Single Software License Shared 774,651 Times

Haha, my thoughts exactly. MSE is a game changer for consumer virus protection. No longer am I forced to purchase anti-virus software for my home PCs and/or maintain a maintenance license.

NOD32 is still better than MSE, at least detecting 1 trojan from installing that I was playing with. MSE let the trojan install and then the trojan disabled MSE.
NOD32 blocked it from the get go.
It was the thinkpoint trojan.

MSE is NOT free

you need to have a valid and checked Windows installation, so somehow you do end up paying for the privilege of running MSE

I didn't see a guidelines of what MS considers a small business, but I think even medium/larger companies would be okay installing 10 licenses as long as it's not an enterprise O/S (kind of pointless if you don't have a standard for all of your computers though):

b. Small Business. If you operate a small business, then you may install and use the software on up to ten (10) devices in your business.

c. Restrictions.

i. The software may not be used on a device running an enterprise version of a Microsoft Windows operating system.

ii. The software may not be used on devices owned by government or academic institutions.

MSE is NOT free

you need to have a valid and checked Windows installation, so somehow you do end up paying for the privilege of running MSE

Not true. When I was running an unregistered version of win 7 during the first 30 days (trial period) while waiting for a non counterfit copy (they tried to sell it as a real copy too...), I was able to run MSE as it passed genuine validation, during that 30 day period. I technically didn't pay anything for that time.

You could argue that any freeware isn't free, unless it comes on a free computer as you paid for the computer to run it. Also, it wears down your CPU and RAM so youll need a new one. Furmark is "free", but it costs you wear and tear on your GPU/PSU and electricity.

But the retail price of MSE is $0 so that makes it free.

NOD32 is still better than MSE, at least detecting 1 trojan from installing that I was playing with. MSE let the trojan install and then the trojan disabled MSE.
NOD32 blocked it from the get go.
It was the thinkpoint trojan.

Yeah ESET's antivirus products are nice. Smart security has a great firewall and runs with a low footprint.

Also, for pretty much anything you're not sure about, you should run in a sandbox. I almost never even web browse without a sandbox.

i want to know what company in AZ the original license came from - i would be a little reluctant to do business with them as who knows what else they may be sharing - especially if they are a PC repair firm - your dat acould be blasted all over the world.

I was using MSE all the time, as well as Zone Alarm, then when I found out I can use Norton 360 for free through Comcast (my $160+ had better give me more than a 6Mb connection and over 500 channels of shite, and a land line), I switched, also got rid of my system clock losing time, while running anything other than just the OS.

I was using MSE all the time, as well as Zone Alarm, then when I found out I can use Norton 360 for free through Comcast (my $160+ had better give me more than a 6Mb connection and over 500 channels of shite, and a land line), I switched, also got rid of my system clock losing time, while running anything other than just the OS.

Norton....no. not ever.

Pretty sure if Microsoft were to release statistical information about Windows XP they'd show that the original "Devil's Own" VLK had to have been used several million times after XP came out. That one, the old FCKHW key, was leaked before XP even hit store shelves and spread like wildfire and then continued to spread for about 2 years before it was finally blacklisted and stopped working.

Millions of times... ;)

more than

(grammar nazi) ;)

But then that means you're implying almost all of those 775k people are unaware that MSE is free. Maybe Steve implied that only most of them were unaware, so only almost 3/4 million of them and not more than that. :p

You two are being overly pedantic. Almost means very nearly, as in not exactly three quarters of a million. Almost does not necessarily indicate less than, only usually.

Pedantic or not, they are correct in pointing out the flaw in the original post.

Almost is defined as very nearly or slightly short of. In either case, you can't reason it to mean something greater than the amount originally referenced.

For example: With $999,500, I almost have enough money to make me a millionaire.

is much more appropriate than:

With $1,000,001, I almost have enough money to make me a millionaire.

How's that that for being overly pedantic? :p

MSE is NOT free

True, but at that point the cost of purchasing Windows is a sunk cost, and as such does not factor into the equation.

Unless - of course - you pirate Windows, which we don't condone here.

MSE is NOT free

It runs fine on my laptop with no serial key and just rearmed every 30 days.

As for the "why" I am sure that there are some out there that think:

Running the free version of Avast = Noob
Running a pirated version of Avast Pro = 1337

I love how my ISP has its own anti-virus software so I don't need to worry about any of this.

Depends what it is. If its norton or macaffee or kaspersky, then yes, yes you do.

Also anti virus never fully protects anyone. Just don't use the internet, its what I do, and recommend any of my facebook using associates do.

MSE is NOT free

According to others I've talked to, this is 100% false.

Windows 7 w/ MSE has been seen by me.... that kind, yes (no, It wasn't me cause I don't use MSE for obvious reason pointed out above regarding trojans)

Depends what it is. If its norton or macaffee or kaspersky, then yes, yes you do.

Also anti virus never fully protects anyone. Just don't use the internet, its what I do, and recommend any of my facebook using associates do.

If you don't use the internet then how did you come here and post? Still use my MSE with a shot of mbam on the weekend to double check matters.

I noticed the same thing (see above post) ;)

Time to send Steve back to 4th grade. :D

/grammar nazi fail #12 in this thread

All you people claiming to be grammar nazis are not being funny this time... it wasn't a mistake when he said over 775,000........ notice he said IN OTHER NEWS, meaning he could be talking about a whole other number regarding a totally different antivirus program.

He could have said 2 billion and it still would have made perfect sense... YOU WANNABE NAZI YOU! :D

If you don't use the internet then how did you come here and post? Still use my MSE with a shot of mbam on the weekend to double check matters.

I'm behind 7 proxies...:p One of which is a orphan in albania who hand types out the binary from my telegrams and enters them into a hacked interwebs terminal. He has been trained to identify and ignore malicious code on the incoming interwebs.

It is licensed through F-Secure, and the firewall blocks everything unless I tell it not too. It isn't annoying because once I tell it not to bother me about my usual programs, the only things it ends up blocking is malware.

Not true. When I was running an unregistered version of win 7 during the first 30 days (trial period) while waiting for a non counterfit copy (they tried to sell it as a real copy too...), I was able to run MSE as it passed genuine validation, during that 30 day period. I technically didn't pay anything for that time.

You could argue that any freeware isn't free, unless it comes on a free computer as you paid for the computer to run it. Also, it wears down your CPU and RAM so youll need a new one. Furmark is "free", but it costs you wear and tear on your GPU/PSU and electricity.

But the retail price of MSE is $0 so that makes it free.

It runs fine on my laptop with no serial key and just rearmed every 30 days.

According to others I've talked to, this is 100% false.

Windows 7 w/ MSE has been seen by me.... that kind, yes (no, It wasn't me cause I don't use MSE for obvious reason pointed out above regarding trojans)

Piracy is pretty rampant around here, even to the point of using pirated XP when the COA sticker/key is right on the side of the damn pc.

I run MSE on any PC I can install it on. when it came out I remember it made you run a WGA check to make sure it was legit before installing. made it a hassle for 'trial' windows

I just tried it on a spare PC and 'trial' XP, and it installed fine, huh. glad to see that 'check' is gone

Zarathustra[H];1036537432 said:
True, but at that point the cost of purchasing Windows is a sunk cost, and as such does not factor into the equation.

Unless - of course - you pirate Windows, which we don't condone here.
You forgot to add "wink, wink" and "cough, cough" to the end of your post. :p

Back