Silverstone SG03 new build **PICS**

I've recently finished my Sugo3. Some of you may have seen these already, but here they go.

DSC00617.jpg

The hardware is a Phenom 9500 on a 780G Gigabyte board with 4GB of GSkill DDR2-1000, a 1TB WD GP hard drive; an Avermedia AverTV combo and Auzentech Prelude X-Fi round out my little media center. The chipset cooler is a Jing Ting JTS-0006 and the stock AMD cooler is being replaced with an apogee drive (H20-120) soon. The whole kit is powered by a 520HX.

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00629.jpg

Darkness

Thanks for lookin'

Just for the heck of it,

Has anyone tried mounting an exhaust fan directly to the back of their PSU (if your PSU doesn't already have one). I've been thinking about possibly just sticking a fan on the outside of the back of the case directly over my PSU to better help exhaust. Any thoughts?

BTW, I start modding tomorrow and will post pics when done. I plan to OC my E8400 and want to hit at least 4GHz.

RonindeBeatrice, your case reminds me of a 750 watt pc power and cooling psu... the old copper colored one that they used to sell. real nice case though... is that an led fan? if the light were coming from just the inside of the case i bet it'd look even better...

man i would so do a build with this case if only there was a 45nm intel SLI mATX mobo availible. Q_Q

The problem with the slot fans is that they can be somewhat noisy. Not as efficient as the regular case fans too. Noise is the bigger problem from what I have heard from people that use them. Shop around though because there are many models out there that move anything from a little to a lot of air.

After a couple of hours of working on my system, I was able to mount a 92mm fan under the NT06 (a 120mm fan would not fit on my mobo as the mobo heatsink was too large and would hit the fan). With the addition of an exhaust fan that I placed on the back of the PSU, I was able to improve my temps by about 5 - 7 degrees C. This allowed me to OC my E8400 to a little over 3.7GHz. It can hit 4GHz stable at 1.3875 voltage, but this is one hot chip and I don't think my current setup would cool it well enough (I was seeing 65 degrees under full load, ouch).

One thing to note - if you do decide to put a fan under the heatsink, make sure it moves fast enough to push the air up. I made the mistake of putting a slower fan on the heatsink at first and this actually degraded the cooling performance of the heatsink for some reason (and it was pointing the correct way). I ended up using an ANTEC fan that is a little noisy at full speed, but with the fan controller I have it's very quiet at its lowest setting, so I can crank it up only when I need it.

I'll try to post some pics a bit later.

Finally some pics...sorry this took so long.

Here is the NT06 with a 92mm fan mounted underneath. I stripped a CAT5 cable and used the wire pairs to mount the fan:

2504276253_bbf262b46b_b.jpg

Here is the top view of the open side:

2505107356_2de67bc578_b.jpg

I ended up using an Antec Spot Cool fan for the rear exhaust. It doesn't mount directly on the PSU, but you can position it to sit right on top of it so it works just as well:

2505106880_45aab319cf_b.jpg

Finished product:

2504275425_f83664a923_b.jpg

My desk:

2505107040_ce6e1478c0_b.jpg

I ended up doing the vdroop pencil mod to my ASUS P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. This allowed me to set my vcore to 1.34 and have a max OC of 3.8GHz for my E8400 (FSB of 510 at 1:1). I could get 4GHz out of it easily, but the NT06 just can't keep it cool enough when I try to raise it that high.

Overall though, I am pleased as I didn't even expect 3.8 from a SFF. And even with the fan on the heatsink, the rear fan, and the two 120mm front intakes, the case is incredibly quiet as I have a fan controller mounted on the front:

2504296823_0e3f34fe17_b.jpg

Simple, but it works like I want it to.

EDIT: I should have added a pic with my 3850 and HDs in it, but oh well. You get the idea.

I'm guessing not but did anyone ever figure out a way to get a replacement side panel without the ugly mesh hole?

My experience

I have been running the following inside my SG03 for 3 or 4 months now

Q6600 G0 step NT06
Gigabyte DS2R
4GB OCZ Reaper
8800GT Arctic Cooler + Turbo Module
Gigabyte Odin GT 550 PSU (14cm fan)
500GB Hitachi Sata
1TB Samsung Sata
Samsung Sata DVD Writer

Running Hackintosh and XP:D

This system was fairly quiet and temps were great mainly due to 2 things
1. The stock Silverstone Fan can push some serious Air
2. The Gigabyte PSU has a 14cm fan

I decided to upgrade and Get 2 Silverstone Suscools as they are temp controlled, and look sweet too. As the Stock fan did give a slight hum (I know im picky)

Fact is the Suscools just dont cut it in a system like the SG03, the 900rpm's isnt enough and I seriously doubt they shift the amount of air Silverstone state.

My temps increased into the late 70's (from mid 60's) using max core util.

A few weeks ago my Gigabyte PSU started making Fan Noise Grinding so I RMA'd it and got a Corsair HX520 as people have been raving about it, now im not dissing it as a PSU and its slim modular cables are fantastic, but as a HSF cooler it doesnt Cut it when compared to the Gigabytes 14cm fan.

I can say this as my temps shot up to almost 90:eek:

I know people will say what about the weather, but im in jolly old england and its been warm at best for most of the summer so far.

My Advice is get a good PSU with a 13.5 or 14cm fan like the Tagan BZ 500/600, these PSU's completely cover the NT06 and the fan is more central on the NT06 then most of the 12cm PSU's.

I ordered a couple of PWM fans to replace the Suscools will tell you how it go's.

I always knew air flow was important but never knew how much until I almost burnt my hand on the arctic cooling GPU heatsink, I took the Silverstone fan I got with the SG03 plugged it into a molex and pointed it at my gfx card for 2 minutes , temps dropped by 20 degrees, I then ordered the turbo module.

my advice guys is to buy fans that can really crank it up when your maxing out the cpu, just aslong as they go bloody quiet again when the jobs done:D

I think I may invest in an NT06-E when its out in the uk but I first want to see some proof that it stomp's it 3 pipe older brother:cool:

My temps with a HX-520 modular psu and a Zalman (fatal1ty series, forgot which numbers) are about 42-47 idle and a max of 55 under load, and thats with the zalman and 2 yate loons on the lowest rpm setting. I'll post again and see what temps are like with fans turned all the way up. Fan controller's modded into the top above the dvd drive :)

100_0495.jpg

100_0494.jpg

wow love these sugos .... makes me want to build a new computer

hey to the guy who posted pics of his sugo with a 9800gx2 can u post pictures of the clearance thnx

my advice guys is to buy fans that can really crank it up when your maxing out the cpu, just aslong as they go bloody quiet again when the jobs done:D

This is what I did with my fan controller which allowed me to gain a nice overclock. This case + a fan controller + better CFM fans still allows your case to be super quiet when you need it to be, but not lose much cooling when cranked up. Pretty damn good for a SFF IMO.

BTW, nice job ric0chet06. Wish I would have thought of painting the mesh another color like you did. Looks really nice.

Just upgraded my SG03 with 2 PWM arctic cooling fans, they are pretty quiet at stock 800RPM but when the 4 Cores are max the bios Ups them to 1500RPM which is abit noisey but I would expect that if I was gaming or encoding a video.

temps are now 50 & 79 they were 59 & 90 so its an improvement over the SUSCools

gonna sell this hx520 and get a TAgan BZ 600.

Onething I noticed guys is when you tighten up the screws on the NT06 it starts to make the Motherboard bow slightly, anyone else notice thise

My temps with a HX-520 modular psu and a Zalman (fatal1ty series, forgot which numbers) are about 42-47 idle and a max of 55 under load, and thats with the zalman and 2 yate loons on the lowest rpm setting. I'll post again and see what temps are like with fans turned all the way up. Fan controller's modded into the top above the dvd drive :)

100_0495.jpg

100_0494.jpg

very nice dude but im done with manual fan control my SG03 powers a 56 HDTV so there is noway I can be bothered to get up to change fan settings.

PWM is great I just wish gigabyte gave you the ability to edit the Temp/RPM states in the BIOS

Onething I noticed guys is when you tighten up the screws on the NT06 it starts to make the Motherboard bow slightly, anyone else notice thise
It's semi-well known. This is the "cause" of the keyboard/mouse/usb (I can't remember which) ports on the back panel not lining up correctly, if I recall.

Edit: If you have the electronics chops to recognise that this won't cause a problem (and a flagrant disregard for your warranty), then you can trim the "stubble" off the back of the motherboard with some clippers. If this makes you nervous, don't do it.

BTW, nice job ric0chet06. Wish I would have thought of painting the mesh another color like you did. Looks really nice.

Dude, all you need is a screw driver and about 20 minutes. First thing i did when I got the case was pop off the grills, paint em with 3 coats, and by the time they were dry the system was all set up and running.

I am suprised no of you modders have cut a blow hole on the top of the case, I have found that a 120mm fan fits perfectly behind my sata DVD drive, without interfearing with connections, it would be blowing right up against the exposed Heatpipes of the NT06

Okay guys swapped my Corsair 520 for a tagan BZ 600 the difference is 8 degrees at idle, my system now idles at 42/43, I have tried 3 PSU's in my system now both the Gigabyte odin GT and BZ 600 own the Corsair for cooling.

There is only one downer and that corsair really do make the best modular cables:(

Take my advice guys if you want a PSU to help keep your system cool get a 13.5/14cm one:cool:

my load temps are now 63

It's probably easier to swap the PSU fan with one that runs faster (and/or mod it to run faster).

Your PSU fan will run only fast enough to keep the PSU cool, especially if you have a PSU that is advertised as being quiet. If you want it to run fast enough to keep both case and PSU temperatures down, get a faster fan.

I am suprised no of you modders have cut a blow hole on the top of the case, I have found that a 120mm fan fits perfectly behind my sata DVD drive, without interfearing with connections, it would be blowing right up against the exposed Heatpipes of the NT06

If I were to buy another SG03 I'd certainly put a blow hole on top. Although I dont believe its totally necessary unless you plan to overclock. However, those planning to run a quad cpu may want to consider it.

For those that dont want to mod their own blow hole its my understanding that performancepc.com will do the mod for you. They already sell the SG03 unit so you could just pay the extra mod cost. They do excellent work. You would need to contact them for details and pricing.

I just upgraded to a 9800GX2 and as most of you know, this card expels alot of hot air back into the case. Right now, my SG03 has the standard cooling setup:

2x 120mm fans on the front sucking air into the case
ST85F PSU w/ 135mm fan above the CPU heatsink sucking air out of the case
PCI slot fan behind the optical drive sucking air out of the case.

What can I do (besides cutting a hole on the top of the case) to improve cooling? These are the only things I can think of:

- Reverse the front 120mm fan that's in front of the card so that it's sucking air out of the case as well (If I do, that would leave only the top 120mm fan on front the only one taking in cool air).

- Take the FX121 fan (currently not usable since I'm using the NT06 CPU heatsink) and mount it on the outside (opposite of where it would be mounted on the inside of the case).

- Mount another 120mm fan on the outside, right in front of the PCI slot brackets (should this fan be sucking air out of the case or sucking air from the outside and blowing it into the case?).

Would any of these things help to reduce temps. in the case? Anyone have any other suggestions?

- Reverse the front 120mm fan that's in front of the card so that it's sucking air out of the case as well (If I do, that would leave only the top 120mm fan on front the only one taking in cool air).

I think if you do that, and keep the top fan sucking air in, and the bottom fan blowing air out, that negates any airflow in the case since they are so close to each other, unless there is a divider between the 2 fans long enough to separate and make "chambers."

I think if you do that, and keep the top fan sucking air in, and the bottom fan blowing air out, that negates any airflow in the case since they are so close to each other, unless there is a divider between the 2 fans long enough to separate and make "chambers."

Yeah, someone has tried this with the SG03 and posted it didnt work so I wouldnt suggest it although he could try it and see for himself. He could cut a side blow hole and add a fan that blows inward or a top blow hole and fan that exhausts upward. If cutting holes is not in his equasion then the only thing left to do is put a slot fan cooler at the top rear and have it blow outward (exhaust). There are a number of them on the market but their downside is that they tend to be noisey and not as efficient as regular case fans. But they will fit assuming the psu isnt huge.

One other thing you can do is change out the fans you have in the front of the case. Most people use something like the Scythe 'E' model fans. I used the 'F' fans on mine. They move more air and they are actually pretty quiet. They arent too expensive and I would reccommend them for those that want to move the maximum amount of air for the SG03. I have found they were really well.

The only other thing I can think of to do off the top of my head would be to switch to water cooling but I wouldnt suggest it unless you plan on having the case sit and not moved much if at all.

your system is almost identical to mine, and to be honest i have had not trouble with overheating, even when running 3DMark2006 and Prime95 back to back.

I just upgraded to a 9800GX2 and as most of you know, this card expels alot of hot air back into the case. Right now, my SG03 has the standard cooling setup:

2x 120mm fans on the front sucking air into the case
ST85F PSU w/ 135mm fan above the CPU heatsink sucking air out of the case
PCI slot fan behind the optical drive sucking air out of the case.

What can I do (besides cutting a hole on the top of the case) to improve cooling? These are the only things I can think of:

- Take the FX121 fan (currently not usable since I'm using the NT06 CPU heatsink) and mount it on the outside (opposite of where it would be mounted on the inside of the case).

- Mount another 120mm fan on the outside, right in front of the PCI slot brackets (should this fan be sucking air out of the case or sucking air from the outside and blowing it into the case?).

Would any of these things help to reduce temps. in the case? Anyone have any other suggestions?

I just upgraded to a 9800GX2 and as most of you know, this card expels alot of hot air back into the case. Right now, my SG03 has the standard cooling setup:...
It's not too hard to measure, you know... just do it already. Turn a couple of fans around or anything else you suggest, and see if your temperatures drop. This would even be quicker than posting to this forum. Experiment, it's the way to go.

Actually, my opinion is that it won't shift your temperatures more than a few degrees either way...

You don't even say what CPU you have or what temperatures you're seeing. But if you want to drop your CPU temperature and have a spare 80mm or 120mm fan, see if you can wedge it under your heatsink pointing up. This is less easy to do since you will need to remove your motherboard. But in terms of bang for buck, that's the best way to cool your CPU.

Edit: It's not relevant now, but a few months down the line, you can drop your temperatures perhaps 5°C by following this tip...

I have my specs. in my sig.. Mine is dusted out every two to three weeks. My CPU idles ~40C and usually doesn't get much hotter than that. When gaming, it can get up to ~50C

I have my specs. in my sig.. Mine is dusted out every two to three weeks. My CPU idles ~40C and usually doesn't get much hotter than that. When gaming, it can get up to ~50C
Ah, I see your sig. (Normally I have signature display turned off.)

50°C is well below your chip's threshold. I wouldn't even worry about it.

With your GPU, if you had kept the stock cooling, then I would have trusted it to take care of itself. Since you have custom cooling, now you have to be concerned with how it's doing. But you knew that when you installed it :)

50°C is well below your chip's threshold. I wouldn't even worry about it.
Ugh, and here I was, almost had you convinced that you that you didn't need to fiddle with the chip any more.

If you're determined to tweak, have a look at your chip's voltage (Vcore). As you're probably aware, it's not the speed of the CPU that determines how hot it gets... it's the Vcore. By default, the Vcore is set slightly high to give a bit of headroom. You can try cranking it down in small steps, testing for errors at each step. You might be able to lower your temperatures this way, a bit.

I haven't updated my sig. yet to reflect the new 9800GX2 that I've put in to replace that 8800GT w/ custom cooling.

Back