Singularity

Xenomaniac

[H]ard|Gawd
Worth the buy? I remember seeing this in a game magazine that a friend had. Looked cool but didn't know it got released.

A lot of people said it was mediocre. I picked it up on Steam cause it was $10. One of these days, i'll get to it.

I picked it up and I think I'm most of the way through the game. It's a solid title. Nothing amazing, but it does a few interesting things, and for $10 it's definitely worth it.

most peeps said it was worth $10, so I bought it too.... However I don't know when I get to it... ;)

Game sucks until you get the TMD, and then it's fairly decent. Waaaaayy too long before you get the TMD though, IMO.

It has a so so start. It has the limits of bulletstorm and unreal engine in general. I'm not talking about special features; but if you play far cry for example there is an openness in the mechanics that does not exist with engines like unreal and quake series (including quake 4). It has to do with how you interact with the environment.
-
I'll finish it - it'll give me something to do with cdproject cleans up their mess with witcher1/witcher2 activiation/dlc.
-
And it was only $10 :)

The game starts off slow and then suddenly takes off. At $10 it really is a no brainer if you want a good single player FPS that tells an interesting story and broadly salutes some other FPSs in the process.

I actually was pleasantly surprised by it. I paid $35 for it several months back and had no regrets.

The parallels to Bioshock are pretty obvious. I remember enjoying the game, though I also remember getting bad motion sickness before tweaking the FOV.

IMO, worth $10

I am enjoying the crap out of it for 10 bucks. its a bit cheesy but overall its entertaining. its nice to play a game that is more than just constant mindless shooting. you can both attack and defend yourself in various ways so its fun just to see what enemies are around the next corner.

It's solid enough but unremarkable. The potential was there for something a lot more interesting.

Not to necro this thread but I finally got around to playing this game the other night. Despite the flaws in the Unreal engine I would have to say I am very pleased with this game. It's got a good story, solid mechanics, and keeps a good flow going. Not once have I gotten bored in the 4-5 hour of gameplay so far.

This was well worth the $10 I spent.

I wish the game volume could go higher or there were subtitles. This is the first game I've ever played where I had to increase my entire system's volume so I could hear the damn game...lol

Basically, I enjoyed it but felt it was under-developed. If id hadn't drug their feet for six years, they could have built it on the Rage engine and it would have been a world of difference.

For $10 it's well worth it. Like people said, it does have a slow start, then you get the TMD and it starts to be a lot of fun. Could have been amazing given some time but misses the mark in some areas.

No care, No play.

Thank you for this insightful post. I shall print it and hang it on my wall so I may gaze upon it every day and always remember.
Basically, I enjoyed it but felt it was under-developed. If id hadn't drug their feet for six years, they could have built it on the Rage engine and it would have been a world of difference.
id had nothing to do with this game, so I don't know what you're on about.

I just started with it. There seem to be more then meets the eye. At first it just screamed generic. There was just nothing that hasn´t been done before and often better. But well I know Raven and they tend to be solid performers so decided to stick around. I almost feel sorry because they are so often close to match the best at same time but never quite get there.

But yes after a slow start I am really getting into it and it does get more fun when you pass the tutorial bit as always. I have to applaud them for making a challenging fps. This was not expected particularly due to it being a console first title! I started playing on hard and wel well this will be like easy in the old days but I found myself running around without ammo and redoing one sequence 10 times because my old camping tactics just don´t work in this title since you can´t cover like a pussy and well they will shoot you on sight ;)

10$ already feel I got the worth for that. It´s fun playing around time will be interesting how much they will get out of it.

As for sound it´s weirdly distant. Thought it was something with my setup but yes you do feel like you have to crank the volume up a lot due to that. Don´t know if they aimed for a larger soundstage or something. The weapons are solid but the sound effects make them a bit whimpy as well.

But well graphics/sound is just something you have to get used to. It´s not what make good gameplay though it does help the immersion factor.

Bump.

I'm playing this now and I have no idea why this title got lost in the field. It seems to me like it's the type of title that everybody laments the loss of around here. Solid if not spectacular gunplay, cheesy scifi-ish story, non-regenerating health, old school mechanics (ie lack of cover system)...

It reminds me of the SP for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. How is this a bad/mediocre game???

I just finished it and I loved it.
I'm going to play it again, something I hardly ever do.

I feel like it was way underrated. It's much better than a lot of games that are around now.
I would buy Singularity 2 in a heartbeat.

The story was great, graphics,gameplay and everything else was fine.
I went back and played out the 3 different endings a few times-cool.
I even watched the credits.

For $10 on Steam it's a no brainer

I agree. This game has been underrated and overlooked. It starts out slow and underwhelming and then it starts taking off. If you want a solid and satisfying single player FPS cheap to play in between more serious and time consuming big games I think this is an ideal choice.

Bump.

I'm playing this now and I have no idea why this title got lost in the field. It seems to me like it's the type of title that everybody laments the loss of around here. Solid if not spectacular gunplay, cheesy scifi-ish story, non-regenerating health, old school mechanics (ie lack of cover system)...

It reminds me of the SP for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. How is this a bad/mediocre game???

Yep, I was bored with all modern games. Tried Bioshock, Serious Sam 3, latest Deus Ex and nothing kept my attention long enough.

Now I decided to try Singularity and what a good surprise! Excellent shooter with excellent gun play mechanics. Sci fi game like Half Life 2. Excellent colorful graphics.

Cannot stop playing it!

Yep, I was bored with all modern games. Tried Bioshock, Serious Sam 3, latest Deus Ex and nothing kept my attention long enough.

Now I decided to try Singularity and what a good surprise! Excellent shooter with excellent gun play mechanics. Sci fi game like Half Life 2. Excellent colorful graphics.

Cannot stop playing it!

Too many games to play right now but I'll try to get around to it someday I keep telling myself :D

Yeah I had fun with this one as well. Don't know if I'll ever get around to playing through it again but I recommend it.

Only got half way through the game so far, but I have got to say I really like it.
Definitely has a Bioshock feel to it. Also an eerie Myst vibe at some points.

I found myself running around without ammo and redoing one sequence 10 times because my old camping tactics just don´t work in this title since you can´t cover like a pussy and well they will shoot you on sight ;)

Yeah, I have couple of places on hard where I needed to repeat the same corridor like 20 times before I understand the right tactics. Enemies indeed do shoot on sight without warning and if you are careless you are dead.

But the funny thing is that I usually hate repetitions like that but in Singularity it was fine because shooting mechanics and enemies are so enjoyable that I had nothing against killing them over and over again.

The only enemy I dislike are the orange bugs swarms. Those are pain in the ass.

Game if perfect, I recommend it to anyone.

I liked it, was fun but didn't last long. Finished in 11 hours according to Steam. Would buy again if I had to do it over.

I bought the game at its release and never played it. Knocked it out in 9 hours this last weekend in a few sittings, so did my son. I wish I would have played it on a harder skill level though. I enjoyed it and was worth my time. I see that it is $7.49 on Steam today. Surely worth the cash. Its Metascore is dead on, maybe a tad bit low.

I'd give it an 8/10 I think I posted a detailed review on here at some point. Same as Kyle I just finished it Earlier this year and it holds up pretty well. Mostly the story and pacing are well done. At its core its a clone of Half-Life 2 with Time travel elements in its story and combat. I think the only reason I'm hesitant to give it a glowing review is there's a crazy time ape enemy that really annoyed me. Kind of like those ape things in Metro 2033 at the end. the mechanics are there for the fight to be interesting but it ends up just sucking.

But yeah I can easily recommend this at $7.49 I think I paid $10. Graphics not dated yet. To be honest it still looks better than a lot of games out at the moment. Ah I did http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1770533&highlight=singularity

I played it at release and I think it's totally worth the current asking price. Raven did a good job.

Graphics are nice, though there were some bugs with texture streaming. Unlike in RAGE, sometimes textures would never load completely, making the game look on par with Quake 2 using picmip 5. Not a biggie, though.

Gameplay is fun, weapons are fun, foes are fun shooting at. Wondering around the levels proved useful for me as there are lots and lots of secrets. Collecting "gold" gives access to nice upgrades.

Doors tend to close the moment you go through and don't look at them. That is my main complaint.

It is fun; and for $8 fine i guess; but it is also short and after playing twice I can't really see a reason to paly again (unless there is a sequel and I desire to remember what happeend in the first game).
-
What I really liked was when these games were a bit longer....

Back