Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

LMAO you obviously have not tried the westy. :eek: I'd take a 3rd :p if possible. And yes I actualy enjoying have 2 of these, great size given tthe resolution, granted I would not go any larger unless they had higher rez. I don't have to enlarge text like I would on a 24 (which decreases the advantages of having a high resolution in the first place when writing code, or hell even viewing website text).
Damn, that's some serious viewing space!

Nice Galant desk, too.

So how about some details on this monitor, you are the first person on [H] to snag one, or so it appears...

I love it. People on Newegg complained it has a really cool color tone by default, emphasizing blues heavily. This is true out of the box, but I guess those tards didn't realize you can go into the OSD and press maybe 5 buttons, and have the color tone changed to Warm. Once you do that, it looks amazing. I highly recommend this monitor. Works great in CS:S, Live for Speed, and I'm going to test out some BF2 & Test Drive Unlimited on it later today.

WAY too big for a typical desktop. Anything more than 22"-23" is overkil b/c you'd have to sit back farther to see the sides well.

I agree. Atleast here in Finland I havent seen or heard of anyone who has that big of a monitor in their desk. Well, i have no idea how cheap those LCD's are in the States.

And atleast my Hyundai Vvuon 32" heats up like a fucker, theres no way i could put it 50cm away at the desk.

And im not saying this because i would be jealous. I'd have the money to boy another big LCD, but atleast for my use i've found 22-24" LCD is the best. But like in every case, everyone does their own decisions.. I just find it a bit weird. :p

I agree. Atleast here in Finland I havent seen or heard of anyone who has that big of a monitor in their desk. Well, i have no idea how cheap those LCD's are in the States.

And atleast my Hyundai Vvuon 32" heats up like a fucker, theres no way i could put it 50cm away at the desk.

And im not saying this because i would be jealous. I'd have the money to boy another big LCD, but atleast for my use i've found 22-24" LCD is the best. But like in every case, everyone does their own decisions.. I just find it a bit weird. :p

My Bosses 24" Dell heats up more than my westy. And my old 22" CRT Got pretty warm as well...

I have updated since my first post on about page 332-334 somewhere in there.

Click on Photos to View

This is my amazingly cute son named Ethan.

This is my setup, I pay for an extra room in my apartment so I can spread out. Movie posters from my work. Put shelves up a couple weeks ago. Oh yeah, that thing under Blood Diamond poster is a fridge.

Bookshelf for my manuals and software and other books. My printer is outta black ink again cause my girlfriend prints too much crap.

TV kinda looks concealed but is at perfect location when I am at computer. Got my PS3 hooked up to the 1920x1200 24" monitor and the sound relayed through the speakers. Modem and wireless router hidden behind desk. White clip next to PSP on side of fridge holds my headphones.

Pic of setup. Fish on left belongs to my son, his name is holy dumb piece of crap. The fish, not my son. Wireless mouse and keyboard all the way. Put fan up cause it was hot.

Oh yeah, I also have my TV signal going through my monitor. Totally not needed but fun anyway. Dell 2407wfp 24". Badass monitor.

Well there you go. I would love for everyone to tell me what they think. I used to have a second 17" monitor hooked up, but took up too much space so I ditched it.

That's a nice setup you have there, LoneRearanger. Although, much like your second 17" monitor, your text is taking up a little too much space.

Edit: That's better. ;)

Not too cheap here in the States either, at least not the quality flat-panels. I paid $579. - $100. MIR for this NEC 20WMGX2, and I'm happy with it.

There's a lot more to a monitor than the sheer size. WTF good is a large screen if the image is fairly sucky?

Not too cheap here in the States either, at least not the quality flat-panels. I paid $579. - $100. MIR for this NEC 20WMGX2, and I'm happy with it.

There's a lot more to a monitor than the sheer size. WTF good is a large screen if the image is fairly sucky?

Hey if you want to squint at the small text on a 24" knock yourself out. That is NOT for me, not after trying a 37 anyways. I have been doing that for years and years. I also was not planning to keep both, but everyone that has actualy sceen the setup todl me not to return the second one!

Again you obviously have not sceen the westy, but I HAVE sceen several 24's :p The image quality is NOT sucky at all. Believe me I have a Dimatron 22" CRT as well and it does 2048x1536 rez @ 85 HTZ although it looked best around 1600x1200 @85-100htz. Also Like I said we have the dell 24's at work. I'm keeping my Westy 37. If I thought the image quality was not good it would go right back 100% refund, I too was skeptical before I ordered but took a chance and I'm very glad I did. It's not perfect, but I don't think ANY LCD is at this point. I would not go to a 42" unless you sit at least 4-5 feet back though. 37 is pushing the envelope for sitting at a desk @ this resolution. The price was decent too, $200 more than the dell 24. The response time is 8ms though, but, It does not seem to have any ghosting issues what so ever. Blacks are pretty decent as well. I can hook up a cable box and whatever else to it too.

^^^ I like the fishtank on the desk :)

Yeah. I just checked a few cheapy 37 inchers (1366x768), and they are about 1350$. Thats alot for a computer display, especially when a decent 22" costs 400$.

And these prizes are in Finland.

You need to compare HDTVs to HDTVs, and the Westy is very well priced in relation to the rest of the 1080p market, granted it is one of the few 1080p sets without an actual HD-tuner built-in.

Well I dont consider a HDTV as a computer monitor.. :D They dont even sell Westys here, so i have no idea how they are compared to other HDTV's.. Apparently they are ok shit, since so many of you have them. :p

Well anyways, this is all offtopic. :D

The westy and the NEC is comparing apples to oranges. It's like saying a pickup is better than a ferrari because it holds more. Even at the same price I'd go for the 20WMGX2, then again I'm a quality over quantity guy some people just want the biggest display possible

WAY too big for a typical desktop. Anything more than 22"-23" is overkil b/c you'd have to sit back farther to see the sides well.
Nonsense. I have a 19" and 26" next to each other on my desk, both at almost the same distance from my eyes, and I can see the entire areas of both screens perfectly fine from where-ever I sit at this desk at all times.

Maybe your desks are too small? My desk is 1m 50 cm deep and 2m50 cm wide.

I have updated since my first post on about page 332-334 somewhere in there.

Click on Photos to View

This is my amazingly cute son named Ethan.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6351/dsc01418jz4.th.jpg

This is my setup, I pay for an extra room in my apartment so I can spread out. Movie posters from my work. Put shelves up a couple weeks ago. Oh yeah, that thing under Blood Diamond poster is a fridge.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/181/dsc02255hh4.th.jpg

Bookshelf for my manuals and software and other books. My printer is outta black ink again cause my girlfriend prints too much crap.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4034/dsc02256uc3.th.jpg

TV kinda looks concealed but is at perfect location when I am at computer. Got my PS3 hooked up to the 1920x1200 24" monitor and the sound relayed through the speakers. Modem and wireless router hidden behind desk. White clip next to PSP on side of fridge holds my headphones.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6001/dsc02259vj0.th.jpg

Pic of setup. Fish on left belongs to my son, his name is holy dumb piece of crap. The fish, not my son. Wireless mouse and keyboard all the way. Put fan up cause it was hot.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/889/dsc02261kt1.th.jpg

Oh yeah, I also have my TV signal going through my monitor. Totally not needed but fun anyway. Dell 2407wfp 24". Badass monitor.
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6803/dsc02262eb8.th.jpg

Well there you go. I would love for everyone to tell me what they think. I used to have a second 17" monitor hooked up, but took up too much space so I ditched it.

Hey I remember you. Last time you posted on here someone started some argument. I forget what it was about but it was pretty entertaining. I think it had something to do with you calling your kds monitor a nec?

Nonsense. I have a 19" and 26" next to each other on my desk, both at almost the same distance from my eyes, and I can see the entire areas of both screens perfectly fine from where-ever I sit at this desk at all times.

Maybe your desks are too small? My desk is 1m 50 cm deep and 2m50 cm wide.

In my opinion, a widescreen monitor more than about 24" diag. from a normal desktop distance starts getting too large to view comfortably for gaming, (other applications this may not hold true for). Much bigger than that then you have to start backing away from the screen, which then defeats the purpose of having a big screen. Not to mention dot pitch, sharpness, and response time usually suffers as the screen gets bigger.

You and others don't have to agree, but that's just what I've noticed with bigger screen sizes. You can spend your $$ on oversized screens if you want - it doesn't bother me in the least.

In my opinion, a widescreen monitor more than about 24" diag. from a normal desktop distance starts getting too large to view comfortably for gaming, (other applications this may not hold true for). Much bigger than that then you have to start backing away from the screen, which then defeats the purpose of having a big screen. Not to mention dot pitch, sharpness, and response time usually suffers as the screen gets bigger.

You and others don't have to agree, but that's just what I've noticed with bigger screen sizes. You can spend your $$ on oversized screens if you want - it doesn't bother me in the least.

The trick of visual immersion is to have a display large enough to cover your FOV to the point where you have to move your eyes and head somewhat. Instead of leaning forward staring into a smaller display, you are looking forward seated normally and see action just out of your main focus that you have to adjust for. Tons of various venues are based on this notion, it's not a new concept, consumer displays are just finally reaching the point where high pixel density and size are reasonaby priced. So instead of putting your face closer to the bright light of the screen for the same effect, lots of people in this forum choose to sit back, relax and enjoy their big screens. You can't pigeon-hole other peoples reasons for buying larger monitors, so you can't say it defeats their purpose of buying a larger screen. All you can say is what you prefer otherwise you sound like an ass. I've personally posted in this thread single and multiple monitor setups from 17" to 42" and one thing in certain... tastes change and no display is perfection, they just work for what you need at the time.

The trick of visual immersion is to have a display large enough to cover your FOV to the point where you have to move your eyes and head somewhat. Instead of leaning forward staring into a smaller display, you are looking forward seated normally and see action just out of your main focus that you have to adjust for. Tons of various venues are based on this notion, it's not a new concept, consumer displays are just finally reaching the point where high pixel density and size are reasonaby priced. So instead of putting your face closer to the bright light of the screen for the same effect, lots of people in this forum choose to sit back, relax and enjoy their big screens. You can't pigeon-hole other peoples reasons for buying larger monitors, so you can't say it defeats their purpose of buying a larger screen. All you can say is what you prefer otherwise you sound like an ass. I've personally posted in this thread single and multiple monitor setups from 17" to 42" and one thing in certain... tastes change and no display is perfection, they just work for what you need at the time.

Wow , that is one of the best written paragraphs I have seen in this forum in a long time and QFT:cool:

Wow , that is one of the best written paragraphs I have seen in this forum in a long time and QFT:cool:

I think i'm going to have to agree with you, jacuzz1. Like aztec61, i've always thought having a large monitor is, well, pretty pointless since one has to distance themselves further away in order to take full advantage of it- basically defeating the purpose of buying a larger monitor in the first place. However, looking at it how hamm3rhead described makes a lot of sense; i've never looked at it this way before. Indeed, it does feel more immersive if the subject (the monitor, in this case) fills ones' field of view; it kind of makes me sad sitting here 2' away from my 22" monitor with about 3' of wall around it still in my field of view.

Nice try to put words in my mouth, but I'm not trying to "pigeon hole" anyone. If you want what I consider to be an overly large screen (for gaming), go for it. But you should try to stay away from slagging others b/c they don't agree with having a similar set up, since doing so makes you "sound like an ass".

:p :p :p

Have a nice day!

I thought I'd post an update since I'm back at my parents' house for the summer. The rest of the pictures can be seen here.

00%20(1).jpg

00%20(14).jpg

00%20(3).jpg

00%20(15).jpg

Nice try to put words in my mouth, but I'm not trying to "pigeon hole" anyone. If you want what I consider to be an overly large screen (for gaming), go for it. But you should try to stay away from slagging others b/c they don't agree with having a similar set up, since doing so makes you "sound like an ass".

:p :p :p

Have a nice day!

I like this thread; I welcome any constructive or entertaining contributions. I especially like when people contribute with pictures of their lcd setups.

That being said lets take a quick look at your contributions to a thread I enjoy reading: You said your mind in post 7721, you reinforced it in 7724 and said you wanted no part of big-screen monitors and it was rolleyes worthy. Then you complain about multi-monitors in 7730, fine. You imply that you made a good choice with a smaller screen in 7751 and that others maybe aren't as aware of what makes a good monitor as you (especially the bigscreen monitor dumbasses apparently). Another snipe in 7754. Then finally in post 7761 you made your opinion clear again, plus added how it doesn't bother you that other people buy and enjoy their large monitors.

How's this for a suggestion? POST A PICTURE OF YOUR LCD SETUP and stop complaining about other peoples preferences.

Just so we are all on the same page: I am an ass.

I thought I'd post an update since I'm back at my parents' house for the summer. The rest of the pictures can be seen here.

images removed

Nice and clean, do you have any problems with vibrations from your JBL's on those shelves or do you have cloth or something under them?

I like this thread; I welcome any constructive or entertaining contributions. I especially like when people contribute with pictures of their lcd setups.

That being said lets take a quick look at your contributions to a thread I enjoy reading: You said your mind in post 7721, you reinforced it in 7724 and said you wanted no part of big-screen monitors and it was rolleyes worthy. Then you complain about multi-monitors in 7730, fine. You imply that you made a good choice with a smaller screen in 7751 and that others maybe aren't as aware of what makes a good monitor as you (especially the bigscreen monitor dumbasses apparently). Another snipe in 7754. Then finally in post 7761 you made your opinion clear again, plus added how it doesn't bother you that other people buy and enjoy their large monitors.

How's this for a suggestion? POST A PICTURE OF YOUR LCD SETUP and stop complaining about other peoples preferences.

Just so we are all on the same page: I am an ass.

How's this for a suggestion: GET A GRIP. I don't recall that I "complained" about anyone's choice in monitors, b/c I couldn't give a shit less what other's use. I simply posted my opinions as to why I use what I do.

Maybe you're trying to convince someone (or yourself) that you've got the "best" idea for PC parts - as if ? Are we supposed to be impressed? :rolleyes:

Thx for playing.

LMAO you obviously have not tried the westy. :eek: I'd take a 3rd :p if possible. And yes I actualy enjoying have 2 of these, great size given tthe resolution, granted I would not go any larger unless they had higher rez. I don't have to enlarge text like I would on a 24 (which decreases the advantages of having a high resolution in the first place when writing code, or hell even viewing website text).

DualMonitors.jpg

Wow, that is so awesome! But you're gonna go soooo blind lol. I had one 30 incher and in 6 months I had headaches and eye strain like no other...

Nice and clean, do you have any problems with vibrations from your JBL's on those shelves or do you have cloth or something under them?

I don't have any problems with vibrations (I have some of that non-slide, rubbery-type matting under each speaker), though there is a noticeable hump centered around 100Hz from (I presume) resonance from the shelves. Since my computer is the only source I use, I fight the peak with EQ.

I don't have any problems with vibrations (I have some of that non-slide, rubbery-type matting under each speaker), though there is a noticeable hump centered around 100Hz from (I presume) resonance from the shelves. Since my computer is the only source I use, I fight the peak with EQ.

Cool, I wondered about that since most of the JBL bookshelves I've owned have been a bit light in the case for their drivers :)

Back