Sleeping Dogs

I thought the commentators were the most entertaining part of the video...

All I got from the video is that I thought at certain points I was looking at Shenmue, then the combat started, and it looked a little like True Crime, or something of that sort. That or I think every game with Asians in it is one of those two.

On a side note, where is another Shenmue? Possibly the coolest game, ever.

Looks pretty good from what I've seen, I always enjoy those types of games. There's a 10% off the 49.99 price tag on it for pre purchases, but that is always risky.

I pre-ordered against my better judgment, but for $32.00 I thought I would take a gamble. Hopefully I dont end up with egg on my face.

All I got from the video is that I thought at certain points I was looking at Shenmue, then the combat started, and it looked a little like True Crime, or something of that sort. That or I think every game with Asians in it is one of those two.

There is a good reason you see True Crime.

The game was originally in development as Black Lotus but was announced in 2009 as True Crime: Hong Kong, the third installment and a reboot of the True Crime series. As a result of the game’s high development budget and delays, it was canceled by Activision in 2011. Six months later, it was announced that Square Enix had picked up the publishing rights to the game, but the game was reannounced as Sleeping Dogs in 2012 as Square Enix did not purchase the True Crime name rights.

From what I've seen this looks pretty interesting and quite decent.

The world looks pretty nice, combat looks fun, and the story points seem interesting enough.

The only thing I don't like is the assassin's creed syndrome, aka where 12938219 enemies will just sit and wait, attacking one at a time. It kills a bit of the excitement of surviving a 30 on 1 melee when they spent more time standing there getting butchered than actually... attacking you like they logically should.

From what I've seen this looks pretty interesting and quite decent.

The world looks pretty nice, combat looks fun, and the story points seem interesting enough.

The only thing I don't like is the assassin's creed syndrome, aka where 12938219 enemies will just sit and wait, attacking one at a time. It kills a bit of the excitement of surviving a 30 on 1 melee when they spent more time standing there getting butchered than actually... attacking you like they logically should.

I'm not clear on some of those videos and situations how tightly scripted it is but I share your general quibble there. ;)

Still looks like a lot of fun to be had here, though.

I was going to pull the trigger on a preorder but the latest preview from PC Gamer didn't fill me with confidence. They talked of linear missions and clunky melee combat. I like linear games and open world games but they shouldn't really mix.

I was going to pull the trigger on a preorder but the latest preview from PC Gamer didn't fill me with confidence. They talked of linear missions and clunky melee combat. I like linear games and open world games but they shouldn't really mix.

This? http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/sleeping-dogs-preview-2/

Mafia 2 and LA Noire were awfully scripted as well and they worked out for the way they handled themselves. This still has a lot more freedom and variety of things to do vs either of those games best I can tell.

Melee combat takes after Rocksteady’s Arkham Asylum games, although the version I played didn’t feel quite as fluid – unlike Batman, Wei Shen can’t snap instantly between enemies, so it’s easy to lose your combo by mis-timing a follow-up attack. Also unlike Batman, Wei Shen is perfectly willing to kill his enemies using a variety of brutal environmental takedowns.

Hell, I'm all for this. Arkham City set a new standard across the boards for a number of things so if games want to shamlessly borrow from that well they could do a LOT worse.

“If you are a more linear game, you’re gradually increasing the amount of open-world that’s in there,” he says. “If you’re more open-world focused, you are gradually increasing the amount of linear mechanics. The bar has been raised.”

We'll see. All I ask for is good balance, fun, and lots to do. :)

This? http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/sleeping-dogs-preview-2/

Mafia 2 and LA Noire were awfully scripted as well and they worked out for the way they handled themselves. This still has a lot more freedom and variety of things to do vs either of those games best I can tell.

Hell, I'm all for this. Arkham City set a new standard across the boards for a number of things so if games want to shamlessly borrow from that well they could do a LOT worse.

We'll see. All I ask for is good balance, fun, and lots to do. :)

All of this. I hope it's fun as hell.

It definitely has some potential. I like the driving and combat, but it of course looks a bit consolized. What isn't, I guess. I'll be interested to see how it reviews.

Here's a short video going over the PC version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZPe3aQrmg&feature=player_embedded

It definitely has some potential. I like the driving and combat, but it of course looks a bit consolized. What isn't, I guess. I'll be interested to see how it reviews.

Here's a short video going over the PC version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZPe3aQrmg&feature=player_embedded

They're saying the right things at least. Looks pretty good. Dx11 support and the works. Gamepad, KBM, Day 1 HD texture pack, increase density in game world, etc.

I think it's going to be a fun GTA like fix.

Looks horrible to me, especially in a over saturated market for this type of game.

I'm curious about this one. Lots of games hitting over the next 60 days, but this might be a nice one to pick up during the Steam sale around Christmas.

after seeing this video I started Googling the game...never heard of it before this but now I'm intrigued...the PC exclusive features such as DX11 support and high res texture pack sound nice...the game is definitely flying under the radar and could be a sleeper hit...a mish mash of Arkham City, GTA, Assassin's Creed etc can't be bad right?

$45 does seem a bit steep though...I'm probably going to wait for a price drop but I'll be keeping my eye on this one

after seeing this video I started Googling the game...never heard of it before this but now I'm intrigued...the PC exclusive features such as DX11 support and high res texture pack sound nice...the game is definitely flying under the radar and could be a sleeper hit...a mish mash of Arkham City, GTA, Assassin's Creed etc can't be bad right?

$45 does seem a bit steep though...I'm probably going to wait for a price drop but I'll be keeping my eye on this one

I find it perplexing that $45 for a triple-A, big name game is considered a bit steep in a world where a CoD rehash is released every year for $60 to millions of buyers with months of overpriced shit DLC afterwards.

I got to play the Xbox 360 version for a few hours. This game is amazing. The combat is fluid and extremely entertaining. There are tons of side missions and character customization. Day one buy for me.

I laughed at the keyboard and mouse support comment too. That's something which ought to be a given, though it should also be a given that controller is probably the better way to play these types of games.

That said, I had fun playing Assassin's Creed, Batman, and GTA with kb/m.

Maybe the qualifer should have been GOOD keyboard and mouse support. Maybe they mean fully remappable keys? Who knows?

The game's gonna be good. That's what I know.

I find it perplexing that $45 for a triple-A, big name game is considered a bit steep in a world where a CoD rehash is released every year for $60 to millions of buyers with months of overpriced shit DLC afterwards.

I don't consider this game a AAA title as it doesn't have the track record or franchise like other established games like Assassin's Creed, Max Payne or even CoD...adding DX11 support doesn't make a game AAA...this sounds more like an upstart game with franchise potential but they are charging too much for an unknown

games like Hard Reset, Alan Wake etc started out with a lower price at release...this should be priced accordingly (around $35)

I played at a friends, the game is leaked for Xbox.

*ubi mode* damn PC pirates!

.. err wait.

I don't consider this game a AAA title as it doesn't have the track record or franchise like other established games like Assassin's Creed, Max Payne or even CoD...adding DX11 support doesn't make a game AAA...this sounds more like an upstart game with franchise potential but they are charging too much for an unknown

games like Hard Reset, Alan Wake etc started out with a lower price at release...this should be priced accordingly (around $35)

Isn't this a continuation of the True Crime series?

*edit* I guess it started life as a reboot to the TC series. True Crime Hong Kong, but when the original dev cancelled and it was picked up again, the new dev didn't buy the naming rights to True Crime.

Last edited:
$45 for a new release in a market where the going price is $60 is hardly overpriced. Assuming the game doesn't suck outright, relatively speaking it's a fucking bargain.

$45 for a new release in a market where the going price is $60 is hardly overpriced. Assuming the game doesn't suck outright, relatively speaking it's a fucking bargain.

That's how I see it. It's got dark horse and sleep written all over it IMO based on everything we've seen and um...some of the "early feedback."

I'm confident in "not sucking."

Back