Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

When they live with mommy and daddy with no rent they can buy 800$ over priced chairs..:D

all 3 people I know that work from home have those

a few of the guys in my office have them

some have the fancy aeroflex ones(which did at my old job)

they are totally worth it

This post is from back a little ways but does anyone know what desk this is? I'm moving into a new place soon and looking for ideas on a new setup. I like simple desk styles like this- thinking about maybe putting 2 of these side-by-side to take up the entire wall of one room. For some reason I like enormous amounts of open desk surface area which makes it nice to do projects on or lay out stuff on.

Ruahrc

That is actually an old Kitchen table top that is 60" wide and 35" deep that my parents had in their garage. I ripped off the old frame and legs and spent about 8 hours refinishing it in my garage. 3 coats of sealer and one last sanding session and that's what you see there.

These are the legs : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10115519/

And this would be the closest top, which I ended up buying and returning because it wasn't deep enough for me : http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50106773/

-Patrick

all 3 people I know that work from home have those

a few of the guys in my office have them

some have the fancy aeroflex ones(which did at my old job)

they are totally worth it

I have that same chair and I work from home too. Only difference is, my company paid for mine (company ergonomic requirement policy etc.). I really like it alot but I doubt I would fork that kind of cash for it myself :)

I actually count my task chair (in this case the Aeron) as one of my best investments. Between working from home, gaming, and general computer usage, it is not uncommon for me to sit for 12+ hours a day. Adding up hours over a period of 12 years (the Herman Miller warranty period) and it really is not all that much money spent per hour of use.

Also, before the Aeron I could not sit comfortably in my old chair for more than 2-3 hours before my back would begin to ache. So the chair really does make a difference.

I would equate my purchase of the Aeron to buying a mattress, where it is common advise to purchase the flagship suspension (but not necessarily the flagship model) from a given manufacturer. To me, mattresses generally cost around the same or more compared to the Aeron, and I use my Aeron even moreso than my mattress.

Could a cheaper chair be found with the same level of support and comfort as the Aeron? Probably, but you would still likely be paying $200-300. I've been there, too, and those $200-300 office supply chairs usually last me 2-3 years before the faux leather starts to peal or some seam separates. I would rather spend the money upfront and get a product I am truly happy with.

Does everyone need an Aeron or an Embody? No, but I would not generalize those who purchase them.

I actually count my task chair (in this case the Aeron) as one of my best investments. Between working from home, gaming, and general computer usage, it is not uncommon for me to sit for 12+ hours a day. Adding up hours over a period of 12 years (the Herman Miller warranty period) and it really is not all that much money spent per hour of use.

Also, before the Aeron I could not sit comfortably in my old chair for more than 2-3 hours before my back would begin to ache. So the chair really does make a difference.

I would equate my purchase of the Aeron to buying a mattress, where it is common advise to purchase the flagship suspension (but not necessarily the flagship model) from a given manufacturer. To me, mattresses generally cost around the same or more compared to the Aeron, and I use my Aeron even moreso than my mattress.

Could a cheaper chair be found with the same level of support and comfort as the Aeron? Probably, but you would still likely be paying $200-300. I've been there, too, and those $200-300 office supply chairs usually last me 2-3 years before the faux leather starts to peal or some seam separates. I would rather spend the money upfront and get a product I am truly happy with.

Does everyone need an Aeron or an Embody? No, but I would not generalize those who purchase them.

As someone that works from home as well, and games from at the same PC, and also spends easily 12 hours a day, 6 days a week at my desk, this reply makes perfect sense.

I go through chairs at a rate of about one a year. They wear out, break or simply become to uncomfortable. If I could find a place to test drive an Aeron, I would seriously consider buying one.

my ergohuman still feels good. one of the arms gets a lil stiff to adjust up and down but other than that it works fine still. i wonder if i caused that issue somehow heh

As someone that works from home as well, and games from at the same PC, and also spends easily 12 hours a day, 6 days a week at my desk, this reply makes perfect sense.

I go through chairs at a rate of about one a year. They wear out, break or simply become to uncomfortable. If I could find a place to test drive an Aeron, I would seriously consider buying one.

ive tried both humanscale and aeron both 2 to 3 months 5 to 8 hours a day. think both would be perfect for you and hard wearing, i come at about 22 stnes and had no issues with em.

ive tried both humanscale and aeron both 2 to 3 months 5 to 8 hours a day. think both would be perfect for you and hard wearing, i come at about 22 stnes and had no issues with em.

I work from home as well and have an Aeron... one day I'll see about going to an Embody, but my Aeron has treated me well for years.

alot of the high end ones have 5-10 year warrranty's

Agreed on the chairs. If I can drop 1-2k for a mattress, which I only spend 5-7 hours a day on, I can drop close to that for the thing I spend 10-12 hours in.
Got my aeron for free from my old job (they had three broken ones that they opted to send to the dumpster, and I parked near the dumpster, some fiddling later I had a pile of parts and two functional chairs for myself and my roommate), but I will happily buy another (or consider the embody) when the time comes (5 years later it's still solid).
We all spend a lot of time in front of our systems, good ass/back support is important.

Is the Aeron comfier than the Humanscale Liberty chair? I had to sit in a £70 chair for a LAN night and my ass and back was killing.

Also what is the weight capacity for the Aeron, and the Embody? The biggest issue I have with the office depot/max chairs is the pneumatic cylinder pressure runs out after 2-3 years of use.

Anyone that is heavy set, have an opinion on how the Aeron/Embody holds up after 3+ years of use.

Is the Aeron comfier than the Humanscale Liberty chair? I had to sit in a £70 chair for a LAN night and my ass and back was killing.

I have a Humanscale Liberty at my office. It sucks, and I hate it. The Aeron is so much better it isn't even funny (had an Aeron for 5 years now as my home pc/gaming chair).

aeron is great specially for normal working hours, but human scale freedom has it plusses as well, the adjustable headrest and recline function makes it a very worthy chair specially if your burning all day and all nighters in one go. dont think i coulda managed well over 100 hours a week at one point with it.

once i move out of my cramped space in the new year i will defo have either one of these at my desk

I have a Humanscale Liberty at my office. It sucks, and I hate it. The Aeron is so much better it isn't even funny (had an Aeron for 5 years now as my home pc/gaming chair).

What do you hate about the liberty? I heard the Aeron hard plastic digs into your back?

aeron is great specially for normal working hours, but human scale freedom has it plusses as well, the adjustable headrest and recline function makes it a very worthy chair specially if your burning all day and all nighters in one go. dont think i coulda managed well over 100 hours a week at one point with it.

once i move out of my cramped space in the new year i will defo have either one of these at my desk

The freedom does look comfier than the liberty

FWIW, when I was buying a chair I sat in a Herman Miller Embody, Humanscale Freedom, and Steelcase Leap, and in the end I went with the Embody. Freedom's headrest didn't quite feel right no matter how I tried to adjust it; and the Leap, while more comfortable than the Freedom, did not feel as nice as the Embody.

Obviously this is all very subjective. Given the opportunity, one should definitely test 2-3 models of ergonomic chairs and figure out which one feels best.

Ahriman, since you tried all three of them, which one has the most comfortable seat cushion and good lombar support? How long did you sit in them?

DG25:

It was half a year ago, so my recollection is not 100% bulletproof. I went to an ergonomic furniture store in Manhattan and spent about 30 min sitting in the chairs and trying to adjust them to my taste. Bought online in the end since it was cheaper.

I don't think there was that much difference in seat cushion/lumbar support, at least I didn't think of them as deciding factors.

Humanscale gives you an option of foam or gel cushioning, I think I sat in a gel one, it felt very nice. It's the headrest that was the deal-breaker for me, although I could have opted for the no-headrest version. Another thing - somebody on another forum mentioned that the leatherette/polyurethane/whatever that covers the armrests is a bit coarse and over time starts looking like crap because it catches skin debris from your elbows. However, the Freedom's armrests were the most adjustable.

The Leap felt nice overall, the seat/lumbar region was very good, but the back rest was just too short -- I think it ended around the lower 1/3rd of my shoulder blades. It felt a bit strange/annoying. The Embody's back ends at my shoulders and feels better, even though I generally don't lean back.

So in the end, I had the least complaints about the Embody :) Both lumbar support/back curvature and reclining tension are adjustable, so between the two it's easy to find a setting that suits you. Note I'm not claiming that the Freedom/Leap don't have those adjustments, I just don't remember them in detail. Seat is supported by a fancy tension-based system, and I like it a lot. Compared to the Aeron at work, the Aeron envelops rather than supports you, the Embody feels better to me.

Ultimately, a $1K chair is a big purchase for most people, and it's straight up irresponsible to categorically recommend anything over the Internet IMHO. You really need to sit in them yourself. The reviews only give you a list of factors so that you can note how they apply to you.

What do you hate about the liberty? I heard the Aeron hard plastic digs into your back?

1. The aeron is way more adjustable overall - you can adjust just about everything on this chair.

2. The aeron's mesh seat gives just enough and is comfortable enough while ventilating your ass. Your seat gets warmer quicker with the liberty. This makes a difference if you are sitting at your pc for hours at a time.

3. The liberty's seat cushion generates static like a mofo. Shock city whenever you get up out of that thing.

4. The liberty's armrests are a joke. They do not pivot in/out like the aeron, and you can only adjust them to 3 preset positions. I keep having trouble with the armrests running into the lip of my desk, and i have to adjust them all the way down (thus rendering them useless) to scoot my chair a bit closer to the desk because of the 3-presets only. The Aeron you can move the armrests higher/lower as you like, and lock them in place. The Liberty armrests also don't feel very sturdy. see no 5 below.

5. The liberty feels like it was made by a toy company when compared to the Aeron - much better build quality on the herman miller. We refreshed our office with Liberties in 2009 and already a lot of them are tearing up. Obviously most of us dont realize how expensive/"nice" these chairs are and don't treat them very well, but I see a ton of broken armrests/casters and a few seatpans.

6. The price. From what i've seen, a liberty costs just as much as the regular non-posturefit system Aeron, for a CLEARLY inferior chair.

If you are considering a Liberty, you should immediately disqualify it IMO. As far as im concerned, you'd be better off buying a 300 dollar office supply store chair, because in 3 years or less you are just going to be replacing the Liberty anyways after it tears up or because you hate it. It's better to be out 300 bucks as opposed to 700-900 or whatever the Liberty costs.

Anyone that is heavy set, have an opinion on how the Aeron/Embody holds up after 3+ years of use.

I'm a big guy and heavyset (6'3" 300+lbs). I use a "size C" areon, and have had no issues with the basic pellicles (seat material). I tried one of the fancier "wave" ones, but it didn't last and went back to my original pellicle type. No problem with piston pressures. I've had my Aeron for 10 years.

I also have the posture fit option on my Aeron, not the lumbar pad, it's fantastic:

hermanmiller_aeron_posturefit.jpg

The best ergonomic chairs in my opinion are either bodybilt or neutral posture. I have a Neutral Posture 8600 and it is far better than my loaded mirra or haworth zody

Can we get back on topic here? I'm all about a nice chair but start a "show your high end ergonomic chair" thread. To discuss it further. Let me see some more LCD setups.

Generally the problem is that the cushion wears out from to much use. This is considered normal wear and tear, something not covered by a warranty.

my work aeron has a tear in the mesh seat part, so they replaced it under warranty, and the back too :confused:

and a wheel

was like a new chair again, and more comphy due the new firmness, guy that had it before me was liek 250 lbs

back on topic......here is my old eyefinity setup
IMAG0065.jpg

I tried a number of task chairs from steelcase, herman miller, hon, humanscale and haworth. I ended up with a hon nucleus and am happy thus far.

I good chair is worth the money, for comfort and longevity. $500+ chairs from reputable manufactures come with a 10-12 year warrenty which is worth the higher price. Every $100-200 chair I've purchased lasted only 1-2 years.

Well, EXCUSE us for having to audacity to help out some fellow posters. Sheesh.

Help them out all you want just not in the LCD thread. Start a new thread and post away. Have polls, recommendations, reviews, pics, whatever just not in the LCD thread. :D

Help them out all you want just not in the LCD thread. Start a new thread and post away. Have polls, recommendations, reviews, pics, whatever just not in the LCD thread. :D

I am in agreement; I also think that a high-end chair thread would be awesome, and I would totally frequent that thread (just maybe not as much as I lurk this one:D),

I don't remember posting this link here earlier, but here is an album showing all the setups I've had.

CLICK HERE

The last picture is my latest setup. I got to clean the room a little bit more. I will do that this evening in fact.

We have the exact same mouse. I love that pad also.
How do you like the Viewsonics? I have always liked the earlier models.

It's the first ViewSonic monitors I've owned. It used to be an eyefinity setup but I currently have one monitor at my girlfriend's house and she uses it as an external monitor for her MacBook Pro to do graphic design work so it must be pretty good :D

Back