*sigh* I finally join the ranks of the RROD XBoxers...

Stiletto

Supreme [H]ardness
So, here's my question.

I have a 20GB XBox 360 we bought 2.5 years ago. Now, all the systems in the stores are Slims. Will I be able to transfer the data from my old, RRODed X360 to the new slim system? Or am I going to have to go hunt down a cheap Arcade system and toss the hard drive in there and hope for the best?

"Will I be able to transfer the data from my old, RRODed X360 to the new slim system?"

Yes, you will.

"Will I be able to transfer the data from my old, RRODed X360 to the new slim system?"

Yes, you will.

In fact, the old hard drives are compatible with the new slim boxes too. You'll need to crack open the housing, fish it into the slim's hard drive slot (standard sata connections), then use a wad of packing foam to keep it rigid and secure. So you could go with the 4gb unit and save yourself some dough. Did this myself a few months ago.

Here's a video of some nerd doing it.

In fact, the old hard drives are compatible with the new slim boxes too. You'll need to crack open the housing, fish it into the slim's hard drive slot (standard sata connections), then use a wad of packing foam to keep it rigid and secure. So you could go with the 4gb unit and save yourself some dough. Did this myself a few months ago.

Here's a video of some nerd doing it.

Thanks for the tip, but I think we'll be going with the 250GB version because we were always having to make space on the 20GB hard drive.

Glad to know we at least won't lose our saves. Fiancee would go into a depression if she lost all her Fallout NV progress.

You'll need to buy / borrow a transfer cable from someone though, that, or move all your stuff to a USB stick or something.

woot.com has the 250gb Xbox hard drive today for 49.99

RROD is covered by Microsofts extended 3 year warranty. If you've purchased your 360 within 3 years a replacement is 100% free. Call 800 4 MYXBOX.

RROD is covered by Microsofts extended 3 year warranty. If you've purchased your 360 within 3 years a replacement is 100% free. Call 800 4 MYXBOX.

This, since you still have ~6 months left on your warranty. When you get the replacement, sell it, then get the slim. :)

unfortunately they changed the warranty on the new slim models. they apparently fixed the rrod issue so now they are only issuing a 1 year warranty on the new slim models....very disappointing considering their track record.

dont forget, you have to go to the xbox website, log into your account there, and transfer all DLC licenses to the new console, otherwise none of your DLC will work on your new console

i recently replaced my launch console with a Slim, quite happy now

Keep in mind if you do decide to puchase a slim. Microsoft does not offer 3 year warranty if it fails. There have been reported failures, but really nothing to be worried about. From my understanding microsoft has built in a mechanism to auto shut off the slim to prevent overheating. More of a band aid fix to a real problem that has been ongoing for 4 years i believe?

unfortunately they changed the warranty on the new slim models. they apparently fixed the rrod issue so now they are only issuing a 1 year warranty on the new slim models....very disappointing considering their track record.

Huh? This means the newer hardware is as solid as they expect so they do not need to extend it for 3 years. The original warranty for the 360 was 1 year, after the RRoD fiasco they extended it for 3 years to eat the cost... which was awesome and what they should have done.

Beginning with the Jaspers in April of 2008, failure rates dropped below 4% which is below the industry average for ANY consumer electronic. Failure rates on Jasper units were fine and things were back to normal. The Slim was an even further engineered platform and meets the same guidlines.

MS dropping the warranty to 1 year on Slims simply means the hardware is perfoming as it should be and that they are not expecting mass failures where they need to cover for a longer period of time.

The standard manufacturers warranty for most consumer electronics is 1 year, this is not out of the ordinary especially since failure rates on the 360 have been acceptable for 2 and a half years.

I believe that was said with the Falcon too. It's sad that many were fooled into thinking that issue was fixed.

Thank god, modern games aren't hard today if I was playing the final stage on Ikaruga and this message came up. I would go postal :eek:

xbox360slimreodheatvent.jpg

I believe that was said with the Falcon too. It's sad that many were fooled into thinking that issue was fixed.

Thank god, modern games aren't hard today if I was playing the final stage on Ikaruga and this message came up. I would go postal :eek:

xbox360slimreodheatvent.jpg

the new ones are solid, i have one, it runs extremely quiet and seems to run cooler, having a 140mm fan on top of the HSF exhausting out the top when laying horizontal

So, here's my question.

I have a 20GB XBox 360 we bought 2.5 years ago. Now, all the systems in the stores are Slims. Will I be able to transfer the data from my old, RRODed X360 to the new slim system? Or am I going to have to go hunt down a cheap Arcade system and toss the hard drive in there and hope for the best?

Welcome to the club.

If you dont have warranty left on it,it is a very simple fix if you have the time.
Ive fixed a few and working perfectly since then.

This
Very easy to fix

yes and no, i tried fixing mine, it worked for a while, but then it goes south a while later.....it's just like hitting snooze on the alarm clock...it will keep going off and eventually you have to face it

So, here's my question.

remove side panel from Xbox slim
remove drive from housing
install drive into new Xbox.
I used a peice of foam as a support to firmly hold the drive in place.(cut it into a \__/ shaped peice.

remove side panel from Xbox slim
remove drive from housing
install drive into new Xbox.
I used a peice of foam as a support to firmly hold the drive in place.(cut it into a \__/ shaped peice.

im not sure why this escapes people, maybe its the part of taking the drive out of the plastic case, requires a Torx driver to start

yes and no, i tried fixing mine, it worked for a while, but then it goes south a while later.....it's just like hitting snooze on the alarm clock...it will keep going off and eventually you have to face it

Mine has been going strong for almost a year. Haven't had a RROD once since the fix. The way you torque the bolts makes all the difference. Too much and it won't power up, too little and it will overheat. I did sand the heatsinks down to a mirror finish and applied AS5 as well.

Mine has been going strong for almost a year. Haven't had a RROD once since the fix. The way you torque the bolts makes all the difference. Too much and it won't power up, too little and it will overheat. I did sand the heatsinks down to a mirror finish and applied AS5 as well.

yeah, i probably could tweak it some more, right now it collects dust in a corner, its old man, i figured i would keep having to fool with it, the dvd drive would probably be next to go, had already done the potentiometer mod to stop disc read errors from a weakening laser....i got the goody out of it man.....it was just time to retire it, i might see if i can get it up and running one day soon

Yea, I just did that same thing recently. Upgraded from a original 20 gig to the 250 slim. Very nice upgrade I think. I've felt my xbox after running it hard for a couple straight and it is still virutally cool. Doesn't look like I'll be having any heating issues. Pretty easy to use a thumb drive to transfer your files compared to spending a hundred bucks on a transfer cable you'll use once in your life. The only issue I had was with the license transfers, the website kept giving me errors and then told me I could only do it once every 6 months. You can still used the dlc, but only on the account it was downloaded on originally, none of the other accounts will be able to access it until the licenses are transferred. Gonna give it another try soon here and hopefully the kinks on the website are worked out now.

Back