Silverstone SST-SX600-G 600w Gold SFX

They also don't make 600W SFX power supplies. Their highest wattage SFX PSU is 350W, little more than half that, and uses a 60mm fan (listed as 80mm, but checking the part number reveals it's a fairly boring 60mm ADDA ball-bearing fan).

This is why I like Seasonic. They don't cheap out

They also don't make 600W SFX power supplies. Their highest wattage SFX PSU is 350W, little more than half that, and uses a 60mm fan (listed as 80mm, but checking the part number reveals it's a fairly boring 60mm ADDA ball-bearing fan).

Seasonic tends to have higher quality standards, but their PSUs demand a premium price. You get what you pay for - and from my experience I've been pleased. They aren't interested in SFX, though, so... there's that. In fact their SFX PSUs seem to be for OEMs only.

Yes they are. GTFO. Cutting costs is what got Silverstone here in the first place.
no idea how 80mm fans are but just look at these and have fun clicking around
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-35/recapitulatif-db-a-vs-cfm.html
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/867-23/graphique-recapitulatif.html
i personally fail to see why noctuas are so highly regarded. the build quality and bearing longetivity is probably good but they're still overpriced.
the point is, you don't need to increase costs by 20eu for better fans.

Chieftec SFX-500GD-C is now available in Germany and perhaps other countries as well. Has anyone tested it?

My SST-SX600-G is from the very first batch that was sent to Australia. I unpacked it for the first time last night, and when I went to install it in my M1 I proceeded to strip the threads on 3 out of the 6 screw holes in the PSU casing. I barely tightened the screws, and they just began to spin freely.

Upon closer inspection, the PSU casing is very thin and only provides 1-2 turns of thread for the screw to engage. I've applied to PCCG to return the unit because although I caused the damage, I was shocked as to how easy it was to do.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

My SST-SX600-G is from the very first batch that was sent to Australia. I unpacked it for the first time last night, and when I went to install it in my M1 I proceeded to strip the threads on 3 out of the 6 screw holes in the PSU casing. I barely tightened the screws, and they just began to spin freely.

Upon closer inspection, the PSU casing is very thin and only provides 1-2 turns of thread for the screw to engage. I've applied to PCCG to return the unit because although I caused the damage, I was shocked as to how easy it was to do.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Not that I've heard of. Which screws did you use?? I've used 4 of the "F" screws (#6-32 with ridged bottom) that were included with the M1 for mounting both my ST45SF-G and SX600-G..

http://i.imgur.com/wcUS9vc.jpg

Not that I've heard of. Which screws did you use?? I've used 4 of the "F" screws (#6-32 with ridged bottom) that were included with the M1 for mounting both my ST45SF-G and SX600-G..

http://i.imgur.com/wcUS9vc.jpg

Ok this is awkward - I think I used the "G" screws. They are smaller than the "F" screws, so perhaps the screw hole threads are not stripped after all...

I'll check again tonight and confirm.

Last edited:
no idea how 80mm fans are but just look at these and have fun clicking around
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/874-35/recapitulatif-db-a-vs-cfm.html
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/867-23/graphique-recapitulatif.html
i personally fail to see why noctuas are so highly regarded. the build quality and bearing longetivity is probably good but they're still overpriced.
the point is, you don't need to increase costs by 20eu for better fans.

Interesting, but which fan are they using as a reference?

Ok this is awkward - I think I used the "G" screws. They are smaller than the "F" screws, so perhaps the screw hole threads are not stripped after all...

I'll check again tonight and confirm.

Yep - I was using the wrong set of screws. The PSU is fine. :rolleyes:

So I though I should add my experience so far with the SX600G as I have used it already for about 2 weeks in my M1.

The basic idea is that it is very quiet for the most part for me. It's not silent, I can still hear it, but only when I listen to it less than 30cm away and even then it's a pleasant low hum. However there's a catch. I was unable so far to test this in gaming and here's why: I have a Gigabyte 970 G1, which is incredibly loud in the M1. It's so loud that it drowns anything from the system when under load. So far I was unable to put the fans under 1500RPM (which under stress put the card around 77C), and even then it's by far the loudest component in the system, even in idle.

So I tested under stress but with a stock CPU and no GPU so there wasn't too much of a load on it. Luckily it seems my unit does not have coil whine (there is a noticeable coil while but it's very low in intensity and I can only hear it if I put my ear at about 1cm above the PSU). Also, the birds are there when the fan starts (first time it happened I was actually looking for my cats as I was thinking they were dragging a poor bird into the house or something, but then I remembered that the fan sings :D)

So until I am able to mod my GPU to lower the fans in idle or replace them with quieter ones, I can say that the PSU is quiet enough for most people, although it's not inaudible. But it's waaaaaay more quieter than the stock 300W SFX PSU that I got with the SG05 so I'm quite happy with my acquisition :)

I just got an SX600G and the fan starts to spin up after ~5 minutes. The fan will try to spin up but it doesn't. It makes a chirping sound like a bird with each try and it usually takes about 5-6 times before its actually spinning. Once it spins its fairly quiet. Is this normal?

I just got an SX600G and the fan starts to spin up after ~5 minutes. The fan will try to spin up but it doesn't. It makes a chirping sound like a bird with each try and it usually takes about 5-6 times before its actually spinning. Once it spins its fairly quiet. Is this normal?

Mine usually takes ~15 minutes to start up. Every once in a while the fan will sound like it's trying to start up, but takes a little while until it does. Only ever get 1 birdy chirp per boot, though.

I have the same on my brand new SX-600-G?!?

Edit: ..and if it finally starts spinning it's chirping for some time until it reaches "final rpm" - i think

I have the same on my brand new SX-600-G?!?

Edit: ..and if it finally starts spinning it's chirping for some time until it reaches "final rpm" - i think

The fan in the PSU is a 12v (ADDA AD0812UB-D91) and it's being voltage controlled (it's a 2 pin/wire connection). Given the rudimentary curve Silverstone provides and the comprehensive testing done earlier in the thread by Aibohphobia, and the data I was able to find, the fan's starting voltage is just under 3v.

The PSU is most likely sending a small current down the line, and it's not strong enough to start the fan - but it's just enough to pulse the motor a little.

I've got the fan in front of me, and when just spinning it by hand, I both feel and hear a clicking/ticking noise. It's something to do with the bearing and at low speeds, there's some resistance.

That's what I gathered from the "chirping" and clicking sounds people describe when the fan is on the border of starting. I guess this was not tested at a silent lab at Silverstone before the engineers gave the go-ahead. Otherwise they would have let it start with an offset (0v...0v...0v...0v...4v...5v...6v...7v... and so on).

It may very well have been an exemplary issue with the fans where the few they had (if only testing a few) were less resistant. It may also have been something overlooked, like more resistance in wiring just bringing it to the brink of starting instead of just over it.

This seems like it might still be a hot topic, I took some videos of the PSU to hopefully better describe some of the quirks of the PSU.

I couldn't get both the chirping as well as the fan spinup in the same video, the noise is quite faint and hard to capture with a cellphone properly but between the two it should be possible to get a better idea of what's going on

The noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni5NyvpOU-w

The video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_81qHx_LSE

This seems like it might still be a hot topic, I took some videos of the PSU to hopefully better describe some of the quirks of the PSU.

I couldn't get both the chirping as well as the fan spinup in the same video, the noise is quite faint and hard to capture with a cellphone properly but between the two it should be possible to get a better idea of what's going on

The noise:

The video:

Wow that would drive me nuts lol
I had the 450W modular version and returned it because it made noise like it was at max load or something.

The noise:

The video:

That sound at ~29 seconds is one I hear alot from mine.

Question for the guys that have tried the fan on the SX600 pointing to the inside and outside. Was there a noticeable difference in the fan whine?

Mine is currently pointing outwards to intake fresh air, but I've noticed that the fan whine is quite noticeable. Just wondering if I point it inwards, if it would muffle the fan noise some before I take apart my NCase again....

Question for the guys that have tried the fan on the SX600 pointing to the inside and outside. Was there a noticeable difference in the fan whine?

Mine is currently pointing outwards to intake fresh air, but I've noticed that the fan whine is quite noticeable. Just wondering if I point it inwards, if it would muffle the fan noise some before I take apart my NCase again....

The only whine I've ever had from the SX600-G has always emanated from the top of my M1 (from the perforated exhaust on the PSU). If anything, pointing the intake inward might muffle the PSU fan's chattering sound (or possibly cause the sound to bounce around inside and either out the top or out the other side, depending on which components you have installed).

I'd really like to try an A/B test of inward vs outward (or hear from someone who has), but it will probably take another additional reason for me to justify unseating my CPU cooler again just to remove the dang PSU :p

The only whine I've ever had from the SX600-G has always emanated from the top of my M1 (from the perforated exhaust on the PSU). If anything, pointing the intake inward might muffle the PSU fan's chattering sound (or possibly cause the sound to bounce around inside and either out the top or out the other side, depending on which components you have installed).

I'd really like to try an A/B test of inward vs outward (or hear from someone who has), but it will probably take another additional reason for me to justify unseating my CPU cooler again just to remove the dang PSU :p

I have my 450W SFX mounted with the intake inward and the fan is loud on load.
Took off the top panel and the air inside the case was quite warm even though I have a 120mm fan pointing towards the PSU. Will try mount the PSU intake the other way around, atleast the intake air should be a bit cooler.

An A/B test would definitely be interesting. Although it might matter where your case is placed. E.g. my case is on the floor, thus in theory it should be less noisy than if it was placed on the table closer to ear height. My point is that while it might make a difference if your case is on the table, it might not make a difference if it's placed on the floor.

As for the orientation of my PSU I've currently got the intake pointing inwards, but am planning to turn it around. As Reckie said this should in theory make the intake air cooler.

Last edited:

Thanks for the responses guys. At first I though my SX600 was dead silent, but I had only tried a few games with it. I tried with "Evil Within" demo yesterday definitely noticed the PS fan noise I never heard before.

Guess I will have to see what the effort is in flipping it.

Thanks for the responses guys. At first I though my SX600 was dead silent, but I had only tried a few games with it. I tried with "Evil Within" demo yesterday definitely noticed the PS fan noise I never heard before.

Guess I will have to see what the effort is in flipping it.

What GPU and CPU are you using in this system?

My experience has been positive flipping the PSU around, but several variables have changed beyond just that one change.

The case resides to my left. Originally, the PSU was facing outwards, so the fan would have been facing towards me when taking in fresh air. I did notice chatter when my system was idle and ambient noise fairly quiet. It annoyed me enough over time to make the switch.

The PSU is now facing inwards and sound is better. Measuring diagonally from the power button to my seated position, I sit about 3.5 feet away.

Additional variables that have also changed:

- The case resides approximately 1 foot further from me than it did in the past, to make room for a speaker. It would have been about 2.5 feet away before.

- One of my Kanto YU5 speakers is now positioned where the case once was. There's about 4.5 inches of room between the two. The case is setup for positive pressure, so this allows air to pass through that and out the case without rebounding back in.

These factors, along with a 120mm fan providing air in it's general direction, and chatter sound diminishing by both pointing in the opposite direction and rebounding in the case before exiting the case, have probably alleviated the issue enough that it's no longer a concern for my particular case.

My experience has been positive flipping the PSU around, but several variables have changed beyond just that one change..

Thank you!

Seating position is definitely a reason I'm hesitant to switch my intake from external to internal. Been using my rig in a temporary location for quite some time, with case/PSU only a foot or two in front of me and off to the left (so the outward chatter is quiet noticeable at times). Already have my new desk in place, but have been waiting months for a monitor to release before moving things.. and I'm planning on having the PC off to my right.

With intake inward, do you notice any chatter coming out the top or left side if you were in a position to have the PC to your right?

Ok, so I've been hearing a "chattering" noise coming from my N1. It's constant. As soon as I turn it on the sound starts.

I thought it was one of my case fans so I unplugged them all, but the sound was still there. So then I though it might be my video card. Took that out and turned the PC on again and the sound was still there.

Turns out the constant, chattering sound is coming from my SX600. It's not a coil whine. It's just a constant chattering with some of that high to low pitched bomb-dropping sound thrown in once in awhile.

I hate this PSU.

I thought it had been reported that this power supply's 80 mm fan was operating between 0 and 5 volts. The recent review at PC Perspective has a photo of the fan's label that indicates its a 12 V fan. I'm confused. So, is this fan being run at 5V or less by the PS circuitry? It must have a really low starting voltage. Link to the review: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/SilverStone-SX600-G-SFX-600W-Power-Supply-Review

Photo:
11-Fan.jpg

Also: the CoolerMaster Elite 130 comes with a similar fan (80 mm diameter, 15 mm thickness). I wonder how similar that fan is to the one in the SX600-G.

I also here the chirp/squeal here and there, but my fan is otherwise nearly completely silent. I thought something else was wrong initially but so far after a month of usage, the PSU itself seems fine.

Do you guys think Silverstone will ever develop a 500W or more passively cooled SFX PSU?

Systems that require SFX power supplies aren't usually known for being the best for natural airflow inside the cases... so I'd wager the answer is a "no."

I would be happy to get something the size of SX500-LG but fanless. I think the current 'smallest' fanless power supplies are like 160mm

Back