Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

So, this is pretty strange: I'm using my sx600 on my gigabyte z87n board for a week now and always noticed this tedious buzzing sound it makes when the pc is powered off but still plugged into a power outlet. Turns out disabling ERP in the bios fixes this problem. Does anyone know the reason behind it?

ERP lowers the maximum power used in standby state to absolute minimum. It's then unfortunate that the exact current going through the standby circuit is causing some coil to resonate.

If you can isolate which component it is (e.g. maybe you can use a dB measuring app on your phone) then you can drop some hot glue on it to dampen the noise.

SilverStone SX600-G (80mm fan)
Idle: 30.4 dB
Load: 33.2 dB

Dirac TESLA CUBE (92mm fan)
Idle: 42.0 dB
Load: 42.1 dB

Yikes! That rules the Tesla Cube out (at least with the stock fan). :eek:

Also of note, Dirac's casing depth is 120mm, so it won't fit a 120mm fan.

True. Could sand the fan frame down a little and it should fit without weakening it too much, but it's far from optimal of course. It'll have to be the absolutely last resort.

Oh, and don't get me wrong. The SX600-G is a seriously impressive piece of kit!

Nice find on the fan!

Just to come back to this. I didn't think that fan was a good option. Operating range is from 7V, which the PSU doesn't reach. Need a very precise operator amplifier to get it in the right places.

Surely there's a high quality 5V fan to be found that tops out around 2500rpm?

Of course it could easily turn out that Silverstone have found the only real option.

Of course it could easily turn out that Silverstone have found the only real option.

Considering how long it took them to release, that is a very good possibility.

Played a few minutes of BF4 with everything at Ultra at 2560x1080 and was getting around 130 FPS while drawing ~350W :D

Yes, 980s are excellent :p

But, any reasons not to use a 5V fan apart from the 3 things you linked?

Yes, 980s are excellent :p

Alright, I'll try to quit bragging about them ;)

But, any reasons not to use a 5V fan apart from the 3 things you linked?

Only that the starting voltage will probably be low enough that it never shuts off. That's not too big a deal though since the stock fan doesn't ever really shut off anyway.

Got my SX600-G today, and have now been running it for a couple of hours.

On standby it emits an extremely high pitch whine (similar to old crt tv sets), but it's faint and drops off about 1 meter away or so. That would only really matter if I were trying to sleep next to it, which I don't.

At very low loads I can hear very weak coil whine when putting my ear right up to it, but it drops off completely about 10 cm away, so that's also a non-issue for me.

At normal semi-idle loads the fan always spins, but slowly and I can't distinguish it from where I'm sitting (about 1 meter away, with the psu fan facing away from me). The ST45SF-G v2.0 was annoyingly loud in comparison.

At high loads (GTX 780 Ti + FurMark and i7 4770K + Linpack), the fan in my GTX 780 Ti reference cooler drowns everything else out. Can't hear the SX600-G. The ST45SF-G v2.0 was horribly noisy in comparison, not drowning everything else out but definitely being the major noise contributor.

All good then? Well... not really. As has already been reported by many, the fan produces a gritty rattling noise, presumably from the ball bearings. Where I'm sitting I can't hear it, but when facing the psu fan towards me, I can hear it more than 1 meter away.

Edit: forgot to mention that I have 230V mains.

Edit again: forgot to mention that I'm running it in my M1, facing towards the side panel. And I have a Demciflex filter covering the intake.

Last edited:
Only that the starting voltage will probably be low enough that it never shuts off. That's not too big a deal though since the stock fan doesn't ever really shut off anyway.

As has already been reported by many, the fan produces a gritty rattling noise, presumably from the ball bearings. Where I'm sitting I can't hear it, but when facing the psu fan towards me, I can hear it more than 1 meter away.

This. Would gladly sacrifice a "semi-fanless" feature that doesn't effectively work, for a higher quality fan that doesn't sound chattery.. albeit at a very quiet dB.

Would be awesome to have both, though.

Was poking around on Mouser and found this

Model #109P0805M702, it's a 80x15mm Sanyo Denki, 5V and 2000 RPM and it's $10 :)

It's not listed on the manufacturer's website anywhere but it appears to be a 5V version of the 109P0812M701

The 109P0812M701 is rated for 12V but has a listed operating voltage of 7-13.8V so I assume the 109P0805M702 will be fine running at 5.5V.

I have several Sanyo Denki fans and the bearing noise is definitely audible at close distances. I'll need to carefully test one tomorrow to see if it chatters but I don't remember anything but bearing and air noise.

Their fans come with stupidly thin wire leads though, 24awg :mad:

Edit: Had some stuff I was wanting to order from them anyway so went ahead and got one to test.

Last edited:
Was comparing the stock SX600-G flex cables versus the PP05-E cables for another member, to see which were shortest. Does this info look correct?

PP05-E

20+4pin ATX Mobo (350mm)
EPS/ATX12V 8pin(4+4) connector (350mm)
PCI-E 8pin(6+2) (350mm)
PCI-E 8pin(6+2) + PCI-E 6pin (350mm+50mm)
SATA 90° + SATA 90° (350mm+50mm)
SATA 180° + SATA 180° (300mm+150mm)
SATA 180° + SATA 180° + SATA 180° + slimline-SATA (300mm+150mm+150mm+150mm)
4pin + 4pin + slimline-SATA (300mm+100mm+100mm)
4pin + 4pin + floppy (350mm+100mm+100mm)

SX600-G

20+4pin ATX Mobo (300mm)
EPS/ATX12V 8pin(4+4) (400mm)
PCI-E 8pin(6+2) + PCI-E 8pin(6+2) (400mm+150mm)
SATA 90° + SATA 90° + SATA 90° + SATA 90° (300mm+200mm+100mm+100mm)
4pin + 4pin + floppy (300mm+200mm+200mm)

First of all.. who the hell is still using floppy drives? And in ITX builds?? :D

Took all the above info direct from Silverstone and cleaned it up (for readability, and to remove an SX600 4pin+4pin that doesn't exist). The only cable I'm using from the SX600 is the shorter 24pin mobo cable.

If I did my math correctly, you can remove almost 2-feet of cabling from your build by using the PP05-E set! Def still worth the $30.

*EDIT 3/21/16 (LAST FORUM UPDATE TRASHED MY ORIGINAL POST)

Last edited:
Considering how long it took them to release, that is a very good possibility.

Played a few minutes of BF4 with everything at Ultra at 2560x1080 and was getting around 130 FPS while drawing ~350W :D
Argh that's insane. Insanely good. Insanely efficient.

Had some stuff I was wanting to order from them anyway so went ahead and got one to test.

I saw this one as well, and indeed it's discontinued, so maybe unsuitable as general recommendation.

First of all.. who the hell is still using floppy drives? And in ITX builds?? :D

Some fan controllers use the floppy drive type plug. Easy to snip off :)

Can you see the AWG of the PCIe 8+8 on the SX600-G? Or is it without markings?

I saw this one as well, and indeed it's discontinued, so maybe unsuitable as general recommendation.

They have 10 left in stock now and 50 on order for delivery in November. So if it turns out to be suitable there should be time for people here to snag one. Don't know if they ship internationally though.

Can you see the AWG of the PCIe 8+8 on the SX600-G? Or is it without markings?

It's 18awg.

Argh that's insane. Insanely good. Insanely efficient.

Yeah, Nvidia knocked it out of the park with this one. I've been running only AMD cards since 2009 but these convinced me to switch since the rumors seem to indicate the top-end R9 300s series will be big, hot chips.

Last edited:
On standby it emits an extremely high pitch whine (similar to old crt tv sets), but it's faint and drops off about 1 meter away or so. That would only really matter if I were trying to sleep next to it, which I don't.
I've noticed this whine as well. Like you say, it's quite high pitched and seems to drop off quickly. Thankfully I can't hear it from my bed, and when I'm at my desk the computer is usually running, not off.

I haven't actually been able to hear the fan yet, although I haven't tried very hard. When gaming my 980 dominates noise wise, and when idle the fan is spinning quite slowly.
Their fans come with stupidly thin wire leads though, 24awg :mad:
What's wrong with that? It's capable of safely handling an order of magnitude more current than a fan will draw.

5V, 2100 rpm, sleeve bearings
... and nine blades ... but maybe too slow?

New idea: since the AD0812UB-D91 has the right profile, and the main issue with it is the bearing noise, why aren't we just searching for the hydro version? AD0812UX-D91

at the moment, i have no idea what you guys are talking about. But am still following the thread in case I need to put in another fan :)

No, I think some company had ordered some, used in whatever product, and dumped the rest on the Chinese second-hand market. The reason to get this one, is just to compare hydro noise with ball-bearing noise, in a similar product.

If it's good, then I think what we actually need is the AD0812UX-D96(T).

What's the difference? According to their model number scheme the 6 is "By transistor with speed sensor (FG)". Is it a thermally controlled version? The PDF doesn't say.

Sorry I did a search and couldn't find it. I'm putting the SX600 in an NCASE, can anyone tell me if it's better to exhaust in/outside of the case? The fan is exhaust correct?

It's a pain to crimp, at least with the crimpers I have.
Ah, that makes sense.
Sorry I did a search and couldn't find it. I'm putting the SX600 in an NCASE, can anyone tell me if it's better to exhaust in/outside of the case? The fan is exhaust correct?
The fan is intake. People run it both ways. The logic is that A) With the fan out you're sucking cool air into the PSU or B) With the fan inside a side mounted 120mm fan will provide some airflow and reduce the PSU's fan speed or even keep it from spinning up.

Last edited:
The fan is intake. People run it both ways. The logic is that A) With the fan out you're sucking cool air into the PSU or B) With the fan inside a side mounted 120mm fan will provide some airflow and reduce the PSU's fan speed or even keep it from spinning up.

Also, I'm thinking that with the intake fan facing inward, it should be more difficult to hear the quiet ticking of the SX600 fan.

How far away can you guys hear the clicking? My fan is facing out. For me it becomes inaudible if I'm more than a foot or so away from it. I can't hear it at all on the other side of the case. Either way other fan noise dominates over that over that of the PSU.
Also, I'm thinking that with the intake fan facing inward, it should be more difficult to hear the quiet ticking of the SX600 fan.
That's probably true.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks!

How far away can you guys hear the clicking? My fan is facing out. For me it becomes inaudible if I'm more than a foot or so away from it. I can't hear it at all on the other side of the case. Either way other fan noise dominates over that over that of the PSU.

I just checked, and I can hear the chatter clearly from over 5-feet away.. though at that point the noise is incredibly directed (I have to aim my ear exactly at the PSU fan, and if I move my head even an inch, the sound becomes harder to hear).

At idle, it's definitely the most audible fan in my system. It's a quiet noise, but it's annoying at times.

As I said earlier, my fan is also facing out, and I can hear the chatter more than 1 meter (1 yard) away when I'm positioned to the right of my M1.

I also said that when I sit in my regular position, to the left of my M1, I couldn't hear it. It turns out that's not entirely true. I can actually still hear it, but only very faintly. Enough to be a bit annoying, unfortunately...

If you focus on hearing a sound, you'll eventually hear it. My PC quietly hums, but only if I want to hear it. I don't let it bother me, cheapest and easiest solution for me.

If you focus on hearing a sound, you'll eventually hear it. My PC quietly hums, but only if I want to hear it. I don't let it bother me, cheapest and easiest solution for me.

I know what you mean, but for some people it's hard to ignore something that's annoying, even if only minor. I'm one of those. :p

I'll definitely replace the stock fan. If no suitable 80x15 fan can be found, I might take the 80x25 route, cutting up the cover to fit it. Might even rig my own fan controller (using a T-Balancer with a temp sensor placed in the same location, mimicking the fan curve but at higher voltages). Or try the SFX-L.

Hey, quick question. My ATX 24 pin cable split in two to make 20+4.

Is it supposed to do that? Have I broken anything?

its supposed to be like that, for legacy support of old mobos that had 20 pin connectors

its supposed to be like that, for legacy support of old mobos that had 20 pin connectors

I wish the PSU companies would just go straight 24-pin, if there's anyone left who actually needs 20-pin they can just buy an adapter.

I wish the PSU companies would just go straight 24-pin, if there's anyone left who actually needs 20-pin they can just buy an adapter.

i dunno, if they made changes like that i'd be more inclined to say they should just do away with the 24 pin atx standard entirely. its a pain in the ass in terms of pressure needed to plug it in properly, usually i end up with noticeable flexing on the motherboard while plugging them in.

Got the NZXT X41 and it's much quieter than the Seidon 120V. Now I can hear that chatter from the stock fan that everyone's complaining about :p

If the ambient noise level is very low it would definitely be annoying to listen to.

Tomorrow I'll take apart the PSU again and test the fans side by side but my brief testing of the Sanyo Denki 109P0805M702 (you can see it hiding in the corner here) confirms my suspicions. It is smoother and doesn't chatter but there is that distinct ball bearing noise.

I need to test them more thoroughly but I think I'd rather have the Sanyo over the stock fan but a FDB fan should be better than both.

Hopefully those fans WISK ordered perform well.

Back