Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

If I brought the 24 pin cable in front of the NT06-Pro, the cable simply didn't reach..

Other fitment issues aside, you could buy the PP05-E flat cable kit. The 24-pin and 8-pin mobo cables on that set are 2" longer (all the other cables are actually a little shorter, I think).

This PSU simply does not fit for me with my current setup. The PSU supporting crossbar interferes with the modular connectors, and the 3.5" HDD cage is unusable for the same reason. Even without the lower drive cage or ODD tray installed, I had issues with trying to get the atx 24pin cable to the socket on the mainboard. The power sockets for my mainboard are at the top of the board.

Which board exactly? 'top' is relative :)

We discussed a bit in the ST45SF-G thread (and maybe in the SG05 thread too) about the problem with the HDD cages. It's possible to get it all in, but depends on orientation of the PSU and pre-bending the ATX24 wires. For the low-profile cables that come with the SX600-G you will have to separate the some of the bonding between wires to help with flexibility. Don't use anything sharp, just pull/tear them apart a little.

Also, you don't really need the supporting crossbar, especially if you fix the PSU with all six screws.

The supporting crossbar isn't even included with the Lite-version of the SG05/06

According to TonyOu / Silverstone it is mainly for system builders who ship assembled systems to their customers.

Whoops, wasn't reading anything as usual. £17 saved \o/ I am far too impatient for all of this...

My psu finally came from Amazon.com into UK :)
Took 4-5 days, 130 $ + 8 shipping plus 23 tax = almost 100 pounds, but they will be in stock in UK after the 16th.

Packaging, amazon put a lot of air bags and they didn't break so all good.

First impression, wow, very heavy considering it's tiny size, feels of good quality, good finishing.
Easy to install in the NCase M1, was using an ATX so the differences now are amazing including degrees in temperatures dropping.
The cables fit very well, i don't have previous experience with the PP05-E to give a feedback about ease of elasticity, but i didn't have any problems.

Just i had put the plug in, i've got coil noise, a small intense buzzing, as you get closer you can hear it very clearly.

The fan started in like 5 minutes of idling, can't hear it but i sense some blurping, doesn't seam to be the hdd, i think is what others described above. Will investigate further.

As i'm writing the coil noise started to go away, so i hope it goes away for good.

Will run some tests but so far i'm pleased, i keep my case like less than half a meter (~ 1 feet i think) away from me on the table, so it's very close and in complete silence, all is good besides that blurping.

So yeah, until something better comes along this will do just fine.

http://imgur.com/ISnqguv

i keep my case like less than half a meter (~ 1 feet i think) away from me on the table, so it's very close and in complete silence, all is good besides that blurping.

The quiet noise I get is very directional, so either install it with intake fan towards the inside of the case, or if facing outward, be sure to position your M1 on your right side.. though be careful of the noise reflecting off walls and other surfaces up to 2' away (I can often hear the sound bouncing off my angled monitor, but will be changing my desk layout soon).

EDIT: Oops, nvm.. just saw that your picture shows it installed facing inward.

I keep it on the left side, i move my monitor often on the wright.
Yes i put it inwards, i will put 2x120 fans on the bracket to help things better in the future.
Yeah, on the left side is near the wardrobe so maybe the sound bounces weirdly etc.
So far so good.
I like it a lot !

This is a cross-post from my post on overclock.net:

I just got the Silverstone SX600-G in today and tried it out. This isn't news to anyone, but it looks exactly the same as the older ST45SF-G. Here are the 3 PSU's side by side. Left is a stock ST45SF-G, middle is my fan-modded ST45SF-G, and right is the SX600-G:

SaIHHiZl.jpg

bJxo2WJl.jpg

I ran the SX600-G through several loops of the Heaven benchmark to get an idea of how loud it is and, like others have said, it's about on the same level as the ST45SF-G at load. It sounds similar in characteristic and volume to a blower fan on a stock GPU heatsink. Here's a quick video of it running full blast; please note that it doesn't sound quite the same in the video as it does in real life. In real life, the whirring sound of the fan is much more prominent than the whooshing sound of the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOp67vhe1ic

My very informal "touch and see how hot it is" test shows that it's burning hot, just like my fan modded ST45SF-G. This makes me feel better about my fan mod, which feels about the same when loaded. One interesting thing is that the casing gets hot enough to melt the hot glue I used to mount the fan on with.

This PSU is supposed to have a semi-fanless mode, but as others have pointed out, a few minutes after you turn on your computer from a cold boot, the fan starts up and never shuts down. The idle noise is about the same as a medium speed fan running at full speed. It took about 30 minutes to go from full blast back down to its idle level.

If silence is your goal, I wouldn't recommend this PSU without modifying the fan; like the ST45SF-G, it's simply too loud and makes too much of a whirring sound for silence aficionados.

Here's a video of it on idle, highlighting the buzzing sound the fan makes at lower RPMs. Note that the camera was put very close to the power supply, so the sound is amplified quite a bit. In real life, it's audible, but only faintly. If used during the day with cars going by, birds chirping, winds blowing through the trees, etc, it's probably not audible. At night though, it can be heard over the whirring sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8f4T8_Y3ns

Sounds like something (a wire) catching the fan slightly, maybe give it a little shake up.

It might be. I'll need to take it out and have a look.

Sounds almost identical to the chatter noise that mine makes (I can only hear it up close, or with my ear directly aimed towards the fan up to 1 to 2 feet away). The volume level of the chatter on mine seems very consistent, though.

Yea it's odd. It goes away then comes back, and when it comes back the sounds varies from "I can barely hear it" to "Man that's annoying". Kinda frustrating.

I think it sounds like vibrations from the plastic shield that covers the AC inlet PCB.

I'll take a look at that as well when I get some time. I really don't want to RMA it but the inconsistency and sound type drives me up the wall lol.

Which board exactly? 'top' is relative :)
Board is board in sig. I/O panel is "back", opposite side is "front", PCI-E slot is "bottom", opposite side is "top".
We discussed a bit in the ST45SF-G thread (and maybe in the SG05 thread too) about the problem with the HDD cages. It's possible to get it all in, but depends on orientation of the PSU and pre-bending the ATX24 wires. For the low-profile cables that come with the SX600-G you will have to separate the some of the bonding between wires to help with flexibility. Don't use anything sharp, just pull/tear them apart a little.
I had to mount the NT06-Pro so the heatpipe "nubs" faced away from the PCI-E slot, otherwise they interfered with GPU and RAM. PSU is flipped to make the cables reach, but the PSU doesn't draw air from/vent the case :(. Had to cut at the side of the case because the HSF nubs protruded; probably due to socket placement on the mainboard. You can see how I have to route the 4pin and 24pin cables between the NT06-Pro and the back of the SG05.

I COULD get the SX600-g's power cables back there, but they pulled against the heatsink and the fins were really digging into the wire insulation. I'm afraid that they would eventually saw through. An extra inch or two on the 24pin would have helped in my particular case.
Also, you don't really need the supporting crossbar, especially if you fix the PSU with all six screws.
Yeah, that was a nitpicky thing. I was frustrated. The SX600-G seems like a great product, it just doesn't fit in my system as it came packaged.

Just had some crazy coil whine coming from my SX600-G right after a cold boot tonight.

Sounded like a slightly modulating high-pitch noise (similar to the videos I've seen about it). Sound was audible through my filtered intake, but most audible from the exhaust. Lasted for a few minutes, and then went away.

The crazy semi-semi-fanless fan still hasn't kicked on yet. Oops, there it goes.. 1 spin, another spin, a few more.. tweety bird chirp. Sounds like a diesel truck idling in a canyon when heard from 2 miles away (when I put my head close to the exhaust). Such a weird, weird thing :D

Hmm, I'm having second thoughts about the 600 because of all the noise issues. This was the one component in my build that was pretty much nailed on, now I might have to rethink it! Still no word on the SX500-LG though? I'm assuming that no news means it'll be another couple of months

I'm afraid that would be a good assumption. The lack of news doesn't bode well.

Installed my 600 last night and had much apparently much better results than those here. The fan stayed off for a good long while and when it came on it was a much more pleasant noise profile than the 450G. I will be doing more thorough testing this weekend.

My sx600 just arrived, I'll be shutting down then reporting on results! I might be one of the more sound sensitive guys, so we'll see what happens..

Someone post a video with sound about the so called sound problem with the 600w psu. I want to hear for myself how bad, if its bad, it is.

Someone post a video with sound about the so called sound problem with the 600w psu. I want to hear for myself how bad, if its bad, it is.

There's already been 3 videos posted here in the past 2 days..

Jakuum's http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041064700&postcount=716

Ranma13's http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041067347&postcount=733

Mine sounds nearly identical to the 1st vid by Jakuum. Whether I hear that fan noise or not is the difference between sitting as I usually do (completely inaudible with other background noise) and moving my head a foot closer. For me it's mostly avoidable, and significantly better than my ST45SF-G, but still slightly annoying when I do happen to notice it. I've only heard the coil whine once so far, and it only lasted for a few minutes.

EDIT: Dang! Always getting beat to the punch by WiSK and Phuncz! :p

There's already been 3 videos posted here in the past 2 days..

Jakuum's http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041064700&postcount=716

Ranma13's http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041067347&postcount=733

Mine sounds nearly identical to the 1st vid by Jakuum. Whether I hear that fan noise or not is the difference between sitting as I usually do (completely inaudible with other background noise) and moving my head a foot closer. For me it's mostly avoidable, and significantly better than my ST45SF-G, but still slightly annoying when I do happen to notice it. I've only heard the coil whine once so far, and it only lasted for a few minutes.

EDIT: Dang! Always getting beat to the punch by WiSK and Phuncz! :p

I'd like to point out that the chirping sound is actually crickets, and I didn't realize they were actually that loud. I'll see if I can get my hands on a shotgun mic so I can post up a better video.

After installing the psu, I had what sounded like some -really- bad coil whine on the first boot to bios, but after I reseated the cables on my boot drive and booted to windows, the whine died down over about 5-10 seconds and I haven't heard it since.

I do hear the fan noise in Jakuum's video, but I have to get my ears closer than ~3 inches on the PSU intake side of the case before I hear the fan ticking.

Overall I'd say that either I got lucky and got a better unit/setup/part mix than most, or the issue is not really as bad as some make it seem.

Most people here seem to comment they are only noticing the sounds within a foot / 30cm of the PSU's fan, it's quite clear this PSU isn't noisy at all. But people shouldn't expect a PSU like this to be completely noise-free as there will always be components resonating. I'm not saying it couldn't be quieter but do have to keep in mind this is SFX and already the quieter options in regards to 1U PSU's.

I will probably be getting the SX500-LG if it ever materialises, because I won't need the 600W anyway and I like the idea of a 120mm fan. I'm expecting less fan noise, but I'm not expecting a completely silent PSU.

How does the SX600 compare to a ST45SF with the Noiseblocker fan?

That would be interesting to know.

I'd really like to see someone do a fan mod on the SX600-G (*cough*WiSK*cough* ;)) , and maybe even squeeze in some tiny heatsinks (or couple a heatpipe to the chassis) and see if it'll help the semi-fanless actually work as intended.

That would be interesting to know.

I'd really like to see someone do a fan mod on the SX600-G (*cough*WiSK*cough* ;)) , and maybe even squeeze in some tiny heatsinks (or couple a heatpipe to the chassis) and see if it'll help the semi-fanless actually work as intended.

Oh hi!

Since the stock fan doesn't have a rpm sensor, it will be tricky for me to find equipment at short notice to measure the rpm-volts profile. But I'll have a go. I don't mind voiding warranty for the good of the community. I hope we can find a higher quality replacement like we did for ST45SF-G.

and/or

Identifying which components are whining. It could be an easy fix: hot glue on a loose coil.

and/or

The plastic shield for the AC line filter, could be a source of noise too, maybe there's a way to help it.

Oh hi!

Since the stock fan doesn't have a rpm sensor, it will be tricky for me to find equipment at short notice to measure the rpm-volts profile. But I'll have a go. I don't mind voiding warranty for the good of the community. I hope we can find a higher quality replacement like we did for ST45SF-G.

and/or

Identifying which components are whining. It could be an easy fix: hot glue on a loose coil.

and/or

The plastic shield for the AC line filter, could be a source of noise too, maybe there's a way to help it.

I found out tonight that the high-pitched noise I first noticed directly after install is definitely coming from the PSU (starts with a brief modulating coil whine and continues on with just an incredibly high frequency) . Before the fan ever kicks on, I can hear it coming from both the intake and exhaust, and from the intake at a particular angle I can also hear a static-sounding buzzing. The high-pitched noise sounds exactly like tinnitus (ear ringing) that one would get after going to a loud concert.

Once the PSU warms up and the fan kicks on, both noises seem to diminish slightly, but not disappear completely. Like the fan noise, the high-pitched frequency is a very directly aimed sound (panning my ear from left to right in front of the exhaust it is noticeably louder in one spot, though I can still hear it from a distance).

Fwiw, I'm not necessarily bitching about any perceived noises from this PSU (not exactly happy with them) and no, I do not possess super-human hearing.. just making observations ;)

AFD, how far away from the PSU are you?

Usually around 2' away. Also, my M1 and monitor are currently in my armoire desk directly in front of me (enclosed by 5 sides), until I get a new monitor and move the M1 to my new desk (open).. so acoustically, that may slightly be changing my perception of any sounds (occasionally, I can hear the faint clicky fan sound bouncing off my angled monitor and the opposite side of the desk).

The fan noise is just barely perceivable at times and doesn't really bother me much at all (it's just really dumb when I do happen to hear it), but the high-pitched frequency travels throughout the room and is much harder to ignore (it's not loud, just such an insanely high, unnatural frequency.. like a dog whistle. It's *exactly* this sound, if you can hear it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxewnndNQ8).

EDIT: Just shut down *everything* electrical nearby, and I've narrowed the high-pitch frequency down to 2 sources.. and both are PSUs (the other an old Thermaltake TR2, I could hear while the PC was shutdown). Both are connected to the same stand-by UPS, so perhaps it's an issue with that particular unit or another part of the electrical system (just noticed it recently). Knowing that, this high-pitch noise should NOT be considered an issue with the SX600-G. I'll try direct to mains tomorrow just to verify.. but right now, I've got a splitting headache :eek:)

Last edited:
EDIT: Just shut down *everything* electrical nearby, and I've narrowed the high-pitch frequency down to 2 sources.. and both are PSUs (the other an old Thermaltake TR2, I could hear while the PC was shutdown). Both are connected to the same stand-by UPS, so perhaps it's an issue with that particular unit or another part of the electrical system (just noticed it recently). Knowing that, this high-pitch noise should NOT be considered an issue with the SX600-G. I'll try direct to mains tomorrow just to verify.. but right now, I've got a splitting headache :eek:)
If possible, test at another house to make sure this isn't caused by something in your house. I don't know much about electrical engineering (WiSK to the rescue !) to be sure about this but if audio equipment can be influenced by the microwave oven or an non-earthed outlet, this might be possible too.

Wow. I thought SPCR would be horribly critical, considering what we've read in forums and on the [H] review. Interesting!

If possible, test at another house to make sure this isn't caused by something in your house. I don't know much about electrical engineering (WiSK to the rescue !) to be sure about this but if audio equipment can be influenced by the microwave oven or an non-earthed outlet, this might be possible too.

I'm not an electrical engineer :)

I'd like to hear if it's the UPS, direct mains should give a smoother AC frequency.

Wow. I thought SPCR would be horribly critical, considering what we've read in forums and on the [H] review. Interesting!

It was nice seeing that they did encounter sounds and behaviors that others on here have described (like the clicking of the fan); makes it less likely that the supply sent was cherry-picked/unrepresentative of the retail units people are receiving. Also, that they heard the same thing, and still came away saying that it was very quiet, helps level set: I don't know how noise-sensitive most of the people on this forum are, but I have a pretty good idea how noise-sensitive the SPCR reviewer is!

As to the coil whine, they didn't mention any of it that I saw, which lends some credence to it being something specific to AFD's electrical environment.

Now, just need me a JohnnyGuru teardown of this, and then all of the same things for the 500-L (plus someone trying to cram one into their M1 and proving it works with full-length graphics), and THEN I can finally make a decision!

Mine behaves like this regarding coil noise.

Coil noise for the first 5 minutes of running and then goes silent only if you put your ear near the case i can hear some buzzing.
Has a small huming when the pc is off but you can't hear it only as above.
keep the NCase 1 feet from me on the desk and in idle and can't hear anything after those initial 5 minutes.

and then all of the same things for the 500-L (plus someone trying to cram one into their M1 and proving it works with full-length graphics)
I will be getting it as soon as it is available for a realistic price, since I'll be needing a PSU for my mod project anyway. Since I have a reference R9-290X (without any backplate) which is about 10.8" long, I can test it, photograph it and measure it. IF IT EVER MATERIALISES :(:(

Back