Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) - Now has a product page - NextQ = When?

Instead of making an extended SFX psu with a 120mm fan, why not try fitting first a 92mm fan inside? A slim 92mm version.

I'm happy for any improvement. The benefit of going with a 120mm fan is that you make room for higher capacity. A 500w or 550w version will need more air flow than a 450w. A 120mm fan will run slower to deliver the same airflow (nearly twice that of an 80mm) and therefore could be less noisy. If they have solved the noise problem with their new fan in the 450w version, then this may not be a problem needing a solution anymore. But if they are working on a 550w in standard SFX the best they could do is a 92mm fan, and that may not be enough for a quiet 550 watts.

I was under the impression that PSU mechanical form factors were based upon the width/height (case attachment face) only; thus why there are varying lengths of PSUs in the ATX segment.

There needs to be at least 10mm (or 20mm with modular connectors) of room for fitting so ATX PSUs that use 140mm fan need to be at least 150mm/160mm deep and while PSUs with 120mm fan need to be 130mm/140mm deep. This leaves maximum fan size for our SFX PSU at 80mm. The next step up in fan size is 92mm, which just misses the requirement by 2mm.
A small counterpoint to the "needs 10mm more than the fan size" claim: the Nexus NX5000/NX6000 (built by ATNG, I believe). They are 125mm deep (non-modular) ATX power supplies with a 120mm fan. So only 5mm more.

It sounds like you aren't aware of the High Power display at Computex this year. The PSU are currently on build-to-order status, and two US distributors are in discussions with High Power for US distribution according to the High Power representative I talked with about a month ago.

I know that a 120mm fan won't fit a 100mm box. :) The point is to change the length of the PSU to accomodate the fan. In the process you end up with an additional 25-35mm (1-1.5 inch) of space for additional capacity (500w). The High Power SFX PSUs all appear to fit the 120mm fan just fine in their 125mm x 130-135mm boxes, and come in fully modular 300w, 450w, and 500w 80plus bronze/gold models. Even if such a design needed to be 140mm long, it would still fit an SFX mount. The idea is no different than an extended ATX PSU.
I very much doubt Silverstone will do a 125-130mm long SFX anytime soon seeing as it wouldn't fit in their current SFF cases.

I was under the impression that PSU mechanical form factors were based upon the width/height (case attachment face) only; thus why there are varying lengths of PSUs in the ATX segment.
Actually if you take a look at the spec for SFX it defines the length as well.

Jeez louise, what is closer to subcompact than compact? Are you arguing that a 1 inch longer SFX isn't close to a standard length SFX?

Cheers for reply. Was just trying to understand perspective of what you was saying. All of what you said makes sense but just want to highlight the above.

It may be close to SFX standard but we need to be aware of how cases are designed to meet these standards and when SFF and mm matter this is quite a big difference.

The issue with trying to place a 120mm fan is the height of the SFX is fully utilised for daughter board/heatsink/capacitors etc take that space away compared to ATX which at 86mm they have the 20mm above the internals to fit a fan accordingly. Maybe you could do something around 72mm and make a compromise.

On the cars, I will just say we have a different view on sub compact cars ;). sub compact is like a smart car, toyota Aygo etc. to me anyways.

Actually if you take a look at the spec for SFX it defines the length as well.

And so it does... TYVM for your fact checking :)

On the cars, I will just say we have a different view on sub compact cars ;). sub compact is like a smart car, toyota Aygo etc. to me anyways.

American car size guide:
- Ford Escape = sub-compact
- Ford Explorer = compact
- Ford Expedition = mid-size
- Ford Excursion = full-size

:D

And so it does... TYVM for your fact checking :)

American car size guide:
- Ford Escape = sub-compact
- Ford Explorer = compact
- Ford Expedition = mid-size
- Ford Excursion = full-size

:D

that size guide is very wrong. those sizes refer to different sizes of sedans/coupes, not SUVs. check any car rental site for their examples of each class of car.

that size guide is very wrong. those sizes refer to different sizes of sedans/coupes, not SUVs. check any car rental site for their examples of each class of car.

Oh waah, I'm making fun of how we love absurdly huge vehicles. The quoted poster is obviously from a more rational country :p

ATX also specifies length for PSU's, its 140mm. But manufacturers dont always follow the length spec. Dont see why they need to for SFX. But considering Silverstone is pretty much the only company doing SFX PSU's, i agree with Necere, i dont see them making a version that wont fit in their own cases. They basically made these SFX PSU's for their smaller form factor cases.

ATX also specifies length for PSU's, its 140mm. But manufacturers dont always follow the length spec. Dont see why they need to for SFX.
Because an average ATX-case is >50L and the average ITX-case is <20L.

With ATX, you might have problems with cables being too short. With ITX, you might have problems with your cables being too long (no room to stuff them).

With ATX, your PSU just borrows some air from the case's air flow. With ITX, your PSU is most of the air flow (in most cases).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Designing an SFX PSU isn't just "shrinking an ATX PSU", it involves a lot more problems to be tackled then just "making it longer". If that was a solution for most of the problems, Silverstone would have done that by now.

For the Europeans willing to replace fan what did you finally used and where you bought it ?

For the Europeans willing to replace fan what did you finally used and where you bought it ?

Fan: http://highflow.nl/fans/ventilatore...tr-pc-p-80x15mm-ultra-silent-fan-2500rpm.html

If you don't want to solder: http://www.moddiy.com/products/3%2d...-Mini-2%2dPin-GPU-Fan-Connector-(Female).html

Before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwl-A0Cx6t8
After http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P02jVmMBuc (the microphone of the camera was right over the fan, which is why you can hear anything at all!)

That's great news! but what about the owners with a 1.0 or a 1.1 unit? Can we RMA through a local distributor or are the early adopters out of luck and have to buy a new one? The fan noise is very annoying since it's the noisiest component of my sff system.

No, I am sorry.

That's a bit disappointing since I got the 1.0 version. Might as well wait for the next model then. Make sure the next one has modular connectors that are easier to plug/unplug and include modular cables with only 1 connector, and obviously a quieter fan.

^
That does suck. We either have to suck it up and buy the newer, more quiet model or void our warranties by opening it up and changing the fan...

You mean, like modding ? Sounds scary !
Maybe just get a Shuttle, everything just clicks and screws into place, no need to mod anything !

OK enough with the sarcasm. You shouldn't try to sound so bitchy, Silverstone is not going to replace your PSU just because the newer model is better.

You mean, like modding ? Sounds scary !
Maybe just get a Shuttle, everything just clicks and screws into place, no need to mod anything !

OK enough with the sarcasm. You shouldn't try to sound so bitchy, Silverstone is not going to replace your PSU just because the newer model is better.

yeah dont feel bad about it. you think toyota will replace your car with the newer model 2 years later because it has better gas mileage? sell your psu and buy a new 2.0 version! wont cost too much and will be more reliable and safer than modding your current one.

I didn't say they should do it for free. Maybe a trade-in with some kind of upgrade charge or fee would be fair.

For those of you interested, here is a video on a V2.0 ST45SF-G. We were pleasantly surprised they pointed out its quietness because we did not ask them to specifically show idle noise nor did we tell them about V1.1 vs. V2.0.

For those of you interested, here is a video on a V2.0 ST45SF-G. We were pleasantly surprised they pointed out its quietness because we did not ask them to specifically show idle noise nor did we tell them about V1.1 vs. V2.0.

Until SPCR says its quiet, its not quiet.

Good to know newegg has v2.0 for sure. Too bad they went off sale last week. Maybe they were clearing inventory.

Until SPCR says its quiet, its not quiet.

Yeah, that video was definitely not for SPCR audience and I won't claim V2.0 ST45SF-G will be quiet for everyone (like most products that are not fanless).

We love working with SPCR though (SilverStone is one of the most covered brands there), but unfortunately they can't test everything on the market or all products that we have.

Excellent news on a 2.0 revision of this PSU and has certainly put my concerns to rest, so roll on the SG05 Titan build!

On a related note though, from what I've read here, the 1.1 revision strapped a capacitor or 2 onto the cables to solve some coil whine issues. Presumably then I may get this issue if I use a PP05 short cable set?

Anyone know, if I order a ST45SF-G from Newegg or Amazon now, will I get a v2.0?

Thanks for that WiSK

Will see if I can a 2nd set of stock cables from Silverstone so I can sleeve and still keep the originals.

Which country are you? Perhaps there is a better alternative. PM me if you need more advice.

Thank you again Wisk, fan arrived today and the whole mod took just 15 minutes, didn't even have to cut/solder anything as I re-used the original connector.

Stickers were taken out with the help of my hairdrier :)

PSU now inaudible, hopefully it won't fry with this heat ^^

Thank you again Wisk, fan arrived today and the whole mod took just 15 minutes, didn't even have to cut/solder anything as I re-used the original connector.

Stickers were taken out with the help of my hairdrier :)

PSU now inaudible, hopefully it won't fry with this heat ^^

My pleasure!

Mine has been fine in the heat (my aquaero said 33C intake fan temp yesterday). Also I believe the PSU has a heat sensor, so it should ramp up itself when it needs more air.

Anyone know, if I order a ST45SF-G from Newegg or Amazon now, will I get a v2.0?

Amazon sent me a v2.0 this week. I was surprised how heavy the box was (4 lbs.). In the hand the unit feels like a little brick. The build quality is nice all around.

I noticed the noise seemed to be the same volume as a full speed gentle typhoon AP14. So I measured them with a SPL meter, they were within .2 dBa of each other! For reference SCPR measured the a GT AP14 at 20 dBa @ 1 meter. I could live with it being louder than the other 3 fans in my system since this is still low. However the quality of the idle fan noise is extremely unpleasant to me. It has a distinct saw-tooth ticking/pulsing effect that's especially noticeable because it's a couple feet away on my desk. I'm either going to return or mod it, I'm not sure which yet.

Never mind, I just noticed there's a faint electrical buzz that doesn't go away when its shut down or suspended. Leaning toward return now. :mad: My old SG03 has a smaller footprint than this SG06 build anyway.

On a positive note, it seems very efficient. 21w idle with a stock 3770k, GAZ77 itx, no gpu, 8gb 1.35v, only a cpu fan, and gig-e connected in Win 7.

Wait, so your v2.0 unit is just as loud as a 1.1 or 1.0?

No, there's no way this fan is running at the 1600rpm or whatever the older ones were. It has to be around the 1300rpm of v2.0. I found it to be the same volume as a 1500 rpm gentle typhoon 120mm. GT's are also the quietest fans at their rpm. A 15mm thick 80mm fan at 1600rpm would definitely be louder.

So its quieter, but not a pleasant kind of quiet. I'm trying to understand what you mean with 'saw-tooth ticking/pulsing effect'

So its quieter, but not a pleasant kind of quiet. I'm trying to understand what you mean with 'saw-tooth ticking/pulsing effect'

It sounds like all motor and bearing noise to me, with a faint electrical buzz once you get up close to it. At idle there's absolutely no noise from air movement until I hold it up near my ear. In contrast, the similar dBa level GT AP14 noise is almost completely from the air flow and smooth.

I'm sticking with quiet but unpleasant as my perception of the noise. I don't want to antagonize Amazon with a return right now so I'm going to try modding it with a Noiseblocker. I already have an extra micro 2-pin adapter. When the new semi-passive 300w Silverstone sfx comes out I'll try that in this Sugo 06 and put the 450w in a Ncase.

Back