Silverstone FT03... matx

So when's it coming out? November already!

Any plans on a black/red edition similar to the FT02? Don't want to blow $$ on the silver only to find out there's another color scheme coming.

I see 3 levels of FAIL for what could be a perfect mATX case.

1.color, why does everything have to look like a damn Apple clone?

Beige is so 1995, get over it! :D

2.HDD placement. It does not look like the drives get any active cooling.

They don't need to as they are not "inside" the case?

At first I thought it looked really ugly, but it seems not that bad after all. I don't like the plastic side and top pannels, they could have made these better looking. But I guess it's a good start.

Would like to see a smaller model for mini-ITX.

great video tony, quick question:

do all the intake fans have easily removable dust filters?

and when is this going on sale?

I wish that white plastic on the side was aluminum. The big white plastic piece really takes away from the overall look.

Hi guys, check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiJzo89eayg

Our R&D team built a fanless system with the FT03 after they completed regular thermal testing. It'll be a good guide for those looking to build a silent system with this great looking case!

I'm not worried about main-component cooling (cpu, MB and VGA) because as it is it will set a new tier in mATX builds in this aspect (as FT02 does, to say something). What really worries me are the HDDs: they have no active cooling and also there is no way to dissipate de heat, unless I'm missing something (and If I do, I would be really happy If you told me).

great video tony, quick question:

do all the intake fans have easily removable dust filters?

and when is this going on sale?

They are, look at this picture:

ImageResizer.ashx

You just pull it a bit and you take off the whole filter system. Really clever design. It seems there are no filters on the MB fan, though.

They don't need to as they are not "inside" the case?

Of course they are in the case. Even more, because they are below the MB and they do not get any kind of dissipation, just raw surface..but with the lack of airflow it can't be good at all. Like I said, check any of your HDDs out of the case without active cooling, and check the temperatures (HWmonitor does it). Then, take in mind that anything above 50ºC is not good at all for an HDD...

I'm not worried about main-component cooling (cpu, MB and VGA) because as it is it will set a new tier in mATX builds in this aspect (as FT02 does, to say something). What really worries me are the HDDs: they have no active cooling and also there is no way to dissipate de heat, unless I'm missing something (and If I do, I would be really happy If you told me).

Hm yeah that's what I immediately thought about after looking at the pictures. The hard drives are on the backside of the motherboard and the rest of the components. It looks like they don't receive any active cooling of any kind.

They are, look at this picture:

You just pull it a bit and you take off the whole filter system. Really clever design. It seems there are no filters on the MB fan, though.

cheers.

SST need to confirm that all input fans will have dust filters, the lack is not really acceptable on a high-end case like this.

and i say this as someone who has four silverstone cases. :)

cheers.

SST need to confirm that all input fans will have dust filters, the lack is not really acceptable on a high-end case like this.

and i say this as someone who has four silverstone cases. :)

I haven't seen any on the side fan (the fan that blows directly to the cpu), but maybe they implement it.

As it is, that stays in a 2nd need for me as the 1st is HDD cooling...

I hope somebody from SST could say something about it.

R3MF, prava, regarding your concerns:

Filters will be in place where there are intakes, so that includes the side vents as well. However, the power supply will exhaust through the bottom half of the side vents so the filter there will only cover half the total area.

We spent months after Computex testing and modfiying the thermals of FT03. Hard drive side was indeed a tough area to solve especially with the type of hardware we used to test (e.g. Core i7 + Radeon 5970). But after few revisions, we did get them to run at levels that we consider acceptable and within hard drive manufacturers' ratings. It will be unrealistic to expect hard drive temperatures in the FT03 to match cases that place a fan in front of the drive cage, but you shouldn't have to worry about drives overheating in it.

Hope these answer your questions!

Filters will be in place where there are intakes, so that includes the side vents as well. However, the power supply will exhaust through the bottom half of the side vents so the filter there will only cover half the total area.

We spent months after Computex testing and modfiying the thermals of FT03. Hard drive side was indeed a tough area to solve especially with the type of hardware we used to test (e.g. Core i7 + Radeon 5970). But after few revisions, we did get them to run at levels that we consider acceptable and within hard drive manufacturers' ratings. It will be unrealistic to expect hard drive temperatures in the FT03 to match cases that place a fan in front of the drive cage, but you shouldn't have to worry about drives overheating in it.

Thanks Tony, it really shows how SST cares about opinions when somebody answers in their name :)

But just one last think, how exactly do you deal with HDD heat? I'm curious about that one :D

PS: and I've been told that the side plastic cover will be (or at least there is a high chance of happening) made of aluminium. Please, PLEASE, do it.;)

Thanks for the update, Tony. As prava has inquired, I also am concerned about hard drive temps. Heat is the biggest killer of drives (short of dropping them).

Also are there going to be any other colors than white?

How about a knockout where the optical drive goes so we have more of a choice in drives other than slot load.

Thanks

There will be more photos coming as we get closer to FT03's release date

When's that?

That black is nice, partially attributed to the body colored side panel (instead of white on silver).

What about a black on red version though?

Release date release date release date...!!

Sorry for the lack of updates! The schedule wasn't set until recently. The FT03 should start shipping out from our factory in about two weeks. That means availability worldwide should be as follow:

Asia Pacific - First week of January
North America - Second to third week of January
Europe - End of January to early February

Would like to see a side by side with a SG03 for comparison.

No pictures yet, but the FT03 will be a bigger case overall than the SG03. In terms of physical foot print, it will be smaller. Also another thing you have to realize with the FT03 is that it has all connectors on top, so it will take up even less foot print without the need to leave cable room behind the case.

cheers tony, i'm sold! :D

Sorry for the lack of updates! The schedule wasn't set until recently. The FT03 should start shipping out from our factory in about two weeks. That means availability worldwide should be as follow:

Asia Pacific - First week of January
North America - Second to third week of January
Europe - End of January to early February

Ack, so basically February to get the case.

Which retailers will be getting them, and is the black going to be available as well?

And will the GPU fan at the bottom interfere with dual long 12"+ video cards, or does that have to be removed? And if it has the be removed because of the way it's designed (like a hill), why is it that way instead of a simple flat design?

-Most anxious FT03 person in teh world.

SG07, Da Box 100, FT03, difficult choices...

i'll have a new build when sandybridge came out

Ack, so basically February to get the case.

Which retailers will be getting them, and is the black going to be available as well?

And will the GPU fan at the bottom interfere with dual long 12"+ video cards, or does that have to be removed? And if it has the be removed because of the way it's designed (like a hill), why is it that way instead of a simple flat design?

-Most anxious FT03 person in teh world.

I am sure the FT03 will eventually reach all current SilverStone resellers/retailers, but I wouldn't know who will get it first or second, etc...

With the 120mm GPU fan bracket installed, you can fit a Radeon HD 5970 (12.2") into the first PCI-E slot. If you need to install the same card into the second, third, or fourth slot (for possible SLI or CrossFire), then the bracket can be removed easily. So instead of using a 120mm fan, you will then use two 80mm fans. The majority of FT03 users will likely never have to remove the slanted GPU fan bracket, and most will appreciate the use of 120mm fan there instead of two 80mm fans.

Below are retail box photo shoots of black and silver FT03:

FT03B-34View-1.jpg

FT03-34View-2.jpg

Slot load optical only. FAIL.

Sorry, Tony. That makes it a no sale for me.

That's a preference. I probably won't get FT03 now as my modded SG06 is almost completed(I would definitely get FT03 if it wan't for that) but I definitely like small opening of slot loading than cut out for slim drives. That would just kill the look of FT03. Actually, I would prefer not to have any open for ODD which would make case look even better. I mean you still have access to it via network, usb drives and external drives. I can't remember last time I've put in ODD in my system internally. ;)

Defitely good move by Silverstone to remove that chrome trim around opening of ODD and eject button though.

Slot load optical only. FAIL.

Sorry, Tony. That makes it a no sale for me.

That's a preference. I probably won't get FT03 now as my modded SG06 is almost completed(I would definitely get FT03 if it wan't for that) but I definitely like small opening of slot loading than cut out for slim drives. That would just kill the look of FT03. Actually, I would prefer not to have any open for ODD which would make case look even better. I mean you still have access to it via network, usb drives and external drives. I can't remember last time I've put in ODD in my system internally. ;)

Defitely good move by Silverstone to remove that chrome trim around opening of ODD and eject button though.

No, not just personal taste. It also severally limits the choice of drives you can place in case.
I dont understand the idea of building a system and then having an external ODD. That makes for an extra enclosure and exposed cable(s). I myself actually use an ODD almost everyday.

No, not just personal taste. It also severally limits the choice of drives you can place in case.
I dont understand the idea of building a system and then having an external ODD. That makes for an extra enclosure and exposed cable(s). I myself actually use an ODD almost everyday.

Companies don't make cases to satisfy only you.

I am sure the FT03 will eventually reach all current SilverStone resellers/retailers, but I wouldn't know who will get it first or second, etc...

With the 120mm GPU fan bracket installed, you can fit a Radeon HD 5970 (12.2") into the first PCI-E slot. If you need to install the same card into the second, third, or fourth slot (for possible SLI or CrossFire), then the bracket can be removed easily. So instead of using a 120mm fan, you will then use two 80mm fans. The majority of FT03 users will likely never have to remove the slanted GPU fan bracket, and most will appreciate the use of 120mm fan there instead of two 80mm fans.

Below are retail box photo shoots of black and silver FT03:

If there are serial numbers for the case like the FT02 I'm going to gag, beat, shoot, pummel, hammer to get the first black version.

What's the length of the longest video card in SLI/Crossfire that can fit without removing the fan bracket?

Man, Xmas would have been the perfect time to rebuild a system w/ so much free time; come January and it's back to the dumps.

ODD bay eats up a lot of space on a case! This case seems to be geared towards gamers and it only makes sense to omit a 5.25 bay with the gaming industry rapidly trending towards digital distribution.

ODD bay eats up a lot of space on a case! This case seems to be geared towards gamers and it only makes sense to omit a 5.25 bay with the gaming industry rapidly trending towards digital distribution.

I see the design as more of a discrete looking box you set aside and no one notices. Gaming cases would have LEDs, fan ducts and all that shit blaring out, and with mATX probably a handle to appease the "need to go LAN" crowd.

The slim drive bay is probably the only solution to keep the case looking sleek like that; which of course is a double-edged sword (e.g. slim blu-ray drives are hella expensive and slow, maybe restrictive to ripping as well?).

I am really excited about this case as a gaming case. I am curious as to how well it would handle high end SLI cards on air and whether the noise would be tolerable, but I would seriously consider upgrading to this case and a Sandybridge mATX board and nvidia surround. I currently have a single 480, but I wonder if dual 570s might work better in a small case like that.

Black look really awesome. White plastic grills on silver variant looks cheep.
I will definitely buy one black tower for myself. Grat work Silverstone :cool:

CPU Cooling.
Im curious, if The liquid cooling kit like Corsair H50 or H70 could be used?

I'm pretty sold on the FT03 for my build next month, but that Slimbay is driving me absolutely nuts...

My work around: an external Blu-Ray Drive...

the retail version is now being sold in China. And listed in some of the Australian website as in stock on "Jan 22nd 2011", with MSRP $183.

I'll post the link later

Back