Silverstone SG03 new build **PICS**

Yeah. The take-home message is: it's possible, you won't break anything by levering it off, but take your time and don't destroy it in the process. It took me a lot of prodding and pulling, but it does come off eventually.

I used the awl tool on my swiss army knife... just get it under the corner and, as you slide it in, it lifts the grille up from the tab. easier than I expected.

My pics from build this week. I opted not to use my sata hard drive because if this build had bombed I would still be able to use my old computer for school purposes.

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

I was curious about the subject of HD temps. So I read through the thread and have not seen a firm answer to the question, but I can infer one. Since the hd's don't have a fan directly on them there must not be a problem with keeping them cool.

I have an SG01, you guys think I could do the same? If I did that would have the my ST50EF-SC and VF-900 keeping my system cool.

BTW: I like the build pics, I'll have to gallery-ize my computer one day,

Hard drives can definitely overheat... I personally have never had a drive fail, but mine are heatsinked, and have active cooling. This is only cause they're stacked on each other. A single drive with open ventilation and non-active cooling should be fine in almost every case (that i've seen).

Oh yeah, and i'm pretty sure that overheating is the main reason hard drives die.

Im thinking about buying this or the sugo 1 windowed edition and try to put a vfd screen(or what ever there called) into that little slot in the front. Which one should i go with?

Any1 wanna try fitting a CoolerMaster GeminiII in this thing? It's only 3mm taller than the NT06.

EDIT: On second thought mebbe not. Those PSU supports might be a problem.

it fits. ;p
geminsg03front.JPG

geminsg03toppsu.JPG

stock voltz 3.0Ghz e6320 idle 31C -> 51C load

take off the fan supports, and it fits fine. it might even be able to fit the supports, but i don't think there's any reason to have them there.

I'm looking for a cpufan which can blow air against the back of the case(blowing from the 12cm fans in front), but i understand that this is difficult due to the low space between the cpu and psu. My suggestions are either the "Scythe Ninja Mini", silverstone NT06, or Zalman CNPS9700. Will the CNPS9700 or the "ninja" fit the SG03? The cpu is a 65n q6600.
how are the temps of these compared with the coolermaster geminll? - some reviews says that the cooling performance is not proportional to size..
Thanks

After running my setup for weeks now I've got some information to share.

First of all, I have my video card heavily overclocked. I run at 690/1750/1060. Note: in my antec 900 I never got artifacts of any kind.

So far, CPU temps are fine, the PSU might get hot during the day but it's fine.

The only thing that does get me worried is the heat of my 8800GTS. The back of the PCB gets insanely warm. So warm that it causes COD4 to crash sometimes. I would get artifacts too but I keep going with it because the game is so much fun lol.

With that said, I'm starting to wonder how people are running quads and having their cards not over heat.

I'm looking for a cpufan which can blow air against the back of the case(blowing from the 12cm fans in front), but i understand that this is difficult due to the low space between the cpu and psu. My suggestions are either the "Scythe Ninja Mini", silverstone NT06, or Zalman CNPS9700. Will the CNPS9700 or the "ninja" fit the SG03? The cpu is a 65n q6600.
how are the temps of these compared with the coolermaster geminll? - some reviews says that the cooling performance is not proportional to size..
Thanks

yah, the geminII is huge in the case. takes up a lot of space, and probably hinders a lot of air movement. i've cleaned up my cables and it still looks cluttered in there. air comes in through the front two fans, out through the video card slot, and out the psu. i still dont have a quadcore, so i can't say anything about that. compared to the original poster who uses an nt06 lite, they get:
So far my CPU idle/load temps are 46/56 with a single 120mm intake fan, which are the same CPU temps as my Fragbox2 (SG01) with the exact same components and CPU cooler installed.....

CPU is C2D E4300 @ 2.88 (9x320) at stock voltages

Next I plan to add a second 120mm fan and then try out the 8800GTX ;)

Best? Well, the NT06-Lite is pretty popular with the SG03. Not sure if its the best though. I've heard of people using the 7700. Not sure if the newer 8000 and 8700 fit or not. You'd have to check on that.

Anyone using the SilverStone ST85F with the SG03? SilverStone's site shows that it has the same dimensions as the ST60F, BUT it has a larger 135mm fan.

Someone in this thread put a 1kw psu in their SG03 so I don't see why a 850w wouldn't fit.

Mini frankenthread :D

Has anyone considered watercooling a Q6600 in the SG03? What implications would you run into if you used the Swiftech h20-120? Not upto par with watercooling, but that kit is a small one, so it might fit in there? Perhaps?

Should the two 120mm fans up front be pushing air into the case or sucking air out of it?

Mine are pulling air (intake) into the case. I believe this is the intended design use of the front fans.

Hey guys. Some great SG03 builds. I have actually just ordered the main bulk of my setup and was wondering what you guys think of my build, or what someone would do different. Here are the parts on the way:

1) SILVERSTONE SG03-B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2) GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

3) Q6600 G0 Stepping

4) ZALMAN CNPS8700 2 Ball CPU Cooler

5) OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

6) EVGA 8800GTS 512MB (mainly for the step-up program)

7) CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

7) 2x Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm Case Fans

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

You dont need that much psu for that set up. Even if you plan to OC its overkill. Top end would be a Corsair HX620w IMO. The HX520w would be more than plenty even. So would the 500w short cable version Silverstone offers. If you want extra for future upgrades then I wouldnt go beyond the HX620w but thats just my thinking.

I dare anyone to put together an SFF build that would need more than 520 watts, or even 620 watts if you can. There's seriously no reason to have more than 500 or 600 watts in an SFF build. You can't even fit in enough components to exhaust a 500/600 watt PSU!

Let's say you have:

1. Quad core CPU
2. 2 optical drives
3. 3 harddrives (assuming your case fits 3, I know the Lanbox does)
4. 8800 GT/GTS

Once you put all those in, you've basically filled most mATX cases. All those parts would run on a good 500w PSU with power to spare. Even if you SLI'd some 8800's, you'd still be fine with a 600w PSU.

There's just no reason to put giant PSU's in mATX cases. All they do is take up more space.

i don't really like the hiper/hiper type psu's. are you looking for a bling bling led infused psu? or do you prefer more silence/reliability...? you can't go wrong with a corsair 520hx. it was $69.99 after $30 mir at frys.com last week, but the lowest i've seen it today is at buy.com for $89.99 after $10 mir.
another good choice would be the thermaltake toughpower series.
yes, i know that there aren't any really good psu deals this week, but if you're willing to wait a little longer you might be able to grab one for a good price. definitely won't regret it if you do. the hiper's are pretty good i hear, but they just have never been aesthetically pleasing to me.
i prefer an enermax liberty ($63.99 after $30mir) over them even though i've heard about a few of them. blowing up.
the silverstone striders are pretty good too. 600watt $110 after $10 mir. silverstone makes short cable sets for this too i believe.

true bout what skott and TWO515TY say though, you don't really need that much power for matx systems... seein as how some of the intel matx boards have an open end 4x pcie maybe... 2 x 2900xt's or 3870's might do it, but ummm yah... don't know anyone willing to do that.

Thanks for all of your replies guys. This is my first time actually trying to build an SFF from scratch since i've been solely using Shuttles for the past few years. Looks like I will go ahead and get a refund on the PSU that I recently purchased (will arrive monday) and take a Corsair 520HX. I was searching around and Buy.com actually has a pretty sweet deal on it at this time it seems.

Corsair 520W SLI Certified Modular ATX Power Supply - CMPSU-520HX $79 (with $10 rebate and 1st time Google Checkout) with Free Shipping!

Do you guys have much experience with Newegg returns? Do they charge a restocking fee most of the time?

Once again, thanks for your input. Any other suggestions or changes people may want to let me know about for my build, just let me know.

are you looking for a bling bling led infused psu? or do you prefer more silence/reliability...?

I don't give a rat's bootay about bling bling psu's. :p Give me the silence and reliability any time.

Mine will be on the way shortly from directron.com. I intend to water cool and wonder if you fellas would lend a hand.

Would you do some measurements of the area directly behind the two fans to determine if internal watercooling would be an option? I was considering a H20-220 kit and in order to fit, there should be a 40mm gap between the top fan hole and the bottom of the optical tray, and a 35mm gap between the bottom fan hole and the top of the hard drive bays. The rad is also 125mm wide and about 26mm thick; I imagine it might have issues with passing over the bottom front edge of the motherboard, so if you can provide information regarding how much/if the motherboard tray is recessed from the fan holes that would be perfect.

Thanks!

here is my dilemma. i'm on the hunt for a decent 3.5" fan controller to put in the location of the floppy drive in the SG03 case. However, most of the controllers i have seen all include protruding knobs and this will not work because the hinged-cover will not be able to sit flush against the case.

so, does anyone have any good suggestions or knowledge of flat 3.5" fan controllers? i've found this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6555/bus-115/Aerocool_EasyWatch_35_Fan_Controller_Temperature_Monitoring_Panel_-_Black.html which is ugly as all hell, and honestly doesn't look like it would work that great. Also, here is another: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1310/cpa-107/Lian-Li_TR-03_35_Thermal_Monitor_and_Fan_Controller_-_Black.html. This one looks ALRIGHT, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've just ordered Lian Li's TR-03, since it had a good price, was simpel and was 3.5"

well, i'll be waiting to hear back on your thoughts and impressions on it. post up when you've got a solid opinion on it. i'll be waiting... under your bed! :eek:

@illybang... well you must be very slim.... I sleep on a futon couch :p

a ninja hides where he is least expected... now, give me your fan controller review! :D

hey, did you get that fan controller yet? how well does it work? is it worth the money? does it fit well in the sg03?

what the heck? how would that fit flush? That thing has huge knobs! let me ask that foo. he probably just has the fan controller pushed into the case quite a bit... but it doesn't look like it from the pic. let me ask him. thanks for posting that though.

Look at the bottom of where the fan controller is. There's a little space in front of where the fan controller flushes with the case. I'm sure that small space is how the the knobs can fit.

The door of the Sugo 3 is actually about 1/2 an inch from the face of the 3 1/2 bay (measure from the center where the nobs will actually be and again a 1/4 an inch on either side to account for the width of the nob).

This is to the original poster. How did you manage to mount fans underneath the NT-06 heatsink? I am planning to do this with a single 120mm fan to improve cooling and have some ideas, but wanted to see if you could share your thoughts on it. Right now my PSU is turned inwards so that the PSU intake fan draws heat from the heatsink. It has worked very well for my Allendale (I have my 1.8 OCed to 3.0GHz), but I am upgrading to a Wolfdale soon and am wondering if I should tweak it. Thanks for any info.

I dare anyone to put together an SFF build that would need more than 520 watts, or even 620 watts if you can. There's seriously no reason to have more than 500 or 600 watts in an SFF build. You can't even fit in enough components to exhaust a 500/600 watt PSU!

Let's say you have:

1. Quad core CPU
2. 2 optical drives
3. 3 harddrives (assuming your case fits 3, I know the Lanbox does)
4. 8800 GT/GTS

Once you put all those in, you've basically filled most mATX cases. All those parts would run on a good 500w PSU with power to spare. Even if you SLI'd some 8800's, you'd still be fine with a 600w PSU.

There's just no reason to put giant PSU's in mATX cases. All they do is take up more space.

my new SUGO system works fine and has a Corsair HX520 with:

Q6700
4GB PC6400
9800GX2
2 HD's
Xonar D2
Optical Drive

Here is a pic of it:
post-2-1209749196.jpg

This is to the original poster. How did you manage to mount fans underneath the NT-06 heatsink? I am planning to do this with a single 120mm fan to improve cooling and have some ideas, but wanted to see if you could share your thoughts on it. Right now my PSU is turned inwards so that the PSU intake fan draws heat from the heatsink. It has worked very well for my Allendale (I have my 1.8 OCed to 3.0GHz), but I am upgrading to a Wolfdale soon and am wondering if I should tweak it. Thanks for any info.

I'm not the original poster, but that never stopped me before :cool:

First of all, important to do a dry run. Before installing your motherboard, put it on the table, install the CPU, attach the heatsink (no thermal compound, it's a dry run), and wedge the fan under there. You may find that, of the 4 different directions you can point the heatsink, one is preferable.

Second, you'll get a better fit if you remove the black SilverStone shroud. It's just for show but gets in the way. Unscrew it and stash away.

Third, make sure it's blowing upwards. I messed this up once and didn't find out until after assembling the machine. Cue disassembly, cursing, etc. etc. Don't do it.

You can attach the fan with twist ties, but here's my secret: 2-inch wide adhesive tape. Duct tape, sellotape, whatever you have that's strong, sticky and can take moderate heat. Put it all around the edges, get it in there. Another advantage is that it's "airtight".

With this setup, I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.0GHz with some thermal headroom to spare (it hits about 65°C on the very hottest Prime95 test; around 55°C for gaming; and perhaps 35°C at idle).

Hey thanks for the reply Calroth. I'll give it a try this weekend and post back with pics. I love this case and has been really good to my Allendale. I hope I can say the same for my new Wolfdale.

One other question: should I keep the PSU turned inwards to continue to draw heat from the heatsink with the fan mounted underneath? I was planning on keeping it turned inwards in the hopes that the fan underneath WITH the PSU also sucking out the hot air would improve cooling. However I've never tested this and am wondering if others have.

Back