I'm not used to those trigger buttons. I'm just used to holding them to accelerate (in racing games and also when driving cars in this game).

I've also been watching a series of videos on YT by "theRadBrad" that shows his game play analysis, which is also pretty useful.

I'm not down on Watch Dogs like others are but this game is still superior in a number of ways.

Watch Dogs has nothing whatsoever to do with Sleeping Dogs other than a similar name. The sequel to Sleeping Dogs will be Triad Wars, so I wouldn't put it past Ubisoft to call their sequel Quad Wars.

What makes Sleeping Dogs better than any other Open World game? No, it isn't Action Hijacking.

Speeding bike + Wheelie + a speeding car. When I found this out... I go bike 99% of the time.

What makes Sleeping Dogs better than any other Open World game? No, it isn't Action Hijacking.

Speeding bike + Wheelie + a speeding car. When I found this out... I go bike 99% of the time.
I prefer the car b/c you can turn on a dime via the e-brake. The motorbike doesn't allow that, unless I haven't found the right motorbike yet.

So far, the only annoying part of the game I found is that even after you find a shrine and pray, it still keeps glowing, as if you haven't used it. They should stop glowing. Kind of like when you find a briefcase and open it, it stays open.

What are some good sites to use as a cheat sheet to find these hidden objects? I was just going to Google, but if someone has some well organized resource, I'd appreciate those links!

The driving in the car is fun, no doubt, the controls are well done. But I just can't stop wheelie jumping over cars. Managed to get into the two chin mansion that way, just for the hell of it. Motorbike is harder to turn but can turn quick, I usually overturn however

Well, you don't really need a cheat sheet really, cuz if you go on dates, they get revealed on your map. But there should be one with an interactive map. I found it while trying to find a more informative map to find the dumb ass police department to have a shoot out.

Here ya go.

http://www.ign.com/maps/sleeping-dogs/hongkong

The driving in the car is fun, no doubt, the controls are well done. But I just can't stop wheelie jumping over cars. Managed to get into the two chin mansion that way, just for the hell of it. Motorbike is harder to turn but can turn quick, I usually overturn however

Well, you don't really need a cheat sheet really, cuz if you go on dates, they get revealed on your map. But there should be one with an interactive map. I found it while trying to find a more informative map to find the dumb ass police department to have a shoot out.

Here ya go.

http://www.ign.com/maps/sleeping-dogs/hongkong
Thanks for the link. I guess I'll buy a motorbike and try doing those wheelies. Ever since I bought a car, I've just been buying more cars and pretty much just use those for missions. I'll reattempt the motorbikes.

Yeah, I went out w/ 3 chicks so far, but I haven't seen any shrines, statues, etc. show up on my map. So I'll "cheat" and use the online ones. I think the statues are the most important collectibles b/c you learn new fighting maneuvers. I learned leg break recently - pretty fun stuff. :eek:

I beat the game! It took me 40 hours, but of that, 10 was messing around, and half of that was b/c my controller was set to the wrong input mode, as I mentioned before. I also tried to do as many side missions as possible. There are a few I didn't or couldn't do so I may still try it. The last couple missions were pretty tough, the guy w/ the machete and Big Smile Lee. The trick is basically to counter their moves and then strike back. "Sleeping Dogs" (still not sure why it's called that, other than you want to sleep like one when playing the game halfway into the next morning :p) was definitely worth playing. :cool:

I enjoyed the fighting side missions the most. After the clunky fighting controls in GTA4 and Gay Tony, it was refreshing that Sleeping Dogs played more like a real fighting game.

I beat the game! It took me 40 hours, but of that, 10 was messing around, and half of that was b/c my controller was set to the wrong input mode, as I mentioned before. I also tried to do as many side missions as possible. There are a few I didn't or couldn't do so I may still try it. The last couple missions were pretty tough, the guy w/ the machete and Big Smile Lee. The trick is basically to counter their moves and then strike back. "Sleeping Dogs" (still not sure why it's called that, other than you want to sleep like one when playing the game halfway into the next morning :p) was definitely worth playing. :cool:

Found this on the sleeping dogs wiki page.

"The name of the game may be a reference to the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie". If someone is told to let sleeping dogs lie, it means that they shouldn't disturb a situation as it would result in trouble or complications."

I enjoyed the fighting side missions the most. After the clunky fighting controls in GTA4 and Gay Tony, it was refreshing that Sleeping Dogs played more like a real fighting game.

The tradeoff for that was that the gun mechanics were atrocious, which makes sense since the game was focused on fighting.

What didn't you like about the Gun mechanic? I didn't think it did anything amazing, but I don't see anything wrong with it personally. It is overpowered though, esp against vehicles.

Gunplay was bad, but it was still probably better than GTA4. In GTA4 the best approach is literally just to stand there in the open and slowly line up and shoot everyone. The cover mechanic was so bad that it actually made enemies more likely to shoot you and it made your aim horrible. At least Sleeping Dogs improved upon that.

Found this on the sleeping dogs wiki page.

"The name of the game may be a reference to the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie". If someone is told to let sleeping dogs lie, it means that they shouldn't disturb a situation as it would result in trouble or complications."

Thanks, yes, I've heard of that phrase, so I can see it now that you mentioned it. I joked to my friends I want to sleep like a dog b/c I was so tired in the morning after being up too late playing this game.

About improving the game that others mentioned, I wish the cars had a mph (or kmph since it's Hong Kong) reading so you know what the top speed is for whatever vehicle you're driving. Also, I wish there was a gun impact meter, so you know if upgrading is worthwhile.

Finally, while the compass is useful to find various things, I wish once you got near the spot, a 3-D compass would pop up. For the life of me, I still can't find one of the drug busts that's by the arena. I swear I've checked all the levels.

All that said, the game was definitely worth it and it's my 2nd most hours logged game after "GTA Vice City" in my Steam library (50+ games).

Back