Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

What's the giant grey cables going into the thingie on top of your AV receiver?

Those are optical audio cables and the thing on top of my receiver is a switch for them. That's a horribly old reciever and only has one input for optical audio.

Man. I've always been a single monitor kind of guy. Can't explain it. Tried dual monitor and promptly switched back. Gave it another try again under ideal circumstances (matching monitors), still didn't like it, went back. I guess I just like seeing my entire desktop without having to move my head.

mahdesk2.jpg

Older pic, but setup remains roughly the same. Only thing missing is the eSATA Cardbus card connecting one of the Antec cases instead of using USB2. Most frequent question I get is why the Altoids tin has wires coming out of it. It's a Chu Moy Amplifier for my headphones. (You can find them on eBay. Worth the bucks, IMHO.) Pretty ghetto looking overall, but that folding picnic table is by far the best desk I've ever used. Nothing under it to reduce leg space, nice big flat surface on top, just the right height for me... ugly as shit, but love it to death.

Here's mine.
All 3 are hooked up to the same desktop. the other 2 computers are headless, but i use the extra monitors for remoting into each.

Myroom002.jpg

4th monitor for viewing shows and movies in bed.
Myroom011.jpg

Myroom013.jpg

Myroom014.jpg

cool, i know this is a lcd show off but, can't resist i built these a long time ago before i was into computers i was actually into building plastic car models here are a few pics

CIMG0406.jpg

CIMG0415.jpg

CIMG0413.jpg

CIMG0416.jpg

CIMG0407.jpg

^^^won second place in a lowrider magazine back in 1999 with this car ^^^^^

Setup is: Quad 2.93 nehalem Mac Pro with GTX 285 and Vertex SSD. This setup is running on 2x 3007-HC screens.

2he9c91.jpg

Setup is: Quad 2.93 nehalem Mac Pro with GTX 285 and Vertex SSD. This setup is running on 2x 3007-HC screens.

You running the Apple EVGA card or did you EFI flash a PC card? I've got the ATI card and have been contemplating moving to the GTX.

I've got a Vertex in my laptop, love that thing.

u notice what OS is on it?

Yep. My roommate's got an Aspire laptop (14 inch model, seen by MacOSX as a Mac Mini/Core Solo setup) that OSX installed just fine on. The Aspire One isn't far behind in what you need to do to make it work, from what I understand. I would just have Fedora/XFCE on mine if it wasn't for some apps that I have (that are more useful on the road such as DJ software and Screenplay writing crap) that -will not- work in Wine. The FC8 based Linpus was pretty much a total abortion.

If you haven't gotten any... grab the 9 cell batteries on eBay. About $60. I get 9 1/2 hours consistently on my unit. I got mine from user, 100digi, 7200mAh. Same OEM for the cells inside the 9 hour kit compared to the 3 cell that comes with the unit. Though now there's some people shipping them from within the US that sell for about $45. Can't vouch for those or tell you what brand's inside them.

:wow: How does he find anything in that mess? Or does he have it all ripped and it's just for display purposes? I also see some cassettes in there as well.

I have 1400 CDs from when my brother and I used to DJ, and I can say they take up faaaaar less room in Pro Sleeves....get rid of the jewel cases. :)

How does a picture of room full of CDs end up in a thread titled "Show your LCD Setups" ?

overkill%20005.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitetrashzenkiller/Overkill#5357680895537539618http://picasaweb.google.com/whitetrashzenkiller/Overkill#5357680895537539618
http://picasaweb.google.com/whitetrashzenkiller/Overkill#5357682208879052050
This is my work setup - four 24"( two Soyo Topaz S and two HP w2048h) monitors, two 20" (HP 2065LP). Plus a laptop, but that is just for mp3s. I'm not the neatest guy in the world, but it is a pretty functional space. My machine is an Intel Q8200 in an MSI P7NSLI with 3 ATI FirePro v3700 cards to drive them all. I don't do CAD, but I do run 3 to 6 virtual machines at any given time. 8GB of RAM running Windows 2003 Server x64 Standard. Getting Catalyst to support rotating all 6 monitors was a challenge, it ended up being a non-standard and very ugly hack. But it works. I write automated test harnesses to test Java apps which I run on some nice Sun gear - a couple of T2000's and some blades - lotta fun.

My work didn't pay for any of the monitors which is why they are all different - obviously if I'd purchased them all at once they wouldn't look so haphazard. Oh, the 2 Soyos are on an Ergotron dual monitor arm, which I love and am quite impressed with. The HPs all have stands that support rotation, which is a requirement for me.

Magnum of champagne is just for scale - and it was a friday when I took this picture.

Last edited:
Looks like information overkill to me. But if it's for your work, then it's more than justified. I just don't think I'd be able to multitask that MUCH information all at once.

overkill%20005.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/whitetrashzenkiller/Overkill#5357680895537539618http://picasaweb.google.com/whitetrashzenkiller/Overkill#5357680895537539618
http://picasaweb.google.com/whitetrashzenkiller/Overkill#5357682208879052050
This is my work setup - four 24"( two Soyo Topaz S and two HP w2048h) monitors, two 20" (HP 2065LP). Plus a laptop, but that is just for mp3s. I'm not the neatest guy in the world, but it is a pretty functional space. My machine is an Intel Q8200 in an MSI P7NSLI with 3 ATI FirePro v3700 cards to drive them all. I don't do CAD, but I do run 3 to 6 virtual machines at any given time. 8GB of RAM running Windows 2003 Server x64 Standard. Getting Catalyst to support rotating all 6 monitors was a challenge, it ended up being a non-standard and very ugly hack. But it works. I write automated test harnesses to test Java apps which I run on some nice Sun gear - a couple of T2000's and some blades - lotta fun.

My work didn't pay for any of the monitors which is why they are all different - obviously if I'd purchased them all at once they wouldn't look so haphazard. Oh, the 2 Soyos are on an Ergotron dual monitor arm, which I love and am quite impressed with. The HPs all have stands that support rotation, which is a requirement for me.

Magnum of champagne is just for scale - and it was a friday when I took this picture.

WINNER!!!!

Looks like information overkill to me. But if it's for your work, then it's more than justified. I just don't think I'd be able to multitask that MUCH information all at once.

I understand where he's coming from with using it for your development IDE...its like having a bunch of open textbooks that you can glance at as you work in your primary space...you don't constantly use every one of them, but its easier to see it all at a glance then keep flipping windows around or using virtual desktops to flip back and forth. I have 4 LCD's on my desk at work but I mainly "actively" use two, the others keep open reference windows, status meters/graphs, etc...especially useful when you need to cursory glance to spot trending in realtime. I run double the resolution at home, so only needed two displays, though I may go to three because its getting a little wierd not having a "middle" display.

I think I have that background as well... lol @ the gibson comment.

You running the Apple EVGA card or did you EFI flash a PC card? I've got the ATI card and have been contemplating moving to the GTX.

I've got a Vertex in my laptop, love that thing.

I'm running the EVGA card since dual DVI was something I really wanted on the same card.

nice of you to judge a guy who doesn't even have an ashtray on the desk which tells me that he actually probably doesn't smoke in the house.

Back