Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

Let's make this more juicy:

Hi everyone, now that we've announced SX600-G this week at CeBIT. I can help clear up a couple of things about this upcoming PSU:

- Semi-fanless - this feature is taken from the current ST30SF model so that means the fan in the SX600-G will spin when its internal temperature reaches a certain point.

- PP05-E standard - this much more flexible and flat cable set will come standard with the SX600-G.

Unfortunately there are still some engineering issues to work out at this moment so I am unable to provide any more detailed information or time frame on its release. Sorry!

Hey Tony, will the new 600w have the same dimensions?
Of course, we wouldn't call it SFX if it was any bigger than our current models.

I was pretty sceptical about this all but after Tony Ou confirmed this all, I'm very amazed. If this PSU is comparable quality-wise to the ST45SF-G, this is the stuff of legends for SFF builders.

Don't forget the thread's title. Not sure, but maybe need a mod to do that?

A mod will have to do it. I already tried, doesn't show the change in the forum list.

@Tony, it would be cool if we could see a picture of an actual engineering model, so to see modular connector layout and fan placement.

It's not sure yet, rumour is that it might be a slim 92mm or 100mm.

Ohh, that's would be nice.. haven't heard that one before.

Should I already start my plans for a Noctua A9x14 fan swap? :D

It's not sure yet, rumour is that it might be a slim 92mm or 100mm.
Per Tony's comment above, the unit will retain the same dimensions. This rules out 100mm, as the psu housing is 100x125x63.5mm... unless shenanigans.

Per Tony's comment above, the unit will retain the same dimensions. This rules out 100mm, as the psu housing is 100x125x63.5mm... unless shenanigans.

They figured out how to make a "PSU of holding" ..it can actually fit a 140mm fan :p

92mm fan should be possible, but just barely. If given the choice, I'd prefer a high-quality, pleasant sounding 80mm fan with semi-fanless operation over a bigger fan if it means sacrificing semi-fanless.

That Noc 92x14 w/semi-fanless would be sweeet, though.. it's just a great sounding fan for the size. Think they do OEM orders as well.

You are right. But well you know how rumours go. I was fooled enough to repeat it :eek:

You are right. But well you know how rumours go. I was fooled enough to repeat it :eek:
I was thinking more along the lines of the fan is actually part of the external enclosure, not simply bracketed inside the box. RUMORMILL GO!

I think I speak for everyone.

acb.jpg

That Noc 92x14 w/semi-fanless would be sweeet, though.. it's just a great sounding fan for the size. Think they do OEM orders as well.

that 92mm fan would be very nice, but something tells me it would be cost prohibitive to put it in the psu. Retail it costs $18+, i wonder how much less it would be at an oem price.

that 92mm fan would be very nice, but something tells me it would be cost prohibitive to put it in the psu. Retail it costs $18+, i wonder how much less it would be at an oem price.

Actually, I think most people dropping $100+ on an SFX PSU would be willing to pay an extra $20 (probably a lot less than $10 OEM) for a top shelf fan like that. Just look at how many people bought the ST45SF and later did a fan swap.

Yes but that came out of pocket from the end user, not SS itself. SS probably has a price point in mind, and I can't see them using such an expensive fan. But if i'm wrong, great. I'd like to see that noctua fan in there too, but i'm more inclined to think they'll probably use something something more similar to their fan in the last version.

Don't understand why you all think that Noctua fan would be suitable. It's a CPU heatsink fan. It's designed to for low-medium impedence situations. It might be quiet, I don't know, that's more because it's max rpms are low than any magical design on Noctua's part. It won't be able to cool the PSU at load. Inside the PSU is packed with stuff. Lots of obstacles, higher resistance. You need a strong torque fan with a higher max rpms. If they made a 3000 or 3500 rpm version then maybe.

We might be getting a semi-fanless, good for silence at low load. But I'll eat my hat if the SX600-G doesn't get awfully loud at 600W. Remember there's (probably) 33% more heat to move than with the current PSU.

Having said that, I don't have any suggestion for a better fan since we haven't seen the exact specs for the stock fan. Only then can we really judge if a replacement is even necessary and what kind of attributes it would need to have.

:)

i can't speak for everyone but its only 14mm tall. Thats what got my attention.

i can't speak for everyone but its only 14mm tall. Thats what got my attention.

Well, and it's 92mm square, which is based on a rumour I posted for which I can't even find the source anymore :D :eek: :p

Don't understand why you all think that Noctua fan would be suitable. It's a CPU heatsink fan. It's designed to for low-medium impedence situations. It might be quiet, I don't know, that's more because it's max rpms are low than any magical design on Noctua's part. It won't be able to cool the PSU at load. Inside the PSU is packed with stuff. Lots of obstacles, higher resistance. You need a strong torque fan with a higher max rpms. If they made a 3000 or 3500 rpm version then maybe.

Yeah, just came to mind cause it was 92x14 (from your rumor) and doesn't sound like a cheese grater (it gets loud, but doesn't sound like junk, like my ST45SF-G fan does even at low RPM).

If your rumor happens to be true, a 92mm fan doesn't necessarily have to run as fast as the 80mm to achieve the same airflow. But yeah, comparing the two, the A9x14 doesn't match the static pressure of the ADDA (if I converted correctly)..

Code:
ADDA AD0812HB-D70 (80x80x15) 29.9 CFM; 3200 RPM (2910 Actual); 3.28 mmH20
Noctua A9x14      (92x92x14) 29.7 CFM; 2200 RPM (2200 Actual); 1.65 mmH2O

Anyway, I'm actually okay with the SX600-G being loud under load (since air movement does that), if we're getting silence during idle with semi-fanless.. I'm just really hoping whatever fan they use doesn't exhibit the same "noise" that my current one does (that's not caused by airflow). I'm not looking for magic, just a decent quality, above-average fan. Would really suck to see this truly ideal SFX get hated on like its predecessors, just because the fan is still crap.

But hell, we're getting 600W semi-fanless.. so we're all eating some hats up in here! ;)

If your rumor happens to be true, a 92mm fan doesn't necessarily have to run as fast as the 80mm to achieve the same airflow. But yeah, comparing the two, the A9x14 doesn't match the static pressure of the ADDA (if I converted correctly)..

About those manufacturer specs: static pressure is measured at 0 airflow, and max airflow (and noise) measured without any restriction. What they should actually publish is the whole curve. Interesting article about it here (see 3rd chart) http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/02...w-specs-are-poor-measures-of-fan-performance/

But hell, we're getting 600W semi-fanless.. so we're all eating some hats up in here! ;)

Yeah! :D

About those manufacturer specs: static pressure is measured at 0 airflow, and max airflow (and noise) measured without any restriction. What they should actually publish is the whole curve.

Something to add to this. I found a nice graph.

Standard axial fan in red, standard loop fan in green.

You see that the standard axial fan has impressive pressure at 0 airflow, but it drops off quickly. This value is what manufacturers call "static" pressure. If they showed the values for actual use (the grey triangle) then it's not so outstanding. In fact, pressure value is less than half of quoted specification under real-world conditions. The loop fan has a more straightforward curve, but as you see it's also much less than quoted spec.

You can imagine seeing these two fans listed on a website and it would show:
Red: static pressure 2.5mmH2O, airflow 118 m3/h
Green: static pressure 2.0mmH2O, airflow 122 m3/h

You would think the red fan is 25% better on a radiator than the green, but it's not. It's a con :(

So if there is no pressure-airflow graph, then ignore "static" pressure values :)

So if there is no pressure-airflow graph, then ignore "static" pressure values :)

Don't think I've ever seen a pressure-airflow graph from any fan manufacturer.

So, do you think an SFX PSU really needs a higher static pressure fan than one designed for pushing air through heatsinks and radiators? I would think the latter applications would be more restrictive for airflow.

Anyway, I thought I saw others using the A9x14 on the ST45SF-G with success.. I'm thinking it was either Okwchin, Proglin or Overrated, but I can't remember now.

Still quiet?

Still in production/development, but should be quiet with a semi-fanless design (should be absolutely silent with fan off at idle and low loads).. plus, I think either Tony or someone else at Silverstone mentioned making this a quiet PSU a priority, or something to that effect.

EDIT: dual-GPU will apparently be 375W max. There was something here about people never being satisfied about wattage...

Last edited:
I'm expecting we'll soon have whiners saying that they'd like a 700W version so they can use the dual GPU cards.

600W not enough for the new R9 295x2 and Titanball-Z cards?

Just wondering. Found this info, but no idea if it's accurate (or if the remainder is enough for the rest of the components)..

The graphics board sports two 8-pin PCIe power connectors and therefore can consume up to 375W of power.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-radeon-r9-295x2-pictured-specifications-revealed/

Hopefully this will be a blockbuster.
SFX is the future of anything below crazy OCing and SLI builds.

Hopefully this will be a blockbuster.
SFX is the future of anything below crazy OCing and SLI builds.
While I agree that this PSU will be extremely popular because it allows running any graphics card and processor in an mITX build without running right up to the limit of the 450W model, I highly doubt SFX is the future. Two RAM slots and a single PCIe slot will forever confine it to a niche market. It means less and/or more expensive RAM, no wireless cards, no network cards, no sound cards, less motherboard features and connectors, etc. Most people aren't willing to make the sacrifices that going from uATX to mITX entails. uATX with ATX PSUs will likely remain the dominant "smaller" form factor.

I agree that full ATX boards are the realm of crazy OC and Tri-SLI setups.

I'm really excited for this to be available so I can build an mITX rig with 1x top end card and not have to be extremely careful with power consumption.

600W not enough for the new R9 295x2 and Titanball-Z cards?

Just wondering. Found this info, but no idea if it's accurate (or if the remainder is enough for the rest of the components)..

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-radeon-r9-295x2-pictured-specifications-revealed/
Hmm I was somehow expecting 600W out of the two 8-pin plugs but it's 150W per 8-pin plug so I was incorrect. I'll edit my post ;)

While I agree that this PSU will be extremely popular because it allows running any graphics card and processor in an mITX build without running right up to the limit of the 450W model, I highly doubt SFX is the future. Two RAM slots and a single PCIe slot will forever confine it to a niche market. It means less and/or more expensive RAM, no wireless cards, no network cards, no sound cards, less motherboard features and connectors, etc. Most people aren't willing to make the sacrifices that going from uATX to mITX entails. uATX with ATX PSUs will likely remain the dominant "smaller" form factor.
While you say "niche" market, let's not forget what mITX can do these days. Few people have a dedicated PCIe NIC or PCIe sound card, 16GB of RAM is still overkill for many and wireless is standard with many Z87-boards. Motherboard features that one could miss are mainly overclocking-related, like buttons, voltage measurement points and POST error displays. A die-hard overclocker would also not be interested in mITX because of the lack of space around the socket and less power phases.

In my opinion, mITX is actually more then plenty for most people that build PC's, but many are afraid of what they don't know and they don't know much about SFF. Many techy people are still amazed I have all this hardware in this little case, which fits about 4-8 times inside their case that's filled with air, unused HDD brackets and empty PCIe slots.

Last edited:
It's not really a niche market anymore, Valve's steambox initiative will push things forward a lot for the form factor

Back