Six Months With The Steam Controller

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Yay, or nay? The article points out that the appeal of the controller stems from its layout customizability, but we’re just talking software there. The lack of a proper d-pad and offset controls urge me to just stick with my Xbox Elite controller.

…before you can play a game with the controller, you need to browse a number of configuration settings through Steam and find one that suits your style. Yes, it also means you that it doesn't end there: Once you find a config that works for you, it will no doubt need some tinkering. Yes, all of these things seem like obstacles to play. But configuring the Steam controller has become a surprising part of its appeal. It delivers the same kind of understated excitement you might get from assembling a custom gaming PC, or the kind of mild thrill that you might find in tweaking graphical settings to achieve the best image your rig can deliver.

I have 2 and they are great.
If you are coming from a good controller (and ok may the Xbox is a good controller ) it's either meh or not as good.

But fresh in as a pseudo kB+mouse and all kinds of tweaks is nice

I never use mine. I used it for a couple of days and was done with it by then. It's no where near as good as a dual shock 4 for me in any controller supported game. For using it as a KB/M type device replacement I find it fails at that also because I'd rather just use the KB/M than plug in the dongle and configure the steam controller. Maybe it would be good if I actually played my PC games on my HT system but I don't. I give it a really good grade as far as configuration goes. I love how easy it is to set up the profiles as you like even adding in those onscreen menus is actually a really nice touch. Still though overall I dislike the dpad touch pad and the buttons. The regular touch pad is OK but it makes the buttons feel out of place which is the main thing that makes me not want to use it. The paddle button on the grips are nice to have though. The other issues I have with it are the need for big picture mode is dumb that needs to go ASAP, and the other is the need to add a game/app to steam in order to use the controller with the game. I should be able to pick a config that doesn't use the onscreen stuff and it should work with any game even ones not run from the steam list.

I was close to buying one on the current Steam Summer Sale, but after reading reviews about poor quality and many people breaking theirs and having to deal with bad support I held back.
Ill wait until the 2nd generation and Ill hang on the my 360 controller for the time being.

I just haven't been able to get used to mine. I prefer my Xbox One controller.

The steam controller is really great. I've just ordered my third with another steam link. There just isn't a comparison to the capabilities the controller has and it works like a charm.

The steam controller is really great. I've just ordered my third with another steam link. There just isn't a comparison to the capabilities the controller has and it works like a charm.

Quite a recommendation for your 3rd post :p

It's sortof like reading an Amazon review from an account which has only ever written one review :p

Still enjoying mine. Not to say that it's flawless, of course. If there was a revision with larger face buttons and slightly smaller touch pads, I'd be all over it.

I like mine but I am not a person that uses a controller if keyboard and mouse is an option. Usually every time I try to use a controller it feels like I am trying to breathe through a straw. With the stream controller there are times I don't mind using it.

Different colors? Wahoo...

That's a nice, in-depth review, but the controller is entirely a matter of preference. And yes, it's nice to have the controller match the color scheme of my set up. I wasn't touting that as some superior advantage, it's just a nice option they're offering. I think the Steam controller is a good controller. I just prefer the Xbox controller as I'm used to it. You'll also notice I didn't bash the Steam controller in my post. It's worth it to try out both. If you're used to console gaming, you might like the Xbox controller better ... or you might not. Choice is a great thing.

The only games I find a controller good at are driving games because of the sticks. Otherwise controllers suck and they are slow. It's faster for me to input commands on the keyboard than to keep moving my thumb between buttons.

The only games I find a controller good at are driving games because of the sticks. Otherwise controllers suck and they are slow. It's faster for me to input commands on the keyboard than to keep moving my thumb between buttons.

Exactly my take. I'm always going to prefer keyboard and mouse... but for games like Rocket League, having a controller helps a lot. Some games are just better suited to a keyboard+mouse, some are just better with a controller. Mashing the two types of controls together seems like an exercise in futility to me.

I'm not sure what this configuration that everyone's talking about. I just loaded up a game I never played yesterday (just bought it in the Steam sale) and while the game was going, decided to use my controller. So I turned it on, and started playing. It worked just fine.

Also, I found using a controller in Sleeping Dogs to be mandatory. It's actually the first time I ever used one, and I actually found the game easier to play because of it. For reference, I've been using a keyboard since the early 80s. Yes, keyboard, not typewriter. And for a game to play better with a controller after all those years of experience, says something about how it was designed.

I've had my for a month and I absolutely love it

So far it's mainly dark souls 3,2 and 1 but I can't go back to a xbox360 controller

Surprisingly the best feature are the finger paddles on the back.

I can play dark souls without having to move my right thumb from the camera stick to the xyab buttons.

They've designed the steam controller to overcome the basic limitation of the Xbox 360/1/PS3/ps4 controllers that your thumb no longer has to choose between the right stick and the xyab buttons :)

Absolutely love it!! Customization aside this is the single reason you would want to get it because after playing like that for a while going back to the Xbox 360 controller feels so limiting and handicapping

Not planning on buying it or replacing my Elite, but sounds like's its good for a first entry into the market, especially with new ideas which couldn't have been easy to execute on. I'm glad they released it and look forward to version 2.

I've had one for a while. When I'm sitting at my PC to play games (which is 99% of the time I use it), I prefer a keyboard and mouse. For some rare games, I will use an Xbox 360 controller.
I also own a Steam Link - I have this hooked up to a projector. I use my Steam Controller when I play games on it - it works good for that. I've got a second controller on order so I can play with my kids on the projector. Nothing like a good family game of Worms.

I keep remembering this when someone brings up the steam controller :(

g29sP5q.jpg

I liked the controller quite a bit when I used it but the domed buttons kill it for me. Played one match of PES with it and my thumb was too sore to play any more. They need to level them a bit or go completely flat like the PS4 controller.

I got mine not too long ago. I mostly use it to control my media PC and surf the web when I'm using the projector in the living room. Keyboard+Mouse will always be preferable in pretty much all games, but it's good enough for casual play.

So I have the controller and a STREAM as well and in a weird twist I am using both all the time. My wife and I will play some of the telltale games before bed and it is a perfect fit for that situation. Definitely not a twitch game though so the controller is kind of moot for this argument.

Yar, I have a Steam controller as well. Can't say I've used it extensively, I tried to play Fallout 4 with it, and it worked well enough. I much prefer a haptic touchpad for mouse-like aim versus an analogue stick.

Tried playing Darksiders 2 with it, and really didn't like the feel of the front XBYA buttons (too small). I would've preferred a gamecube-style two larger action buttons there.

With that all said, I inherited a Xbox One controller from my son and really enjoy using that on my PC for gamepad gaming. So, my Steam Controller is very much being neglected atm.

Yar, I have a Steam controller as well. Can't say I've used it extensively, I tried to play Fallout 4 with it, and it worked well enough. I much prefer a haptic touchpad for mouse-like aim versus an analogue stick.

Tried playing Darksiders 2 with it, and really didn't like the feel of the front XBYA buttons (too small). I would've preferred a gamecube-style two larger action buttons there.

With that all said, I inherited a Xbox One controller from my son and really enjoy using that on my PC for gamepad gaming. So, my Steam Controller is very much being neglected atm.
It's usually easiest to use for ported console games. But using a console controller for a ported console game seems to work the best for me. The prefer the Dual Shock or Xbox controller over the Steam controller, personally.

Still enjoying mine. Not to say that it's flawless, of course. If there was a revision with larger face buttons and slightly smaller touch pads, I'd be all over it.

I think you're onto something. I would also like an option to swap out the analog for a d-pad. Maybe, a hot swappable option. That's my main issue. Overall, I love the controller and it's replaced my 360 one as my primary.

Gotta love the PC and it's control options. You're not stuck with one method. You can choose!

So I've been using it pretty regularly when I play GTAV for driving portions, but that is about the only type of game I use a controller for and then I mostly use the analog stick. The software is buggy to the point that if you alt+tab out of a game, there is a chance of coming back to the game and not having your control scheme working when you go back to the game, not to mention for the longest time you could only edit the controller in Big Picture mode, which I absolutely hate (same thing with media controls). I'm waiting for an update to the Elite Controller to Bluetooth 4.0 (like the base controller is in fall) before I update my controller again, but for now the Steam Controller is a bust, I still prefer the 360 wireless controller for playing in the living room on my Steam Link.

I still love my Steam Link, but there really hasn't been a true solution for playing PC games in the living room yet that doesn't involve me hauling a mechanical keyboard and mouse into the living room, both the turret and the Corsair solution aren't perfect yet and Steam is selling USB pass through as a $20 add on.

Back