Silverstone OP-750 (60 12+ AMPS!) Buzz

There is a thread in jonny's forums that indicate whether or not you got the wrong PCI-E 8 pin connector. But his forums are down right now.

I thought it was only the modulars that had bad cables made? I bought a op650 a while ago and still havent powered it up yet. What should I look for as far as bad cables? I've heard they had some sata problems on modular, but so far this is the only thing I've heard about the pci-e connectors.

Unfortunately that is not the case. I have heard of very few OP650 containing the right connector, most if not all OP and DA 750 units that I have heard about contain the wrong connector. Most OP and DA 750 units also whine/buzz from what I am gathering.

Without a picture its hard to explain but I will do the best that I can.

Legend : S = Square shape, D = D shape

The CORRECT cable should look like this:

D D S S
S D D D

If looking at the connector head on with the clip up top that is what the pin outs should like look. Two 90 degree turned 'D's on the left and two squares on the right of those then directly underneath from left to right 1 square and 3 more 90 degree turned 'D's beside that all in a row. Most units that contained the wrong cable included an adapter to be used that convert the native cable into the proper one at the expense of about 2" of added length.

I'm curious as to if yours is right or not, kindly check and let us know. Thanks.

I have this on my OP650 from deadeyedata:

DDSS
SDDS
(with clip on top)

I wont be using the connector for a while, so I guess I have a free rma whenever I do. I better lookup a sata power wiring diagram as I will be using those connectors.

Edit: My sata connectors are fine. ;o)

yes that description of the PCIe is the wrong one. That is how mine came as well needing an adapter to convert the layout to the correct way.

Oh yeah, there was a little 8pin to 8pin adapter that came with my psu. I didnt put much thought into what it was for and havent seen any reason for it until now. Makes sense ;o)

Blackstone... any update on your RMA?

Sorry I've been away from this thread. As of today, New Egg has recieved my RMA and is processing. Next week I'm going out of town on Wednesday, so if I don't get the replacement by then it will be a week. I can tell you that I expect the new one to whine, and if it does, it is going straight back for a refund because it is just too expensive to have such an annoying flaw. I might try the 650 watt version. Have you guys heard of any OP650 that whines like this?

Other than the cooling fan, PSU's shouldn't make any noise regardless of what they are doing!

It seems their QC/QA has slipped as they ramp up production to meet the demand for their mostly excellent PSU's. I'm sure they will address this & be back on track very soon. Please do not allow this to steer you away from their very good PSU's.

i was under the impression that silverstone psu's up tp 750watts were manufactured by enhance, and the top of the line 750watt and higher were manufactured by etasis. i was going to buy one of the new etasis branded psu's, because i have read in several places that they are the best you can get, better than pcp&c for example. do you have information that etasis's qc/qa has slipped in some way?

Well, here is an update.

I OEM'd the first OP-750 that I purchased, and I jsut recieved a replacement OP-750. This unit makes the exact same buzzing/scratching sound that the first unit made. It also included an adapter for the 8 pin PCI express lead. Obviously, this unit has the wrong pinout.

I suggest avoiding the OP-750. High-end PSUs should not make this kind of noise. I will probably RMA and get the PC Power and Cooling Silencer.

i was under the impression that silverstone psu's up tp 750watts were manufactured by enhance, and the top of the line 750watt and higher were manufactured by etasis.

The Enhance models include all Striders and Elements, the Zeus ST52F and ST65ZF, and the Olympia/Decathlon 1200W. Etasis models include the Zeus ST56ZF, ST75ZF, ST85ZF, all Nightjars, and all Geminis. The one Seventeam unit is the Olympia 1kW.

Silverstone hasn't revealed the OEM for the the 650W and 750W Olympia/Decathlon units, but have emphatically said it's not Enhance. They are the only units Silverstone has engineered themselves, and are brand new designs that I feel need some more work yet. Problems with these have no bearing on the vast majority of Silverstone's units.

Currently, I'm still recommending Silverstone with the exception of these three OP and DA units and the Enhance units over 750W (not sure Enhance is ready for such high watt models). I'm planning to add the 650W and 750W into my recommendations as soon as they get the design completely nailed down - it's a great design, it just has a few flaws they obviously didn't forsee when it was on the design table.

i was ganna buy one but im little hesitant im curious what happens next hopefully new rev

the great thing about the OP is that its only 150mm long which is why i wanted to buy one

actually I am pretty sure it is 180mm despite their homepage saying 150mm. Anyone care to correct me?

UPDATE:

Well, I have tried two OP-750s and they both have a loud, annoying hum when under load. There is no way I'd even consider using one under those circumstances.

Last night I installed the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750. Is it as good as the Silverstone? Well it is DEAD silent. This is a great PSU, but, to be fair to Silverstone, it is not as well thought out as the OP-750.

First of all, the Silencer 750 is much bigger than the OP-750 and thus is harder to install and handle. I had no problems getting it into my Silverstone TJ07 case, but it is bulkier and harder to handle.

Second, the cables used on the Silencer 750 are MUCH stiffer and bulkier than the OP-750. They were just hard to work with, period--stiff and twisty. The OP-750 had cables that were elegant in comparison.

Third, the lead wire for the four pin mobo connection is way too short. It is considerably shorter than the other leads and I had to install the power supply upside down to get some extra slack to make the connection. If you have a big tower case this may be a consideration, but I did get it to work with my Silverstone TJ07 in the upside down configuration.

Fourth, I liked the connectors on the Silverstone better. The Silencer's molex connectors were a little stubborn and the SATA power connectors are in a configuration that doesn't make sense for all cases. The OP-750's SATA lead was much more flexible and the spacing of the connectors made installation much easier than the Silencer.

Fifth, it is more expensive than the Silverstone but has the same specs.

The Silencer 750 is a great PSU notwithstanding these flaws, however. It seems to perform at least as well if not better than the OP-750 and is practically silent. All of the same overclock settings work, and the system is stable. I am not running a power hungry dual graphics card setup so I'm not in a position to really push these things, and I can't make conclusions about the reliability or quality of the internal components because I don't have that kind of expertise, but there it is.

If the Silverstone fixed the noise problem on the OP-750 I would recommend it over the Silencer in a heartbeat because it is such a nice, user friendly and compact design and is cheaper to boot. That isn't the case, however, so the Silencer 750 might be the best there is right now. I would recommend the Silverstone over the Silencer even if the Silverstone emitted a bit more fan noise, but electrical coil whining I just can't tolerate!

great review

btw i thi9nk its 150mm everywhere it states that it is and it looks like its 150mm from the pics

Back