Sleeping Dogs

Sleeping Dogs is on sale for 80% off at Steam for $4.99. Seems to be very much worth it.

The Sleeping Dogs DLC Collection is only 50% off, for $27.49. Yuck. Even if it, too, goes down to 80% off it would still be $11. Are any of those actually worthwhile or should I just stick with the base game?

I never messed with the DLC, but at $5 the main game is 100% worth it. The world is nearly comparable in size to GTA4 but the game itself is much, much, much more optimized. It's also short enough that it never becomes tedious.

Didn't even know the game had that much DLC...damn

But the base game is DEFINITELY worth the $5. Anyone who hasn't played this, definitely should now.

Edit: I will say this though; I hated the minigames. The main story makes you play karaoke twice and I wanted to shoot myself.

Sleeping Dogs was one of the rare games I paid full retail for and felt it was worth every penny.. For $5.00 it's a steal.. If anyone picks it up make sure to download the free HD Texture pack along with it..

The zombie one. The New Year one is a bit rubbish.

I hear 'Year of the Snake' is sort of like a prologue...seems like that and Nightmare at North Point seem to be the only ones worth getting...seems like none of the DLC were really all that amazing so I might just stick with the base game

I would say the DLC does enhance the game. Year of the snake and Nightmare at North Point are "eh" when compared to the main game.

I liked the rest of the DLCs because they were integrated into the game. I actually liked the zodiac tournament dlc its like enter the dragon.

I personally really like the game with all the DLCs.

I hope there is a sequel to this.. IMO you don't even really need to buy any of the DLC.. Once you finish the main story, favors, etc etc etc you're pretty well burned out of Sleeping Dogs.. The game was perfect.. They could definitely build on it.. IMO the races were one of the weakest points of the entire game.. Just seemed shoehorned in..

I recently finished this game and enjoyed it quite a bit. I played with all settings maxed except I had the shadow rendering quality set to normal; it really put my GTX 780 to work but it ran very well except that the cut scenes were a little rough. They must have bumped the detail up for the cut scenes because my GPU usage would hit the roof during the cut scenes. I felt like the draw distance was reasonable and the graphics detail was good and clean.

If Rockstar can't get the inevitable GTAV PC port to perform smoothly, they're idiots.

I'm definitely going to get Triad Wars. Sleeping Dogs & all its DLC is a real solid GTA competitor that deserves more attention. Not enough people know how awesome it actually is.

Last edited:
So I have this game, but haven't installed/played it yet. Tied up in other games currently. Looks like I"ll like this one day when I get around to it.

So I have this game, but haven't installed/played it yet. Tied up in other games currently. Looks like I"ll like this one day when I get around to it.
It's a good/fun game. I was able to just pick it up and play through it in a few days. It's not a difficult or frustrating game so it's easy to just play right on through.

It's a good/fun game. I was able to just pick it up and play through it in a few days. It's not a difficult or frustrating game so it's easy to just play right on through.

Thats awesome to hear, because thats exactly the type of game I need right now.

I tried it got past the beginning, expecting to hurry up and save it move one. Over the next two weeks I bought all the DLCs and 32 hours played.

Sleeping dogs is one of the most underrated games ever.

'A man who never eats a whole Porkbun is not a whole man'

I'd have to agree with that. It is a great game, fun good story line, competent voice acting and it looks great to boot.

I'm sure I remember one food vendor yelling about his food on a stick. I didn't hang out and listen to his pitch but he was getting pretty aggressive about it and I thought it was hilarious.

The replay ability of the game is excellent also. I've already beat it twice and itching for a third go around. The social features aren't shabby either w/ the points scoring system they use for each mission and allowing you to go back and replay any mission at will.

It is completely underrated though. I remember I found out about it by doing a Google search for "best open world PC game" or something to that affect and saw Sleeping Dogs mentioned a few times.. Took a chance and bought it. About 10 minutes in I remember thinking "How the hell is this not more wildly known and talked about in the gaming press?" It was fairly new when I bought it and just dumbfound I never heard of it before.

Game is great, but there are lots of things that feels a bit incomplete. The whole dating thing... how it is just a string of, basically, linear quests. Completely opposite of a open world for one.

Lots of quests are very do this, this specific way, which makes it feels meh.

I did like it quite a bit though, when going through it. I can't say i want to go through it again though.

This game rocks in eyefinity with an Xbox controller. The newly announced sequel is going to rock.

Sleeping Dogs is $4.99 on Steam in today's Daily Deal, good for the next two days.

The Sleeping Dogs DLC Collection, which has all of the DLC, is now down to $10.99 which is apparently the lowest it has ever been, so I bit. Ha, I predicted this exact discount a month ago earlier in this thread.

So, this is on special right now, $5 USD. That is an awesome deal for such an amazing game.

I apologize for the necro bump, but I have to! I bought this game on a Steam sale and it sat there uninstalled. I just recently started playing this and ... woooooow. I am very much enjoying this game. It seems to have fixed all the issues I had with GTAIV, and with the high res texture packs it looks terrific.

So far, (about ~5 hours in) the story is fun, fresh and the game is great. Does anyone know if there is a sequel in the works?

I apologize for the necro bump, but I have to! I bought this game on a Steam sale and it sat there uninstalled. I just recently started playing this and ... woooooow. I am very much enjoying this game. It seems to have fixed all the issues I had with GTAIV, and with the high res texture packs it looks terrific.

So far, (about ~5 hours in) the story is fun, fresh and the game is great. Does anyone know if there is a sequel in the works?

It would appear to be so. Which is great, because I'm in the same boat you were in. I bought the game and all DLC on steam sale for $10 and then just let it sit there. Started playing it yesterday and also a few hours into it, and I'm enjoying the gameplay more than GTA5. The combat is more enjoyable and rewarding than GTA5.

Hopefully the sequel leaves most of the gameplay intact, but with a bigger world, less shitty horn noises, and an adjustable FOV.

I hope there is a sequel to this.. IMO you don't even really need to buy any of the DLC.. Once you finish the main story, favors, etc etc etc you're pretty well burned out of Sleeping Dogs.. The game was perfect.. They could definitely build on it.. IMO the races were one of the weakest points of the entire game.. Just seemed shoehorned in..

Are you aware this game is a sequel already? It's the third game in the True Crime series.

Are you aware this game is a sequel already? It's the third game in the True Crime series.

It was supposed to be, but got cancelled and picked up by another publisher and is now it's own series.

The game started development as an original title, but was announced in 2009 as True Crime: Hong Kong, the third installment and a reboot of the True Crime series.[7] As a result of the game's high development budget and delays, it was canceled by Activision Blizzard in 2011. Six months later, it was announced that Square Enix had picked up the publishing rights to the game, renamed Sleeping Dogs, without a relation to True Crime.[8]

True Crime was pretty fun wouldn't mind seeing an actual sequel to it nor to Sleeping Dogs.

Sleeping Dogs is $4.99 on Steam in today's Daily Deal, good for the next two days.

The Sleeping Dogs DLC Collection, which has all of the DLC, is now down to $10.99 which is apparently the lowest it has ever been, so I bit. Ha, I predicted this exact discount a month ago earlier in this thread.

I bought SD for $5 I guess back in Nov. It was sitting in my Steam account until I recently upgraded my video card (AMD 7770 to GTX 770). I just started playing it as of last weekend and have it on max eye candy for my 24" 1920x1200 screen. This looks like a hoot, reminds me of "Grand Theft Auto". Heck, I've heard it referred to as GTA - Hong Kong.

I have a Logitech F510 game pad. I somehow had the switch on the back flipped to "D". The controls were whacked and I was having a hard time winning fight scenes. "Y" wouldn't work to counter enemies. I then flipped it to "X", reinstalled the Logitech drivers, and now the controls work as expected. Including driving, which didn't previously work. Man, this game is fun and I know I've just barely scratched the surface.

How many hours did it take to beat the game at a relaxed pace? I'm about 4-5 hours into it, although probably a few hours were wasted w/ the wrong game pad setting where I kept dying often.

Also, is there a good cheat sheet on where to find all the hidden stuff? This thread is too long for me to read every post. TIA.

I hated this game. The story didnt interest me. THe graphics were good but nothing special. The missions were the same bullshit over and over. and thati is fine if the story is good but it is not. The car handling was shit and the guns were just boring. It felt like a port. I hate quick time events and this game is full of them.

I bought SD for $5 I guess back in Nov. It was sitting in my Steam account until I recently upgraded my video card (AMD 7770 to GTX 770). I just started playing it as of last weekend and have it on max eye candy for my 24" 1920x1200 screen. This looks like a hoot, reminds me of "Grand Theft Auto". Heck, I've heard it referred to as GTA - Hong Kong.

I have a Logitech F510 game pad. I somehow had the switch on the back flipped to "D". The controls were whacked and I was having a hard time winning fight scenes. "Y" wouldn't work to counter enemies. I then flipped it to "X", reinstalled the Logitech drivers, and now the controls work as expected. Including driving, which didn't previously work. Man, this game is fun and I know I've just barely scratched the surface.

How many hours did it take to beat the game at a relaxed pace? I'm about 4-5 hours into it, although probably a few hours were wasted w/ the wrong game pad setting where I kept dying often.

Also, is there a good cheat sheet on where to find all the hidden stuff? This thread is too long for me to read every post. TIA.

I think took me around 20-25 hours to finish the main game. If you had an xbox 360 controller it maps everything perfect, it also changes the UI to the button icons. I also thought the DLCs were pretty good too

I hated this game. The story didnt interest me. THe graphics were good but nothing special. The missions were the same bullshit over and over. and thati is fine if the story is good but it is not. The car handling was shit and the guns were just boring. It felt like a port. I hate quick time events and this game is full of them.

The main focus of this game was the fighting, guns were never meant to be useful.

Back