Silverstone Modular 450W SFX (ST45SF-G) - Now has a product page - NextQ = When?

Anyone ever opened one of these up and measured the PCB and component dimensions?

Yes. Got one open now that I'm making a new cover for. JonnyGuru and Chiphell reviews both have good photos of the ST45SF-G disassembled and the major components located. Is there anything particular you want to know?

They're apperently close to send out the new PSU.
They don't have the thing ready so they show what probably is a engineering example with a new/old sticker.

Scroll up and read comment from AFD and myself, we just established that the PSU hasn't been certified yet, so it's not yet close to being ready for production. And the one shown at CeBIT is a ST45SF-G with a mock-up sticker.

Yes. Got one open now that I'm making a new cover for. JonnyGuru and Chiphell reviews both have good photos of the ST45SF-G disassembled and the major components located. Is there anything particular you want to know?
PCB dimensions and height of the tallest component, if you can. Planning on mounting it naked in a thin custom case.

Hi everyone, now that we've announced SX600-G this week at CeBIT. I can help clear up a couple of things about this upcoming PSU:

- Semi-fanless - this feature is taken from the current ST30SF model so that means the fan in the SX600-G will spin when its internal temperature reaches a certain point.

- PP05-E standard - this much more flexible and flat cable set will come standard with the SX600-G.

Unfortunately there are still some engineering issues to work out at this moment so I am unable to provide any more detailed information or time frame on its release. Sorry!

Hi everyone, now that we've announced SX600-G this week at CeBIT. I can help clear up a couple of things about this upcoming PSU:

- Semi-fanless - this feature is taken from the current ST30SF model so that means the fan in the SX600-G will spin when its internal temperature reaches a certain point.

- PP05-E standard - this much more flexible and flat cable set will come standard with the SX600-G.

Unfortunately there are still some engineering issues to work out at this moment so I am unable to provide any more detailed information or time frame on its release. Sorry!

This is great news, thanks Tony! :D

PCB dimensions and height of the tallest component, if you can. Planning on mounting it naked in a thin custom case.

Am at work now, but off the top of my head the main PCB is approx 120mm x 80mm. Tallest component something like 42mm, but you will need total about 50mm clearance. The modular connector PCB is like 80mm x 45mm, but the wire bundles connecting it means you'll need a bit of extra room around it. There is another little PCB with the power socket and an AC filter, which I can't remember the dimensions of but I put it in a little box away from the rest. (Box was 90mm x 40mm x 24mm externally.)

The Semi Fanless feels great. As I plan (if I buy one) to put it next to a large case fan.
This wakes an old thought about modding my present rigg. Nice.

The cable set is also good to know that it has become stanadard. I'm not thrilled over flat cables in all situations but in some cases they're just perfect,

Am at work now, but off the top of my head the main PCB is approx 120mm x 80mm. Tallest component something like 42mm, but you will need total about 50mm clearance. The modular connector PCB is like 80mm x 45mm, but the wire bundles connecting it means you'll need a bit of extra room around it. There is another little PCB with the power socket and an AC filter, which I can't remember the dimensions of but I put it in a little box away from the rest. (Box was 90mm x 40mm x 24mm externally.)
It's gonna scrape, but it'll happen!

Hey Tony, will the new 600w have the same dimensions? I'll wait.

Well, that's official. Doesn't look like an April launch so plan for June or later I suppose. :)

I'm curious as to how much the 600w. The ST45SF-G ($95) with PP05-E ($30) already runs $125 at Newegg.

I hope Silverstone plans on sending a unit to jonnyguru right away when it's in production.

I hope Silverstone plans on sending a unit to jonnyguru right away when it's in production.

Would be nice, but seems doubtful. He just posted his ST30SF review in January, 3 months after it went on sale.

Would be nice, but seems doubtful. He just posted his ST30SF review in January, 3 months after it went on sale.
Oh well. The ST45SF-G is everything I want from a PSU, except the loud fan and buzzing noise when the PC is off. If those are somewhat resolved while keeping up the PSU qualities i'll probably buy it

Hi guys,

I just bought the ST45SF-G and I think it's quite awesome, with two downsides.

First, my graphics card (GTX760) needs 2*8 pins, but the ST45SF offers only 1*6 & 1*8 pciE pins. Any way to get a fitting cable?

Second, and way more annoying is the fan. It's just way too loud for a HTPC... I don't need a noiseless system, but the fan is definitely the loudest in my system.

So is there a way to fix this? How difficult is it to change the fan? Are 92mm fans fitting? Or what would be just the best fan availible?

Greets

It's funny that your GTX760 needs two 8-pin connectors when the new dual-GPU TITAN Z and R9-295X cards will probably only need two either. The GTX760 only uses about 160W so a single 8-pin would have been sufficient or two 6-pins. Unless you are trying to break overclocking records, just connect the 8-pin and 6-pin, it should work.

The fan is an issue, mine started acting up later and I just went the way many did and replaced the fan with a Noiseblocker 80x80x15mm fan. Mind you that you need to solder the original fan connector on it or get a special adapter cable (been mentioned in this topic). This will void your warranty, but it isn't hard for the technically-abled.

Thanks!

What equipement do I need to replace the fan connector?
And is the Noiseblocker really the best solution? Heard about the clicking noises... What about SilentWings?

Greets

Thanks!

What equipement do I need to replace the fan connector?
And is the Noiseblocker really the best solution? Heard about the clicking noises... What about SilentWings?

Greets

fan adapter cable - http://www.moddiy.com/products/3%2d...-Mini-2%2dPin-GPU-Fan-Connector-(Female).html

This thread has all the info about the fan swap: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1783965&highlight=noiseblocker&page=2

I have heard a few complaints also but mine is very quiet and I am very pleased with the upgrade to the noiseblocker fan.

Looking into it!

I guess what the main problem is, id that the won't slow down after gaming. It just keeps spinning full force, whereas gpu and cpu fans slow down :(

Then I guess it has trouble getting rid of the heat inside the PSU. The CPU and GPU measure their temps at the core, which has faster heat drops than the heatsinks themselves.

I haven't noticed any coil whine in any of the systems I have built with this PSU. I'd know if mine had it - I did the Noiseblocker fan swap mod on all of them and keep system/cpu fan noise as low as possible.

I've seen cases of PSU (or other device) coil whine in the past depending on hardware installed. A few years ago I had a system that would whine until I disabled one of the power saving states in BIOS.

Last edited:
So, it seems Silverstone are releasing a 500W SFX-L and a 600W SFX, according to what I saw on sweclockers.com (Swedish) earlier today.

The SFX-L is slightly enlarged, just enough to snug-fit a 120mm fan, and hence went to the top of my purchase list, to replace the ST45SF-G in my Ncase M1. It seems it will be semi-passive, just like the 600W SFX, and the fan will start running when the internal psu temp reaches 45 C. Perfect! :D

Then I won't have to do my planned ghetto-mod anymore, cutting away the side of the ST45SF-G so I could strap a 120mm on top.

Hopefully the included 120mm fan will be silent, and having the regular 25mm depth.

Edit: judning from this picture, it looks like it's a thinner fan though. 10 or 15mm maybe? Hopefully silent enough anyway. :)

Silverstone_sfx-9.jpg

Edit 2: Looks like the psu is slightly larger than 120x120mm though. Or the special fan is smaller than 120mm?

Edit 3: It looks slightly asymmetrical, and since the width of SFX is 125mm, the SFX-L seems to be 125x130 (?)mm. That explains the discrepancy in my second edit. 130mm depth, that is.

Last edited:
Yes, with both 6+2 pin and 6 pin on it.

Sorry for the necro, but I'm super confused about this, and I don't have the PSU in my hands yet. Are you saying that the blue 8-pin connection on the PSU supports an 8-pin+6-pin Y-Cable? Meaning, can you power a GPU with an 8-pin and a 6-pin connection off of the single blue PSU-side PCI-e connection?

I can't find any info on Silverstone's product page, and I can't tell from any pictures on either Silverstone's site or Newegg. The only thing the product page says is that there's "1 x 8/6-Pin PCIE connector", but I can't tell if they mean "8-pin to 6+2" or if they mean "8-pin to 8-pin+6pin". Does my question make sense?

Yes your question makes sense and yes it's a Y-splitter 8 pin to 6+2 pin, split to 6 pin. It's fine for PCIe devices up to 300W, so all non-overclocked single-chip GPUs.

Yes your question makes sense and yes it's a Y-splitter 8 pin to 6+2 pin, split to 6 pin. It's fine for PCIe devices up to 300W, so all non-overclocked single-chip GPUs.

Great, thanks so much for the quick response.

am i the only one who can't find this thread on one of the 3 pages under sff systems?

Edit: ok sorry about that, but i couldn't find it, unless i searched google :(

am i the only one who can't find this thread on one of the 3 pages under sff systems?

Edit: ok sorry about that, but i couldn't find it, unless i searched google :(

At the bottom of the page when viewing the sub-forum, there is a box for "Display Options".

The default is to only show threads from the last month, you can increase the time period to show older threads.

Would be nice for Silverstone to update the ST45SF-G to incorporate the desirable features found on the SX600-G, particularly the quieter fan and the flat ribbon cables.

SX450-G, anyone?

Would be nice for Silverstone to update the ST45SF-G to incorporate the desirable features found on the SX600-G, particularly the quieter fan and the flat ribbon cables.

SX450-G, anyone?

I just replaced the fan on the ST45SF-G...does not make a peep.

Back