Silverstone FT03... matx

Does anyone have a lot of buzzing when using the front audio ports? It's especially bad when using the front panel mic.

A few people have mentioned this being due to sharing ground with USB Ports.

I use optical for speakers and a USB headset so it's a non issue for me.

Welp, FT03 build is pretty much done. Installed some new fans and it's much quieter. Loudest thing in the case now is the 560ti.

P1010689.jpg

P1010692.jpg

I've just received my FT03. Looking forward to assemble everything over the weekend! This will be my first Small Form Factor build so hopefully everything will go smoothly!

Hey guys!

I plan on building a system in a black FT03, and i have some questions.
Here are the specs:
Asus Maximus V Gene
Intel Core i7 3770K
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair Vengenance LP 4×4GB 1600Mhz (i think the normal vengenance doesn't fit with the NH-D14)
Asus GTX680
Corsair AX750

So the questions:
1. I plan to use two HDDs (and an SSD) from my current system. The HDDs are WD 250GB and 750GB (Blue series). Do the HDs in this house produce high noise, or rattling? And are the HDD temperatures relativily good (not much higher than 40°C)?
2. Can I use the Noctua cooler, or does it touch the VGA on this motherboard? Maybe I should buy a Corsair H60 or H80?
3. How noisy is the case (with a similar setup, from about 1 meter)?
4. What temperatures can i expect fom the GTX680? Is it recommended to replace the stock fans with better ones for lower temps/noise?

Thanks! Regards, Adam

Does anyone know if Silverstone is planning any updates or revisions to the FT03 this year? I was considering the Titanium or Black model for a downgrade from my FT02 which takes up a lot of desktop space and I noticed all three models appear to be out of stock at most retailers.

Does anyone know if Silverstone is planning any updates or revisions to the FT03 this year? I was considering the Titanium or Black model for a downgrade from my FT02 which takes up a lot of desktop space and I noticed all three models appear to be out of stock at most retailers.

Wondering the same thing, in the same boat but with the Corsair SE 600T. I would hope Silverstone refreshes the FT03, you know fix the front usb 3.0 header connector to be internal and not usb.

Wondering the same thing, in the same boat but with the Corsair SE 600T. I would hope Silverstone refreshes the FT03, you know fix the front usb 3.0 header connector to be internal and not usb.

Got a reply back from our Silverstone rep Tony Ou last night:

Tony Ou said:
The FT03 in black and titanium were temporarily out of stock before a new shipment of them came in last week. Silver color should still be in stock but I believe not as many retailers carry this model. So this week you shouldn't have problem getting any FT03.

As for future updates to FT03, the only notable change we will be making is to the USB 3.0 cable. Right now the cable is external, we will update it to internal 19pin connector sometimes in late Q3/Q4 (the timing will be uncertain depending on current inventory levels).

We will also make the new USB 3.0 cable for sale separately from our US office if you want to get the FT03 now and upgrade the cable by yourself later.

Nice, hope the refresh is in Q3, trying to wait it out for more mATX z77 boards. Gigabyte needs to launch the new boards in August.

It's too large to comfortably use with a beefy video card IMO. It will fit but it will be cumbersome. Given the top plate of that cooler it might actually not work with video cards with a backplate.

I have a 6990 and a NH-D14 they are actually putting pressure on one another. Additionally, since the PCI-E release mechanism is under the card and the rear of the case is not removable, switching or removing video cards is also extremely challenging (I had to use a knife carefully in between the D14 and 6990 just to reach the release mechanism of the card).

It's really a hassle and I sometimes wish I just went with an H80 or something.

This is what it looks like right now:

a5d7b68c_ft03.jpg

The NH-D14 is all banged up and scratched with some bent fins just from being cumbersome and my tinkering around with the case. Wouldn't go for such a big cooler in this case unless you don't plan on upgrading for a long time or you're extremely patient and careful.

So these are the situations I would avoid having together for this case:
1. Very large CPU cooler (NH-D14, Silver Arrow, Dark Rock Pro, et alia)
2. GPU with a backplate (non-backplate GPUs like my old GTX 580 are fine from my experience)
3. Frequent moving around, upgrading or tinkering

Is it the fan clips that touch the video card or the heatsink itself?

If it's only the fan clips, then you could use these prolimatech clips instead of the noctua fan clips.

9c706407_Noctua_NH-D14_with_2_SA_9G1212101_s_push-pull.png

will the H80/H2O 920 with fat radiator on a Maximus V gene fit in the FT03 with onboard m-pci/msata combo card installed?

Edit: Sneeko below has claimed the case.

Last edited:
Sorry for a post like this if this upsets any of you guys... But please let anyone know if you think they were interested in getting this case and not wanting to pay full price for it.

I'm selling my FT03. I really need to reduce clutter and the alt box of mine (a Shuttle) won out.

Mine's the Black MK 2 version.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1477296

Info and pics on that thread.

Hi Techrat,

Joined the forum just for this post! :D

I'm absolutely interested in buying this case and I've messaged you on Ebay already. You can PM me there or here if its still available!

Awesome build dude!

I ordered most of my parts yesterday for my FT03B:
CPU: i7-2600K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV GENE/GEN3
Memory: two KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 HyperX (16GB total) Fry's had them on sell for $22 each
CPU Cooler: KÜHLER H₂O 920
Video Card: DIAMOND AMD Radeon HD 7970 (I wanted the ASUS but it wasn't available.)
Hard Drives: I have a spare Corsair F120 and two 500GB Momentus XT with a 2.5(2) to 3.5 bracket
Power Supply: Corsair AX850 and also order the PP05 short cable kit.

I have USB 3.0 rear bracket that I'm going to take apart so I can run the USB 3.0 to some internal connectors.

Trying to find my spare Bluray / DVD burner slot drive. I did find my slim to SATA cable. May have to buy a new drive.

Any recommendation/advice on my build?

I don't think the short cable kit will work on a Corsair power suplly.

Hey guys!

I plan on building a system in a black FT03, and i have some questions.
Here are the specs:
Asus Maximus V Gene
Intel Core i7 3770K
Noctua NH-D14
Corsair Vengenance LP 4×4GB 1600Mhz (i think the normal vengenance doesn't fit with the NH-D14)
Asus GTX680
Corsair AX750

So the questions:
1. I plan to use two HDDs (and an SSD) from my current system. The HDDs are WD 250GB and 750GB (Blue series). Do the HDs in this house produce high noise, or rattling? And are the HDD temperatures relativily good (not much higher than 40°C)?
2. Can I use the Noctua cooler, or does it touch the VGA on this motherboard? Maybe I should buy a Corsair H60 or H80?
3. How noisy is the case (with a similar setup, from about 1 meter)?
4. What temperatures can i expect fom the GTX680? Is it recommended to replace the stock fans with better ones for lower temps/noise?

Thanks! Regards, Adam

I have a similar inquiry as this one and no one has answered him yet. Same specs except HSF and drives. I won't bother with the Noctua, but I am looking at using the Corsair H60. Also, I will have one SSD and one HDD.

How tight of a fit would the SSD and the HDD be? A lot of cable management?

Does the Corsair H60 fit no problem or will I have to fiddle and squeeze things in?

I took note of the things to remember when purchasing this case from what friend'scatdied says... anything else anyone wants to chime in on to remember?

I have a similar inquiry as this one and no one has answered him yet. Same specs except HSF and drives. I won't bother with the Noctua, but I am looking at using the Corsair H60. Also, I will have one SSD and one HDD.

Does the Corsair H60 fit no problem or will I have to fiddle and squeeze things in?

I took note of the things to remember when purchasing this case from what friend'scatdied says... anything else anyone wants to chime in on to remember?

I'll try to help a bit here!

Corsair H60 should fit without any problems.

From our experience, post 2010 WD drives are generally well behaved in terms of vibration so they should be ok in the FT03. Cable management room behind the motherboard tray is excellent so fitting a couple of drives there should be really easy.

Reference design GTX 680 has the best cooling system that we have seen from NVIDIA. It is significantly quieter than any of their previous generation top cards. I would highly recommend that you give one a try before replacing it with something else.

I will comment on this as well, although I no longer have my FT03 build it was a breeze to put together and temps were pretty good considering I had a GTX 570.

I also used a Antec 620 as my CPU cooler which was attached to the upper most fan slot for exhaust, even had push pull on the rad and it was great.

For drives I was able to cram 2 WD Cav Blacks in the back as well as another one in the hot swap bay.

Definitely had to stuff a huge amount of wires in the back and it was kinda messy as I didn't take all the time in the world to manage the cables but there was more than enough room.

Edit: Picture for you to take a look at, give you an idea of the space you'll have in the front, sorry don't have one of the back side with the wires and hdds, but you'll definitely have the room.

wp_000133.jpg

Start back at around page 38...

But some choice posts: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038359391&postcount=786

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038365273&postcount=793

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038478043&postcount=818

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038600011&postcount=836

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038611893&postcount=840

All these show H60s (or larger closed loop systems) in a FT03 case.

It's quite doable.

There is enough room behind the motherboard plane for 3 full sized hard drives and one SSD for a total of 4 drives. If you wanted to, I imagine you could even get creative and mount another SSD or two within the optical bay, too. Plenty of space for all that. It's one of the roomiest cases I've used, you just need to go slow and make sure you got everything hooked up properly every step of the way because once you get stuff in there... it gets harder to work around everything.

Aw... Thanks guys! I haven't posted in a while so I forgot how awesome this community was! You guys rock!

As for the GTX680 Lightning... I want that voltage control!

Aw... Thanks guys! I haven't posted in a while so I forgot how awesome this community was! You guys rock!

As for the GTX680 Lightning... I want that voltage control!

Hah, np... you may want to get a card that vents out the top/back of the graphics card, the Silverstone manual specifically points out this requirement to get the best thermals out of the case.

I've read in other threads/forums people flashing their reference gtx 600 series cards to get voltage control, (can't think of where at the moment will keep looking), also people have done more extreme modding on their cards with a soldering iron to bypass the current limitor circuits.

I know on my eVGA GTX 670 SC+ I run it at a boost clock of 1264MHz under water and it's stable as a rock, also that came at only a 10% increase in power.

Found the link I was talking about regarding flashing the bios of the newer GTX 600 series nvidia cards, it was on OCN and can be read here.

Looks like lots are having success doing this in squeezing more power out of their cards.

Damn, awesome! Thanks! Also... and this one is probably much more specific for Tony so I hope he sees this, but does it really make that much of a difference to the GPU if I don't have a blower-type cooler for my GTX 680?

AKA if I used the GTX 680 Lightning (pretty awesome cooler but air is blown perpendicular to the card) vs the reference GTX 680 (blower-type, but the fact that the GPU is surrounded by plastic housing weirds me out... not to mention it seems like it would be RELATIVE to the Lightning), the Lightning would actually be hotter despite having a superior (generally) cooling system?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build my system also:
- FT03 (Duh!)
- MB: Asus Maximus V Gene board
- CPU: I7 3770k
- Video: XFX 7950 dual fan
- HD: 128gb OCZ Vertex4 SSD
- RAM: 16Gb (whatever I can find low profile DDR3 1600, most likely CL9 or CL10)
- PSU: Be quiet dark power pro 10 650W

Seems to be better for CPU cooling? I've seen many config with some regrets, and some not ... a Noctua NH-D14? NH-12P? Or go for watercooling such as H60 / Antec Kuhler 620 / 920 (sounds like too much) ? (I don't care how difficult is to install it as long as it is quiet and works good - I do have patience)

The point is to get a silent (as quiet as possible) machine that will give decent performance, trying to avoid the 80 degrees Celsius range (176F) at the CPU. I've never used watercooling systems, is there any hum or other noise involved with the pump of those systems ?

Can the current owners tell me if its possible to use the mPCI-e/mSATA riser with the combinations of the mentioned cooling solutions ?

I'm planning to order everything in a day or two.

Can the current owners tell me if its possible to use the mPCI-e/mSATA riser with the combinations of the mentioned cooling solutions ?

In my Define Mini, I can't install the riser with a rad on the fan outlet right next to the mobo. I would assume the AIO coolers would block it too.

Went with a Noctua NH-D14. Will assemble it and check if I need a 3rd fan.

baldrik, thanks for the reply. Checking from someone's else build, if I don't install a 3rd fan on the noctua I would be able to use the mPCI-e adapter (need wifi :'( )

Hey guys,
I'm looking to build my system also:
- FT03 (Duh!)
- MB: Asus Maximus V Gene board
- CPU: I7 3770k
- Video: XFX 7950 dual fan
- HD: 128gb OCZ Vertex4 SSD
- RAM: 16Gb (whatever I can find low profile DDR3 1600, most likely CL9 or CL10)
- PSU: Be quiet dark power pro 10 650W

Seems to be better for CPU cooling?

Went with a Noctua NH-D14. Will assemble it and check if I need a 3rd fan.

baldrik, thanks for the reply. Checking from someone's else build, if I don't install a 3rd fan on the noctua I would be able to use the mPCI-e adapter (need wifi :'( )

There looks like there is ALOT of space remaining without that extra fan.

Oh, make sure you bend your fan clips or else it's going to be pushing against your video card in the first PCI-E slot.

Oh, make sure you bend your fan clips or else it's going to be pushing against your video
card in the first PCI-E slot.

Oh God .. didn't even received the thing yet :-P .. don't you all love technology and standards ? .. I think I will go shopping for some beige zip fasteners to match noctua's colors :)

Btw, learning from other's mitakes, what would be the general notes to put this together (like the bent clips)? I can imagine something along the lines:
1. close all the windows or put yourself into a room with no windows, with soft cushions all around it
2. remove the case fan that directs to the MB
3. install the PSU, channel the wires as possible
4. install the Noctua on the mobo, outside the case (genius idea ;) )
5. try to put the mobo inside the case and connect the wires without punching and kicking the case too much
6. install the video card
7. HDDs, more wires thing
8. check for fire
9. power it on
10. check for fire again
11. figure out the missing RAM, throw it against something until it opens apart again, hence step 1.

:p

Oh God .. didn't even received the thing yet :-P .. don't you all love technology and standards ? .. I think I will go shopping for some beige zip fasteners to match noctua's colors :)

Btw, learning from other's mitakes, what would be the general notes to put this together (like the bent clips)? I can imagine something along the lines:
1. close all the windows or put yourself into a room with no windows, with soft cushions all around it
2. remove the case fan that directs to the MB
3. install the PSU, channel the wires as possible
4. install the Noctua on the mobo, outside the case (genius idea ;) )
5. try to put the mobo inside the case and connect the wires without punching and kicking the case too much
6. install the video card
7. HDDs, more wires thing
8. check for fire
9. power it on
10. check for fire again
11. figure out the missing RAM, throw it against something until it opens apart again, hence step 1.

:p

I just wanted to let you know that Gskill Ripjaws X series would fit even with the Noctua heatsink instead. Just make sure you install the fans after you install the RAM.

Edit: Sneeko below has claimed the case.

Hi All,

I'm absolutely new here but decided to post up pics of my build. Techrat's FT03 lives on and has actually decided to take up residency in the Caribbean.

Specs are

Black FT03 Case
Asus Maximus V Gene Board
Intel Core i7 3770k Quad
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Dual EVGA GTX670FTWs in SLI
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooling
Corsair AX850 Professional Gold Series Modular PSU
Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
2 SilenX Effizio 80mm Fan
Blu Ray/DVD burner combo drive from a donor Alienware M18X

(Sorry for the photo quality. Only had my cellphone on me and poor lighting)

Case arrives in one piece. Techrat is a true master of packaging and taping.
anA6B.jpg

Techrat's old handiwork
BJFHv.jpg

All stripped down and PSU installed
mvfAL.jpg

This is the most beautiful board I've ever used in my entire life
74N08.jpg

SSD and HDD installed
wLh4f.jpg

Bottom mounted fans in
Et3oa.jpg

Friends told me I lost serious style points for using Blue Ram in a red-themed machine
CBG8e.jpg

The twins :D
VxfIz.jpg

Yeah...I need to fix this
u0rZW.jpg

Uno
pr4L0.jpg

Dos
iZEQk.jpg

As clean as I can get it
ZSikd.jpg

Hi guys,

So i've had this case for about 9 months now, aircooled with dark rock pro, nearly silent, perfect as it was a server/mediacenter computer.
In any case, I've decided that I want to start doing some watercooling.

I saw this guys' build,
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/case-mods-build-projects/53974-silverstone-fortress-ft03-watercooled.html

and this guys (pretty similar)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=37004&page=2

this one
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276463-11-liquid-cooled-silverstone-ft03

and another one with a radiator on top (external) but I can't find the link. Now the idea of putting a double 80mm radiator at the bottom is good, except that apparently, the plastic filter from the side panel blocks the side panel from being put back on.

I was looking a the phobya xtreme 200, and it should fit on top of the case, above the top plastic grill (which has the advantage of pushing hot air out of the case, instead of having it in the case)
I theory that should provide more surface area than 2*80 + 1*120 radiator, albeit with a 230mm bitfenix spectre fan which would have lower pressure, and potentially be quite loud. it's to cool a hd6850 and a overclocked 2500k (perhaps a hd6990 much later on), so at least to start with it should be big enough.
I have access to a 3d printer, (and maybe, but thats a big maybe, a cnc machine), so I was planning on manufacturing a new plastic (maybe metal if I get to the cnc machine) top bit to house the radiator and fan. This top bit would be considerable thicker than the existing one though, about 6cm more actually.

What scares me the most though is going to be noise from that massive 230mm fan. Any suggestions are welcome

Hi guys,

So i've had this case for about 9 months now, aircooled with dark rock pro, nearly silent, perfect as it was a server/mediacenter computer.
In any case, I've decided that I want to start doing some watercooling.

I saw this guys' build,
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/case-mods-build-projects/53974-silverstone-fortress-ft03-watercooled.html

and this guys (pretty similar)
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=37004&page=2

this one
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276463-11-liquid-cooled-silverstone-ft03

and another one with a radiator on top (external) but I can't find the link. Now the idea of putting a double 80mm radiator at the bottom is good, except that apparently, the plastic filter from the side panel blocks the side panel from being put back on.

I was looking a the phobya xtreme 200, and it should fit on top of the case, above the top plastic grill (which has the advantage of pushing hot air out of the case, instead of having it in the case)
I theory that should provide more surface area than 2*80 + 1*120 radiator, albeit with a 230mm bitfenix spectre fan which would have lower pressure, and potentially be quite loud. it's to cool a hd6850 and a overclocked 2500k (perhaps a hd6990 much later on), so at least to start with it should be big enough.
I have access to a 3d printer, (and maybe, but thats a big maybe, a cnc machine), so I was planning on manufacturing a new plastic (maybe metal if I get to the cnc machine) top bit to house the radiator and fan. This top bit would be considerable thicker than the existing one though, about 6cm more actually.

What scares me the most though is going to be noise from that massive 230mm fan. Any suggestions are welcome

Why not dual 120mm's?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1719548

Impressive, I didn't even know two 120s would fit !
I don't really like having to fit the pump under the graphics card with the fan under the case (no dust filter), but thats a personnal choice :) Its awesome that people are starting to watercool this small case !! Awesome build. You're not planning on cooling the GPU? My previous card was DirectCu, but that was too noisy for me, now that I've gone watercoling, I'm never going back!
I have assembled my loop though, just one 200 radiator, and a Bitfenix specter fan (not the pro version which is supposed to have more pressure, nearly twice as much actually)
With the fan rotating at 400RPM, I get high 30s for the CPU and GPU at idle, and mid 60s for the CPU and mid 50s for the GPU when running furmark and prime at the same time with 800rpm fan, both CPU and GPU overcloked.

I got a cheap 6950 with waterblock by the way, so I have that now flashed to a 6970 :) very happy. I will upload pics tommorow probably. I still need to find a good way to attch the pump whilst avoiding vibrations, and of course design the radiator holder (at the moment its balanced a the top on a ruler... planning on puttig quick disconnects for the radiator section that I can access by removing the front panel. That way when I want to connect cable to my mobo, I simply open the front, undo the quick disconnect, then lift off the top with the radoiator inside, in theory anyways)

Last edited:
Right, here are some pics. The bottom area is pretty much done, except that the two tubes going up to the radiator will be shifter more to the right and attached to quick disconnects when I've printed the top plastic bit
Inside

_MG_5696.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

and unfinished top, with the radiator balanced on a ruler and a box lid :)

_MG_5698.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

Right, here are some pics. The bottom area is pretty much done, except that the two tubes going up to the radiator will be shifter more to the right and attached to quick disconnects when I've printed the top plastic bit
Inside

Looks pretty good, I am excited to see how the plastic piece you are going to print turns out.

These are some of the pictures of the part I'm going to print. Only problem is, it weighs about 400 gramss, at 0.22£ per gram, thats 88 pounds :(
The hoel on the right hand side of the radiator is only because I need to shed as much weight as possible. I was going to make the start/reset/usb cover as well in pplastic, but it would have needed so much support material that it wasn't worth it. The idea is to slide a mesh panel on the top, and cut out a section of that which goes around the start/reset/usb section

angle

Sans titre-1 par Chluz, sur Flickr

front

front par Chluz, sur Flickr

top par Chluz, sur Flickr

The top radiator chassis is currently printing. We shall see what it gives :) pictures coming soon

The top radiator chassis is currently printing. We shall see what it gives :) pictures coming soon

Wheres those pics?!?! :D

Also, that's going to pretty expensive, are you using an epoxy based 3D Printer? I hope your measurements are correct.

Here are the pics :)
The Printer is an objet connex350 multi material printed, and the material used is a veroblack plus ABS like material. Alledgedly the plus version is more resistant to deformation under heat, so I'm kind of testing out this new material for my workshop, considerig that the water in the radiator is at 50°C or so. With the normal veroblack, the parts would deform when under the sun... I also got a friend to give me the remaining material he had bought for another of his projects (this material goes bad after a while) so it wasn't so expensive in the end :)

I'm extremely happy with the outside of the case now. It still needs some fine sanding around my initials which I need to do with my dremel, and a metal black mesh grill at the top (there are grooves to fit it) but other than that the fit is perfect (within a .3 mm probably)

The inside is getting there, but it's not yet as good as I wanted. At first I wanted to attach the quick disconnects to a fan mesh guard at the top, but those quickdisconnects are so big that it was putting too much stress on the fittings. So I moved them inside the case. It's still not perfect. I will probably make another iteration, perhaps changing the attachement of the pump, adding a drain line and different tube paths. We shall see.

For now though, there not too much stress on components and it all works pretty well (and now the pump is controlled on fan headers its so quiet :))

Outside

_MG_5811.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

Front

_MG_5812.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

Top (its missing a black mesh grill)

_MG_5813.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

To remove the top to connect usb and the like remove front panel

_MG_5815.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

Disconnect quick disconnects (you need to have strong hands for that) and fan

_MG_5816.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

And simply lift off the top

_MG_5818.jpg par Chluz, sur Flickr

From there you can also remove all side panels and voila. Its much harder that the process for opening the case usually, but hey, You can't watercool without some compromise ! plus don't often disconnect reconnect stuff so it's fine.

Tell me what you think. Maybe I'm gonna email silverstone with this. If they sell that top bit its an easy way to watercool the FT03

Back