Skyrim Modding Megathread

Figured it out. They don't work if I start the game with Fraps running. I have to turn it off, but they keep working if I alt-tab and then turn fraps on.

I haven't seen this written anywhere. :rolleyes:

Figured it out. They don't work if I start the game with Fraps running. I have to turn it off, but they keep working if I alt-tab and then turn fraps on.

I haven't seen this written anywhere. :rolleyes:

I always run fraps and haven't run into an issue like this at all. :confused:

I'll remember to suggest to try disabling Fraps in the future if other users have problems. I defiantly hate being ignored when I have problems. dj_2004 has been a huge help to me in my quest to perfect my Skyrim visuals.

Doing a search here did not bring this one up. If it has already been posted, then enjoy the screenshots.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5253
OgzLJ.jpg

KaosA.jpg

v0ztm.jpg

This helped a lot:

NOTE - Be sure to set bFloatPointRenderTarget to 1 in your SkyrimPrefs.ini! If your game looks like you're walking on the surface of the sun this may be the reason (the mod is very bright in the daytime in clear weather to begin with.)

Monitor Calibration also has a lot to do with it Sadly. Modern LCD's can really be all over the place in terms of what you see, depending on the different monitor.

I generally calibrate my monitors (using methods popular for Photo enthusiasts) just so I can get reasonably close to what I think the designers of the game intended.

What looks great on one monitor, really can look quite awful on another (learned this the hard way by sharing color profiles between different screens). Which makes it really hard when trying to download/share good configs.

I found a good baseline FXAA_Injector config myself, and then tweaked it a little bit so It looked ok on my screen. Seemed to provide OK results. On my screen at the moment, most of the ENB shots look way too washed out.

For whatever reason I still really like the basic Sharpen shader/filter from the early Injector mod, and have kept with that.

Monitor Calibration also has a lot to do with it Sadly. Modern LCD's can really be all over the place in terms of what you see, depending on the different monitor.

I generally calibrate my monitors (using methods popular for Photo enthusiasts) just so I can get reasonably close to what I think the designers of the game intended.

What looks great on one monitor, really can look quite awful on another (learned this the hard way by sharing color profiles between different screens). Which makes it really hard when trying to download/share good configs.

I found a good baseline FXAA_Injector config myself, and then tweaked it a little bit so It looked ok on my screen. Seemed to provide OK results. On my screen at the moment, most of the ENB shots look way too washed out.

For whatever reason I still really like the basic Sharpen shader/filter from the early Injector mod, and have kept with that.

Which old version of the injector mod do you prefer to use, and with what preset if any? Thanks. There's probably dozens of FXAA/ENB/Shader mods now, I cannot keep up.

Thanks, Q-BZ. I'll probably grab that then.

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul look so much like vanilla (only nicer and sharper) that I wonder if he was a dev who wasn't allowed to put in the higher rest stuff in?

Wow.. I thought I'd check this out tonight and it's pretty good. Much better blending and transitions than Skyrim HD IMO. Thanks for posting this.

That looks really nice - not overdone like some of the texture packs.

Skyrim Realistic Overhaul look so much like vanilla (only nicer and sharper) that I wonder if he was a dev who wasn't allowed to put in the higher rest stuff in?

He used to, and perhaps still does, create mods for STALKER. He definitely isn't a Bethesda dev.

Thanks, Q-BZ. I'll probably grab that then.

Interesting. I'll have to try it out myself and compare. :)

This helped a lot:

NOTE - Be sure to set bFloatPointRenderTarget to 1 in your SkyrimPrefs.ini! If your game looks like you're walking on the surface of the sun this may be the reason (the mod is very bright in the daytime in clear weather to begin with.)

Still not good enough, way too dark at night. I switched back to the "default" ENB. If anyone knows what parameters I change in the .ini file to make nighttime not so dark I'll switch back to this one.

I never thought I'd bring this up since I have always liked the nexus, but at least the skyrim site seems to run on the most garbage server in existence. I know they allow premium access for pay, and I've subscribed before, but is that the only way to get decent speeds now? Depending on the time of day, the mod manager downloader won't work, or whatever page I try to load just spits out SQL errors everywhere, or the transfer speeds are abysmal. Sometimes the downloads won't even start and just time out with errors. I really wish there was another source that was as 'good' as the Nexus for mods. I keep finding new mods every day that I have to wait on downloading because the site is seemingly about to collapse on itself, and I can't even keep track of them anymore.

I never thought I'd bring this up since I have always liked the nexus, but at least the skyrim site seems to run on the most garbage server in existence. I know they allow premium access for pay, and I've subscribed before, but is that the only way to get decent speeds now? Depending on the time of day, the mod manager downloader won't work, or whatever page I try to load just spits out SQL errors everywhere, or the transfer speeds are abysmal. Sometimes the downloads won't even start and just time out with errors. I really wish there was another source that was as 'good' as the Nexus for mods. I keep finding new mods every day that I have to wait on downloading because the site is seemingly about to collapse on itself, and I can't even keep track of them anymore.

http://planetelderscrolls.ign.com/
http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/

Viable alternates I've used.

IME, the dragonling is still a bit buggy as enemies don't seem to hit them.

On that note, here is a dragonling carrying a giant :D:

And more mods:
Armored Nightingale:
There is some clipping with the armor + cloak on the back (I guess this happens with the original Nightingale too) but it is a nice looking armor that fits the battle mage look.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5645

Nightingale retex - Black Sacrament - craftable ninja armor:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5696

Last edited:
Hey all, I'll be picking up skyrim this week. Looking at the mods of this game is a little overwhelming , but I've been able to narrow it down by checking the skyrim nexus site as well as the first page of this thread.

This is what I've come up with so far: (keeping vanilla feel as much as possible):

Tools:
- Skyrim mod manager
- SKSE

Performance:
SkyBoost R3

UI:
- SkyUI

Sound:
Immersive Skyrim Thunder V4
The Sounds of Nature - Water

Graphics:
(There are tons of graphical mods, for the sake of my sanity, I'd like to limit them to an "all-in-one" mod if possible)
- Confident ENB (is this a mod or a set of files to be used with another mod??)
- No More Blocky Faces
- Glowing Ore Veins

One the fence about the following:
Skyrim HD 2k Textures
A Quality World Map with roads

I'd like to limit the number of mods, at least on a first playthough, to no more than 10. With that said, are there any "must-have" mods I should take a look at?

And more mods:
Armored Nightingale:
There is some clipping with the armor + cloak on the back (I guess this happens with the original Nightingale too) but it is a nice looking armor that fits the battle mage look.
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5645

Nightingale retex - Black Sacrament - craftable ninja armor:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5696

www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1896

I have no idea why they took it down but I was using this guy's "Nightingale Prime Leather Version and Cape Variants" mod and it's awesome. IMO the best Nightingale mod out there. I hope it gets restored or it's somewhere else.

This is the one thing I dislike about the Nexus even though I'm a Premium member. There's some kind of BS politics or something and if you don't dance to their tune a certain way this is what happens. It's very annoying. It's cost me a few mods over the course of several games and of course the authors get banned and there's no way to contact them after that.

The author's name is Satyr Zerofrost.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nightingale-prime-por-satyr-zerofrost

I think that's the same thing except Nexus had it up to version 2.0 which is what I have.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2260

^^ Those are the Dark Brotherood textures I'm rolling with.

I have no idea why they took it down but I was using this guy's "Nightingale Prime Leather Version and Cape Variants" mod and it's awesome. IMO the best Nightingale mod out there. I hope it gets restored or it's somewhere else.

This is the one thing I dislike about the Nexus even though I'm a Premium member. There's some kind of BS politics or something and if you don't dance to their tune a certain way this is what happens. It's very annoying. It's cost me a few mods over the course of several games and of course the authors get banned and there's no way to contact them after that.

The author's name is Satyr Zerofrost.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nightingale-prime-por-satyr-zerofrost

I think that's the same thing except Nexus had it up to version 2.0 which is what I have.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2260

^^ Those are the Dark Brotherood textures I'm rolling with.

I have a copy of the Leather Cape mod from the nexus that I got on Nov 30, 2011. Is there a newer one than that? I agree, I hate that the nexus has such a brutish "play ball our way or take a hike" approach to very talented modders.

I have a copy of the Leather Cape mod from the nexus that I got on Nov 30, 2011. Is there a newer one than that? I agree, I hate that the nexus has such a brutish "play ball our way or take a hike" approach to very talented modders.

I do, too. They do a lot of nice things but I've been burned more than once by it.

According to my files, it was December 19 when I downloaded version 2.0 of that Nightingale setup.

Crap, that means I don't have it.

I can try and send it to you if you want. PM me and we can see if we can pull it off somehow.

He had several variants if I remember right so I'm not sure if I have exactly what you want but it can't hurt none. :)

Tools:
- Skyrim mod manager
- SKSE

Performance:
SkyBoost R3

UI:
- SkyUI

Sound:
Immersive Skyrim Thunder V4
The Sounds of Nature - Water

Graphics:
(There are tons of graphical mods, for the sake of my sanity, I'd like to limit them to an "all-in-one" mod if possible)
- Confident ENB (is this a mod or a set of files to be used with another mod??)
- No More Blocky Faces
- Glowing Ore Veins

One the fence about the following:
Skyrim HD 2k Textures
A Quality World Map with roads

I think it depends on your system and what you're expecting. I intentionally keep my mods to a minimum so my GPU isn't over-taxed. I'm doing Eyefinity on a slightly OC'd 5850 and it works very well.

I use:

Nexus Mod Manager
Skyboost R3
Lush Grass
A Quality World Map with Roads
Skyrim Floral overhaul
SkyrimUWv0.91_0 (for fixing issues with Eyefinity)

Plus I increased the shadow softening, grass distance and added shadows to trees.

I consider the above must-haves that don't adversely affect game-play (no pauses, stuttering or CTDs), although I'm fairly certain I'm walking the edge by adding and increasing shadows.

I'm watching for an update to Skyrim Realistic Overhaul by Starac - once he fixes some things in that, I may use that. Although Skyrim HD just went to version 1.3. Both look pretty good, though I liked the former's looks better. The HD is more mature. Will use the light version of either.

The stock textures are just not good overall, due to inconsistencies. I would really prefer to keep the stock to maintain performance, but some areas are so circa 2000 it's necessary to upgrade the textures IMHO.

I did not like SkyUI, but, again, I'm spanning 3 monitors and it was just too much, versus the too little stock UI.

Character upgrades are not necessary to me. The characters are fine - except that when you strip a character of their clothes it's odd to see undies on them.

A saturation/filter upgrade would be nice, but I also understand that Bethesda is using colors in a way they think adds to the "story". Not a big deal, but more life-like colors would be nice. I've seen the mods/suggestions on that, but none have tipped the performance/results balance for me.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038096084&postcount=338 :)

I have copies of both his older and newer version. I now prefer the Armored Nightingale as I can see the details better and got bored of Prime.

And, AFAIK, the guy removed Prime, not Nexus. I think it was because other people were uploading his mod on other sites and he stated not to do that. There is a whole Nexus thread on the cause if you want to read about it.

This looks like another good retexture:
nightingale Phoenix:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5860

Last edited:
Thanks to Krenum from the Impressions thread for this. This has some serious promise IMO. Could be an ideal excuse for a replay.

Yea i kinda feel like abandoning my paladin right now to begin a career as a quicksilver miner ^_^

I love the beginning stages of rpgs where you're scraping by trying to find the littlest upgrade.

Back