Show Your LCD(s) setups!!!

LOL no need to get upset if you can't afford it... There's people posting about 27" 1440p screens selling for $400 in this section, I guess you can look into that.

I was just curious why you said that you wish you had a PLP setup instead of 3x27". I see absolutely no advantage in PLP vs 3x1440p screens except that it takes less space.

Not upset at all, I have the cash to spend on them, I just don't see the point in replacing 3 fine 27" monitors, with the same size again just higher res.

I have always liked the P+L+P setup best, because the sides aren't so wide then, and is more useful. 3 x 27" is soooooo wide, always turning head left and right to see everything.

Not upset at all, I have the cash to spend on them, I just don't see the point in replacing 3 fine 27" monitors, with the same size again just higher res.

I have always liked the P+L+P setup best, because the sides aren't so wide then, and is more useful. 3 x 27" is soooooo wide, always turning head left and right to see everything.

Portrait 27" isn't that bad. But it is still quite large. I agree, 27" landscape is ridiculously wide... It should be fun for games once I get my last one setup. Desk mounted with Ergotron LX mounts makes it easy to go from portrait to landscape.

It's true, it is wide :(

What you do with your setup is up to you, but in LLL eyefinity gaming you aren't supposed to be looking at the side monitors directly and especially not turning your head. You are supposed to be "in" the scene - any "head turning" is supposed to be mouse-looking, moving your virtual camera. You aren't supposed to be sitting back so far as to see the entire strip at once either (videos showing eyefinity gaming have to show the whole strip since they can't show you peripheral). Its not about seeing the whole scene to pwn noobs better - the side monitors are supposed to fill your periphery for a sense of immersion, making you feel like you are "in" the scene more.

Portrait mode basically makes one larger monitor with the bars centralized more (and a high ppi). The only portrait with any side peripheral effect aspect wise is 5x1 portrait, which is similar to a PLP aspect. Personally any monitors or arrays that emulate a single monitor (PPP for example) that combined are over 30" to my seated real world perspective are too large for me at normal desk distances, making their "primary monitor" field extents fall into the periphery including height... where a LLL setup again has the side extents peripheral by design, keeping all HUDs, notifications, pointers, chat, etc within focus on the central screen - on games that support it properly.

PLP is nice but they don't really make monitors that match very well anymore, for people that hate overaggressive AG the 30" panels are not an option either, and PLP gaming isn't supported outside of softTH software hack on certain games, at least as of now... though some games can play fullscreen in a window (multi gpu setups either don't work at all or don't work well in windowed mode though afaik.. I know amd doesn't at all)

http://www.web-cyb.org/images/lcds/eyefinity_config-aspects-visualized_sm.jpg

Last edited:
What you do with your setup is up to you, but in LLL eyefinity gaming you aren't supposed to be looking at the side monitors directly and especially not turning your head. You are supposed to be "in" the scene - any "head turning" is supposed to be mouse-looking, moving your virtual camera. You aren't supposed to be sitting back so far as to see the entire strip at once either (videos showing eyefinity gaming have to show the whole strip since they can't show you peripheral). Its not about seeing the whole scene to pwn noobs better - the side monitors are supposed to fill your periphery for a sense of immersion, making you feel like you are "in" the scene more.
I mean that it's wide when using LLL for work. Of course it's the best for gaming and it's great that it's really wide.

Just need to tie up a few cable under the screens, put pretty much setup an running. I sure wish AMD would put out PLP eyefinity support. Minecraft for now!!

quGU

Just need to tie up a few cable under the screens, put pretty much setup an running. I sure wish AMD would put out PLP eyefinity support. Minecraft for now!!

*Pic Snip*

Do you have issues with menus/inventory/etc not working when stretched to fill all monitors?

Yep.

I used to have issues running at 2560x1600 on the 30" display until a couple patches ago as well. Im sure they will add in even higher resolutions later on once again.

I'm sitting with that exact same setup on my desk and its the best configuration I could ask for. Definitely a big +1 to wanting true PLP driver support. Regardless, for productivity PLP is truly a godsend - so much desktop space, and so comfortable to use it all.

I've got 1x u2311h and 2x 2001fp's atm, and I want to upgrade over the summer..
I can get rid of the u2311h and replace it with a u2412m for 5120x1200 res or I can get rid of the 2001fp's and get a second u2312hm now and another over the summer for portrait surround..

So.. 5120x1200 vs 3420x1920 for around 50/50 gaming/forum whoreing and then some coding next year when I start school? :p

Sorry if it's not the thread to post this, didn't think my rambling deserved a thread ;)

Oh and pic of the current setup for good measure. :)

IMG_0258.JPG

This thread has made me save up for a PLP setup even if it'll take months. Does anyone know if it'll fit my desk with the speakers? Monitor is a 22" and the desk is 197cm wide.

ocukc.jpg

Foobar looks sick with PLP

foobarplp.jpg

posted this in workstation thread before, but anyway

desk1.png

and lol I see the guy above me has the Aeris to my Yuffie, I need to get Tifa, but Yuffie was an impulse buy from a comic book shop that only had Yuffie and Vincent

LOL I was gonna say, nice Yuffie wallscroll. Mine are just knock offs imported from Japan I have the FF7 one with all the characters in original art form but it looks a bit childish now I'm 25. I wanna replay FF7 once I get a U3011, oh 15 years of nostalga will be epic.

That's not mine I was just using it to show Foobar. Just looks like an industrial kitchen table what you get in pizza shops / restaurants / food factories.

I've sold 2 of my 3 24" monitors and my new HP ZR30w is on its way! Then it's just a matter of picking up a couple of those LG 20" for the sides. Soon my PLP setup will be complete! :D

Soon.jpg

Argh so jealous. How much did you get the ZR30 for? Can't wait to see pics.

About $900 on ebay. It's new but there's a slight cosmetic imperfection with the metal band that runs through the sides, but you can't see it unless you really look for it. Also since HP's warranty starts with the manufacturing date and I guess it's been sitting for awhile, it has about 2.5 years left out of the 3 year warranty. All in all, a decent deal, but not a steal. I'll post up new pics when I get everything set up :)

Yeah, anyone thinking of going LLL I wouldn't recommend doing it with more then 27"s with 24"s probably even being best just from how "wide" it ends up being. 3x30" is 6ft6in across of screen, that's huge, lol.

I'm still enjoying my PLP layout, have had it for couple years now....20x30x20...

I'll have to get a new shot with the new LCD arms that have arrived.

Wow PLP is amazing, going to take a while for me to save up (me and beans on toast are gonna be best friends).

In reply to dudewth it's a skin I made on foobar, I can send you the link if you want.

My little setup with SLi GTX 680's with the accessory display.

1001047l.jpg

My sons with his old Alienware case filling up the space in his desk.

1001048q.jpg

Back