Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

..after long hours of gaming i would get a random reset and some times a anti-surge warning, I think the unit may have been on its limits.

That's what everyone's been saying to you for many months. The problem is not the 4770K and GTX780Ti, it's the overclocks.

brC92Qzs.jpg
1d7lf4hs.jpg
vW4mKKDs.jpg
tawkz3ys.jpg
ckGb6mKs.jpg
hCQm0Rcs.jpg
iaztKvWs.jpg
Jp63hnhs.jpg
gwB4zmxs.jpg

:D

I know I shouldn't have posted but some of his comments are bordering between trolling and misinformation. I can't have him keep blaming the ST45SF-G for his fuckups when it is enough for a 4770K and a GTX780Ti at stock without issue. Especially with companies like Swiftech employing people that don't have a solid technical knowledge, demanding 600W PSU's at minimum for that hardware, to be granted an RMA.

I had a few problems using the 450w with my 4770K and GTX780TI after long hours of gaming i would get a random reset and some times a anti-surge warning, I think the unit may have been on its limits.

At stock clocks and real world loads, this is pretty much impossible. I don't think the 450W limit would be exceeded even with Linpack and Furmark running simultaneously (but I'm not entirely sure on that one, guess I should try it and see what my power meter tells me, unless Nvidia's drivers still detect Furmark and downclocks nowadays?).

I also have a 4770K and a 780 Ti, both at stock clocks, and have been running many long hours of high load gaming with a wide range of games for a month now, monitored 24/7 by my power meter. The measured peak power is 305W (DC). Sure, I don't know the peak loads on the individual rails, but I seriously doubt they have ever been close to overload.

The only reason I'm getting the SX600-G is the fan noise. And it permits overclocking, of course, should I venture down that road.

A PSU shouldn't cause buzzing over your speakers. It either points to something else like RF interference or a grounding issue with the amplifier.

That's what everyone's been saying to you for many months. The problem is not the 4770K and GTX780Ti, it's the overclocks.

I know I shouldn't have posted but some of his comments are bordering between trolling and misinformation. I can't have him keep blaming the ST45SF-G for his fuckups when it is enough for a 4770K and a GTX780Ti at stock without issue. Especially with companies like Swiftech employing people that don't have a solid technical knowledge, demanding 600W PSU's at minimum for that hardware, to be granted an RMA.

Nar its not the overclocks because i don't run any its the power supply, I don't care what you guys say i have tested my system using another PSU with no problem! Also you don't know what your talking about Phuncz so just drop it!

At stock clocks and real world loads, this is pretty much impossible. I don't think the 450W limit would be exceeded even with Linpack and Furmark running simultaneously (but I'm not entirely sure on that one, guess I should try it and see what my power meter tells me, unless Nvidia's drivers still detect Furmark and downclocks nowadays?).

I also have a 4770K and a 780 Ti, both at stock clocks, and have been running many long hours of high load gaming with a wide range of games for a month now, monitored 24/7 by my power meter. The measured peak power is 305W (DC). Sure, I don't know the peak loads on the individual rails, but I seriously doubt they have ever been close to overload.

The only reason I'm getting the SX600-G is the fan noise. And it permits overclocking, of course, should I venture down that road.

I got these problems in summer i live in Australia so temperature does play apart in the problem, Also i have tested the load of my system it sits around 400w the needed amps on the 12v rail for a 780ti are 42amp the 450w only pushes out 38amp I'm not saying its the problem.

Last edited:
I got these problems in summer i live in Australia so temperature does play apart in the problem, Also i have tested the load of my system it sits around 400w the needed amps on the 12v rail for a 780ti are 42amp the 450w only pushes out 38amp I'm not saying its the problem.

42A on the 12V for a 780 Ti, where did you get that number? That's 504W, which is about double of what it should reasonably be. Impossible.

I just ran Furmark (Kombustor) + 10 laps of Linpack simultaneously, closely watching my power meter. Sure, it's hard to load both the cpu and the gpu 100% simultaneously, so that only happened in short burts, where the peak measurement was 428W AC at the wall socket. That roughly translates to 380W DC, far from the 450W DC maximum output of the psu.

Running Furmark only, the peak was ~350W AC, roughly ~310W DC.

The only explanations of your problem I can see are extreme temperatures or perhaps a faulty psu?

42A on the 12V for a 780 Ti, where did you get that number? That's 504W, which is about double of what it should reasonably be. Impossible.

The only explanations of your problem I can see are extreme temperatures or perhaps a faulty psu?
He got that 42A spec of the manufacturer website as a minimum requirement.

We already found out the ST45SF-G doesn't do well with his hardware overclocked, but he also did the Noiseblocker fan-mod, which reduces the amount of air going through the PSU. Meaning when stressed, the PSU will heat up a lot and can't get rid of the hot air because of the fan-mod. The top panel on Ncase M1 also restricts the outward airflow a little, also not helping. And the final nail in the coffin is the Demciflex filter reducing the airflow even more. This all combined with the Australian hot summer temperatures, results in the failures.

I'm running with the top panel off this summer, as it seemed to block too much of the airflow of the ST45SF-G, but I also have the fan-mod and the Demciflex filter on it, without overclocks though. But what do I know, I'm just a noob.

I just ran Furmark (Kombustor) + 10 laps of Linpack simultaneously, closely watching my power meter. Sure, it's hard to load both the cpu and the gpu 100% simultaneously, so that only happened in short burts, where the peak measurement was 428W AC at the wall socket. That roughly translates to 380W DC, far from the 450W DC maximum output of the psu.

Running Furmark only, the peak was ~350W AC, roughly ~310W DC.

MSI states that the GeForce GTX 780ti needs 42A and a 600W PSU minimum in there FAQ here Power requirements for graphics cards , I don't mean to piss people off saying the 450w can't power these components but for me the unit seems to have problem doing so after long hours of gaming which is probably related to heat and room temp. Phuncz I'm planing to place a 60mm PWM fan above the PSU to help push out the air from the top of the M1.

Last edited:
Noiseblocker fan-mod

Ncase M1 also restricts the outward airflow a little

Demciflex

Australian hot summer temperatures

I see. That explains it. A recipe for disaster. :)

MSI states that the GeForce GTX 780ti needs 42A and a 600W PSU minimum in there FAQ here Power requirements for graphics cards , I don't mean to piss people off saying the 450w can't power these components but for me the unit seems to have problem doing so after long hours of gaming which is probably related to heat and room temp. Phuncz I'm planing to place a 60mm PWM fan above the PSU to help push out the air from the top of the M1.

MSI are hilarious. Note that they also list the Titan Z as requiring 42A, which is a lot more in line with reality (but still quite a bit too much, if I recall correctly).

There are psu manufacturers producing dirt cheap crap, lying about the specifications, stating a maximum output of let's say 600W but in reality it's maybe only 400W. This probably also applies to the 12V max output. So MSI (and many other manufacturers, if not all of them) recommend vastly overpowered psu's for this reason. As a bonus, it's very easy for them to refuse support if the user's psu doesn't follow their recommendation, no matter the quality of the psu. This is extremely annoying.

I see. That explains it. A recipe for disaster. :)

MSI are hilarious. Note that they also list the Titan Z as requiring 42A, which is a lot more in line with reality (but still quite a bit too much, if I recall correctly).

There are psu manufacturers producing dirt cheap crap, lying about the specifications, stating a maximum output of let's say 600W but in reality it's maybe only 400W. This probably also applies to the 12V max output. So MSI (and many other manufacturers, if not all of them) recommend vastly overpowered psu's for this reason. As a bonus, it's very easy for them to refuse support if the user's psu doesn't follow their recommendation, no matter the quality of the psu. This is extremely annoying.

Yer i can't disagree with you there, The requirements set for any GPU do very depending on what chipset, CPU and other components your using, Which is probably why they recommend more power then really is needed, For example lets take a power hungry CPU lets say FX-9370 with 220W TDP, 6 HDDs, 4 sticks of ram, and all USB ports along with every PCI-e slot being used, Who know what this systems power draw would be but my guess it would be close to what is recommend by Nvidia?

That's good, that should probably solve most of the problems you have.

Yer i hope so but I'm hopping the SX600-G does as well it may run cooler than the 450w :) .

Yer i can't disagree with you there, The requirements set for any GPU do very depending on what chipset, CPU and other components your using, Which is probably why they recommend more power then really is needed, For example lets take a power hungry CPU lets say FX-9370 with 220W TDP, 6 HDDs, 4 sticks of ram, and all USB ports along with every PCI-e slot being used, Who know what this systems power draw would be but my guess it would be close to what is recommend by Nvidia?

Yeah, that's also an important factor, true. The recommendations are of course supposed to cover all grounds; lying psu manufacturers and extremely power hogging components (I'd forgotten the crazy tdp on the most extreme AMD cpu's).

A PSU shouldn't cause buzzing over your speakers. It either points to something else like RF interference or a grounding issue with the amplifier.

I'm aware it shouldn't, but it does. :D I really can't explain it myself, but it's not a 60Hz ground loop hum, it doesn't happen with another PSU connected, and it still happens with everything else except the PC and speakers disconnected from the receiver.

If I hadn't modded the original fan I'd just send it in for a warranty replacement, but like I said since I can't do that I'll be trying the 600W one instead.

OK, anyone got it already? Is it loud or not?
Idle/load experience please

I have a really basic question.... I want to make sure I've plugged my GPU in to the SX600-G correctly before I run any 3D/demanding apps.

The PCI-E cable with the blue connector at the PSU is plugged into the 8 pin socket on the GPU, and I remember reading somewhere that the 6 pin connector should come from a different cable, not the same blue PCI-E one? Is that right? For the 6 pin I used an adaptor that came with the GPU that converts the 6 pin into 2 of those older style (molex?) connectors with the 4 horizontal pins in them. So The 6 pin is being supplied by 2x molex connectors from the same cable that plugs into a different (black) socket on the PSU.

Cheers

I have a really basic question.... I want to make sure I've plugged my GPU in to the SX600-G correctly before I run any 3D/demanding apps.

The PCI-E cable with the blue connector at the PSU is plugged into the 8 pin socket on the GPU, and I remember reading somewhere that the 6 pin connector should come from a different cable, not the same blue PCI-E one? Is that right? For the 6 pin I used an adaptor that came with the GPU that converts the 6 pin into 2 of those older style (molex?) connectors with the 4 horizontal pins in them. So The 6 pin is being supplied by 2x molex connectors from the same cable that plugs into a different (black) socket on the PSU.

Cheers

just use the 2x(6+2) PCIe cable (i.e the one with the blue connector) ....

there is a reason why silverstone didn't include two separate cables.
The PSU is a single rail one anyway ...

just use the 2x(6+2) PCIe cable (i.e the one with the blue connector) ....

there is a reason why silverstone didn't include two separate cables.
The PSU is a single rail one anyway ...
Awesome, thank you. That will certainly remove some clutter

Indeed, I actually like it they did it this way because of clutter. But I hate it for sleeving, with the very short bend. I gave up, mainly because it's my main PC which I actually use.

Indeed, I actually like it they did it this way because of clutter. But I hate it for sleeving, with the very short bend. I gave up, mainly because it's my main PC which I actually use.

Hey Phuncz are you talking about the bend from each connector because the cables that come with the SX600-G the length is like 5x as long as the cable you get with the 450w and even the flex cable set you can buy.

IMG_20140813_174949.jpg

I had similar issues but with a SG05, high ambient temp 2500k and 770gtx, PSU started acting up then it died a few weeks later...

Oops, look like I misspoke when I said Tuesday. :D

FrozenCPU sent two partial shipments, and I suspect that the portion coming tomorrow is the fans I ordered, and the PSU itself won't be arriving until the end of the week.

Is there anyone who has this psu can tell how loud is it?

+100000000000

http://www.overclock.net/t/1365342/ncase-m1-prototype-a-mini-itx-case/380#post_22712177

A note on the SX600-G - have yet to see the fan come on, even with a 10min burn of prime95/furmark, which i was very impressed with. actually no it just came on while im writing this. a small click as the motor kicks in and then i cant hear it over the 2.5" HDD and the H80i pump. fan is very quiet.

I haven't had the chance to do much with my M1 since building it, but the fan on my SX600-G barely comes on. So far I've only tested a short 10min BF4 session + leaving the PC running all day downloading so not much of a test really. My fan is mounted towards inside the case so it should be warm in there. When it does eventually come on it's very low RPM, I put my ear up to it with panels off and can't hear it at all. All I can hear is my loud ass GPU and the H60 pump, so hopefully people with watercooled GPUs can give a better indication. I can do some testing in a few days

Looks like it's in stock at Newegg.

Dang, wtf. Went there just to order the SX600-G (or to think about it some more), and checked-out with that, and a 4790k, Intel mini PCIe wi-fi card, Noctua A15, and some ArcticClean.

Thanks a lot guys :rolleyes::D

Don't forget to save 10% with their VISA checkout code VCO, if you order from NE (LINK)

Same i've been running with a 4770K + Nvidia GTX 780Ti with the SF45SFG with NO problems!

LL

that link to OCN is to my build with the SX600-G.

i have noted now that when the temps are hovering at the point that the fan wants to come on it gets a little indecisive about turning on. i hear a couple of 'chirps' is it goes to start and then decides not to. the only reason i hear these chirps is that my 2.5" HDD isnt spinning at the time and im running super quiet fan profiles.

when the fan is on i can hear it (with only case fans running - NB eLoop PWM's) with my ear 30cm from the case but not from where i usually sit - which has the M1 on my left side, meaning the fan is directly exposed to the open air ad my ear.

its as quiet and as noticeable as the 120mm fan in my Silverstone Strider Gold 750w - which i think is goddamn amazing.

@callumbolch,

Thanks for your short review on the 600W, so it's safe to say that it's a dramatic improvement over the SFX 450W version right?

@callumbolch,

Thanks for your short review on the 600W, so it's safe to say that it's a dramatic improvement over the SFX 450W version right?

having never used the 450w SFX, and the 600w being my first SFX experience i have to say that its not noticeable from any of the ATX PSU's ive had (corsair and silverstone models), which can only be good in my books.

having never used the 450w SFX, and the 600w being my first SFX experience i have to say that its not noticeable from any of the ATX PSU's ive had (corsair and silverstone models), which can only be good in my books.

Argh, can't wait to get mine! I hate living in Europe when it comes to hardware product releases. Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting...

Silverstone is doing a great job developing these enthusiast PSU's. If I had some money left over I'd throw it at this.

Back