Silverstone SG03 new build **PICS**

Yeah, I got a review unit and tested that first thing :)

I'm doing a sound test and cooling test this Tuesday to determine if that side vent actually help or hurts anything. After that a review should be out.
Excellent initiative! Nice to finally see someone measuring the sound output and also cooling performance from the box. Then of course, it depends on your front fan models, whether you want to go for silence or performance, and whether your PSU is facing outside or inside.

Also, that side vent may make the fan on the GPU more audible. To me, the vent is there for people who want to set their PSU to suck cold air from the outside, but is useless if you use it to cool the CPU through an NT-06. I don't think it's a black and white issue, it all depends of your needs.

Finally, some reviews have pointed at potential noise-inducing vibrations in the chassis, without actually clearly stating whether that is an issue or not. Could you investigate that (with a Raptor HDD for instance)? Thank you very much.

EDIT: clarified sentence.

SG03_8800GTX.jpg

8800GTX fits!

So much for my plans to put a 220mm rad in the front...;)

Any1 wanna try fitting a CoolerMaster GeminiII in this thing? It's only 3mm taller than the NT06.

EDIT: On second thought mebbe not. Those PSU supports might be a problem.

Steeeeve, how's the review going?

I don't want to hurry you, take your time, but I'm really interested in the tests you planned to do. Can we get some photos in the meantime? ;)

Steeeeve, how's the review going?

I don't want to hurry you, take your time, but I'm really interested in the tests you planned to do. Can we get some photos in the meantime? ;)

I'm doing sound tests to see if covering the side actually makes a difference. I hope to have it out next week :)

Nice setup dworley!

did you consider any other motherboards? how is the F-I90HD running? latest reviews on newegg don't seem good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127023

Also, do the video cards block the other PCI slots? Which PCI slots are available and which ones are blocked?

My F-I90HD has been working flawlessly and I could not be happier with the performance and overclocking capabilities. I am still using the original shipping BIOS which does accurately read CPU temps on my E4300. I bought the MB from Fry's when they were first available a few month's ago and have used it in my Fragbox2 and recently SG03 cases.

With my dual slot video card installed it blocks only 1 slot, so I have 1 standard PCI and 1 PCI-E x1 slots available.

There are numerous posts in this forum with members reporting their boards died, so there is evidently some issues with this board. I am fortuanate to have a good board for now and will not look to replace it until possibly one of the new AMD 7050 T-Force boards is available. ( I like the new T-Force version from Biostar)

one question about the sg03 build, how to mount the motherboard in the case?, with the NT06 heatsink attached or after the motherboard is mounted and fixed?

I think that nt06 is not attached before mount the motherboard, it's very difficult to do, or not?? :confused: :confused:

Thanks and sorry for my english.

Maybe it's me... But what is so great about this case? Maybe I'm the only one.

Nothing against you Dworley you have some great taste but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this case.

Nice internals though!

it is onlt about 70% of the volume ofc other popular SFF cases such as the Q-Micra 2 Q-pack 2, and yet it can fit dual 8800GTX cards while being exclusively cooled by 120mm fans.

Maybe it's me... But what is so great about this case? Maybe I'm the only one.

Nothing against you Dworley you have some great taste but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this case.

Nice internals though!

SG03 price was very reasonable and I prefer the brushed aluminum finish! The cooling performance is also very good and the system is practically silent under load with my (2) Nexus 120mm silent fans and NT06 lite CPU cooler. Styling is a personal preference as it is somewhat tall for an SFF! :D

My favorite system is still the Shuttle SD32G5 with an 8800GTX and OC'd C2D E4400 @3.0 ghz ;)

SD32_BEER.jpg

My favorite system is still the Shuttle SD32G5 with an 8800GTX and OC'd C2D E4400 @3.0 ghz ;)
Wait a minute, did you manage to run that setup using a smallish Shuttle PSU???

If so, I am definitely impressed with Shuttle power supplies. They could branch out in that direction, since the XPC market seems to be faring poorly...

If so, I am definitely impressed with Shuttle power supplies.

while Shuttle PSUs are far more capable than "friendly sushi xtreem kombat LED special" power supplies, if I remember correctly Dworley was running a separate 5.25" bay power supply for the 8800GTX in that build.

HAH! That little shuttle is awesome! Reminds me of an old muscle car with a supercharger poking through the hood! :D Nice!

In the SG03, how much space is there above the power supply? Probably not quite enough for a radiator and fan mounted to the top of the case, eh?

dworley, do you think the temps and noise levels on the SG03 will not increase drastically when a Q6600 is installed?

I plan on building one with the SG03, Q6600, NT06 Lite, Corsair 520PSU, integrated graphics for now but will probably buy a passive or mid-level card later. I think it is time to upgrade from my SN95G5v2 and hoping that the new build will be more quiet.

Are there any good overclocking mATX boards with integrated HDMI or DVI outputs yet? I'm looking for features like the SG33G5M has. Mainly HDMI and 8-channel audio with Dolby® Digital Live! and DTS® Connect.

dworley, do you think the temps and noise levels on the SG03 will not increase drastically when a Q6600 is installed?

I plan on building one with the SG03, Q6600, NT06 Lite, Corsair 520PSU, integrated graphics for now but will probably buy a passive or mid-level card later. I think it is time to upgrade from my SN95G5v2 and hoping that the new build will be more quiet.

Are there any good overclocking mATX boards with integrated HDMI or DVI outputs yet? I'm looking for features like the SG33G5M has. Mainly HDMI and 8-channel audio with Dolby® Digital Live! and DTS® Connect.

I'm not convinced that an NT06 Lite can handle a Q6600 - especially if you will be overclocking. You may need to use a fan under it like I did.

The Abit F-I90HD has HDMI/DVI output and it overclocks very well for me

The F-I90 HD has a high death rate though unfortunately. I'd avoid it. A shame too because when it does work it overclocks nicely.

I was able to setup the following system in this case:

-SilverStone SG03
-Corsair HX620W - Full ATX
-Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R - BIOS F4a
-Intel Q6600
-Zalman CNPS8700 LED
-QTY4 x OCZ 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz - OCZ2P800.R22GK
-WD 74GB Raptor
-QTY2 x SATA 500GB Seagate HD
-NEC DVD-RW

I have the single stock 120mm fan right now but upgrading soon.

I'm not convinced that an NT06 Lite can handle a Q6600 - especially if you will be overclocking. You may need to use a fan under it like I did.

The Abit F-I90HD has HDMI/DVI output and it overclocks very well for me

Thanks for the recommendation. The Abit F-I90HD is definitely a nice board but I'm a bit a bit concerned about its reliability. I'm hoping Abit start releasing good/fixed batches of this board.

I've had this case for a couple of weeks now. It's still empty sadly.

I've had this case for a couple of weeks now. It's still empty sadly.

Same here, I received mine a couple of weeks ago from Newegg. I just got around to ordering the rest of the parts this week and should be in business this weekend or early next week. I’ll put up some pics when it’s finished. The specs are below-

SilverStone SG03-S Silver
Core 2 Duo E6850 / NT06-LITE CPU Cooler
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
2x WD Raptor 74GB (RAID 0)
Evga 8800GTX KO ACS3
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality
Pioneer DVR-1810C DVD±RW – Silver
ALPS Silver Floppy Drive
SilverStone ST1000 w/ Short Power Cable Set SST-PP03
Windows XP Pro/SP2

I was able to setup the following system in this case:

-SilverStone SG03
-Corsair HX620W - Full ATX
-Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R - BIOS F4a
-Intel Q6600
-Zalman CNPS8700 LED
-QTY4 x OCZ 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz - OCZ2P800.R22GK
-WD 74GB Raptor
-QTY2 x SATA 500GB Seagate HD
-NEC DVD-RW

I have the single stock 120mm fan right now but upgrading soon.

Did you have to do any modding to get that heatsink to fit in there? I'd rather have the 8700 in there than the NT-06Lite.

Here are some pics of a new build I put together last night. This is the first time I have built a SFF system and it went together without any problems.

13lg8.jpg

sg031ic9.jpg

sg032dx3.jpg

sg033yz6.jpg

sg035jt9.jpg

sg036dh8.jpg

sg037qx8.jpg

SilverStone SG03-S Silver / 2x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Evga 8800GTX KO ACS3
ALPS Silver Floppy Drive
Windows XP Pro/SP2

Wow! That looks great man!

Is the GTX hitting the fans? Can I see a shot of the front without the faceplate thing? Thanks yo.

I have almost the same exact setup... the GTX PCB is right up against the fan but isn't bent or anything... the tolerances are pretty tight but it works just fine.

Is the GTX hitting the fans?

Without the grills on the fans the GTX doesn’t touch. It actually fits pretty well. I’m amazed that this system despite being SFF, doesn’t really give anything up to a full ATX setup except space.

A 1000w psu in a SG03. Thats a lot of power!

I figured with the 1000 Watt being the same dimensions as the rest of Silver Stone’s modular PSU’s I might as well grab the ST1000. This way I figured if I needed it in another system down the road I’d have some head room.

I’ve got to take a closer look at the temps but after playing FSX for over an hour BIOS showed 31c for the system and 34c for the CPU.

I checked again today now that this system back in my air conditioned office. After running FSX for about an hour or so, BIOS was showing 27c system and 28c for the CPU.

SilverStone SG03-S Silver / 2x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 120mm
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R
Evga 8800GTX KO ACS3
ALPS Silver Floppy Drive
Windows XP Pro/SP2

How do I remove the front mesh? I want to add a second fan but I'm afraid of breaking the front panel. I have the panel off but the mesh part is still on...

How do I remove the front mesh? I want to add a second fan but I'm afraid of breaking the front panel. I have the panel off but the mesh part is still on...

if your talking about the metal mesh on the front of the SG03...I just put a small Flat-head screw driver between the metal and plastic(on the side at the front and top) and twisted to get the metal mesh to pop off the plastic tabs holding it on.

if your talking about the metal mesh on the front of the SG03...I just put a small Flat-head screw driver between the metal and plastic(on the side at the front and top) and twisted to get the metal mesh to pop off the plastic tabs holding it on.

Yeah. The take-home message is: it's possible, you won't break anything by levering it off, but take your time and don't destroy it in the process. It took me a lot of prodding and pulling, but it does come off eventually.

Back