Six Strikes Officially Begins On Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im going to keep torrenting, if i get any warnings from comcast, Ill fork over the extra $10-20 a month and use an offshore VPN and lower my comcast download speed to compensate.

I'm VPN'd like a mo'fo now. Let them come looking for me at the old New York Port Authority building. :)

Any recommendations? Heh... I guess that would depend on what you value (ease of setup with regard to firewall and eliminating DNS leaks, speed/reliability, anonymity (logs), etc... I personally don't need full anonymity I figure, so transparency and ease of setup would be paramount.

Any recommendations? Heh... I guess that would depend on what you value (ease of setup with regard to firewall and eliminating DNS leaks, speed/reliability, anonymity (logs), etc... I personally don't need full anonymity I figure, so transparency and ease of setup would be paramount.

Shop around. I ended up signing up for:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

$40/year, no logs (muy importante), no bandwidth caps (importante^2), lots of servers in different countries, and minimal impact on speed/ping. I pay for 20/2 TWC cable modem service, this is what I get over VPN at peak usage hours around here:

2530173108.png

I shopped around a bit. These folks were among the top VPN services recommended by Lifehacker and PCMag....they also have the best full-year subscription price. Catch being they don't have a dedicated Android app and the always-connect-to-VPN option in Android 4.2.x is broken presently...I finally managed to get it working with a bit of legwork via the OpenVPN app using THESE instructions:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...onfiguration-on-android-instead-of-pptp-ipsec

Once you've paid your dues, installed the client it takes a few minutes to select half a dozen prefs and connect. I was up and VPN'd in 5 minutes with zero confusion on my PC, Android took a bit of legwork though.

Well, i work for a large communications company (in a department that would hear about this, or at least how to handle it) and no one has said anything and there has been no internal communications about it in my department at all.

I see a major fault in all this, it is going to cost the ISP's money, lots of money. They have to monitor traffic more closely and update their detection methods quite often (which is going to be low priority). It involves more bodies and/or more time, increasing costs. We all know that if something increases costs, it isn't going to last long.

It might work good for a month or two until the detection algorithms are out of date and don't include new content.

The only way it won't cost the ISP's money is if the content owners are baiting and logging IP's, which won't stand up in court.

Well, i work for a large communications company (in a department that would hear about this, or at least how to handle it) and no one has said anything and there has been no internal communications about it in my department at all.

I see a major fault in all this, it is going to cost the ISP's money, lots of money. They have to monitor traffic more closely and update their detection methods quite often (which is going to be low priority). It involves more bodies and/or more time, increasing costs. We all know that if something increases costs, it isn't going to last long.

It might work good for a month or two until the detection algorithms are out of date and don't include new content.

Indeed. Its a stop gap solution at best. One thing we can always count on is corporate greed.

I wonder how long till VPN services become illegal, like torrent trackers. Both arn't designed for piracy, but both can be used for it.

If, after 6 warnings, you haven't done anything to fix your neighbor's hacking of your wifi, then I think there's not much of an argument.
Do the six warnings have to be on six different days?

Buddy got a red light ticket every single day for six days straight.

Problem was he was turning right on red, he thought legally, but it was hitting him on the way to work every morning. He wasn't informed of the problem until the first one was processed, and by then the chain of others was already behind it.

So your "six warnings", might be six simultaneous automated triggered alerts.

Do the six warnings have to be on six different days?

Buddy got a red light ticket every single day for six days straight.

Problem was he was turning right on red, he thought legally, but it was hitting him on the way to work every morning. He wasn't informed of the problem until the first one was processed, and by then the chain of others was already behind it.

So your "six warnings", might be six simultaneous automated triggered alerts.

The way the automated dmca takedown bots work, I wouldn't be suprised if you'd get flagged as P2P file sharing for simply posting the title of a movie/show, character in a movie/show, music artist, or the title of a song anywhere on the internet.

And you can forget posting memes and shopped photos, house representatives are going after those too.

Has anyone considered to not just mooch? Pretty sure that'll solve the problem.

can anyone link me to a good walkthrough of how to set up my own proxy(s)/VPN(s) at home? i am somewhat computer savvy but have never messed with this stuff at all. i do have a dedicated always-on server and am fine with building another small box to act solely as a router/firewall/etc if thats whats best. mostly i just dont want to pay a monthly subscription to a VPN service since i dont trust them. thanks in advance!

I wonder how long till VPN services become illegal, like torrent trackers. Both arn't designed for piracy, but both can be used for it.

Where are torrent trackers "illegal"? They aren't here in the US.

QUOTE=zero2dash;1039644006]http://www.peerblock.com/ ;)[/QUOTE]

That only helps if the people who are checking out the pools of seeders are using one of the blacklisted IP addresses. All they have to do is use an IP address that is not on the blacklist (like at home, on their residential cable modem) and you're busted.

Im going to keep torrenting, if i get any warnings from comcast, Ill fork over the extra $10-20 a month and use an offshore VPN and lower my comcast download speed to compensate.

That's kinda my plan at this point.

I love how people bitch about bad music/movies being the reason for low sales but then in turn are happy to pirate it, and then presented with something like this the response is "fuck them, I'm going to keep pirating, even if I have to pay for an offshore VPN to keep getting my free shit".

I agree that producers put out a lot of shit, I agree they suck the life out of artists (who agreed to it, mind you), I agree piracy isn't the devil, I agree stupid penalties for piracy are... well... stupid.

BUT, why is the response never "well fuck it, lets not pirate their shit and not buy it either!!", it's always "this is shit... I'm gonna keep pirating". :rolleyes:

I love how people bitch about bad music/movies being the reason for low sales but then in turn are happy to pirate it, and then presented with something like this the response is "fuck them, I'm going to keep pirating, even if I have to pay for an offshore VPN to keep getting my free shit".

I agree that producers put out a lot of shit, I agree they suck the life out of artists (who agreed to it, mind you), I agree piracy isn't the devil, I agree stupid penalties for piracy are... well... stupid.

BUT, why is the response never "well fuck it, lets not pirate their shit and not buy it either!!", it's always "this is shit... I'm gonna keep pirating". :rolleyes:

yes I am going to pirate because there is so much god damn garbage out there. When I find something I actually like, I ALWAYS buy it. If I don't like it, I delete it immediately. Most pirates are the same I think unless it's some kid still living at home with their parents.

But this doesn't include TV shows. I pirate those and give nothing back so I guess I'm still a piece of shit. I just can't stand to watch 18 minutes of commercials every hour while sending Comcast $250 a month.

People do pay for their content if its more convenient that way. For example, its easier to stream a movie or a tv show on Netflix than having to wait for it to finish downloading. There's also no ads on Netflix, so again my experience here is as good as torrenting a movie, while both are better than watching TV or DVD filled with ads. Because its more convenient on Netflix, I pay for Netflix instead of downloading them.

The movie industry needs to get on with times, and stop treating technology like its the devil of all devils. They should use modern distribution like Netflix to their advantage rather than trying so hard to fight against it.

Of course, it also helps to not act like a dick. With RIAA's behavior, I cannot and will not support them. If I want to support an artist, I'll go to their shows. Heck I've bought music from indie artist on sites like cdbaby.com, and I don't mind supporting that site too because I like what they are doing. If the RIAA insist on making enemies instead of fans, then its their loss.

This is not really about catching people infringing on a few song copyrights. The RIAA's biggest fear, it's biggest threat, is self publication. Everything they are working at right now, is aimed at hampering or eliminating this threat. I think they have it licked. The RIAA wants control of the internet so they can kick anyone they want off it. Even if only long enough for them to threaten someone with ridiculous lawsuits. They can't risk the next big thing self publishing. They have lined politicians pockets, purchased laws that are grossly anti consumer, engaged in fear campaigns, and used lawsuits as terror weapons.
At this point, I would resist everything they did, or tried to do. The, "You could try not mooching.", sentiment is rather silly. The system has changed from prove guilt to prove innocence. Simply "not mooching", is no protection. If you are accused, you are fucked, regardless of guilt.

People in this thread are disgusting. Full on entitlement attitude and Mememememe society in effect. You can justify whatever the hell bullshit you want, fact is you're breaking the law and regulations, and harming people in the process directly. Please at least be honest, you don't want to pay and you don't care about anyone but number 1.

Has anyone considered to not just mooch? Pretty sure that'll solve the problem.

I've mentioned this a few times. Good example of how I WON'T be raising my imminent'y birthed firstborn.

So would not waiting a year after the movie was in theaters to release it in Blu-ray.

Difference is, the movie companies have a right to hold on to their own property to increase its value when they do release it.

You don't have the right to mooch.

If you can't wait, can't afford it or are too lazy to save up, then you don't deserve it. (I don't necessarily mean YOU, specifically, just moochers in general.)

Just stop using torrents people. Switch to direct downloads. You can afford $10 a month if you can afford internets.

I've mentioned this a few times. Good example of how I WON'T be raising my imminent'y birthed firstborn.

Difference is, the movie companies have a right to hold on to their own property to increase its value when they do release it.

If you can't wait, can't afford it or are too lazy to save up, then you don't deserve it. (I don't necessarily mean YOU, specifically, just moochers in general.)

You say this as if the MPAA/RIAA won't rubber stamp and auto-send false positives regardless of the nature of torrent activity. They'll see the torrent protocol, and robo-rubber-stamp the complaint and not give a flip whether it is legit or not.

Just stop using torrents people. Switch to direct downloads. You can afford $10 a month if you can afford internets.

Catch being torrent protocol is simply better at maintaining file integrity, especially large files. I've never seen a Gigabyte-sized torrented file return a bad MD5 sum from what it was supposed to...unlike other protocols.

You say this as if the MPAA/RIAA won't rubber stamp and auto-send false positives regardless of the nature of torrent activity. They'll see the torrent protocol, and robo-rubber-stamp the complaint and not give a flip whether it is legit or not.
See, I don't get this argument now, or in the old system. The RIAA isn't just sending these things out to anyone. They aren't making IPs up out of the blue. How many people actually successfully defended RIAA suits in court? MAYBE a few percent.
The ISPs and the RIAA aren't in the business of wasting resources on false positives.

That said, I don't know what people are "legitimately" torrenting these days. Yea, there's the tongue in cheek 'linux distro' excuse, but no one on a home account is downloading that many to trigger this system. Besides, don't some game downloaders/updaters use torrent-like technology? That stuff hasn't gotten people in trouble before and I don't suspect it will all of a sudden.

See, I don't get this argument now, or in the old system. The RIAA isn't just sending these things out to anyone. They aren't making IPs up out of the blue. How many people actually successfully defended RIAA suits in court? MAYBE a few percent.
The ISPs and the RIAA aren't in the business of wasting resources on false positives.

That said, I don't know what people are "legitimately" torrenting these days. Yea, there's the tongue in cheek 'linux distro' excuse, but no one on a home account is downloading that many to trigger this system. Besides, don't some game downloaders/updaters use torrent-like technology? That stuff hasn't gotten people in trouble before and I don't suspect it will all of a sudden.

The hell they aren't. Go read on Google the huge false positives that have screwed the content owners who legitimately posted their own content, or had written consent to post someone else's content, and then had invalid DMCA takedowns posted-taking down their blogs and websites for months or years. The hell they don't.

People don;t successfully the lawsuits because how many Joe Public's have the $10,000 to pay a lawyer to defend them, and risk having the damages massively and ludicrously upped if they lose? Or they can settle out of court for $3,000. In light of that, no shit Sherlock, you'd be a dumbass to fight it in court and not settle.

I beta test ROMs for my Note2, and the only real way to share ROMs efficiently for free is torrenting...otherwise hours are wasted uploading, and hours spent downloading off a server that is bandwidth throttled to dial-up speeds for ROMs that are 1GB+ frequently with TouchWiz ROMs. Oh, and torrenting ensures file integrity first time and every time.

People in this thread are disgusting. Full on entitlement attitude and Mememememe society in effect. You can justify whatever the hell bullshit you want, fact is you're breaking the law and regulations, and harming people in the process directly. Please at least be honest, you don't want to pay and you don't care about anyone but number 1.

your papers please

It has been proven over and over again that the RIAA/MPAA are as corrupt as one can expect from a billion-dollar industry that still whines that it can't bend the entire nation to its control and monetize everything up to whatever hypothetical limit it can imagine. It doesn't take much to see the conflicts of interest (a-la Comcast owning Time Warner and fucking NBC!) and the petulant greed that leads to these kinds of policies. Patent and copyright cartels (and especially the obliteration of public domain and the public good) do more to stifle innovation than any of the miniscule boogeyman threats they're willing to ruin people's lives over.

ISPs should be resisting these tooth and nail and acting as "fat pipes", neutral in the content that their subscribers provide, and only interfering when presented with accurate court order (if that). 99% of flagged "infringement" cases do NOT have sufficient evidence to launch a suit, civil or criminal, but the media cartels have decided to bypass all of that with their millions of "john doe" attempts, then expecting their friends (or subsidiaries) in ISPs to provide the data to them without being compelled to do so by law!

We need to stop this at the source and completely transform our information infrastructure from one that benefits a handful of corporate overlords (who have increasingly become both content cartel owners and investors as well as telecom owners) to that which benefits We The People (who, conveniently enough have subsidized its creation at many times what it should cost!). We need to have stronger privacy and net neutrality regulations and we need to unfuck the entire copyright and patent system to serve the public good once again.

We need to have stronger privacy and net neutrality regulations and we need to unfuck the entire copyright and patent system to serve the public good once again.

Or people can stop mooching, and the problem goes away.

Also, though off topic and better left elsewhere I think... I would argue that for the most part, copyright and patent law is working precisely as designed.

Or people can stop mooching, and the problem goes away.

Also, though off topic and better left elsewhere I think... I would argue that for the most part, copyright and patent law is working precisely as designed.

consumers might consider reducing torrent use if the content industry were to stop breaking their products with fubar drm and recognize some rational interpretation of the fair use doctrine.

http://www.eternalcode.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pirate-vs-pay-484x500.png

consumers might consider reducing torrent use if the content industry were to stop breaking their products with fubar drm and recognize some rational interpretation of the fair use doctrine.

http://www.eternalcode.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/pirate-vs-pay-484x500.png
That's a flawed argument. The DRM is in place BECAUSE of pirating. Furthermore, a good portion of the market has shown that they are willing to deal with those DRM schemes (none of which are truly awful, at least the ones that have succeeded), and continue to pay for products that employ them (BluRays, DVDs, DRM-laden music, Ultraviolet etc).

And the Fair Use doctrine is ridiculously complicated, and can only be applied on a case by case basis. PLUS, it's an affirmative defense in court, not a right. i.e., fair use= I did violate the copyright/trademark, but my use fell under an exception.

If they want us to stop pirating perhaps make it just as convenient to buy. Let me pay $5-$10 to DOWNLOAD AND OWN a movie, and I will pay. Why is it that they're the only industry that is not forced to change their ways to stay in business, but instead have the power to force the consumers to change their ways? Screw them.

And they're not hurting. They're far from hurting. The amount of money they make is just absurd. We will not see even 1% of that money in our life time. They're not hurting.

As long as corporations insist on trying to own all culture people are going to resist.

plaintiff- I would bring to your honor's attention exhibit A, a photograph clearly showing the defendant wearing a black leather motorcycle jacket. It is well established that this style of garb is parcel to CBS-Paramount's Fonzi (tm) media property.

judge- And the defendant does not posses a Fonzi (tm) license?

plaintiff- No your honor.

judge- I can't really see for sure, is it possible this is a bomber style jacket?

plaintiff- No your honor, please examine exhibits B and C. The absence of any insulation or insignia clearly place this jacket within CBS-Paramount's intellectual property. The bomber style jacket is parcel to Disney's James Dean (tm) property.

judge- Well, it looks pretty clear cut to me...when are these dirty identity pirates going to learn? I find in favor of the plaintiff. [smacks gavel] What to we have next?

bailiff- Time-Warner vs. the rock band “ghost of Dick Vaughn” for unlicensed use of the flat fifth in their song “requiem for liberty”.

judge- We ought to be able to clear this before lunch, bring them in.

As long as corporations insist on trying to own all culture people are going to resist.

Silly child. Your pirate crap has nothing to do with oppression. And, culture? You are wanting to use theirs for entertainment for free, go make your own if you want to stop giving them influence.

lol sad because it's true.

IP laws are like sin. You sin every day no matter how hard you may try not to. It's impossible to go a day without infringing on something, as even the most absurd thing is probably copyrighted, trademarked, or patented by someone.

Even Happy Birthday is copyrighted! No, really! You are actually not allowed to sing that publicly. Copyright is actually getting just as bad as the sabbath back in Jesus's time (and even now in some places). Even Jesus himself pretty much said "screw this shit" and healed someone on the sabbath. But it was illegal!

Silly child. Your pirate crap has nothing to do with oppression. And, culture? You are wanting to use theirs for entertainment for free, go make your own if you want to stop giving them influence.

I would, but art has always been derivative, mixing and expanding previous work. In the age of magnetic tape, and now digital editing software, the mashup has become a form unto itself. There is nowhere to hide from these rent seeking landlords of culture.

I would, but art has always been derivative, mixing and expanding previous work. In the age of magnetic tape, and now digital editing software, the mashup has become a form unto itself. There is nowhere to hide from these rent seeking landlords of culture.

Try the sheetmusic industry, where most of the music ever printed is under copyright by someone somewhere...and the copyright owners choose not to commercially publish it thereby preventing it from ever being performed. And said publishers will go DMCA on your ass if you try to get your hands on or provide said music that they choose not to make commercially available.

There would probably be a hell of a lot less moochers if people were actually paid for their work these days, instead of the vast majority of the corporations out there forcing people to work like slaves for little pay while most of the profit is funneled into the pockets of high paid executives that get paid to delegate all that work to anybody but themselves.

Jeez you can always spot a Randian in a conversation by the constant "moocher" crap.

Plus it doesn't even really apply to this, an industry filled with super-wealthy corporate suits that want to triple-quadruple-quintuple dip on every consumer for every piece of music or movie.. Where they want you to be labeled a criminal if you don't pay as many times for the same product over and over as they demand, while forcing you to pay for so much garbage because you don't even get to know what your paying for ahead of time.

And on top of all of that, they have so much wealth they can just directly buy politicians and make the laws pretty much directly from their lawyers to the law books. A collection of people that are do deluded as to think that if nobody pirated, they'd be making more money than exists. They're wrong, because only Wall Street can do that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back