Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

Roliath

2[H]4U
From the workstation thread.
Desk.jpg

knight427

Limp Gawd
Very nice set up. I especially like the room and the built in shelving (even though tough to see the built ins).

Thanks. Here is a better shot of the built in. It's solid oak. Nice, but I would have gone with something with a lighter grain. Still, I'm not complaining.

IMG_2617.jpg

morfinx

[H]ard|Gawd
Grrrr. I want to post my new PLP setup, but waiting to get one of the 20" monitor replaced :mad:

morfinx

[H]ard|Gawd
Most stuff is widescreen anyways, and media classic player lets u move the image around the screen so I can get it flush with the cieling all the time.

Nice :D My projection goes to the other side of the room, problem solved! 106" of cinematic goodness :D

God dam i love that combo PLP.... i just cant justify the expense of the dell 30" and then the juice ie gpu(s) to run it as i like relatively high fps while gaming.

Here is my cheaper (hobo) setup, definitely not perfect but i have come to love it.

Just game on main, resource monitoring/steam etc on right and net surfing/sport scores etc on left plus tv on top lcd.

I think my next setup will, well love to be 6 x 27" array when i can sneak it in without the missus seeing.

photo.jpg

d_stilgar

Limp Gawd
What 20in monitors are most of you guys using for PLP? Dell doesn't have an ultrasharp version of 20in monitors, so what are you guys using?

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
What 20in monitors are most of you guys using for PLP? Dell doesn't have an ultrasharp version of 20in monitors, so what are you guys using?

I use Dell 2001FP 20" 1600x1200 4:3 IPS in portrait mode - best for the job as they look great, the stand pivots, and the PPI is very close to a 30" 2560x1600. Unlike the newer 1600x900 widescreens, 1200 is wide enough for web surfing and it shows an 8.5"x11" page perfectly at 100% scaling. I tried 20" 1680x1050 widescreens for portrait mode, didn't look right so I switched to 1600x1200. I *DID* find a use for the extra widescreens:

5941109279_4280ebcd75_z.jpg

I still get a kick from the sheer awe this setup inspires in people who see it for the first time, especially those who already use multi-monitor rigs like video and music editors.

meadgamer

Weaksauce
I use Dell 2001FP 20" 1600x1200 4:3 IPS in portrait mode - best for the job as they look great, the stand pivots, and the PPI is very close to a 30" 2560x1600. Unlike the newer 1600x900 widescreens, 1200 is wide enough for web surfing and it shows an 8.5"x11" page perfectly at 100% scaling. I tried 20" 1680x1050 widescreens for portrait mode, didn't look right so I switched to 1600x1200. I *DID* find a use for the extra widescreens:

5941109279_4280ebcd75_z.jpg

I still get a kick from the sheer awe this setup inspires in people who see it for the first time, especially those who already use multi-monitor rigs like video and music editors.

What stand are you using for your setup? Can you give the make/model, and any pics of the back side with the stand when you get a chance, that setup looks like something I'd be interested in doing for a future build.

Also, what graphics cards do you use to drive them all? I'm guessing you need 2-3 to drive them?

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
What stand are you using for your setup? Can you give the make/model, and any pics of the back side with the stand when you get a chance, that setup looks like something I'd be interested in doing for a future build.

Also, what graphics cards do you use to drive them all? I'm guessing you need 2-3 to drive them?

Getting back there to take a photo is a bitch due to the way my desk is laid out.

I use 3 dual vertical monitor stands to achieve this effect because I like to curve the wing monitors inwards and a single monitor stand never has enough flexibility for that. The left one is Ergotron, the middle is Atdec, and the right is a Moview quad stand that I mounted only 2 monitors on (the Moview cannot take a 30"). It is a heck of a lot cheaper than the standard sextuple stands and I have never seen any 6-monitor stands that could take a 30". The rig is so wide and heavy it is almost impossible to put it on a single pole unless the pole was solid metal and the base would have to be absolutely huge to counterbalance the sheer mass. If you go a similar route, definitely get the Ergotron stands as they are much more flexible in positioning - the Atdec is in the middle because it totally sucks at non-centered positioning of monitors.

This rig is in my signature - all the monitors are plugged into a single video card, an ASUS HD6950 DCII. I have a second HD6950 from XFX in the computer but it has no monitors plugged into it as it is there strictly for Crossfire.

thepawn

Limp Gawd
I use Dell 2001FP 20" 1600x1200 4:3 IPS in portrait mode - best for the job as they look great, the stand pivots, and the PPI is very close to a 30" 2560x1600.

I second the 2001FP IPSs, they are what I use with my 30" for PLP as well.

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Here's my setup:

I'm currently h4x0ring. :D

I'm hoping to go 3x at some point, but I need to build my new desk first.

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
My bedroom cinema and ultimate desktop setup!
20" 30" 20" Dells

IMG_0223.jpg

All these cool setups in this thread, and I still say the #1 is without a doubt the 20"P + 30"L + 20"P, AMD + nVidia need to get their driver team on getting that setup rolling for gaming. I know it is a very small crowd that even own this setup, but AMD has had Eyefinity going for over two years already, they couldn't figure that out yet after two years ? I know it's not a pressing concern for their driver development, but would think after all this time, they could at least get some basic drivers to make this work ?

morfinx

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, time for the new setup pic!

But alas, the right side monitor is gone for RMA for the 2nd time right now :mad:

All these cool setups in this thread, and I still say the #1 is without a doubt the 20"P + 30"L + 20"P, AMD + nVidia need to get their driver team on getting that setup rolling for gaming. I know it is a very small crowd that even own this setup, but AMD has had Eyefinity going for over two years already, they couldn't figure that out yet after two years ? I know it's not a pressing concern for their driver development, but would think after all this time, they could at least get some basic drivers to make this work ?
I actually tracked down the EF development team lead and asked him about this. Basically, PLP EF is on the roadmap, but not for this year. There are a lot of HW and SW challenges to overcome.

elvn

Supreme [H]ardness
Plus they don't make any monitors to suit it anymore?
And... the best (LCD) gaming monitors for motion (incl. FoV movement) are 2ms 120hz TN's with aggressive (high/very high) response time compensation hardware. (An explanation of how 120hz 2m RTC works here). So PLP would have to be a mixed bag. 27" 1080p is 81.59 ppi.. 23" 1080p is 95.78ppi. I don't mind my side monitors being longer personally, but the game scene would have to apply properly (game scene the correct size puzzle pieces like looking through a tiled window of different cell sizes).
I did set up a 27" 2560x1440 ips with a 19" 1440x900 on each side. The sidebar monitors were set back further on monitor arms to shrink them to my perspective, until the matched pretty solidly. I still have the ips -- but 10ms+ response time and no aggressive RTC, even on a panel with no scaler (no scaler added input lag), smears a lot. The 120hz 2ms + aggressive RTC TN I have reduces smear appreciably vs same at 60hz, let alone a 10ms+ no agg. RTC ips.
So unless they came out with a 1400 or 1200 x 1080 or something at the right size and ppi I don't think PLP would be the best for gaming currently. Prob better off with landscape eyefinity even if the extreme sides seem wasted. They are helping trick your brain into feeling more immersed though imo, by painting more of your actual eyeball view as the game world rather than the physical room you are in (in your periphery). Eyefinty aspects visualized here.
PLP or using "Sidebar" monitors in portrait mode of any size/ppi is great for desktop stuff though. I still have my two sidebar monitors in between my 27" 2560x1440 10ms+ ips and my 27" 120hz 2m high RTC TN.

Last edited:

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
All I need for my display.

500 bucks on black friday got a 46 inch 120 hz 1080p tv.. Insignia.

Cheap on the wallet and friends love it.
allineedt.jpg

Wilo

Limp Gawd
Nice display Eshelmen! What's the input lag like on that panel, or have you noticed any?

meadgamer

Weaksauce
Getting back there to take a photo is a bitch due to the way my desk is laid out.

I use 3 dual vertical monitor stands to achieve this effect because I like to curve the wing monitors inwards and a single monitor stand never has enough flexibility for that. The left one is Ergotron, the middle is Atdec, and the right is a Moview quad stand that I mounted only 2 monitors on (the Moview cannot take a 30"). It is a heck of a lot cheaper than the standard sextuple stands and I have never seen any 6-monitor stands that could take a 30". The rig is so wide and heavy it is almost impossible to put it on a single pole unless the pole was solid metal and the base would have to be absolutely huge to counterbalance the sheer mass. If you go a similar route, definitely get the Ergotron stands as they are much more flexible in positioning - the Atdec is in the middle because it totally sucks at non-centered positioning of monitors.

This rig is in my signature - all the monitors are plugged into a single video card, an ASUS HD6950 DCII. I have a second HD6950 from XFX in the computer but it has no monitors plugged into it as it is there strictly for Crossfire.

Thank you , I enjoyed your setup. How do you game, do you switch to only using the 30' monitor for gaming purposes? Or do you eyefinity the bottom 3? Kinda confused how you do that, I'm guessing its something that you change in the eyefinity software though and activate the other card for crossfire?